• This topic is locked

Switchblade Dual roles, one player Rate Topic: -----

#16 User is offline   Puzuma 

• That is not dead which can eternal lie,
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Administrators
  • Brigade Name:Puzuma

Posted 05 February 2009 - 09:35 AM

A truly fluid player is comfortable in all positions but has the ability to act as a single position when needed.

There are really only 2positions anyway: Captain and everyone else.
Posted Image
That is not dead which can eternal lie,And with strange aeons even death may die.

#17 User is offline   archanglmikel 

• He is like fire and ice and rage....
  • PipPip
  • Group: Members
  • Brigade Name:archanglmikel

Posted 05 February 2009 - 11:59 AM

View PostPuzuma, on Feb 5 2009, 10:35 AM, said:

A truly fluid player is comfortable in all positions but has the ability to act as a single position when needed.

Ha... spoken like someone who only plays captain!
A multi talented player is going to be more useful to their team than someone who is over specialized, but for milsim and scenario play lets face it, role playing is half the fun. We don't yell for an "on field wipe", we yell "MEDIC!!", despite the fact the "medic" has never even taken a class on basic first aid. He is in fact a bagger at the local grocery store, living out a weekend of life more like tv. "Oh I'm a dagger", no your a hyperactive 15 year old who runs in first cus you have no patience. Lets not mock spec ops for catering to the desire of the role playing paintball player, it was a sound market that simply needed a catalyst to really kick it off. Anyone who has ever picked up a stack of red dowel rods and cheered "I found the dynamite" is guilty too. So if you have ever played along with a story, called out by call signs, or referred to a prop as something other than the prop, you sir played a position whether you named it or not..

And I'm fine with that.

southeast brigade patches coming soon! Archanglmikel's feedback
Avatar made by my wife...please ask before you take...or she'll be forced to use her Freeze Ray.

#18 User is offline   Mobles 

• Better than Mack
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Brigade Name:T-Freak

Posted 05 February 2009 - 12:01 PM

whatever happend to just trying to shoot the other guys??...
Life is short, get off your couch
[IMG-]http://i215.photobuc...eak/meeko-1.jpg[-/IMG]
Posted Image

#19 User is offline   Puzuma 

• That is not dead which can eternal lie,
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Brigade Name:Puzuma

Posted 05 February 2009 - 12:14 PM

View Postarchanglmikel, on Feb 5 2009, 01:59 PM, said:

A multi talented player is going to be more useful to their team than someone who is over specialized, but for milsim and scenario play lets face it, role playing is half the fun. We don't yell for an "on field wipe", we yell "MEDIC!!", despite the fact the "medic" has never even taken a class on basic first aid. He is in fact a bagger at the local grocery store, living out a weekend of life more like tv. "Oh I'm a dagger", no your a hyperactive 15 year old who runs in first cus you have no patience. Lets not mock spec ops for catering to the desire of the role playing paintball player, it was a sound market that simply needed a catalyst to really kick it off. Anyone who has ever picked up a stack of red dowel rods and cheered "I found the dynamite" is guilty too. So if you have ever played along with a story, called out by call signs, or referred to a prop as something other than the prop, you sir played a position whether you named it or not..

And I'm fine with that.

Hardly. I prefer to play as a grunt but I get tossed in the captains chair on occasion. Positions can serve a very valid purpose however the majority of players aren't on an organized team, they tend to be walk-ons or newer players. If I'm a captain I'm not going to worry about them conforming to a specific position. I look at their gear and experience and assign them a task. I'm not going to tell them they can't do something because they have Gear Combo A, are therefor a Dagger and can only perform this type of function.
Posted Image
That is not dead which can eternal lie,And with strange aeons even death may die.

#20 User is offline   shadow_772 

• Never compromise, even in the face of armageddon
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Brigade Name:Shadow_772

Posted 05 February 2009 - 12:17 PM

View PostBIGBOSS_202, on Jan 29 2009, 12:42 AM, said:

maybe, but for a position it's almost like a Rambo because your creeping through the woods and lay into the enemy with full auto. It's almost the perfect clechaie in some ways. Other than that it's more then theasible as a position.

NEW POSITION ANNOUNCED!
"Concealed heavy gunner"

AKA ub3r pwnzasaurous rex!

:dodgy:

And I agree with T-freak
Whats the huge deal with positions....

#21 User is offline   archanglmikel 

• PipPip

Posted 05 February 2009 - 12:19 PM

Even speedball has postions, frontman, mids and back players. and thats just the simple brake down..
The only time you "just shoot the other guy" is a one on one game, anymore than that and some kind of tactics will come into play requiring terminology A.K.A. positions

Avatar made by my wife...please ask before you take...or she'll be forced to use her Freeze Ray.

#22 User is offline   shadow_772 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 05 February 2009 - 12:25 PM

Speed is different than woods. Back players are needed to lane, mids and fronts, snake etc. as well. Much simpler. You have them coming at you from one direction. In woods there are too many variables to have positions. Do a bit of everything and you will be fine. You can pump, or use an electro with +20 bps and do just as good either way.

#23 User is offline   shadow_772 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 05 February 2009 - 12:28 PM

View Postarchanglmikel, on Feb 5 2009, 11:59 AM, said:

And I'm fine with that.

Playing a scenario game is different that "I am a heavy rifleman." You can be set up to do something, but you are better off with a versitile setup.

IMO: Positions are a dumb (mostly) marketing scheme with some good advice in the position descriptions.

#24 User is offline   archanglmikel 

• PipPip

Posted 05 February 2009 - 12:33 PM

View Postshadow_772, on Feb 5 2009, 01:25 PM, said:

Speed is different than woods. Back players are needed to lane, mids and fronts, snake etc. as well. Much simpler. You have them coming at you from one direction. In woods there are too many variables to have positions. Do a bit of everything and you will be fine. You can pump, or use an electro with +20 bps and do just as good either way.

I quite agree speedball is different, and yet the terms like backman and so on are still positions. As far as variables go speedball has plenty of them too.

This post has been edited by archanglmikel: 05 February 2009 - 03:18 PM

#25 User is offline   HOTCH 

• ^i make my own avatars^
  • PipPip
  • Brigade Name:Hotch

Posted 22 February 2009 - 09:10 PM

i see where you're coming from
i guess if you combined the stealth and tactics of an ambush sniper (there is no sniper in paintball) with a very non-snipy marker (dm8? hammer? saw?.. idk) you could lie unnoticed until the correct time, stand up, and lay down heavier fire than a normal ambush sniper could.
Hotch
98 custom with 20" smartparts barrel
limited edition white invert mini
mkx alias rocket launcher

Total Resistance
- demolition

PbN feedback +4/-0

#26 User is offline   Ashrak 

• Precipice
  • PipPipPip

Posted 08 June 2009 - 11:11 PM

View PostBIGBOSS_202, on Feb 5 2009, 12:11 PM, said:

I'm just saying that those of us that do play a specialty position can try and be more fluid in how they play. You can hide wearing the sniper gear and have the Q-Loader on your marker and when you see the opposeing team in your sights, you can either pick them off like a sniper or open up on them with full auto hence the name "switchblade"

How about this plan....

Shoot people. Period.

Don't get shot. Period.

Win.

Position irrelevant Mr. Special Roles. :rolleyes:
Alea iacta est ~ The board is set, the pieces are moving.
~ Like the leaves of the forest when Summer is green, That host with their banners at sunset were seen:
Like the leaves of the forest when Autumn hath blown, That host on the morrow lay withered and strown. ~ Destruction of Sennacherib

~ Believe me, dear Sir: there is not in the American states a man who more cordially loves a union with his country than I do. But, by the God that made me, I will cease to exist before I yield to a connection on such terms as the United States Congress proposes; and in this, I think I speak the sentiments of America. ~ Thomas Jefferson (modernized)
Summertime Blues

#27 User is offline   Anti Hero 

• Pain makes me laugh, seriously.
  • PipPip
  • Brigade Name:λNTI-HERO

Posted 08 June 2009 - 11:32 PM

View Post-SMITTY-, on Jan 28 2009, 04:26 PM, said:

Don't worry about positions. Just play paintball.

Exactly, your niche will be found in time.

#28 User is offline   slinkyaroo 

• Gravity takes over where brains leave off.
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 09 June 2009 - 06:00 AM

Quiet night last night? Let's put this thread back in the vault.

Share this topic:

• (2 Pages)
  • +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • This topic is locked

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users