• You cannot reply to this topic

A question of fairness... Rate Topic: ****- 1 Votes

#121 User is offline   The Dirty Samurai 

• The Finger Of God
  • PipPipPip
  • Group: Members
  • Brigade Name:The Dirty Samurai

Posted 22 December 2008 - 10:43 AM

Hey A X I L L A, nice to have you on the Spec Ops Forums. This is Michael from L.O.S.T. Boys.

After much consideration, I believe that a 2 pod limit would be the best route. Players can use whatever marker they want at whatever ROF they want. This will require all players to use more tactics. Sounds like a level playing field to me.

See you at the next tourny
Special Ops Feedback: http://forum.specialopspaintball.com/index...showtopic=52171
PB Nation Feedback: http://www.pbnation.com/showthread.php?t=1547443
The L.O.S.T. Boys(League Of Scenario Tippmanns): http://tobewired.com/reaper

#122 User is offline   Gadget Soldier 

• SoCal Event Poster
  • PipPipPip
  • Brigade Name:Gadget Soldier

Posted 23 December 2008 - 12:24 PM

As a quick update, I have met and talked to David from the WTL and he has a list of suggestions that he has taken from the various forums that this question has been posted. It seems that he is leaning to a paint limit per game with no marker restrictions and as stated before nothing is set in stone yet. I know that when he will have his captains meeting before the beginning of the event, he will talk about the rules and see if everyone agrees and if not, will adjust to ensure everyone is in agreement. I have mentioned to him, that whatever the outcome of the day, he and others that have participated in the event should post up what the updated rules were used and how they felt if it helped or made the situation worse.

Personally, I'm trying to get my team together to come out and participate in this event, but if we can't make the min number of 7, then I will be there to help out in any way I can. At least no matter what, I will get to see what happens and then I can put in my comments that are of my own rather than hearsay.

BTW, he might increase the pod limit to 3 or 4 but again, that's for the team captains to decide.

Gadget
Posted Image
South Western Scenario Forum: http://www.paintball4all.com
Team Knuckle Draggerz proudly sponsored by:
Paintballphotography.com / Paintball Gateway Online Store / Tippmannparts.com / Pinokio Hoppers

#123 User is offline   EpShot 

• Sophomore Member
  • PipPipPip

Posted 20 January 2009 - 01:36 PM

well, turns out it is going to have limited paint with no marker or hopper restrictions

:D

This post has been edited by EpShot: 18 February 2009 - 07:53 PM

#124 User is offline   Gadget Soldier 

• SoCal Event Poster
  • PipPipPip

Posted 16 February 2009 - 01:30 PM

WTL after action report

The WTL for Feb 15 has come and gone and I am glad I have had a chance to participate in it. I know that there were a lot of talk in regards to the rules and does it help in fair play. To be honest, from what I have seen, it depends on how prepared the teams are in this event. I was on Team BanHammer, who was captained by RyantheMighty from PBLive.tv. On this team was members from 3 others teams: Slick and his boys from Bad to the Bone (a Northern Cali team), CheckYer6 from Foxhound Ops, and yours truely, Gadget Soldier from Team Knuckle Draggerz. In all honesty, we did not know how we would fair against teams that have been together for awhile and actually trained! lol

Let me get a few things out of the way first in regards to the rules. At the captains meeting there was only discussion on the amount of paint used and the role of the heavy gunner. First the paint situation, there was a small debate on how much paint a player, other than the heavy gunner, will be carrying with them. Some wanted 2 140 round pods, some wanted 3. With a vote taken, the majority voted for 2 pods. Throughout the day, a lot of player have noticed that they still come back with around 1 pods worth of paint and there has been no complaints of the amount of paint being carried onto the field. The role of the heavy gunner was defined as a player with no marker and hopper restrictions and can carry as much paint as that player can. In fact, if I remember correctly, there were no marker restrictions at all for every player in regards to shooting mode, ie, ramping or shooting full auto was allowed which greatly helped the heavy gunner.

18 teams have showed up to this event and everyone wanted to know how the format would be played out. With the time restriction we had (which was just one day) Paddy was hired to help run the tournament as smooth as possible. With her experience in tournament paintball, her scheduling only allowed the teams, 6 games to play, with all the teams getting a bye game. Why only 6 games? Well think of this, with 18 teams, it will take forever to have every team to play each other. Is it fair? not really because you will not be able to get the chance to play against some of the teams you would want to play against. With this format, a win will get you 3 points, a draw (meaning both teams have players still on the field when time expires) 1 point and 0 points for a loss.

The teams that have showed up were pretty much a mixed grab bag of scenario and tournament (I don't like using the term speedball) teams. Most notably, the LA Hitmen showed up mainly to have fun and to try out this format and of course they eventually won!

These are the teams that have showed to play:
Art of War, BanHammer, Bandless Brothers, Cobra Ballistic, LA Distraction Kids, L.O.S.T. Boys, N.B.K, OCMI, Psycho Clown Posse, Riot Squad, South West Regulators, Special Force, Streight 5150, Suicide Kings, Sunji, Team Gat, Tactical Warriors and the L.A. Hitmen.

As I have mentioned, LA Hitmen won first place, Team Sunji won second and Team Gat placed third. Each team received a trophy and a case of paint for each player with 1st place getting a free ride into the next WTL event.

Now the biggest thing that I noticed all thru the day was that it was a relaxed environment, a willingness to help other teams (I will get to this later) and a friendly competition between the teams here in Southern California. For us scenario players, there has not been an event like this where the individual teams can test out how they fare against other teams in a format like this. Most of the time, we are playing a scenario or big game in which the teams are lumped together on one side or another and just play it that way. There are teams like Psycho Clown Posse, Streight 5150, Suicide Kings and others that have had the chance to go out and practice and even compete in other tournaments like the SPPL and from my perspective, you would think that they would roll over the competition. Well let's just say that Team BanHammer's biggest worry was Suicide Kings and we actually manage to tie them! Also, after every game, every one was thanking each other on a great game no matter the outcome which goes to show that players came out to play paintball and have a good time. There were a few instances of unsportsman-like conduct that happend on the field but that was pretty much overshadowed by the entirety of the game.

Now there is one thing that you will rarely see on any kind of tournament setting and that is where teams will offer up players to other teams that were short handed. Our team met the minimum of the 7 required and we had an extra body and there were a few teams that were short players and were desperate in needing players to make the minimum, so we lent those teams our players and when we were short later in the day some of the other teams even lended a player to us, so that we have our 7. Luckily for us we didn't have to play against the teams that we have lent our players or that would've been a problem. Also I have mentioned, there is also a friendly rivalry between several teams but they also respected each other on and off the field. There may have been some smack talk on and of the field but then afterwards you will see those same players visiting each other at their staging areas.

The one item that made me respect David for his love of the sport and the paintball community was his willingness to support the paintball family through a special raffle. The Suicide Kings recently lost one of their own, Mike 'Benzo' Arellano. Initially, they did not want to come, but David told them that they can come to play for free and to keep that money to be put towards a memorial for Mike. There was a special raffle in which the money would be given to the family and the prizes from that raffle were generously donated. If I remember correctly they were cruises and movie tickets.

With a game like this, of course there will be glitches or delays but after the games get going, it was smooth sailing. How the games went were that before every game, the refs would check all the players except the heavy gunner for the right amount of paint and the chrono. Problem was, they were using up paint that they would be using on the field especially if they were re-adjusting the velocity. They fixed that by having one central station where the teams will chrono, but the person in charge of the chrono station will provide some paint for chrono. The majority of the refs were NPPL and PSP refs and were hired for that day and they were augmented by some scenario players that did not have a team to play on. For the most part, the refs were up to date in regards to the rules and there were very few issues that I have heard of and they did a very good job in what they did in my opinion. The rules are still fluid and will no be set in stone because maybe for the next event the team captains may change up the rules. David took everything in stride and I'm sure that he will be taking any gripe and suggestion into consideration.

Now before everyone gets on their high horse about how the "speedball" teams always place even tho there are rules to "level" the playground, from my perspective it doesn't matter what type of marker you use or the amount of paint or any kind of restriction you place, it's the teams cohesion to work as a unit to get the job done. You could be an established scenario team that have members that have been playing for many years, but unless there are practices for even just the basics on communication, movement and planning, years of experience don't mean anything. That's what I have noticed from teams that have placed. When they were not playing, they were on the sidelines watching and taking mental notes and talking among themselves on what their plan is for both the field they will be playing on and the team they will face. They took the time to get to know the terrain and the teams on how they play and most of all they were very agressive and that's how they get their wins.

Now there are some that do not like this format for one reason or another and all I have to say to them is try it. After you try it and you don't like it, speak up and say what is wrong with it, make improvements rather than bash something you have not tried. This was my first event in this format and I have to say I really enjoyed it. I have never really put in my opinion before because I have not played in it. Now that I have, I can put in my observations and tell you how I felt about it, which I have already. Overall, I enjoyed the quick pace format and it is definately something to add in addition to the big games and scenarios out there, it makes you think about your current situations and your surroundings and with the limited paint, makes you more cautious on how you shoot as well. I hope to bring the team that I am on to the next event but it is a matter of availabilty of the team members to make the minimum 7. Do I recommend it? Yes I do.

Gadget Soldier
WTL Team BanHammer
Team Knuckle Draggerz
www.knuckledraggerz.com
Posted Image
Paintballphotography.com / Paintball Gateway Online Store / Tippmannparts.com / Pinokio Hoppers

#125 User is offline   Spades 

• forum pizzimp
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Brigade Name:sgt. spades

Posted 16 February 2009 - 02:36 PM

yeah, thats dumb, my ex-a5 could shoot easily as my current gun, a PM5, which is cheap, you should argue the gravity fed hoppers thing, people spend money on things for a reason

my motto, change the rules,or dont play lol

Posted Image

#126 User is offline   Gadget Soldier 

• SoCal Event Poster
  • PipPipPip

Posted 19 February 2009 - 08:25 AM

The pics are up for this event!

here at paintballphotography.com:
http://www.paintballphotography.com/index....2&Itemid=26

and here at makeittosunday.com:
http://www.makeittosunday.com/culture/gall...157614034760255
Posted Image

Share this topic:

• (9 Pages)
  • +
  • « First
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users