Special Ops Paintball: So you have the Ion Longbow. Now what? - Special Ops Paintball

• (5 Pages)
  • +
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

So you have the Ion Longbow. Now what? Rate Topic: ***** 1 Votes

#1 User is offline   Brainshot 

• Forum Member
  • PipPip
  • Group: Members

Posted 12 July 2008 - 10:34 AM

I'm seriously considering purchasing an Ion Longbow. I've been using a Tippman A-5 for quite some time now, and I'm ready to move on. Aside from purchasing the Ion Marker, the Longbow Kit from Spec Ops, extra mags, mag holder, red dot sight, compressed air, and a decent barrel (most likely an 18" St!ffi), what other upgrades, if any are necessary? Even if they aren't totally necessary, is there anything I would be missing, or anything someone might recommend to add? also, i'm assuming i want to run low pressure air on the ion, right?

This post has been edited by Brainshot: 12 July 2008 - 11:26 AM

#2 Guest_Woodsball Freak_*

• Group: Guests

Posted 12 July 2008 - 12:28 PM

HPA would actually be better, maybe you should consider upgrading the internals in your Ion although it's hardly necessary. It looks like your pretty well covered. Just so you know, HPA will give you a faster recharge rate which will make your shots while shooting fast more consistent.

This post has been edited by Woodsball Freak: 12 July 2008 - 12:28 PM

#3 User is offline   Tommikka 

• Tom
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Brigade Name:tommikka

Posted 12 July 2008 - 01:02 PM

Just to clarify - the HP / LP confusion with Ions is that:

Internally the Ion is low pressure (approx 300 psi) - but the regulator handles that and expects to be fed at high pressure (approx 800psi) which is standard from the regulator of a 3000 or 4500 psi bottle.

You can go for upgrades with a QEV, detents, eyes, an aftermarket circuit board, different switch (depening on whether the board already comes with some other switch), different bolt etc.

But nothing is necessary - If you go Longbow then an aftermarket boards fire modes would not give you much use, but fine tuning the programming could do you good.

Try it out efore you decide to change. The Ion is pretty good in itself, once you get a feel of it you will get the idea of what changes you want.

Check here for virtually everyhing you could want to know on Ions

#4 Guest_Woodsball Freak_*

Posted 12 July 2008 - 01:27 PM

View PostTommikka, on Jul 12 2008, 01:02 PM, said:

Internally the Ion is low pressure (approx 300 psi) - but the regulator handles that and expects to be fed at high pressure (approx 800psi) which is standard from the regulator of a 3000 or 4500 psi bottle.

The psi of the air tank has nothing to do with the output pressure...

#5 User is offline   d4rkmonkey 

• that funky monkey...
  • PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 12 July 2008 - 02:07 PM

View PostBrainshot, on Jul 12 2008, 01:34 PM, said:

I'm seriously considering purchasing an Ion Longbow. I've been using a Tippman A-5 for quite some time now, and I'm ready to move on. Aside from purchasing the Ion Marker, the Longbow Kit from Spec Ops, extra mags, mag holder, red dot sight, compressed air, and a decent barrel (most likely an 18" St!ffi), what other upgrades, if any are necessary? Even if they aren't totally necessary, is there anything I would be missing, or anything someone might recommend to add? also, i'm assuming i want to run low pressure air on the ion, right?

A red dot is really not needed in my opinion, its really easy to just aim down the barrel or aim down the top of the marker. Once you get used to using the marker you'll be able to aim faster and easier without a Red Dot.

I wouldn't suggest pouring money into an ion though, because it is just an ion afterall.

Also, I'd suggest looking into a shorter barrel, and maybe not a st!ffi. I find they're overpriced, and the only advantage is the weight. But I've never seen a heavy barrel in my opinion. Just get something cheaper with lots of porting, like a J&J.
Posted Image
Flickr
Bitches and guns, this is every man's dream. I don't want to go home, where I'm just an ordinary human being...

#6 Guest_Woodsball Freak_*

Posted 12 July 2008 - 02:21 PM

View Postd4rkmonkey, on Jul 12 2008, 02:07 PM, said:

View PostBrainshot, on Jul 12 2008, 01:34 PM, said:

A red dot is really not needed in my opinion, its really easy to just aim down the barrel or aim down the top of the marker. Once you get used to using the marker you'll be able to aim faster and easier without a Red Dot.

I wouldn't suggest pouring money into an ion though, because it is just an ion afterall.

Also, I'd suggest looking into a shorter barrel, and maybe not a st!ffi. I find they're overpriced, and the only advantage is the weight. But I've never seen a heavy barrel in my opinion. Just get something cheaper with lots of porting, like a J&J.

A red dot is really all preferance. Like d4rkmonkey said, you probably will not get your money back from your Ion, any upgrades you put in it will not hardly boost the already low resale at all. I agree that the St!ffiI'mafter all's are way over priced but I would still go with an 18" barrel, they are really the only barrel that looks good with the Longbow, and you don't loose THAT much efficiency.

#7 User is offline   d4rkmonkey 

• that funky monkey...
  • PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 12 July 2008 - 04:39 PM

I wasn't thinking about what looks good with the longbow when I posted... do the 18 inches line up with the end of the mag? Because I always thought it was a shorter.
Posted Image
Flickr
Bitches and guns, this is every man's dream. I don't want to go home, where I'm just an ordinary human being...

#8 Guest_Woodsball Freak_*

Posted 12 July 2008 - 05:01 PM

View Postd4rkmonkey, on Jul 12 2008, 04:39 PM, said:

I wasn't thinking about what looks good with the longbow when I posted... do the 18 inches line up with the end of the mag? Because I always thought it was a shorter.

It's damn near exact, maybe a little off.

#9 User is offline   Brainshot 

• Forum Member
  • PipPip

Posted 12 July 2008 - 10:44 PM

alright, well i think i'll just stick with everything i had on my first list there. i'm not really limited on how much money i put into this thing, so i don't have any issues with using the St!ffi. i do have one more question, however. i know that i can go LPA or HPA, but will they both offer the same consistency in shots? if so, then it sounds like i should go HPA, yes?

#10 Guest_Woodsball Freak_*

Posted 13 July 2008 - 12:29 AM

View PostBrainshot, on Jul 12 2008, 10:44 PM, said:

alright, well i think i'll just stick with everything i had on my first list there. i'm not really limited on how much money i put into this thing, so i don't have any issues with using the St!ffi. i do have one more question, however. i know that i can go LPA or HPA, but will they both offer the same consistency in shots? if so, then it sounds like i should go HPA, yes?

Yep, HPA will yield better consistency.

#11 User is offline   left handed 

• Arms Dealer
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Brigade Name:left handed

Posted 13 July 2008 - 02:03 AM

I've always wanted a Longbow just to say I had one, but once you get the Longbow, it's pretty much all good, just go out and play. DON'T fall into the trap of upgrading unnecessarily (like I did), but instead play a few games with the marker, find out what you can do it make it better, then get them.

St!ffi barrels are notoriously quiet but can yield to crappy efficiency.
Speedball has nothing to do with how fast you shoot and everything to do with how fast you move. - Crawdaddy (PBF)

Feedback!

#12 User is offline   Brainshot 

• Forum Member
  • PipPip

Posted 13 July 2008 - 02:11 AM

View Postleft handed, on Jul 13 2008, 01:33 PM, said:

I've always wanted a Longbow just to say I had one, but once you get the Longbow, it's pretty much all good, just go out and play. DON'T fall into the trap of upgrading unnecessarily (like I did), but instead play a few games with the marker, find out what you can do it make it better, then get them.

by crappy efficiency you just mean that it's an air hog, right? i've heard they're pretty darn accurate, and that's what i'm looking for. you really don't have the luxury of shooting A LOT with the longbow, so i don't think air will be an issue.

#13 User is offline   Matt 

• ELITE Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 13 July 2008 - 06:38 AM

Instead of dumping all that money into an ion, why not jsut get a lot better of a gun?

#14 User is offline   Brainshot 

• Forum Member
  • PipPip

Posted 13 July 2008 - 07:45 AM

View PostMatt, on Jul 13 2008, 06:08 PM, said:

Instead of dumping all that money into an ion, why not jsut get a lot better of a gun?

by a better you gun you probably mean a decent electro gun, right? and even if you mean some sort of heavily modified tippmann assault kit marker... well i'll cover that too. here's why:

right now i'm in afghanistan serving a 15 month long combat tour. i'll be banking quite a bit of money. i intend to take just a very small portion of that and invest it in whatever paintball equipment i think i will ever want or need. that way, i can be done with it, and just worry about maintaining the good equipment i pick up after i get home.

i enjoy woodsball most of all. i like the slower, more tactical approach to the game (i AM an army guy, so that kind of figures, right?). i currently own just a partially modified Tippmann A-5. it's a great marker. it's reliable, sturdy, and is fun to play with. so, that being said, logic would say that yes, i would probably put more money into a woodsball oriented marker(s).

i do however enjoy speedball. it's fast paced, it's fun. it's not my favorite though. but regardless, i was still planning on picking up a decent electro marker. in talking with one of my good friends back home who has played that style for quite some time, i've decided on probably a Proto Rail. it's a good mid-ranged marker, that doesn't require the amount of mods that an Ion needs to be a decent marker for speedball.
so, why don't i just get a better gun, you ask? i'm looking at the Ion Longbow kit for woodsball only. and from what i've read and heard, it's a great kit to have. even with my A-5, i was more of the stealthy guy that sneaked around the back to the other base, and didn't fire a lot of rounds. some games i didn't shoot at all. so, that said, i think the Longbow would be perfect for me. it seems to be one of the best distance/consistent markers out there for woodsball play.

i also plan on souping up my A-5 a little more to just a good Assault Kit style A-5. maybe sometimes i won't feel like playing the sneaking game with the Longbow and will just want to throw a lot of paint at the other team. i can pick up the A-5, or even the Proto if i feel like it.

so, to sum it all up, i'm "dumping all of that money into an ion" because that's what appears to be the best marker for my style of play in the woods. i don't need that ion to shoot fast. i just need it to be what it's supposed to be with the Longbow kit on it. a very consistent, semi-ranged marker.

#15 Guest_Woodsball Freak_*

Posted 13 July 2008 - 08:07 AM

View PostBrainshot, on Jul 13 2008, 02:11 AM, said:

View Postleft handed, on Jul 13 2008, 01:33 PM, said:

by crappy efficiency you just mean that it's an air hog, right? i've heard they're pretty darn accurate, and that's what i'm looking for. you really don't have the luxury of shooting A LOT with the longbow, so i don't think air will be an issue.

Yep, and the efficiency isn't as big of a difference as people make is sound.

Share this topic:

• (5 Pages)
  • +
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users