• You cannot reply to this topic

New Tech, Old Woods Rate Topic: -----

#1 User is offline   Hurricane 

• Play Hard, Play Smart
  • PipPipPip
  • Group: Members
  • Brigade Name:TheHurricane

Post icon  Posted 23 September 2008 - 08:26 PM

Im the Team Captain of Brute Force, some of you guys know me but i haven't been to active in this thread in while... not to much action happens in here to much anymore. but i wanted to start a new topic that mainly has to do with my paintball team but just a general discussion on how your team MARKER set up goes and how you feel about new tech in an old style. so here i go.

My team has half high end "speed-ball" markers and the other half has traditional woods markers. now i am all for having a woods marker, I've owned a tippmann all my life until a few months ago. and i have no problem with people using them on my team, there reliable and get the job done. But i found myself not satisfied with it anymore and i turned to an Etek... which was created with the woods in mind. my Etek shoots cleaner and "softer" (not picky with paint) then my old tippmann does. not to mention is faster and more accurate so i like my Etek, but i will never sell my X7 its to much my baby. my buddy also uses an Angel 4 same as me he likes the firepower (and I'm not talking about 30bps, i mean a liberal dose of paint :P), ease of space in turning the marker, and the ease of firing it. but can it be dropped into a river - no. so my team is rounded as i say. We have 2 heavy or broadswords, me and my friend with his angel. 3 medium or sabers one with a Proto SLG, and the others with A5's all of which perform fantastically, and then my friend up front light or dagger who uses an A5 or SLG also. were a strict woods team, we don't like being restricted on a speedball field. we like to roam free :) so my question to open a discussion in this.

- Who likes new tech in the woods?
- would you like New Tech on your team?
- do you think it helps in some ways?
- what do you prefer as a player, New Tech or Strict Woods?

please no flaming, thats lame stuff :)

- Hurricane.
Team Brute Force
Generously Sponsored By:
Planet Eclipse | PnL Paintball | Valken | Visions Edge | Exalt | Energy Batteries

#2 User is offline   Paintsoldier 

• PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 23 September 2008 - 08:37 PM

I'd rather shoot a mechanical or a pump in the woods but, I can't deny that highend electros' firepower can be helpful in the woods. Who needs a hammer when a trigger-happy teenager with an Ego can do 25bps anyway?
a.k.a. old_school_player (techpb), paintsoldier (MCB), paintsoldier8 (PbN)

#3 User is offline   Hurricane 

• Play Hard, Play Smart
  • PipPipPip

Posted 24 September 2008 - 06:41 AM

View PostPaintsoldier, on Sep 23 2008, 11:37 PM, said:

I'd rather shoot a mechanical or a pump in the woods but, I can't deny that highend electros' firepower can be helpful in the woods. Who needs a hammer when a trigger-happy teenager with an Ego can do 25bps anyway?

i agree. the hammer position was set up for the sales of the DT A5's, which is no longer on the marker. with the start of new tech that can be used in the woods with good accuracy, gas rate, etc (ego's & etek's) they are the new hammer guns, i love specops and there milsilm look, hence why i will never sell my tippmann but side by side. an etek just shoots better. but i guess the only reason i am a etek user is because i got it for the same price as my tippmann, i wouldn't spend 700 on a gun :laugh: also keep in mind the former longbow and Q-bow are made off a new tech marker...
Team Brute Force
Generously Sponsored By:
Planet Eclipse | PnL Paintball | Valken | Visions Edge | Exalt | Energy Batteries

#4 User is offline   Z3R0 

• Spontaneous Hate Machine
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Brigade Name:Z3R0 (Sledgehammer)

Posted 24 September 2008 - 07:01 AM

The Longbow and Qbow were based off the AGD Tac-One... wouldn't really call a Mag a "new tech" marker...

-Z3R0
Posted Image
Lapco Grey Ghost 2008, Classic Automag, PM8, 06 Cyborg

#5 User is offline   Hurricane 

• Play Hard, Play Smart
  • PipPipPip

Posted 24 September 2008 - 07:19 AM

View PostZ3R0, on Sep 24 2008, 10:01 AM, said:

The Longbow and Qbow were based off the AGD Tac-One... wouldn't really call a Mag a "new tech" marker...

-Z3R0

no, no, no, what i meant was that the gun itself without the kits is a new tech.
Team Brute Force
Generously Sponsored By:

#6 User is offline   Z3R0 

• Spontaneous Hate Machine
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Brigade Name:Z3R0 (Sledgehammer)

Posted 24 September 2008 - 07:29 AM

And what I meant was that Automags aren't really "new tech."

-Z3R0
Posted Image
Lapco Grey Ghost 2008, Classic Automag, PM8, 06 Cyborg

#7 User is offline   Hurricane 

• Play Hard, Play Smart
  • PipPipPip

Posted 24 September 2008 - 08:12 AM

View PostZ3R0, on Sep 24 2008, 10:29 AM, said:

And what I meant was that Automags aren't really "new tech."

-Z3R0

oh i gotcha
Team Brute Force
Generously Sponsored By:

#8 User is offline   The Bear 

• The Bear
  • PipPip
  • Brigade Name:Ghost Bear

Post icon  Posted 24 September 2008 - 09:35 AM

My team is a mixed bag.

I have a Tactical 4 from ATS (the M16 looking thing in my sig) that I think would be considered new tech (its a blow forward design, mechanical, but still offers full auto and NO CHOPPING!!) but was almost made for the woods. (In reality, force on force training for military and police oganizations, but works for woods too...). I can run it with 25 round mags (like the real thing) or put a hopper adapter mag in it and accept my Saber self. I've got a sight rail with BSA red dot sight on it. I also carry a Zeus in bigger games as a sidearm.

My brother, our dagger, favors his Phantom which he has upgraded with a better trigger, 15 ball mag, an 3.5 oz CO2 tank or his two Zues's, which he has used with great success. (In big games, he might be carrying all three).

Our other saber has an Ion, and I beleive has just purchased a Shocker, which he has also made work very well in the woods. (Except for that dang blue LED that gives him away in the dark regions....)

Our Broadsword carries a tricked out A5, R-Trigger, Flatline, sightrail with red dot, and CAR stock.

We two sabers are running HPA while Dagger and Broadsword are going with CO2 for now. Dagger for obvios reasons, Broadsword is waiting for a few paychecks to come in..:o

So, we've got a little of everything, mechanicals, electros, pumps, pistols, mil-sim, woodsball, speedball, whatever. It works. Each person has developed their "style" and works well within it. We practice as a team so our styles learn to mesh and everything works out great. Theres not so much fun in paintball if your required to use a certian marker or something that you don't like or don't work well with. Personally, I'd love to see the entire team with ATS markers going full mil-sim woodsball, but thats not fair to the rest of the team who might not share my vision. We have fun, thats all that matters in the end.

Bear
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image

#9 User is offline   Hurricane 

• Play Hard, Play Smart
  • PipPipPip

Posted 24 September 2008 - 04:59 PM

View PostThe Bear, on Sep 24 2008, 12:35 PM, said:

My team is a mixed bag.

I have a Tactical 4 from ATS (the M16 looking thing in my sig) that I think would be considered new tech (its a blow forward design, mechanical, but still offers full auto and NO CHOPPING!!) but was almost made for the woods. (In reality, force on force training for military and police oganizations, but works for woods too...). I can run it with 25 round mags (like the real thing) or put a hopper adapter mag in it and accept my Saber self. I've got a sight rail with BSA red dot sight on it. I also carry a Zeus in bigger games as a sidearm.

My brother, our dagger, favors his Phantom which he has upgraded with a better trigger, 15 ball mag, an 3.5 oz CO2 tank or his two Zues's, which he has used with great success. (In big games, he might be carrying all three).

Our other saber has an Ion, and I beleive has just purchased a Shocker, which he has also made work very well in the woods. (Except for that dang blue LED that gives him away in the dark regions....)

Our Broadsword carries a tricked out A5, R-Trigger, Flatline, sightrail with red dot, and CAR stock.

We two sabers are running HPA while Dagger and Broadsword are going with CO2 for now. Dagger for obvios reasons, Broadsword is waiting for a few paychecks to come in..:eck:

So, we've got a little of everything, mechanicals, electros, pumps, pistols, mil-sim, woodsball, speedball, whatever. It works. Each person has developed their "style" and works well within it. We practice as a team so our styles learn to mesh and everything works out great. Theres not so much fun in paintball if your required to use a certian marker or something that you don't like or don't work well with. Personally, I'd love to see the entire team with ATS markers going full mil-sim woodsball, but thats not fair to the rest of the team who might not share my vision. We have fun, thats all that matters in the end.

Bear

awesome post, now thats what I'm talking about. and i think that was the phrase i was looking for, the players personal style.

-Hurricane
Team Brute Force
Generously Sponsored By:

#10 User is offline   Eagle Eye 

• I am Become Death, Squeegier of Worlds.
  • PipPip
  • Brigade Name:BattleSpam

Posted 25 September 2008 - 09:31 PM

when i roll with the 101st path at OK D-Day, we are a mixed bag. Several of us have elecros, and apply a liberal amount suppressive fire. But several of us run with Tippy's and work out just the same. Quite frankly, in normal play when i run with my Ego i don't go all out. I shoot in bursts, which a tippy with response trigger can do just fine. Hell, i've played with a pump and rolled just fine. It's not so much how much paint you put out as much as where you put it. and despite what today's electros can shoot, there is always a place in my heart for the Double Trouble. :dodgy:

really, to me paintball in the woods is more about the player using terrain than what gun he is shooting.
Posted Image
Posted Image
The Paintball Sniper has already done the first step: convince you they don't exist.
Allied Superior Meritorious Service Medal recipient: D-Day 2008
"There is no "fixing" a Tippmann ... if it didn't work, there is only one reason .... you tried to clean it. Any problem a Tippmann has can be easily fixed by adding more dirt, preferably to the internals, followed by 3 drops of oil." -- Acara

#11 User is offline   Violator 

• The Pirate King / Grammar Cop
  • PipPipPip
  • Brigade Name:The Violator

Posted 26 September 2008 - 12:26 AM

View PostEagle Eye, on Sep 25 2008, 09:31 PM, said:

really, to me paintball in the woods is more about the player using terrain than what gun he is shooting.

I couldn't agree more. Been playing paintball before there was a "woodsball" or "speedball" and it really comes down to the player. Kinda like any machine, the success or error usually lies with the operator.

I have seen newbs with semis get owned by vets with pumps and vice versa. I own and play with all sorts of markers, and it really all comes down to what you do with what you have. I've seen folks with "durable" Tippmans have major problems because they knew nothing about their gun and beat the heck out of it, and I've played hundreds of hours with mid and high-end tourney guns (and Tippis) with nary a problem. Whatever you play with, you need to know it inside and out (literally) and know its strengths and weaknesses in various conditions and situations.

You could have an old, second-hand pump or semi, but if you learn how to properly maintain and tweak it, it will be as reliable as anything out there. Players need to find a marker that they are pleased with not only shooting comfortably and accurately, but one they can repair, maintain, and upgrade (if they wish) easily. Not everyone needs to be a top airsmith, but the basics are a must for reliable play.

Bottom Line: If you neglect/abuse your Tippmann, 'Cocker, Angel, Ego, etc. - you will pay a price at some point, it's that simple. Most teams I have played on in the woods always had mixed gear, and I can't remember a single time where we lost because someone had the "wrong" gun.

Tactics, like the truth, will set you free...

This post has been edited by Violator: 26 September 2008 - 12:34 AM

This, is my BOOMSTICK!-Ash... (395 Brownie Pts)...Where do you keep your Bucccaneers? Under Me Buckin' Hat!

Ever fire two guns whilst jumping thru the air? No. Ever fire one gun whilst jumping thru the air? No!

#12 User is offline   Hurricane 

• Play Hard, Play Smart
  • PipPipPip

Posted 26 September 2008 - 11:57 AM

that makes the most sense for a woodsball player. people are put into stereo-types with there guns when its how they play that effects what kind of player they are. lets face it. speedy guns in the woods means nothing if you don't know how to play to win the game.
Team Brute Force
Generously Sponsored By:

#13 User is offline   rookiebird187 

• the shredder...
  • PipPip
  • Brigade Name:rookiebird187

Posted 26 September 2008 - 01:08 PM

With the team I'm on, Strength and honor, we started out all a couple years ago shooting purely tippmanns. Mainly the tippmann A-5. We all had e grips and thought we could keep up with the high end electro's. All was goin well until a scrimmage against a specific team from Utah named "Desert Edge". They were all shooting ego's. They rolled us pretty hard that day. Although I had so much fun I could've cared less. But regardless we still got slaughtered. Literally they were shooting with ball on ball accuracy.

Fast forward to this year's oregon SPPL. About half of the team is shooting mid-high end electro's. I think me and another guy are the only ones still clinging to our tippmanns. We end up getting 4th place. Not bad.

Then comes honorbound. Ortac, using mostly tippmanns, rolls over the other teams in the scenario. Beating out a lot of high end electro's.

Well what does that all mean Bassel?

Basically my theory (not saying its right, just saying my opinion) is in venues such as the SPPL, having an mid-high level electro helps on many levels. It will not win you the tournament, but it will definitely help and give you an advantage. You might be shooting an old pump wit crazy consistant accuracy. But know that once you let that first shot go you'll probably have roughly 30-40 balls in the air towards you. If you were able to clone yourself and play yourself in an SPPL game and gave 1 a phantom pump, and the other a 2008 ego , I would say the ego clone wins 99 times out of 100. Of course someone who's been playing for 10+ years will have the natural skill to overcome a kid with a high end electro shooting 15bps+. But the kid will still have a fighting chance. He'll have a lot better chance with the ego then if he played with the phantom.

However for you die hard scenario goers out there, tactics and skill will overcome technology and dollars spent on gun materials especially in a larger scenario where there are a lot more factors then say an sppl game.

Like i said, all just my opinion! good topic though i look forward to hearing what others say!

Proudly Sponsored by Special Ops paintball

#14 User is offline   ger 

• Shine
  • PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 26 September 2008 - 01:16 PM

I see every kind at the woodsball field I play at: $900 electros - $900 A5's - $90 98's - even a guy who breaks out one of those Bow-n-Arrow things every once in a while (which by the way is terrible from what I've seen). Nothing is off limits, and nobody seems to care. As long as it will chrono below 280 - knock yourself out. If you can use the right people in the right places, you can win - i.e. don't have the guy w/ the stock class phantom laying suppressive fire all over the place.

View PostViolator, on Sep 26 2008, 03:26 AM, said:

Bottom Line: If you neglect/abuse your Tippmann, 'Cocker, Angel, Ego, etc. - you will pay a price at some point, it's that simple. Most teams I have played on in the woods always had mixed gear, and I can't remember a single time where we lost because someone had the "wrong" gun.

Couldn't agree more. I think it's rediculous when guys w/ full milsim kits look down their noses at anyone rocking "speedball" markers, thinking they'll break as soon as the enter a treeline - on the flip side, it's equally rediculous for guys toting electros to think there isn't an A-5 in the world that can be used against their Ego. It's not about the marker, it's about the player.

View PostViolator, on Sep 26 2008, 03:26 AM, said:

Tactics, like the truth, will set you free...

Brilliant... simply brilliant.
ger
You bought the brand, not my allegiance.

#15 User is offline   Hurricane 

• Play Hard, Play Smart
  • PipPipPip

Posted 28 September 2008 - 05:43 PM

Well Put.
Team Brute Force
Generously Sponsored By:

Share this topic:

• (2 Pages)
  • +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users