Special Ops Paintball: So you have the Ion Longbow. Now what? - Special Ops Paintball

• (5 Pages)
  • +
  • « First
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

So you have the Ion Longbow. Now what? Rate Topic: ***** 1 Votes

#46 User is offline   Hatchet 

• Certified Pump-Ninja
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Members
  • Brigade Name:Hatchet88

Posted 15 July 2008 - 09:57 AM

Phantom's have one of the best / the best stock barrel on the market. If you buy a phantom, the only "upgrades" you could get that would be functional would be a new body / valve / pump. They're all personal preference though. Good news! Phantom's indeed do not feed differently than Snipers (which is a pumped autococker.) Phantoms have stock class breeches with 10rd and 15rd feedtubes, and direct feed breeches with center-feed, right-feed, and left-feed. You can have it absolutely any way you want. When I bought my phantom, a friend decided to get one too. He has the stock barrel; I have a J&J Edge kit. The only differences between us are A- mines maybe a tad bit more quiet, and B- I don't have to fool with detent rings. They're small circles of metal that act as the detent system for a phantom. I'm really bad about...eh..."misplacing" things, so I didn't want to fool with them. If you've got any phantom questions at all, feel free to PM me. I'll try to keep checking back in here either way. And for all your general pump questions, either the Pump forum here, www.mcarterbrown.com, or the SO Pump Discussion Thread - http://forum.specialopspaintball.com/index...howtopic=131494.

This post has been edited by Hatchet: 15 July 2008 - 09:58 AM

The signature in this location has been removed due to FORUM RULES VIOLATIONS. Please check this link : FORUM SIGNATURE RULES AND REGS and feel free to repost your signature according to the guidelines set by this forum.

^I think I'll just leave it that way. It suits me.

#47 Guest_Woodsball Freak_*

• Group: Guests

Posted 15 July 2008 - 11:10 AM

Tom Kaye did a barrel test at one point, the ideal barrel is an 11" barrel with 1" of porting at the end. Wait a second! That's the exact same as the current 11" Phantom barrel, coincidence?

#48 User is offline   Brainshot 

• Forum Member
  • PipPip

Posted 15 July 2008 - 12:18 PM

ha, ok now i'm definitely looking into it. what's the difference between these 2 ones that they sell at spec ops?

http://www.specialopspaintball.com/shop/pr...&CAT=122201

http://www.specialopspaintball.com/shop/pr...&CAT=122201

what kind of aiming aperture can you put on there? i know you don't want anything too fancy, but something to where you can tell you're aiming consistently at the same point every time.

#49 Guest_Woodsball Freak_*

Posted 15 July 2008 - 07:43 PM

The grip frames, the .45 is ideal but more expensive. Anything that accepts a 3/8" rail will work on there.

#50 User is offline   Hatchet 

• Certified Pump-Ninja
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Brigade Name:Hatchet88

Posted 16 July 2008 - 11:16 AM

The .45 is not ideal. Maybe in your opinion, but that's all it is. Preference. I'd suggest trying both if you can find some local pumpers. Some like the .45, some prefer the m16. I was used to a 98 custom grip when I got my phantom, so that pretty much decided which gripframe I got seeing as there were no other pumpers around here then.
The signature in this location has been removed due to FORUM RULES VIOLATIONS. Please check this link : FORUM SIGNATURE RULES AND REGS and feel free to repost your signature according to the guidelines set by this forum.

^I think I'll just leave it that way. It suits me.

#51 User is offline   Brainshot 

• Forum Member
  • PipPip

Posted 16 July 2008 - 01:40 PM

hey, just another quick question about the AGD Longbow. are there any places that sell the Tac-One marker with the Longbow kit all together? From the looks of it i'm going to have to buy the longbow ready tac-one from AGD's website, and the longbow kit from spec ops. let me know. thanks.

#52 Guest_Woodsball Freak_*

Posted 16 July 2008 - 05:56 PM

Special Ops used to, I'm guessing not so any more.

#53 User is offline   Eskimo 

• Igloo Member #1
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • Brigade Name:Mime

Posted 18 July 2008 - 09:46 AM

unless you can buy one used then unfortunatly your buying right from the Factory...
Unfortnatly Spec ops has turned the AGD Tac One into a sniper laughing stock of the world.
If your thinking about upgrading your current setup then buying an Ion will do you no good... simply because the A-5 and Ion are very similar markers, just in different shapes. your going to be limited to pure performance from both of them.

if your looking to stay the same but have a different setup then An Ion will do you Real good. becuase it will be cheaper and you will be firing a lighter more balanced A-5 in a sense.. a Good thing if you dont have 400$ to blow on a marker alone.

Airgun desings Tac One is a truly remarkable marker. but you pay for the craftsmen ship and the quality with quite the sized hole in your pocket.
then again, totaly stock it still will out perform a 800$ Ion and an A-5 with the vortex and APE and all the fancy E-triggers you can afford.

If you do buy eather the Ion or the AGD Tac One or the Phantom... or anything else.. please Im truly begging you to refuse to make it a "sniper" marker.

The one thing that everyone seems to miss is that a sniper has to be versitale... In woodsball your going to get in places were a 200 round hopper will do you better then anything else. or when a lightwight marker will be the deciding factor. A short barrel will keep you tight when needed.

Main Point of my rambling: Make sure you do your homework before you swipe your credit card!

#54 Guest_Woodsball Freak_*

Posted 18 July 2008 - 12:34 PM

There's nothing wrong with building a "Sniper Marker", especially if you play with a team, you need to outfit your gear to match the style of play you play most. Sure, you may need a 200 round hopper one time or another but if you truly master your role as a Sniper 21 balls is more than enough. When you see a firefight coming your way, avoid it and call in a Hammer or Broadsword or maybe even a Dagger or Saber paired with a Ghost Flanker to take care of it.

This post has been edited by Woodsball Freak: 18 July 2008 - 12:35 PM

#55 User is offline   Brainshot 

• Forum Member
  • PipPip

Posted 19 July 2008 - 10:53 AM

all right, your point is taken, but it really isn't going to sway my decision at all. if i do need a versatile, good marker for any position in the game, then i'll just bust out my A-5. if i'm going to be running a HPA, say... a 14" stiffi, and a decent red dot, then that's a marker that can play anywhere on the field. i am not looking to buy a good overall marker. i already have one. i'm looking for something fun to go out and play with when i feel like crawling around and not shooting a ton. and about the big whole in my pocket: cash really isn't an issue here.

i've been doing a ton of research... i really don't have much better things to do with my free time out here. it appears that they'll be discontinuing the AGD Longbow kit here shortly at Spec Ops. I can probably get an order in now, and still get it in, but they'll be discontinuing it here within a few months. So, it comes down to these 2 options (if i still want to get a Longbow)

1. Order the Longbow Kit and AGD Tac-One, and have it waiting for me when I come home to the states on mid-tour leave this winter. After I come back here, it will sit in a box for another 3-6 months until i come home for good. Do you think that sitting that long will cause me to do a lot of maintenance or repairs on it after i get back home?

2. Consider the Ion Longbow. I had decided with the Tac-One over the Ion, as it is a far superior marker. But here are my questions:

-I know that some people have a lot of issues with their Ion's, and some people say they love them. For what I'm going to be using it for, will I really run into a lot of issues with it? What would be the common issues I might encounter using the Ion with ONLY the Longbow kit?

-Will I be sacrificing anything in accuracy or consistency with the Ion over the Tac-One? Rate of fire really doesn't concern me. I wouldn't be buying the Ion for it to be a fast marker. I'd be using HPA, the Longbow Kit, and an 18" St!ffi with both.

-This question is ONLY in relation to the use of both markers with the Longbow kit. Are there any differences in the markers at all that would make one better over the other (for distance shooting/accuracy/consistency). I realize that question was very similar to the second one, but it's worded better for those of you who may have been confused on the last one. Hopefully you get my point.

-What add-on's and upgrades might help the Ion not break down as much? This excludes any upgrade that just might make it shoot faster (virtue boards, etc.).

Hopefully you all get my point. Any and all input would be awesome. If I'm going to get the Tac-One Longbow, I need to make up my mind fast. Please help me in trying to piece this crazy puzzle together. Thanks!

This post has been edited by Brainshot: 19 July 2008 - 10:54 AM

#56 Guest_Woodsball Freak_*

Posted 19 July 2008 - 04:13 PM

Sitting isn't going to be as problem with the Tac-One or the Longbow Kit. If any maintainence is needed, return the item, but my Classic Automag has sat for a year now and it still works.

Ion questions:

1. If a marker is going to give you issues (as the Ion very well could) the Longbow Kit won't change that. So any issues you would run into with a regular Ion will give you the same problems with your Ion Longbow.

2. I honestly believe that accuracy is 90% about the paintball itself. I shot my first marker (a ViewLoader Triad) with high end paint and the accuracy was amazing. When I upgraded to a Phantom with crappy paint I wasn't too impressed with the Phantom, then I learned that's it's all about your balls ( :D ).

3. I havn't really heard of the Ion's breaking down a lot. If you heard they did, ehat parts were said to break down a lot?

#57 User is offline   Eskimo 

• Igloo Member #1
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • Brigade Name:Mime

Posted 19 July 2008 - 09:16 PM

one thing which may sway your decision is:

"Do you have someone who can service your marker if it needs repair?"

extensive repairs that are much better left off to the techs are all fine and dandy once its over with but you get an Ion, can anyone fix it if you cannot.

Where I am, no shops or stores know diddely squat about Airgun designs markers so if its breaks down, its just me.

on the other hand there is about 4 stores with certified Smart Parts techs around here.

This post has been edited by Eskimo: 19 July 2008 - 09:17 PM

#58 Guest_Woodsball Freak_*

Posted 19 July 2008 - 10:13 PM

Of course calling AGD is way easier than calling Poopy Parts.

#59 User is offline   Brainshot 

• Forum Member
  • PipPip

Posted 20 July 2008 - 01:31 AM

but i figure, if i'm going to throw a big chunk of money at a longbow, i might as well just go ahead and go all out, right? i don't think i'll be sorry with going for the AGD, as we've discussed this before in this thread. and, if i get tired of the longbow setup, i've got a kickbutt marker there waiting for me in itself.

#60 User is offline   thisissparta 

• Tonight, We Dine In Heck!!
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Brigade Name:thisissparta

Posted 20 July 2008 - 02:07 AM

Instead of getting a longbow, get a Tac one, a T2W stock, and a Q-loader. It's a q-bow withough 10 pounds of useless shroud. that thing is seriously heavy- it alone doubles the weight of the longbow. Or even lighter, get a bottomline ASA set up, then get an air-thru stock that screws into your ASA. Then have at it. Enjoy.
The Spartan Armory: 98 Custom, Spyder e99 Avant, Tippmann A5, PMI-1, Splatmaster, SL-68 II, Classic Mag, Nel-Spot 007, WGP Sniper II (~95), DM5, SL-68II, Dye Reflex, Sideline Duckslide, Pro-Carbine, Piranha LB, Splatmaster, PG convert, Tippmann Pro-Lite, K-Framed Palmer's Paladin, T8 with TRG and milling work, SA-8, Gargantom, Custom Cocker
Feedback: SO Forum (+13/-0) MCB: (+24/-0) I love Kaesie. Fact: I am a ninja.

Share this topic:

• (5 Pages)
  • +
  • « First
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users