• You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Chinstraps need to be mandatory I almost was blinded

#31 User is offline   ger 

• Shine
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Members

Posted 20 November 2008 - 11:05 AM

Dang... a spirited conversation in here! Thanks for keeping an eye out Puz.

I own a Profiler (no chin strap obviously) and it fits my face "like a glove", not that a glove would fit on a face but you get the picture. Some folks hate how the Profiler fits their face, that's why they find another mask. I've been gogged more times than I care to admit & it's never moved, because it fits my face properly.

I have no problem w/ companies providing a chinstrap w/ their goggles, it be even better if the strap could be removed without having to permanently cut it.
ger
You bought the brand, not my allegiance.

#32 User is offline   Mech CB 

• Warn: (50%)
  • PipPipPip
  • Brigade Name:Mechanical CB

Posted 20 November 2008 - 02:37 PM

all theyd have to do is put a clip on both ends

#33 User is offline   druid 

• Celtic Warrior - Mo Anam Cara
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • Brigade Name:druidsdecendant

Posted 20 November 2008 - 03:22 PM

View PostMAGneto, on Nov 19 2008, 01:13 PM, said:

View Postdruid, on Nov 17 2008, 12:28 AM, said:

Posted Image

Ok you're old, we get it. As faulty as your logic is, you did make one valid point, really old masks don't have chinstraps.
Keeping with my previous analogy, Really Old Cars didn't have seatbelts, Until intelligent minds prevailed, and safety was given a higher concern.
Goggles are the same way, they have been found to have a safety risk, and higher end companies have reacted to reduce this risk.
I know this stuff is hard for you to understand, so I'll make it super simple for ya.

- All goggles are at risk for being "shot off" especially with the increase of shots per second, now available with current tech. If you don't believe this, go to your local field owner and ask.

- Although wearing your goggles tight may reduce the risk, simple physics dictates that it is still very possible.

- A chin stap, along with a correctly positioned head strap, drastically reduced these risks.

- Not wearing a chinstrap, is like not wearing you seat belt, you may go your whole life without getting in an accident, but if you do, and you not wearing it, you're going to get hurt, and you only have yourself to blame. But those type of people are usually eligible of a DARWIN AWARD , so maybe it'd be best if you personally didn't wear your chinstrap or your seat belt.

- Dye and other high end companies put chinstraps on their masks to reduce the risk, NOT because their masks are more dangerous, but because they have higher standards of safety.
What you are saying, is like arguing that newer cars have seat belts because they are more dangerous than older cars, just retarded.....

I may be old but with age comes enhanced wisdom...which will defeat youthful treachery at all points. My logic is not faulty. Find a mask that fits you properly.
Simple physics doesn't (nor will a chin strap) counter user-stupidity.
To the rest...if you feel that unsafe - quit the game and go huddle into your little Hobbit Hole of tranquility.
Warped A5; M98; 68 Magnum w/ AGD 6-Pack, Automaggot #92 Custom Modder #5
"Political correctness is a doctrine, fostered by a delusional, illogical minority, and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a turd by the clean end."
I got my OWN smiley...

#34 User is offline   Paintsoldier 

• PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 20 November 2008 - 03:44 PM

Hey guys this isn't a flame war, it's a discussion. However, I am not siding with MAGneto because I do disagree. I have seen people shot multiple times on the goggles and not loose them. The reason people loose their masks are because they are improperly adjusted to the users face. If your goggles fit you correctly than there is no need for a chinstrap, which others have try to make clear but, all you are doing is saying their logic is faulty you have yet to explain how. You just reiterate your own beliefs. When you have some facts and new info then please return. In the mean time you may sit quietly behind your monitor and keep your rude comments to yourself.
a.k.a. old_school_player (techpb), paintsoldier (MCB), paintsoldier8 (PbN)

#35 User is offline   druid 

• PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 20 November 2008 - 07:17 PM

View PostPaintsoldier, on Nov 20 2008, 05:44 PM, said:

Hey guys this isn't a flame war, it's a discussion. However, I am not siding with MAGneto because I do disagree. I have seen people shot multiple times on the goggles and not loose them. The reason people loose their masks are because they are improperly adjusted to the users face. If your goggles fit you correctly than there is no need for a chinstrap, which others have try to make clear but, all you are doing is saying their logic is faulty you have yet to explain how. You just reiterate your own beliefs. When you have some facts and new info then please return. In the mean time you may sit quietly behind your monitor and keep your rude comments to yourself.

I agree with you but we didn't start the 'war.' We simply don't agree with his reasoning. He cannot accept that not too many (if anyone) agrees with him and that irritates him to no end. Then, in typical 'agglet' fashion, he resorts to insults to try and get his point across...while throwing "physics" into the mix to make him sound important.

In "book theory" he might be right. In practicality, he's wrong. The mask doesn't fit him properly but he's way too cool to be seen in a better fitting mask, while the other agglets are on the field. He might suffer some ridicule that he apparently can't handle.

If a person is having trouble with a particular mask....that they didn't have with a different mask...what is the common denominator? The troublesome mask. If he has that much trouble, perhaps he needs a headshield. Bet the fanbois will LOVE that...:(
"Political correctness is a doctrine, fostered by a delusional, illogical minority, and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a turd by the clean end."
I got my OWN smiley...

#36 User is offline   Jordy7 

• Desert Edge
  • PipPip
  • Brigade Name:jordy7

Posted 21 November 2008 - 06:05 PM

View Postdruid, on Nov 17 2008, 01:28 AM, said:

Then I took him down, handcuffed him and dragged his miserable behind (with the help of 2 refs) back to the proshop and waited for the PD.

Am i missing something, do you always carry handcuffs on the paintball field ?

#37 User is offline   druid 

• PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 22 November 2008 - 12:15 AM

not really - I'm authorized under PA Law to do so ;)
I got my OWN smiley...

#38 User is offline   Shadowjackal 

• Accuracy through Volume of Fire!
  • PipPipPip
  • Brigade Name:Shadowjackal

Posted 22 November 2008 - 02:01 PM

1. It is very foolish to make fun of people with years more experience than ones self... One of the best players I know wore an old mask called Goggs, or something like that. He also carried an old Pro-Lite and was lethal with it... I always eat his paint...

2. To the point of this thread: I have been using the same JT Spectra mask for years now. This mask is old. I perform regular mantenance on it to keep it safe. One of my first times out this past summer I noticed that my mask was fitting loosely. I always tighten the strap immediately after putting the mask on. No matter how hard I pulled it would not tighten. To get through the day I made a field mod to the mask to keep it safely on. When I got home I ordered a new JT camo strap off of Ebay. I replace my lenses regularly as well; cracked or not. (I recently saw a player with a cracked thermal, amber lense. I approached him and politely pointed this out to him. In years of paintball play, it was the first cracked lens I had ever seen on the paintball field.

3. This thread is a good reminder to me to stress mask safety. My group has a bunch of loaner masks that we loan out to players without equipment. I spend most of my time going over gun safety with them and warning them not to take off their masks. I need to start stressing HOW you safely wear the masks. Thanks!

This post has been edited by Shadowjackal: 22 November 2008 - 02:04 PM

Blessed be the LORD my Rock, Who trains my hands for war, and my fingers for battle. My lovingkindness and my fortress, My high tower and my deliverer, my shield and the ONE in whom I take refuge!

Automags: Because only the best will do!

#39 User is offline   CptObvious 

• Original Join Date- 29th October 2004 - 04:14 PM
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Administrators
  • Brigade Name:CPTOBVIOUS

Posted 22 November 2008 - 02:31 PM

Now, from my personal experience, I've had my mask come off on me once. And since then, I have always used the chin strap that came with it. My mask fits just fine, but it was the impact that caused it to come off. I was at NJ Nam in 06. We were in a heated battle in the main area, where there was a pond with a bridge over it. Me and a team mate rushed across the bridge under fire, and as I came off, I lost my footing in the sand and went down. I had hit the ground chin-first and my mask came off. I had imediatly burried my face in the ground, at the same time my team mate jumped on top of me and was waving to stop shooting.

Ever since then, I've worn my chin strap and have taken falls since, and it hasn't flown off. Now, I've reffed at both Skirmish USA and Atlas Paintball Park. When I gave my breifings before going to the fields, I've always -reccomended- that people use the chin strap. Never have I forced anyone to wear it. For some, they don't need it. I play hard and put my body through some rough landings, so I always use it now. It all comes down to personal preference, and they should never be made mandatory.
US Air Force
Posted Image
Proudly Sponsored by: ANS Gear || Pinokio Hoppers|| Stiffi Barrels || ChroniX Radio
[/b]

#40 User is offline   druid 

• PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 22 November 2008 - 05:12 PM

Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image

The one with the clear lens and visor is my very FIRST mask from 1986. The other I bought 2 years ago on AO. They BOTH take JT Elite Lenses and have new ones in. The straps are rare but work flawlessly.

These are my all-time favorite masks. They cover my face properly AND rarely, if ever, fog. They have NEVER fallen off my face...EVER.

...and they are older than most people registered on this forum.
I got my OWN smiley...

#41 User is offline   Pirate 

• I aim to misbehave.
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Brigade Name:PirateCaptain

Posted 23 November 2008 - 02:23 AM

I'll give you $100 for one of those straps, cause they're super rare and AGG :P
But no seriously I've been wanting to get one of those forever and either can't find them, or can't find them for a sane amount of money.

But here's a bit of proof for the whole 'Good fitting masks stay on yo' face!' theory.
Short Bus from DerDer's Progression
Watch starting at the 2 minute mark (actually, watch the whole thing. It's funny).
Thomas Taylor gets his face blown off, at least three shots to the lens. His mask don't move.
My job is to be an asshole. I excel at the position.
We put our glass to the sky and lift up. And live tonight 'cause you can't take it with ya. So raise a pint for the people that aren't with us. And live tonight 'cause you can't take it with ya...
Austin Michelle Cloyd, Forever in my heart. We love you, Ayesha! Rest in Peace Tyler Hackett
Rest in Peace, Dave Brockie! Cam Cam #83

#42 User is offline   jim762 

• Forum Member
  • PipPip
  • Brigade Name:jim762

Posted 23 November 2008 - 02:38 AM

I am sick and tired of people trying to tell me what i have to do. If i chose to walk on to a paintball field with out a chin strap and my mask falls off, its my fault, not the fields, or the guy that shot me, or the gun manufacturer. MY FAULT. Why is that so hard to understand? If you want to wear a chin strap then wear one, just stay out of my life and how i chose to live it. My not wearing a chin strap has no affect on you or what you do, so why do you care. I guess you won't cross the street because you might get hit by a bus. Maybe we should all wear bubble wrap suits just in case. its my life let me live it.

Sorry for the rant everybody. I just got done reading the whole thread and that combined with some other things going on in my life i had to vent.

May God have mercy upon my enemies, because I won't!
Sponsored by: Urban Ops Armory

#43 User is offline   stevepdx80 

• Forum Member
  • PipPip
  • Brigade Name:stevepdx80

Posted 23 November 2008 - 02:43 AM

10 years of paintball.
never lost my mask ingame.

edit: no chinstrap :D

This post has been edited by stevepdx80: 23 November 2008 - 02:48 AM

#44 User is offline   jim762 

• Forum Member
  • PipPip
  • Brigade Name:jim762

Posted 23 November 2008 - 02:50 AM

I've only been playing a few months and taken a few face shots. my mask hasn't moved. Did see a guys mask slide down as was he walking off the field last week. It was because it was to loose. Not only that I had just shot him in the face not more than 2 minutes before that. So i have to ask, Why didn't his mask fly off?

May God have mercy upon my enemies, because I won't!
Sponsored by: Urban Ops Armory

#45 User is offline   stevepdx80 

• Forum Member
  • PipPip
  • Brigade Name:stevepdx80

Posted 23 November 2008 - 02:58 AM

well, if you want to get quantum, it did fall off. just in a different..universe.

Share this topic:

• (5 Pages)
  • +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users