• You cannot reply to this topic

MacDev II Yes...another one is coming!

#61 User is offline   The Hobbit 

• Formerly Shadowlord
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Members

Posted 22 October 2008 - 12:49 PM

View PostMarauder_Pilot, on Oct 22 2008, 10:27 AM, said:

Hot. I really like that covered bolt, been waiting for something like that on poppets for a while.

The nerve had one back in 03/04.
Posted Image

#62 User is offline   Lomarandil 

• SPPL Junkie -- BlackLight Company
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • Brigade Name:Lomarandil

Posted 22 October 2008 - 01:19 PM

Come on money tree!

I've not seen a single bit of money yet.. only apples.

I got ripped off.

Lo

#63 User is offline   Krazy8 

• User Defined
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Retired/Inactive Moderator
  • Brigade Name:Krazy8

Posted 22 October 2008 - 03:58 PM

View PostZ3R0, on Oct 22 2008, 11:57 AM, said:

The specs still claim the same 1800+ from a 68/45... but I do see the idea behind the sealed system. That's certainly a good idea but other than that and the milling, I fail to see how this is anything more than an 07 with a Yakuza board, basically...

I'm sure it's still going to be a great marker, and I would really love to have one, but I'm just saying, I think I was expecting a little more than a milled 07 with Yakuza and an Evil Pimp-style bolt...

-Z3R0

Yep and the specs of the '07 claim low numbers as well. It is a saftey net built in so idiots will not call the factory and complain when they do not get the performance they expected due to making changes to the settings.
I know I get over a case on mine...that was never advertised.

So I guess you missed the whole redisgned LPR, Valve and air ways, Ram, removable drivetrain...tooless to boot.
New Yak board with a mini USB port...not availible on other Yak boards.
The eyes are self cleaning by the dual oring design of the bolt.
The eye mounts are drilled to accept aftermarket four eye designs.
Clamp on feed neck never used by MD in the past so players can customize easier.

Nope nothing new about it I geuss.

Other that the fact that they redesigned the entire gun.

#64 User is offline   Z3R0 

• Spontaneous Hate Machine
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Brigade Name:Z3R0 (Sledgehammer)

Posted 22 October 2008 - 05:27 PM

I missed the part about the four eyes. That's a pretty cool feature I've always liked about the newer Bob Longs, so it's cool that MD is now the second (as far as I know) manufacturer to produce a marker that can accept that.

USB flashing is cool but I don't see how it's really that big of a deal, the software MD provides with the marker has always been top-notch anyway, so unless the leagues change around their ROF caps again, I don't see it really being that useful... and I kinda think OLEDs are a little overrated anyway.

The older LPR's and valves seem to have worked fine, and the operating pressures don't really seem to have changed much, so unless now the dwell is just ridiculously short, I'm not really seeing the effects of the new LPR, valve, and ram, based on the specs on the paper. I'm sure there is a change in the feel of the marker, though.

Self-cleaning eyes are cool I guess, but I've never had a problem with my Borg chopping (when it works that is...), and I don't hear about it often, so again, not sure how useful it will be in the end. Still a nice feature, though.

Clamp on feedneck like the Ego is somewhat of an upgrade I guess, but the AKA threaded necks seemed to be working well enough. Although now I kinda suspect the clamp-on feedneck may have allowed them to make the body smaller than a Merlin extrusion would have allowed with the AKA threaded necks.

I do realize that they did a lot of work on it to make it easier to strip down and maintain and such but... well I was expecting more bells and whistles that the competition has been offering. Choices between microswitch and optical built-in to the board, magnetic or spring return both simultaneously adjustable, no-fuss LPR cap that is preset to a normal pressure, chirping/talking boards... all of that is being offered by the competition, and for $50 less. This marker was hyped to be the Ego-killer, and I'm confident it will certainly outperform one, but there is no doubt that the Ego has many more user interface features which, while mostly unnecessary, are certainly nice to have. So while the marker may continue the MD tradition of stomping PE in marker quality and performance, I still see PE leading in extra features and the likes.

You might not like my comparison of the RX to a Yak'd and milled 07, but really, I doubt you'd see much difference between them in play. I really don't think MD has managed to reduce the kick anymore considering Borgs already have basically none, I don't think it's going to be much quieter since I've never heard a poppet quieter than an 06 Borg (and only a few spools either). And Cyborgs were already easy enough to teardown as it was...

I'm not trying to knock the marker in any way. I'm just saying that it doesn't really meet what I was expecting. Was I expecting too much? Probably. Did MacDev fail to deliver? I really don't think so. I'm just naturally very, very over critical. So just don't mind me for now as I get used to the RX :P.

And I'm probably still subconsciously frustrated with my 06 Borg, which is probably affecting my opinion of the RX. I'm sure if my 06 wasn't so cursed then I'd be praising the RX the highest out of everyone here...

-Z3R0
Posted Image
Lapco Grey Ghost 2008, Classic Automag, PM8, 06 Cyborg

#65 User is offline   Krazy8 

• User Defined
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 22 October 2008 - 06:31 PM

Well you are right. No talking/chirping board. That would kinda be overkill with a display. ANd I really disliked the Blackheart chirping. The Luxe..ehhh, I don't like waiting for the reply. And I think I have retna damage from looking at flashing lights!

I liked the days of guns having displays to tell you what you were doing...so the OLED appeals to me.
As for the mini USB...that is huge! It means you can upgrade your gun...from your computer! No waiting at an event or shipping your board off to be flashed.

I have heard a few complaints about no gauge for LPR adjustments. The skinny I get there is it is set at the factory....I see that going bad in a hurry! Give a monkey a tool and watch him change everything! But it will lead to sales of the new LPR pressure tool!

As for tear down...
Drive train removal video
To me that is far easier. Can not tell you how many times I fave fought with the cleaning of the low pressure chamber and ram housing in an '06 and '07. This little addition would make that far simpler.

#66 User is offline   Huff n Puff 

• Elite Sabre
  • PipPipPip
  • Brigade Name:HUFF N PUFF

Posted 22 October 2008 - 08:22 PM

Wow, I finally saw it. I am in love.

I wish I had the money. Looks like I know what I'm saving up for. (looks like ramen noodles will be my meals for a while)
Elite Team 6 Rocks
Fire? Yes Please

#67 User is offline   CAN77 

• Forum Member
  • PipPip
  • Brigade Name:CAN77

Posted 23 October 2008 - 01:30 PM

View PostKrazy8, on Oct 22 2008, 06:58 PM, said:

View PostZ3R0, on Oct 22 2008, 11:57 AM, said:

The specs still claim the same 1800+ from a 68/45... but I do see the idea behind the sealed system. That's certainly a good idea but other than that and the milling, I fail to see how this is anything more than an 07 with a Yakuza board, basically...

I'm sure it's still going to be a great marker, and I would really love to have one, but I'm just saying, I think I was expecting a little more than a milled 07 with Yakuza and an Evil Pimp-style bolt...

-Z3R0

Yep and the specs of the '07 claim low numbers as well. It is a saftey net built in so idiots will not call the factory and complain when they do not get the performance they expected due to making changes to the settings.
I know I get over a case on mine...that was never advertised.

So I guess you missed the whole redisgned LPR, Valve and air ways, Ram, removable drivetrain...tooless to boot.
New Yak board with a mini USB port...not availible on other Yak boards.
The eyes are self cleaning by the dual oring design of the bolt.
The eye mounts are drilled to accept aftermarket four eye designs.
Clamp on feed neck never used by MD in the past so players can customize easier.

Nope nothing new about it I geuss.

Other that the fact that they redesigned the entire gun.

Yeah it is like a nicely upped 07 but they did add much more to the gun then competetors did for the DM9 and the EGO9 proportionaly

I love having a display, I have shot a luxe before and you have to listen to the stupid cpu voice and if people around you are talking you cant hear it, not only that but you cant change a setting during a tourny game because of all the sounds of guns being fired.

I dont like the idea of a talking or noise making gun, i'd rather the OLED Disply.

I dont mind not having an LPR gauge once you get to know your gun you wont need it, plus any gauge gunned i have ever owned the gauge just makes it uncomfortable or oquired to hold.

This post has been edited by CAN77: 23 October 2008 - 01:37 PM

#68 User is offline   d4rkmonkey 

• that funky monkey...
  • PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 23 October 2008 - 06:32 PM

View PostCAN77, on Oct 23 2008, 04:30 PM, said:

but you cant change a setting during a tourny game because of all the sounds of guns being fired.

Why would you need to change a setting during a tourny game?
Posted Image
Flickr
Bitches and guns, this is every man's dream. I don't want to go home, where I'm just an ordinary human being...

#69 User is offline   Krazy8 

• User Defined
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 23 October 2008 - 10:47 PM

So you can get a nice penalty! :)

#70 User is offline   ThirdI 

• Elite Weekend 2007 Sportsmanship Winner and 2008 Instructor
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Brigade Name:ThirdI

Posted 23 October 2008 - 10:48 PM

I'm curious about the OLED and night play. It CAN'T be as bad as the chameleon LEDs for giving your position away butI'm wondering just how bright it will be at night. Then again, electrical tape or a spare set of solid grips always works :)

#71 User is offline   Violator 

• The Pirate King / Grammar Cop
  • PipPipPip
  • Brigade Name:The Violator

Posted 23 October 2008 - 11:03 PM

View PostThirdI, on Oct 23 2008, 10:48 PM, said:

I'm curious about the OLED and night play. It CAN'T be as bad as the chameleon LEDs for giving your position away butI'm wondering just how bright it will be at night. Then again, electrical tape or a spare set of solid grips always works :)

OLED's are much dimmer than std. LED's- and most can be adjusted for brightmess (don't know if these can... mod, anyone?) NV will be able to pick it up, but the naked eye would have more trouble. As you said, though, tape and grips are your friend.
This, is my BOOMSTICK!-Ash... (395 Brownie Pts)...Where do you keep your Bucccaneers? Under Me Buckin' Hat!

Ever fire two guns whilst jumping thru the air? No. Ever fire one gun whilst jumping thru the air? No!

#72 User is offline   ThirdI 

• Elite Weekend 2007 Sportsmanship Winner and 2008 Instructor
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Brigade Name:ThirdI

Posted 24 October 2008 - 10:37 PM

Size Comparison Pics
http://i94.photobucket.com/albums/l91/edda...cs/DSCF2442.jpg
http://i94.photobucket.com/albums/l91/edda...cs/DSCF2443.jpg
http://i94.photobucket.com/albums/l91/edda...cs/DSCF2445.jpg
http://i94.photobucket.com/albums/l91/edda...cs/DSCF2440.jpg
http://i94.photobucket.com/albums/l91/edda...cs/DSCF2438.jpg
http://i94.photobucket.com/albums/l91/edda...cs/droid1-5.jpg

#73 User is offline   The Hobbit 

• Formerly Shadowlord
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 25 October 2008 - 09:11 AM

that thing is tiny
Posted Image

#74 User is offline   Tora 

• Yes, that is Barney. My Barney. No you can't have him.
  • PipPipPip

Posted 25 October 2008 - 12:52 PM

Just got back from holding one.
They are very comfortable and very light.
FEEDBACK

My momma raised me the be SHAMELESS!

#75 User is offline   mrwaterbuffalo 

• still lives with his parents
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • Brigade Name:mrwaterbuffalo

Posted 26 October 2008 - 12:26 AM

Good lord, it's like the heroin chic era of markers

and I love it

ಠ_ಠ
Still misses DoN ;_;