Special Ops Paintball: Sniper Footwear - Special Ops Paintball

• (3 Pages)
  • +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Sniper Footwear What're you runnin on to keep you quiet? Rate Topic: -----

Poll: Sniper Footwear (82 member(s) have cast votes)

What do you wear to keep quiet?

1. Cleats (8 votes [9.64%])

Percentage of vote: 9.64%

2. Combat boots (36 votes [43.37%])

Percentage of vote: 43.37%

3. Hiking boots (19 votes [22.89%])

Percentage of vote: 22.89%

4. Other (do tell) (20 votes [24.10%])

Percentage of vote: 24.10%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#1 User is offline   REBELS_PEACHZ 

• I have ADD, you wouldn't understand....LOOK A SQUIRREL!
  • PipPip
  • Group: Members
  • Brigade Name:PEACHZ

Posted 16 September 2008 - 09:34 PM

Just wondering what everyone else puts on their feet. Was using my ACG's until I lost them in the mud on a far side flank. That and they were losing traction. So now I'm trying out a set of Combat/Jungle boots. Light, pretty comfy and we'll see how quiet they are during my stalks on sunday. What about you guys?
Official Sabre #75 If We Cant Do It, It Doesnt Need To Be Done!
Christian Paintballer
Tippmann Owner's Club #112

#2 User is offline   Legato 

• AKA reapermen - AKA Legaqua - Resident Brass Whore
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Retired/Inactive Moderator

Posted 17 September 2008 - 04:05 AM

I used to wear sneakers. Now i just wear hiking boots. Love em better. Better traction all around. I wear em indoor too. It's all i'll wear now
"I think wearing camo is dishonorable. No honorable player would pretend to be a tree or bush."Posted Image My Gallery - Ninja/Pirate Alliance - Marker Animations Posted ImageSpec Ops Posted Image Pump CrewSig Rules - Gen Rules & Regs - Avatar Rules - Warn Level/Reduction - Forum FAQs - Ultimate Pump Sticky - PDT

#3 User is offline   thisissparta 

• Tonight, We Dine In Heck!!
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Brigade Name:thisissparta

Posted 17 September 2008 - 04:31 AM

I have a pair of Pumas that are made for trail running, and they work really well for woods and speed. However, I'm out growing them, so I'll be watching this thread...

My buddy plays in Adidas Sambas, and never falls or slips or anything. I might just get a pair of those.
The Spartan Armory: 98 Custom, Spyder e99 Avant, Tippmann A5, PMI-1, Splatmaster, SL-68 II, Classic Mag, Nel-Spot 007, WGP Sniper II (~95), DM5, SL-68II, Dye Reflex, Sideline Duckslide, Pro-Carbine, Piranha LB, Splatmaster, PG convert, Tippmann Pro-Lite, K-Framed Palmer's Paladin, T8 with TRG and milling work, SA-8, Gargantom, Custom Cocker
Feedback: SO Forum (+13/-0) MCB: (+24/-0) I love Kaesie. Fact: I am a ninja.

#4 User is offline   RAYC22B 

• Sophomore Member
  • PipPipPip
  • Brigade Name:John Hatcher

Posted 17 September 2008 - 09:42 AM

I rock JT cleats...they have a shoelace cover on them so branches don't get caught in them...they rule!

#5 User is offline   Brainshot 

• Forum Member
  • PipPip

Posted 17 September 2008 - 10:16 AM

Well between the 3 choices you posted (cleats, combat boots, or hiking boots), here's what i have to say.

Cleats.
These are great for speedball or if you know you'll be running A LOT. Cleats I think are ideal for a speedballer or someone playing "Dagger" in woodsball. For a sniper, not so great, because the cleats will crunch leaves very loudly and cause excessive noise.

Combat Boots.
A great overall choice for any woodsballer. These provide comfort, cushion, and some softness of walking in a wooded environment. I normally wear one of my old sets of phased out black combat boots from the Army.

Hiking Boots.

IMHO, this is your best option... of the 3 choices you listed. Hiking boots provide all of the benefits of combat boots, AND more. Though they may not be as rugged, these will give you the "softest step." Hiking boots tend to be very padded, and usually have a VERY good sole on the bottom. Really, all it comes down to is what kind of sole you're walking on.

There are some very expensive combat boots that have amazing soles. I bought a set of Blackhawk's for Afghanistan, and they are absolutely amazing. It's a rugged boot, with the feel of a sneaker. I wouldn't go out and spend that much money on boots for paintball though. Just use what you have handy. Even thought it might look weird, a good set of sneakers would also do nicely for trying to soften your step.

This post has been edited by Brainshot: 17 September 2008 - 10:18 AM

#6 User is offline   betasniper 

• A four dimensional object
  • PipPipPip
  • Brigade Name:betasniper

Posted 17 September 2008 - 10:59 AM

i've heard that moccosins are quieter than boots, but can't be sure cause i dont have a pair. i personally just put on what i find and that ussually ends up being an old pair of hiking boots. their pretty quiet, but lack the traction they once had. i dont move much on the field, so i dont care how much traction they have. but thats my 2 cents
Wikipedia is the Walmart of knowledge, they have everything, but it is all tainted one way or another. If you spit on your monitor, your saliva becomes a rainbow, this is Microsoft's form of "optimism". One way to know if your lazy is if you use print preview, because you can't press the print button your self.
Zdspb-Marker Animations Long list of working markers, visit if confused Click here!!! Auxiliary Grammar Police #13 225Bp
If you collect coins, you're an economist. If you collect rocks, you're a geologist. if you collect death threats, you're the president.
"Most people swear by there A-5 I tend to swear at mine instead."-Long Wood, MY AWESOME WEBSITE!!!once you've gone shameless, you'll never go blameless As I lay in bed, I looked at the stars and thought, where the hell is my ceiling? "I want to die in my sleep like my grandfather... Not screaming and yelling like the passengers in his car..

#7 User is offline   stevezissu 

• Forum Member
  • PipPip
  • Brigade Name:stevezissu

Posted 17 September 2008 - 09:04 PM

just my daily shoes

#8 User is offline   JackRock 

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Brigade Name:JackRock

Posted 17 September 2008 - 09:16 PM

I find, after several years in an LLVI team, that footwear means almost nothing for silence when walking. Frankly, if you are looking to be silent, you should be not moving. If you must walk, and you must be quiet at the same time, learning to step softly (it's a technique, not a piece of footwear) and moving VERY VERY VERY slowly is what you need to do.
This is my sig. There are many like it, but this one is mine. My sig is my best friend. It is my life. I must master it as I must master my life. My sig, without me, is useless. Without my sig, I am useless. I must type my sig true. I must spell better than my enemy who is trying to judge me. I must type before he ridicules me. I WILL... My sig and I know that what counts in this forum is not the rounds we fire, the noise of our burst, nor the splatter we make. We know that it is the hits that count. WE WILL HIT... Before the Admins, I swear this creed. My sig and myself are the defenders of my forum. We are the masters of our enemy. WE ARE THE SAVIORS OF MY PROFILE. - Tippmann Owner #pi

#9 User is offline   REBELS_PEACHZ 

• I have ADD, you wouldn't understand....LOOK A SQUIRREL!
  • PipPip
  • Brigade Name:PEACHZ

Posted 18 September 2008 - 04:11 PM

View PostJackRock, on Sep 17 2008, 10:16 PM, said:

I find, after several years in an LLVI team, that footwear means almost nothing for silence when walking. Frankly, if you are looking to be silent, you should be not moving. If you must walk, and you must be quiet at the same time, learning to step softly (it's a technique, not a piece of footwear) and moving VERY VERY VERY slowly is what you need to do.

Very true, no movement is best, hands down. And watching your step never hurts. But, an awesome sniper I play with swears by his pair of Etnies. We got into a duel one sunday and I barely saw him BOUNDING towards me and didn't hear a thing. Since I'm getting in to that aspect of the game, thought I'd see what guys elsewhere like to use.

Thanks for the input JackRock (LLVI means what?).
Official Sabre #75 If We Cant Do It, It Doesnt Need To Be Done!
Christian Paintballer
Tippmann Owner's Club #112

#10 User is offline   -SMITTY- 

• one of the original 27,731 members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • Brigade Name:-SMITTY-

Posted 18 September 2008 - 04:35 PM

I said boots, but for me, what I wear is just about being comfortable. Being quiet is knowing where and how to step. When running, nothing will keep you quiet.

#11 Guest_Woodland Warrior_*

• Group: Guests

Posted 18 September 2008 - 04:56 PM

I always wear hiking boots. Another way to be more quiet is to put the ball of your heel down first, then the middle of the foot, then the toes.

#12 User is offline   JackRock 

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Brigade Name:JackRock

Posted 18 September 2008 - 05:03 PM

LLVI is short for "Low Level Voice Intercept". It's a type of team in Signals Intelligence army divisions, similar in almost every respect to Marine Radio Recon.

Yeah, we had to move quiet through terrain of hell to get to our vantage points. Silence was a luxury with 90-lb. rucks.
This is my sig. There are many like it, but this one is mine. My sig is my best friend. It is my life. I must master it as I must master my life. My sig, without me, is useless. Without my sig, I am useless. I must type my sig true. I must spell better than my enemy who is trying to judge me. I must type before he ridicules me. I WILL... My sig and I know that what counts in this forum is not the rounds we fire, the noise of our burst, nor the splatter we make. We know that it is the hits that count. WE WILL HIT... Before the Admins, I swear this creed. My sig and myself are the defenders of my forum. We are the masters of our enemy. WE ARE THE SAVIORS OF MY PROFILE. - Tippmann Owner #pi

#13 User is offline   ger 

• Shine
  • PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 19 September 2008 - 09:53 AM

View PostJackRock, on Sep 18 2008, 12:16 AM, said:

learning to step softly (it's a technique, not a piece of footwear) and moving VERY VERY VERY slowly is what you need to do.

QFT

Footwear has very little to do w/ the sound of your footsteps while creeping. That pile of sticks is going to make all kinds of noise when you step on it whether you're in cleats, boots, or stocking feet. Watch your step out there & you'll be next to silent. On the otherhand, their is a difference when moving fast - the sound of my 180 pound frame plus gear wearing NB trail shoes is much less than that of my friends of equal or lesser weight in their combat/hiking boots when we are quickly moving down a trail to an objective. They can sound like a stampede of elephants.
ger
You bought the brand, not my allegiance.

#14 User is offline   Piller 

• Piller
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Brigade Name:Piller

Posted 24 September 2008 - 06:16 PM

If you want to go extreme get moccasins. While I agree that technique is what is most important in walking quietly, having a shoe with as much flex as moccasins can take it to the next level.

However, I personally use whatever cheap hiking boots I can find. They have good traction, usually a somewhat softer sole, and most importantly they have ankle support.

This post has been edited by Piller: 24 September 2008 - 06:19 PM

Automaggot #123 - Pump User #152 - ICE Epic Owner
"Marketing hype in paintball?! The nerve of some people. After all, we paintballers would never throw our hard earned cash into the magic box of marketing hype."

#15 User is offline   Violator 

• The Pirate King / Grammar Cop
  • PipPipPip
  • Brigade Name:The Violator

Posted 27 September 2008 - 12:44 AM

Played with a guy in the early 90's in upstate NY who was an ex-marine (not a sniper) and part Native American. He swore by moccasins- the high, boot-style ones. I'll admit, he was pretty darn quiet in them, but he wore them everywhere and hiked/tracked game, so he did have lots of pratice walking silently.

In my youth, I tried combat boots, sneakers, hiking boots, and even a pair of padded Tabi Socks (the split-toed things that Ninja wear).. what can I say, I was a kid :ninja: ?!?

The Tabi Socks actually were really good for silent movement across most terrain, but they were far from practical. They wore out quickly, soaked up water/sweat like a sponge, and offered no ankle support.

Ultimately, it's how you move that makes the most difference, and I use combat/tactical boots for the most part, now.

Still, those Ninjas ARE deadly... maybe they were onto something.
This, is my BOOMSTICK!-Ash... (395 Brownie Pts)...Where do you keep your Bucccaneers? Under Me Buckin' Hat!

Ever fire two guns whilst jumping thru the air? No. Ever fire one gun whilst jumping thru the air? No!

Share this topic:

• (3 Pages)
  • +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users