• You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Games in Glouster, OHIO Rate Topic: ****- 3 Votes

#1246 User is offline   AsphyxiateHeart 

• PipPipPip
  • Group: Members
  • Brigade Name:Invictus07

Posted 02 March 2010 - 09:28 PM

Except that poppets are BLOW FORWARD- and are much gentler on paint. You can say all you want about the design, but the take home point is greater efficiency, softer on paint, blow forward...
It takes a long time before you learn to play like yourself - Miles Davis

"We used to tell them in Outward Bound, when a parent would come and ask us, ["Can you guarantee the safety of our son, Johnny?"] And finally we decided to meet it head-on. We would say, ["No. We certainly can't Ma'am. We guarantee you the genuine chance of his death. And if we could guarantee his safety, the program would not be worth running. We do make one guarantee, as one parent to another. If you succeed in protecting your boy, as you are doing now, and as its your motherly duty to do, you know we applaud your watch dog tenacity. You should be protecting him. But, if you succeed, we guarantee you the death of his soul!"]" -Unsoeld

#1247 User is offline   scoobshagg 

• Sophomore Member
  • PipPipPip

Posted 02 March 2010 - 10:00 PM

You know kids, I've got to say that having read all the post that get posted on here over the last 2yrs. that I find it so cool that we have so much great information floating around between us all. I mean were else can I or anyone in/out of our group can access this info. Andrew over the last year and half I've watched your information about Paintball Grow and Grow. JKR I always knew you were a wise sage of paintball and you prove it time and again. I just wanted to take a minute and note how great it is to have all of you on this thread as a resource. I couldn't get this kind of info at a random paintball shop if I tried, I'm sure I would get good info about some things or a certain kind of marker but not an over all knowledge like I can here.

Tim

Ok now to go and read that article that JKR posted...

#1248 User is offline   AsphyxiateHeart 

• PipPipPip

Posted 02 March 2010 - 11:07 PM

I believe I shall make my final point here...before I get too involved in this. Let me first point out that I never said closed bolt was more accurate than open bolt. I will admit to that I said spools are believed to be softer on paint, primarily because they use a lot more air. My final points in choosing a gun....

IF you decide to go Tippmann, I would invest in the A-5 over the 98. Reasons? The A-5 uses push-pins which makes it a breeze to field strip. It's almost as customizable as the X7, it is much lighter than the brick known as the X7 (But then again weight is personal preference), it is the price of a 98 with a cyclone feed, it comes with a cyclone feed which is excellent upgrade to have on your Tippmann...trust me...You'll love it. It's a good marker to have in the rec ball area around $170. That forty dollar difference gets you so much more than you'd think.

Be sure to of course first, find what is comfortable for you, what you like, the type of player you are, etc...play with gear.

Since Justin is posting up websites I thought I would do the same :P.

http://zdspb.com/tec...animations.html (Be sure to look at the difference between poppets and blowbacks ;))

This website has diagrams (if you click on them they become moving diagrams) showing the airway paths and how certain markers fire. Worth checking out indefinitely.

And to your earlier point about electros being touchy...The NT is still relatively new, and I've had a couple of minor leaks since I got it that I've simply shot a couple of times to make it subside...I should've taken care of it this past February while there were no games planned...Currently though...it is being fixed (under warranty of course) by Dye and I should have it in an on par working condition. That marker's malfunction was not your fault, but my negligence.

I'm willing to bet the Ego gave you no trouble at all though, as it has never let me down, and I'd be surprised to hear otherwise from you. Quite frankly if the ego had the ergonomics of my NT I may find myself inclined to use the Ego as my number 1 marker...But as far as comfort goes, the NT wins.

So...my original point...The marker was not your error.

Thanks Tim as well for your last post. Arguing with Justin keeps my wits about me, and makes me smarter. It does lean me to the electro-side further sometimes...And then I talk to Chris...and I sway back to the middle. :D Speaking of such, Chris doesn't talk much on here anymore.

And another point to the A-5...The guts are a little cleaner in an A-5 than a 98...At least I think so...

"We used to tell them in Outward Bound, when a parent would come and ask us, ["Can you guarantee the safety of our son, Johnny?"] And finally we decided to meet it head-on. We would say, ["No. We certainly can't Ma'am. We guarantee you the genuine chance of his death. And if we could guarantee his safety, the program would not be worth running. We do make one guarantee, as one parent to another. If you succeed in protecting your boy, as you are doing now, and as its your motherly duty to do, you know we applaud your watch dog tenacity. You should be protecting him. But, if you succeed, we guarantee you the death of his soul!"]" -Unsoeld

#1249 User is offline   Shazapp 

• Forum Newbie
  • Pip

Posted 03 March 2010 - 01:10 AM

Andrew, thanks for the mini-book. :) It was actually very helpful.

I realize I don't have a lot of experience, but the Tippmann I used at Battlefront was super-comfortable. I liked it a lot. My wallet's not ready to commit to anything just yet, but I am planning a trip to a local store to check some stuff out and just look around a bit. I'm doing a lot of lurking, but I'm learning a lot.

Thanks, everyone!

#1250 User is offline   JKR 

• My presence foretells death...I am Wraith
  • PipPipPip
  • Brigade Name:WRAITH_

Posted 03 March 2010 - 03:23 AM

Thanks for the kind words, Tim!

To Andrew's point of blow forward vs blow back - in the actual firing sequence, there is little difference with regards to how the paintball is "handled". In both designs, the bolt rests in the rearward position prior to pulling the trigger. When the trigger is pulled, the bolt is released in both designs to come forward to the chambered ball before releasing the air to fire. The difference is that in a blow back design, the hammer and spring force the bolt forward and air pressure in the firing sequence blows the bolt back in place before the next round is fired. Just the opposite in blow forward, air pressure blows the bolt forward and mechanical force puts it back in place. The longstanding legend in paintball is that an open bolt design is less accurate and harder on paint than a closed bolt design where the bolt rests in the forward position in the firing sequence. Autocockers are a closed bolt design and part of the legend of accuracy in the Autococker comes from this point.

I should note also that the first blow forward design was also the Automag. Guess what, the standard Automag has a reputation for being hard on paint due to the fact that the bolt moves forward quickly prior to firing paint in it's spool valve, blow forward design. The Level 10 bolt designed for the Automag changes this reputation and is a popular upgrade. I do not own a Level 10 bolt and have found that if brittle paint is used that the Automag can in fact be a little hard on paint. The Level 10 adds complexity to the design and in most cases, isn't something that I have felt the need to buy. Many electros use modified bolt designs to lessen the impact on the ball and have an excellent reputation for being gentle on paint. There have been many innovations in bolt design since the old days but the general operation of the chambering and firing sequence is nearly the same as it used to be. I will definitely concede the point that with modified bolt designs, many of today's electros are easier on paint than low to mid range blowback markers.

Accuracy, however, is another story...
AIRGUN DESIGNS
"Because quality shoots straight...always"

"A people that values its privileges above its principles soon loses both."
-- Dwight D. Eisenhower

"Associate with men of good quality if you esteem your own reputation; for it is better to be alone than in bad company."
-- George Washington

http://www.mcarterbrown.com/forums/feedbac....html#post91505

#1251 User is offline   AsphyxiateHeart 

• PipPipPip

Posted 04 March 2010 - 07:48 AM

Sorry about your automag!...But most of today's spools are softer on paint. And poppets as well with newer valve/bolt designs. I was speaking in a general sense. There are always exceptions to every rule. And of course research on your marker (above research usage) is the best way to determine if it is something you want. I have a sense you are not too familiar with autococker Tim, (though I'm not positive) so with that I say even though you want a "tinkerer's marker" you may want to tinker and realize you hate or like it. I used to want to fix computers for a living...and then I did it for a while. It was cool starting out, but then it gets old...With the many functioning parts of an autococker you may not...(or may) like it. JKR give me a hand on this? (As in make sure my info is correct) JKR is right though, any valve will shoot the same if it is open or closed bolt, an open bolt blowback and and closed bolt blowback will shoot the same.

For the case of poppet vs blowback vs spool....

Blow< Poppet=spool as far as I am concerned.

In conclusion as far as I am concerned...blowback...blows...

But that is personal preference as when I maintenance my markers I don't take it apart to have springs flying everywhere, and pieces everywhere...quite frankly I enjoy my air efficiency...my softer shot...being a little quieter...ease of maintenance, and many other features awarded to me...JKR and I spoke on the phone and he did bring up a point as though it may be the idea the a newer marker is double regulated that it could affect the accuracy which I speak of, I admit he may be correct as tippmann's don't have that, however, whatever the function may be, I feel in the end result a poppet or spool has a much better (take it however you like) shot.

BTW Wraith, I was curious if you would comment on my suggestion of an A-5 to Sean...I feel like even though it's forty dollars more, you get your bang for your buck in maintenance, cyclone feed, as well as many other features.

#1252 User is offline   JKR 

• My presence foretells death...I am Wraith
  • PipPipPip
  • Brigade Name:WRAITH_

Posted 04 March 2010 - 09:11 PM

Sorry about my Automag?! ;)

Don't feel sorry for me. If handed a brand new, free Ego or a brand new, free Automag...I would choose the Ego. That way I could resell it and get two Automags! :)

Andrew - as for your need for me to affirm your recommendation to Sean for the A5...

I agree that the A5 would be my choice over the M98. The benefits of the design and extras included are worth the extra cash.
AIRGUN DESIGNS
"Because quality shoots straight...always"

"A people that values its privileges above its principles soon loses both."
-- Dwight D. Eisenhower

"Associate with men of good quality if you esteem your own reputation; for it is better to be alone than in bad company."
-- George Washington

http://www.mcarterbrown.com/forums/feedbac....html#post91505

#1253 User is offline   scoobshagg 

• Sophomore Member
  • PipPipPip

Posted 05 March 2010 - 11:15 PM

Ok kids on a different note, I just heard today that.....

Paintball Camp is a Go WOOT WOOT

So this means that I will be asking for some help. I'm looking for counselors, people who want to teach a workshop, people who may not be able to come but maybe want to donate some paintballs. As it stands right now we will be playing paintball all of two days, I'm planing to play at Splatter Park on Monday, and Battlezone on Thursday. I'll post more information about all of this later.

But for right now I'm just thrilled to have the opportunity to have such a Camp.

Tim

#1254 User is offline   blackcelldrumr15 

• Group: Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 05 March 2010 - 11:30 PM

What is this paintball camp you speak of?
Posted Image
Facebook - Group: Banned #18
PMR - P90 Ion FOR SALE - System X Sniper

#1255 User is offline   EL TORO 

• Forum Member
  • PipPip
  • Brigade Name:Godsdog

Posted 05 March 2010 - 11:31 PM

View Postscoobshagg, on Mar 6 2010, 01:15 AM, said:

Ok kids on a different note, I just heard today that.....

Paintball Camp is a Go WOOT WOOT

So this means that I will be asking for some help. I'm looking for counselors, people who want to teach a workshop, people who may not be able to come but maybe want to donate some paintballs. As it stands right now we will be playing paintball all of two days, I'm planing to play at Splatter Park on Monday, and Battlezone on Thursday. I'll post more information about all of this later.

But for right now I'm just thrilled to have the opportunity to have such a Camp.

Tim

Tim as you know just tell me what you need from me and I will do my best to help out.

#1256 User is offline   Shadowjackal 

• Accuracy through Volume of Fire!
  • PipPipPip
  • Brigade Name:Shadowjackal

Posted 06 March 2010 - 07:12 AM

Tim,

I will try to help out in anyway possible. Just keep us posted with what you need.
Blessed be the LORD my Rock, Who trains my hands for war, and my fingers for battle. My lovingkindness and my fortress, My high tower and my deliverer, my shield and the ONE in whom I take refuge!

Automags: Because only the best will do!

#1257 User is offline   JDS753 

• Forum Newbie
  • Pip

Posted 06 March 2010 - 03:20 PM

Thats great that camp is a go! if you need help, I have Mondays and Thursdays off, keep us up to date on what you need!

#1258 User is offline   AsphyxiateHeart 

• PipPipPip

Posted 07 March 2010 - 05:15 PM

I missed all of you today...It was a great day for paintball =D.

#1259 User is offline   blackcelldrumr15 

• Group: Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 07 March 2010 - 10:15 PM

Today would have been an AMAZING day to play! It was beautiful out there!

I really wanna get back into playing. Seeing how I haven't got to play in months because money has been extremely tight and paintball just had to take the backburner.
Posted Image
Facebook - Group: Banned #18
PMR - P90 Ion FOR SALE - System X Sniper

#1260 User is offline   scoobshagg 

• Sophomore Member
  • PipPipPip

Posted 07 March 2010 - 11:57 PM

Blackcell

Your right today would have been a great day to play. Hopefully there will be some days here soon that I can get out and play before Red Dawn game on the 24th.

You asked about camp, I am working for a summer camp (full time) and one of the things that we are trying this year is a Paintball camp. We have had some issues getting it to happen, but we received final approval not to long ago. We are gearing the camp to High School aged kids. I plan on doing things like two days of play, and equipment workshops, tactics and other type stuff. Along with your regular fun camp type stuff as well, I'm looking for counselors if your interested or if anyone else is interested.

Tim

Share this topic:

• (89 Pages)
  • +
  • « First
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users