Special Ops Paintball: Multicam Effort - Special Ops Paintball

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Multicam Effort Painting marker soon, these are the tests so far... Rate Topic: -----

#1 User is offline   FCFER 

• Do Not Go Gentle...
  • PipPip
  • Group: Members

Posted 14 January 2009 - 12:37 PM

So I decided it was time to repaint the old 98C and figured it was time to jazz it up a little.
I'm in the middle of stripping down receivers at the moment, but figured I'd start experimenting with some multicam patterns.

Ultimately, I plan moving on to Duracoat to finish my higher end markers as well as a few firearms.

I'm using Krylon camo (tan) and Krylon pebble in a satin finish.

So far I've only messed with the browns as I can't find a green color to offset the Krylon Camo Olive Green I already have. I tried Krylons Italian Olive(sounds like a salad dressing) in satin, but it was way too close to the Camo Olive to tell much of a difference. So I'm still shopping for a decent green.

For templates, I made my own using sharpie and painters tape. Next batch, I will not use a sharpie. The ink runs onto the project when the satin finished paint hits it.

This is the base color/finish I hope to use when painting the marker. I was pretty pleased with the results for the most part. I just painted some junk I had laying around to get a feel for the patterns and the rattle cans. I'm actually thinking about leaving the finish as is. I'll have to see how it looks once the green layers are added before I make up my mind...

Pics!

First Attempt - Ugly Pod I had in the box
Posted Image

Second Attempt - Apache Loader
Posted Image

Third attempt - Decided to swap out the pebble color with Krylon Camo dark brown for grins on this A5 barrel.
Posted Image

This is the template collection I made. I may look for a better medium for the template as some of the colors did run into each other a bit.
Posted Image

More to come once I find some better colors to work with...
Play Hard, Pray Harder

#2 User is offline   I.K.E. 

• A Militia of One
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • Brigade Name:I.K.E.

Posted 14 January 2009 - 10:00 PM

Use something sticky-backed so that you can stick it on. It will reduce the running.
"I love Kaesie because Florentine said so."Bushball is Australian for Woodsball. SOFA Best Grammar '010
Grammar Police Co-Commander Badge #1 IKE & Ike '09 STUDMUFFIN Debater of the 1st Order of Ashrak ASH123
"Overkill is underrated." -Col. John "Hannibal" Smith
Posted Image ... another Staff granted wish.

#3 User is offline   bob endo 

• Nemesis
  • PipPip

Posted 14 January 2009 - 10:29 PM

I had some good luck matching colors here:
http://forum.specialopspaintball.com/index...howtopic=161910
My office is the absence of corners.

#4 User is offline   THE Biscuit 

• "...The snozberries taste like snozberries..."
  • PipPip

Posted 14 January 2009 - 10:33 PM

View PostI.K.E., on Jan 14 2009, 09:00 PM, said:

Use something sticky-backed so that you can stick it on. It will reduce the running.

Ummmm....that's blue painters tape templates on that cutting board. You need to burnish the edges of your masking material to prevent the paint from bleeding under the edges.

This post has been edited by THE Biscuit: 14 January 2009 - 10:35 PM

"So I'm sorry, but there are some noobs that are just more fun than a barrel of monkeys." -Snatch_Patcherson

#5 User is offline   Snatch_Patcherson 

• Whats a Battle?
  • Pip

Posted 15 January 2009 - 12:01 AM

One thing I would recommend is this. When it comes to masking theres no guarantees unless you're using vinyls pretty much, with masking tape theres always a slight chance of your paint bleeding over to the last layer (trust me, I've learned this several times over in years of working on models), the best thing is to run a round Bic lighter over the edges of your masking tape over and over and force it down as much as possible. If it does bleed a bit (it won't much if you do this) it's not really a big deal, if it bothers you enough you can do what I used to do with model tanks. Once all my stencils have been removed I would often VERY lightly dust the entire area with the base colour. For example if your base is Olive Drab once the work is done and set keep your can about 3 1/2 feet away from the top of the medium vertically, then very quickly move your can over it two or three times and allow the mist to settle on the medium until you're satisfied. It will make for less defined lines between the different colours and give it more of a solid tone.

Another thing you could do to get some natural shapes on the marker is to gather blades of grass, or leaves and place them on the marker and dust the marker with black, this can give your camo some natural shapes, a bit more depth and a more solid feel as well as looking neat ;)

I too am going to be painting my A5 soon, just waiting for my CAR extendable stock to come in from Ebay then I'll get to it after I practice on one of my old starter guns, I'm using Krylon Camouflage colours, I have 3 tones, earth tone, dark green and black, I'm thinking of just sticking with a 3 tone camo since I live in a very denseless forested area and not much more is needed to match with the very green and dark backdrop.

P.S. for you Biscuit take what you will and won't from this since if you own and use your own airbrush you obviously know how to paint, if theres something useful for you here I'm glad, it's also for those skimming for advice on painting.

#6 User is offline   FCFER 

• Do Not Go Gentle...
  • PipPip

Posted 15 January 2009 - 11:10 AM

View PostSnatch_Patcherson, on Jan 15 2009, 12:01 AM, said:

For example if your base is Olive Drab once the work is done and set keep your can about 3 1/2 feet away from the top of the medium vertically, then very quickly move your can over it two or three times and allow the mist to settle on the medium until you're satisfied. It will make for less defined lines between the different colours and give it more of a solid tone.

That sounds great man! I'll have to give that a try on my next attempts. Hopefully this weekend, but something tells me that i'll be on the job instead...

Thanks for all the input guys!
Play Hard, Pray Harder

#7 User is offline   Snatch_Patcherson 

• Whats a Battle?
  • Pip

Posted 15 January 2009 - 12:40 PM

np =) it's kind of nerve racking completely changing the appearance of your baby which in your mind is now almost perfect, but know you could make it quite a bit better, or catastrophically worse....so it's good to learn all you can before taking the plunge.

#8 User is offline   delta recon 

• Recon
  • PipPip
  • Brigade Name:Crack 22

Posted 02 February 2009 - 09:35 PM

Sweet stuff!!!!

Share this topic:

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic