Special Ops Paintball: A Commanders gear set up - Special Ops Paintball

• (3 Pages)
  • +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

A Commanders gear set up What do you carry for the field or what you may need. Rate Topic: -----

#16 User is offline   rcp_90 

• RECON!
  • PipPip
  • Group: Members
  • Brigade Name:rcp_90

Posted 25 February 2009 - 09:18 PM

Maybe I'm missing something, but are you really serious about using maps and compasses on woodsball fields? I would just think if you play a field, you probably already know it well enough that you don't need a map. It might just be me.

Big games and scenarios are, of course, different. Then if you don't have a map... you're sunk, lol
AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA.

#17 User is offline   Blackout007 

• Cpt Blackout
  • PipPip
  • Brigade Name:Blackout007

Posted 25 February 2009 - 09:44 PM

View Postrcp_90, on Feb 25 2009, 11:18 PM, said:

Maybe I'm missing something, but are you really serious about using maps and compasses on woodsball fields? I would just think if you play a field, you probably already know it well enough that you don't need a map. It might just be me.

Big games and scenarios are, of course, different. Then if you don't have a map... you're sunk, lol

Unfamiliar Terrain, I'm a Mil-Sim player so I try to go to the extreme :o You can use them on and off fields, stratagize off field and maybe use it on field if you need based on it's size (mostly biggame scenario types).

This post has been edited by Blackout007: 25 February 2009 - 09:46 PM

Join The Knight Hawk Coalition

#18 User is offline   I.K.E. 

• A Militia of One
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • Brigade Name:I.K.E.

Posted 25 February 2009 - 10:05 PM

View Postrcp_90, on Feb 22 2009, 01:56 PM, said:

I don't buy too much into somebody telling me a commander has to have a certain setup. It's very dependent on your team dynamic.
This line makes total sense. Good Job.

I've got an Sp-8, and I just bought 2 pistols. They're of limited use, but you've got to admit that a pistol and/or dual wielding just looks completely awesome. Part of being in charge is establishing why you should be in charge, and if you look domineering, people respect it.
Bold is also a very good statement. Italics, may be true to a minor extent, but is generally horse hockey.

If you'd said, "You have to look competent", then I'd have given you an A+. But carrying a couple of pistols to look "domineering" makes me think of a guy who likes to boss other people around, but in reality has no idea what he is doing. He will be overly cocky, far too aggressive, and pout like a baby when he loses. (I'm not saying that is you, but that is what I think of.)

The people who choose their leaders solely on the equipment they carry and overall appearance, almost always fall into the "NOOB" category. Don't believe me? Check out the "Funniest thing a noob has said" thread in GPD. You'll find many repeated stories of "These guys thought I was awesome because of my marker." Those stories are common in other threads, and always associated with noobs.

I'll briefly mention the "agg" thing here as well. The whole concept is bereft of common sense and poorly demonstrates the decorum and friendly, sportsman-like quality that is emphasized by the paintball community. Respect in paintball is defined by skill, and positive, sportsman-like attitude. Making a show with your equipment, or even flashy independent "on your own awesomeness" skill for the game is pretty much the antithesis for this particular sport.

If you want to be followed by quality players, think about how you carry yourself at a game. Model competence, confidence, good attitude, and sportsmanship, and these character traits will garner a followership that is unstoppable.
"I love Kaesie because Florentine said so."Bushball is Australian for Woodsball. SOFA Best Grammar '010
Grammar Police Co-Commander Badge #1 IKE & Ike '09 STUDMUFFIN Debater of the 1st Order of Ashrak ASH123
"Overkill is underrated." -Col. John "Hannibal" Smith
Posted Image ... another Staff granted wish.

#19 User is offline   BIGBOSS_202 

• BIGBOSS_202
  • PipPipPip
  • Brigade Name:BIGBOSS_202

Posted 25 February 2009 - 10:56 PM

I can use a map in walk on games aswell. that explains why I have the ID/Map box pouch mounted were it is. That way I can tell the plan in a huddle and not let the guys on the other side see what I'm talking about. I got a motorola t-5000 talkabout and my grenade pouches arn't just for grenades. I also use them for light sticks, lens cleaner, first aid kit, ciggarettes.
JOIN THE WOODSBALL REVOLUTION

#20 User is offline   captain ownage 

• GBG, Splat Tag, Hudson WI. St. Croix Minutemen
  • PipPipPip
  • Brigade Name:cap. andy

Posted 25 February 2009 - 11:28 PM

I agree with big boss on having a large amount of paint avaliable, although movement is crucial. With my SO sabre vest below i have a maximum capacity of 8 pods, which i only totally fill during large scenarios, or 7 pods with a 9 ounce tank for back up. I often times lend out my paint to team mates because as commander i dont always use it all, but sometimes hehe. Since my vest is supported and fitted well, the heavy load doesnt bother me much or slow me down. I will stick it out nearly an entire 8 hour scenario fully loaded. It probably helps that i was a hockey player and in good shape. Hopefully i stay this way for a long time :P

Posted Image

-I always carry spare o-rings for my team and allen renches in my vest puches.
-I have gogle spray and a rag at all times
-I usually carry a 45/68 hp tank or 16 ounce C02 tank
-I have a 40? oz camelbak hydration bladder that fits in my SO vest (which i love)
-I have a map or two during large scenario games.
-One walkie talkie ( i might start bringing 2 to the very big scenario games to keep in touch with team general) (I use a boom mic)
-A couple squeegies
-a few grenades when i have them
I really wish i could run with a sidearm but i dont have the financial ability to obtain one currently. possibly when i get a betters summer job, and dump the girl friend...

i am normally pretty loaded in order to help out my players and keep everybody up and running, but keep everything neatly organized incase i need to get in the crap

like what IKE said it is funny to see the mobs of noobs that will follow me even though they have no idea how i actually play lol

This post has been edited by captain ownage: 26 February 2009 - 12:07 AM

98 custom owner
"The more you sweat during peace...the less you bleed during war"
"Do you know the binary language of moisture evaporators?"--Uncle Owen
If you think paintball snipers don't exist...you obviously haven't been owned by a real sniper.
Team captain of the ST. CROIX MINUTEMEN

#21 User is offline   Saifoda2 

• Sophomore Member
  • PipPipPip
  • Brigade Name:Saifoda

Posted 25 February 2009 - 11:31 PM

As far as the map/compass thing goes.... Ever been to D-Day? If you get in a largely wooded area and pretty much have no idea where you are with no water or food -- you could be in a world of hurt without one or the other (or both) of those items, but yes when you're playing a field you're familiar with, map and compass would be as much of a waste as the team-leader situation I described before using the radio.
Proud to be sponsored by: REDZ, Warpaint International, VPSByte, Action Acres, Dangerous Power
Leaders Lead from the Front

#22 User is offline   Bl33din' Aces 

• Forum Member
  • PipPip
  • Brigade Name:Spartan Ops

Posted 26 February 2009 - 09:38 AM

View PostBlackout007, on Feb 25 2009, 08:54 PM, said:

As for maps and compass, also great catch, they definatly work their wonders for you when your in unfamiliar territory, learning rough map making and scales+topographics using your compass is also a good skill if you have any scouts on your team.

Oh, man. I haven't used a Map and Compass for awhile. But least your right about that and hand signals. I mean, even if you have to know your location and such but other then that you can use the map for other things then location. examples: you wanna try to out flank your enemy, you can plan what moves to make on the map. And hand signals is another way of keeping a low profile.

And no, Never played D-day at Skirmish or at Oklahoma, but i heard both are good events.

This post has been edited by Bl33din' Aces: 26 February 2009 - 09:41 AM

Our Victory is imminent. Welcome to the Spartan Ops Dream!

#23 User is offline   rcp_90 

• RECON!
  • PipPip

Posted 26 February 2009 - 01:53 PM

As far as the map/compass thing goes.... Ever been to D-Day? If you get in a largely wooded area and pretty much have no idea where you are with no water or food -- you could be in a world of hurt without one or the other (or both) of those items, but yes when you're playing a field you're familiar with, map and compass would be as much of a waste as the team-leader situation I described before using the radio.

Definitely agreed, although I've never actually brought a compass to D-day, the maps Skirmish give are good for rough estimates but any precise navigation. I can usually get an idea which way I'm heading based on the position of the sun (the only skill I ever still use from Boy Scouts! lol) My next game, Stalingrad, in 2 weeks: I'm going to tape the map to my brother's back. It makes it very easy to read while walking and is a fantastic way to keep him in his place :laugh:

But carrying a couple of pistols to look "domineering" makes me think of a guy who likes to boss other people around, but in reality has no idea what he is doing. He will be overly cocky, far too aggressive, and pout like a baby when he loses. (I'm not saying that is you, but that is what I think of.)

The people who choose their leaders solely on the equipment they carry and overall appearance, almost always fall into the "NOOB" category. Don't believe me? Check out the "Funniest thing a noob has said" thread in GPD. You'll find many repeated stories of "These guys thought I was awesome because of my marker." Those stories are common in other threads, and always associated with noobs.

I'll briefly mention the "agg" thing here as well. The whole concept is bereft of common sense and poorly demonstrates the decorum and friendly, sportsman-like quality that is emphasized by the paintball community. Respect in paintball is defined by skill, and positive, sportsman-like attitude. Making a show with your equipment, or even flashy independent "on your own awesomeness" skill for the game is pretty much the antithesis for this particular sport.

I couldn't agree with you more. However, this was a gear thread, so I wanted to brag about my pistols :eck: Of course, respect is a two way street. If you respect the people you're in charge of, they'll respect you back. Acting like a jerk will just leave you with a hoarse voice and nothing to show for it. But if you're packing some cool gear, some people's initial reaction to you will be more favorable. The trick is just to keep that respect...

This post has been edited by rcp_90: 26 February 2009 - 01:55 PM

#24 User is offline   I.K.E. 

• A Militia of One
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • Brigade Name:I.K.E.

Posted 26 February 2009 - 09:32 PM

:laugh: Then in my commander "gear bag" I pack confidence, competence, good attitude, and sportsmanship. :D These are the essential pieces of paintball equipment necessary for the job. Mask notwithstanding, you need no other specific equipment to be a LEADER. :mellow: You will need a marker and accessories to play the game, however, because a leader always has to wear multiple hats to keep the team effective.

rcp_90, brag away about dual pistols. I'm ok with you liking them, and thinking you are cool with them. Shucks, I'd probably agree with you if I saw it myself. (I'm imagining it, and it is pretty cool.....except.....why the tiara???:dodgy:)

This post has been edited by I.K.E.: 26 February 2009 - 09:33 PM

"I love Kaesie because Florentine said so."Bushball is Australian for Woodsball. SOFA Best Grammar '010
Grammar Police Co-Commander Badge #1 IKE & Ike '09 STUDMUFFIN Debater of the 1st Order of Ashrak ASH123
"Overkill is underrated." -Col. John "Hannibal" Smith
Posted Image ... another Staff granted wish.

#25 User is offline   Marcus 

• Marcus
  • Pip
  • Brigade Name:Marcus5657

Posted 27 February 2009 - 12:52 AM

View Postrcp_90, on Feb 22 2009, 11:56 AM, said:

I don't buy too much into somebody telling me a commander has to have a certain setup. It's very dependent on your team dynamic.

I've got an Sp-8, and I just bought 2 pistols. They're of limited use, but you've got to admit that a pistol and/or dual wielding just looks completely awesome. Part of being in charge is establishing why you should be in charge, and if you look domineering, people respect it.

I use a UTG tactical vest, remote my gun with a 68/45 N2 tank. I usually go out with as many pods as I can fit on it. I don't know why a commander can't be heavily equipped. I understand you've got to be in charge and blah blah blah, but that doesn't mean you can't shoot anything! Besides, hanging back in the rear (if that's your play style), you can put down some murderous suppressive fire if you feel so inclined.

I agree. I dont see why, just cause your commander and the person in charge, this means you always stay in the back to play it "safe". For me I only use radios with my squad when i split them up, or if its a big scenario game. But besides those situations, i like fighting with my squad and just giving them orders without radios by handsignals or just by talking to them since i would be right next to them anyways... I play as Sabre/commander and i carry an SP8 with a 4 +1 tactical vest. As commander, i usually feel that i should fight with my squad instead of telling them what to do from the back of the field.

#26 User is offline   rcp_90 

• RECON!
  • PipPip

Posted 27 February 2009 - 01:26 PM

View PostI.K.E., on Feb 26 2009, 09:32 PM, said:

rcp_90, brag away about dual pistols. I'm ok with you liking them, and thinking you are cool with them. Shucks, I'd probably agree with you if I saw it myself. (I'm imagining it, and it is pretty cool.....except.....why the tiara???:dodgy:)

Because I make it look good, lol

#27 User is offline   W.C.D 

• EndGame
  • Pip
  • Brigade Name:EndGame

Posted 06 March 2009 - 10:38 AM

I basically just run as a heavy. An a5 with Egrip and the broadsword vest. Plenty of paint. I need a bigger tank however. The fact that im heavy allows me to stay in the game, but hang back and play as supressive fire with my MHG nearby. But really a Cmd can play as whatever he wants. there is definitely no specific load out for this position.
Captain - Shockwave [Canada]
Sponsored by: Save Phace, Northern Reptile, Yeswedoo.com, Pulsars
Shockwave Official Website

#28 User is offline   BIGBOSS_202 

• BIGBOSS_202
  • PipPipPip

Posted 08 March 2009 - 09:31 PM

View PostW.C.D, on Mar 6 2009, 01:38 PM, said:

I basically just run as a heavy. An a5 with Egrip and the broadsword vest. Plenty of paint. I need a bigger tank however. The fact that im heavy allows me to stay in the game, but hang back and play as supressive fire with my MHG nearby. But really a Cmd can play as whatever he wants. there is definitely no specific load out for this position.

There's no argument there. I just figured out how to carry more gear. I used a Blackhawk buttback and attatched it to the back of my vest above my tank and pods and it holds up well. It's a good concept but I would like some feedback on it.

#29 User is offline   rcp_90 

• RECON!
  • PipPip

Posted 09 March 2009 - 05:18 AM

I don't know, if it works for you, fine. I don't know if a Blackhawk buttpack is any different then the issued ones, but the one I have has a zipper. I would think that would make it extremely awkward to use if it were on your back, unless you had an easy way to take it off your back and then put it back on, which again I would still think is weird to do.

If carrying a maximum amount of gear is that important, I used to play with a backpack with no problems, I wasn't necessarily the fastest on my reloads or what have you, but that just meant I learned to be smarter with them. I also played with satchel bags, again good. I suppose you could also use a drop-leg and attach the buttpack to the drop leg. But you have to realize too that putting all this extra bulk makes you a bigger target and probably affects your ability to roll around in the dirt. Whoever made up the classes insists that it'll weigh you down, but as a SAW gunner I can comfortably say that small of an amount of weight doesn't even phase me. Maybe it does for you, but I've never been able to understand that.

It's all a matter of personal preference. Maybe you should examine your style of play and see if you really need to be carrying that much extra gear? It's cheaper to be a disciplined shooter then to just spray arbitrarily, after all! You may also be able to "tetris" the stuff on your vest to have space for it? Although your load out looked kind of full anyway.

#30 User is offline   BIGBOSS_202 

• BIGBOSS_202
  • PipPipPip

Posted 09 March 2009 - 09:09 AM

The buttpack from Blackhawk uses a BTS system and ALICE clips. I normaly use the buttpack to carry an extra tank, some maintence items and my remote line when on the way to the field. It also works when you need to do a outlaw game and need to carry other gear across a street.

Share this topic:

• (3 Pages)
  • +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users