Special Ops Paintball: So you have the Ion Longbow. Now what? - Special Ops Paintball

• (5 Pages)
  • +
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

So you have the Ion Longbow. Now what? Rate Topic: ***** 1 Votes

#16 User is offline   Tommikka 

• Tom
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Members
  • Brigade Name:tommikka

Posted 13 July 2008 - 10:16 AM

View PostWoodsball Freak, on Jul 12 2008, 09:27 PM, said:

View PostTommikka, on Jul 12 2008, 01:02 PM, said:

Internally the Ion is low pressure (approx 300 psi) - but the regulator handles that and expects to be fed at high pressure (approx 800psi) which is standard from the regulator of a 3000 or 4500 psi bottle.

The psi of the air tank has nothing to do with the output pressure...

That's why I preceded the statement with:
Just to clarify - the HP / LP confusion with Ions is that:
and that the bottle output pressure of both 3000 and 4500 is about 800

#17 Guest_Woodsball Freak_*

• Group: Guests

Posted 13 July 2008 - 11:04 AM

Ahh, sorry. I didn't get that you were clarifying that.

#18 User is offline   StealingYerMail 

• always throwin bass
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • Brigade Name:StealingYerMail

Posted 13 July 2008 - 11:44 AM

When Matt pointed out the thing about getting a better gun, he means this.

Ions are decent markers. DECENT markers. Nothing more... and doesn't anyone else find it weird that people always ask what UPGRADES they need for markers like Ions? By the time you're done upgrading it, you REALLY could have just bought a better gun... performance might be ROUGHLY identical, but the better gun will be made out of better parts. Smart Parts uses cast aluminum for the metal parts of the Ion, and that's not nice.

What I'm getting at is that you should buy an AGD Tac-One. The AGD website is www.airgundesignsusa.com I think. The Tac-One can accept the Longbow kit, and is also an amazing stand alone marker. It's more expensive than the Ion, but it's also much more durable and made out of much better materials. AGD is a legend in the paintball community... their markers are easy to clean, and are just invincible. They're also as consistent as hell and never chop since they use a system called the Level 10, which doesn't use electronics. There's also a video of an Automag shooting like 35bps, so with some upgrades, the Mag would work for speedball... although you probably wouldn't be shooting 35bps. You can also get some insane rates of fire without electronics on Mags. I don't consider batteries a negative thing, but I consider no batteries a positive thing, if that makes sense.

So just look into Mags. There's an AGD forum here... people there would love to help you.

This post has been edited by StealingYerMail: 13 July 2008 - 11:46 AM

Maggot #53
MacDev 06 Cyborg, AGD Tac-One
Death before Smart Parts Feedback

#19 Guest_Woodsball Freak_*

Posted 13 July 2008 - 11:52 AM

Yeah, if you can afford a Tac One, by all means buy one. The Ion isn't even a comparison to the Tac One.

#20 User is offline   Hatchet 

• Certified Pump-Ninja
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Brigade Name:Hatchet88

Posted 13 July 2008 - 12:10 PM

Brainshot, I too have to recommend getting the Tac-One longbow instead of the Ion. I have a friend who has the same play style as you do. He likes the slow-paced, tactical side of things. He had a Tac longbow, and sold it to buy an Ion longbow. He's had problems since the day he bought the marker. He's currently in the process of selling off his Ion stuff in order to repurchase an AGD Tac-One Longbow system. Having shot both, I can vouch for it. Not only will the AGD not give you problems like the Ion could, it's IMO an all-around better shooter. If you want BPS or an extremely light trigger pull out of it, Pneumag it. It's not a terribly difficult thing to do, and it gives you a mechanical "mouse-click" trigger.

Another thing, I would recommend the DP Fusion over the PMR. Proto Rails are nice guns, but they don't stack up to the fusion. Two very good friends bought these two markers, one the fusion, one the pmr. I've used both several times, and I thoroughly enjoy using the fusion, while the PMR is just decent. I myself am a pump player. I haven't found a marker yet that's equal in terms of accuracy to my phantom. I've shot... various pumps, PMRs, DM series, PM series, Fusions, cockers, Egos, Angel 1s, Tippmanns, Spiders, BE guns, etc. The fusion came really, really damn close. I can put paint exactly where I want it with a stock fusion, not so much with a stock PMR. Not to mention while the fusions still going strong, the PMR's currently on my workbench waiting for a reg rebuild. You can find PMR's for about 280-300, and F7 (2007 Fusions) for about $250. The Fusion, in my experience, is a much better stock gun. You won't even need to buy a new barrel for it. New (F8) Fusions run about $400 or so. I haven't used one, but from the reviews I've checked out, nothing seems to have changed for the worse.

--------=Insert necessary Pump plug=-----------
Or! You could purchase a CCI Phantom for a couple-three hundred and come over to the dark side! Everyone loves pump. My phantom, on unregulated CO2, shoots +/-2 FPS most times. On a good day its +/- 0 / 1. Can't beat that with a stick. Not to mention pump play is the most fun I've ever had with paintball. It'll make you a better, more competent player, too. I started playing pump a year or so ago, and haven't looked back since. I've since then sold off all my semi's (Including a PPS Blazer) except for my old Tippmann 98, which I keep around for loaner purposes.

Anyhow, Thank you for your service and I hope this helps!

Hatchet
The signature in this location has been removed due to FORUM RULES VIOLATIONS. Please check this link : FORUM SIGNATURE RULES AND REGS and feel free to repost your signature according to the guidelines set by this forum.

^I think I'll just leave it that way. It suits me.

#21 Guest_Woodsball Freak_*

Posted 13 July 2008 - 12:12 PM

Those older model Marqs seem like a real steal ($400), they maybe better than the F8.

This post has been edited by Woodsball Freak: 13 July 2008 - 12:12 PM

#22 User is offline   Brainshot 

• Forum Member
  • PipPip

Posted 13 July 2008 - 12:54 PM

wow... i definitely have a lot to consider now. thanks for all of the info guys. do you think you could post a link to that fusion?

This post has been edited by Brainshot: 13 July 2008 - 12:57 PM

#23 Guest_Woodsball Freak_*

Posted 13 July 2008 - 01:01 PM

Fusion F8

#24 User is offline   Brainshot 

• Forum Member
  • PipPip

Posted 13 July 2008 - 01:07 PM

so i went to the AGD site, and i did have one question. it says "longbow ready for an extra $50." what does that mean? i can't imagine that means it comes with the longbow kit. the kit itself from SO costs $285. any help?

#25 Guest_Woodsball Freak_*

Posted 13 July 2008 - 01:09 PM

Unfortunately, that means that you have to pay an extra $50 to get the Tac One you need.

#26 User is offline   Brainshot 

• Forum Member
  • PipPip

Posted 13 July 2008 - 01:19 PM

View PostWoodsball Freak, on Jul 14 2008, 12:39 AM, said:

Unfortunately, that means that you have to pay an extra $50 to get the Tac One you need.

ah ok. so for all of you that posted how you know people that have similar playing styles to myself:

if i have and am willing to put the money into the AGD Longbow... is it worth it?

#27 Guest_Woodsball Freak_*

Posted 13 July 2008 - 01:21 PM

Oh man, that's not even a question, almost regardless of your playing style, but especially for yours. Yes! I could list reasons all day so I'll just leave it at that.

#28 User is offline   Brainshot 

• Forum Member
  • PipPip

Posted 13 July 2008 - 01:46 PM

View PostWoodsball Freak, on Jul 14 2008, 12:51 AM, said:

Oh man, that's not even a question, almost regardless of your playing style, but especially for yours. Yes! I could list reasons all day so I'll just leave it at that.

alright. i'm not saying i don't believe you. i do. but try me. just give me a few reasons. i'm looking for something to buy that i can keep for the next 10+ years and never want to get something better. my goal is to have a good distance marker (the Tac Longbow), a good woodsball assault kit marker (my A-5), and a decent speedball gun (yet to decide).

#29 User is offline   Matt 

• ELITE Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 13 July 2008 - 03:19 PM

View PostBrainshot, on Jul 13 2008, 07:45 AM, said:

View PostMatt, on Jul 13 2008, 06:08 PM, said:

Instead of dumping all that money into an ion, why not jsut get a lot better of a gun?

by a better you gun you probably mean a decent electro gun, right? and even if you mean some sort of heavily modified tippmann assault kit marker... well i'll cover that too. here's why:
By better gun, I ment either a better electro, or a higher end mech, such as an automag. I did not mean Tippmann. Not at all, whether it is an x7 or a5.
right now i'm in afghanistan serving a 15 month long combat tour. i'll be banking quite a bit of money. i intend to take just a very small portion of that and invest it in whatever paintball equipment i think i will ever want or need. that way, i can be done with it, and just worry about maintaining the good equipment i pick up after i get home.

i enjoy woodsball most of all. i like the slower, more tactical approach to the game (i AM an army guy, so that kind of figures, right?). i currently own just a partially modified Tippmann A-5. it's a great marker. it's reliable, sturdy, and is fun to play with. so, that being said, logic would say that yes, i would probably put more money into a woodsball oriented marker(s).
Well, if that is the case, have you ever looked into pump? A CCI Phantom will be much better than the ion longbow. Only difference is you would have to pump one before each shot. They are both limited paint, however, the phantom comes stock with everythng you would expect from the ion, but with probably half the price and greater quality. Mike Cassidy, the creater of the phantom, builds each phantom by hand and puts tremendus amount of quality in each marker. The only upgrade you could say a phantom needs is detent rings and a trigger shoe. The stock barrel is amazing, as well as everythign else.
i do however enjoy speedball. it's fast paced, it's fun. it's not my favorite though. but regardless, i was still planning on picking up a decent electro marker. in talking with one of my good friends back home who has played that style for quite some time, i've decided on probably a Proto Rail. it's a good mid-ranged marker, that doesn't require the amount of mods that an Ion needs to be a decent marker for speedball.
so, why don't i just get a better gun, you ask? i'm looking at the Ion Longbow kit for woodsball only. and from what i've read and heard, it's a great kit to have. even with my A-5, i was more of the stealthy guy that sneaked around the back to the other base, and didn't fire a lot of rounds. some games i didn't shoot at all. so, that said, i think the Longbow would be perfect for me. it seems to be one of the best distance/consistent markers out there for woodsball play.
A phantom, like said above, could be used as your marker for woodsball, and than you can get your decent mid end speedball marker with the money you save by getting a phantom.
i also plan on souping up my A-5 a little more to just a good Assault Kit style A-5. maybe sometimes i won't feel like playing the sneaking game with the Longbow and will just want to throw a lot of paint at the other team. i can pick up the A-5, or even the Proto if i feel like it.

so, to sum it all up, i'm "dumping all of that money into an ion" because that's what appears to be the best marker for my style of play in the woods. i don't need that ion to shoot fast. i just need it to be what it's supposed to be with the Longbow kit on it. a very consistent, semi-ranged marker.
out of the box, an ion is not that consistant. a phantom will be much more consistant, or any mid end electro. to get taht ion consistant, you would need to dump more money into it than you planned.[/quote]

#30 Guest_Woodsball Freak_*

Posted 13 July 2008 - 03:29 PM

View PostBrainshot, on Jul 13 2008, 01:46 PM, said:

View PostWoodsball Freak, on Jul 14 2008, 12:51 AM, said:

alright. i'm not saying i don't believe you. i do. but try me. just give me a few reasons. i'm looking for something to buy that i can keep for the next 10+ years and never want to get something better. my goal is to have a good distance marker (the Tac Longbow), a good woodsball assault kit marker (my A-5), and a decent speedball gun (yet to decide).

Yay! I'm glad you asked me for some.

1. I have a 'Mag from 1992, it's still shoots great
2. 90% of 'Mag problems can be identified in 30 seconds and fixed in a minute.
3. AGD has been around for a long time, you can trust them.
4. Customer service, wow it's second only to Mike Casady's (he just has sooo many workers for him it's hard to compete with him :P )
5. Umm, how does no batteries sound? Yep, that's what I thought.
6. OK, no batteries so it gets what? 8 BPS, 9BPS? No, this guy shoots as fast as you can pull that mouse click trigger.
7. No batteries? What about chopping? The Level 10 bolt didn't even put a dent in Tom Kaye's tongue, how's it going to chop a ball?

Share this topic:

• (5 Pages)
  • +
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users