Special Ops Paintball: Why Does It Seem like everyone hates Tippmann? - Special Ops Paintball

• (4 Pages)
  • +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • This topic is locked

Why Does It Seem like everyone hates Tippmann? Rate Topic: -----

#31 User is offline   Ethrealwolf 

• If we must die, we will die. but we will never yield.
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Members
  • Brigade Name:HALOWOLF

Posted 05 July 2008 - 02:46 PM

View Post^!), on Jul 5 2008, 12:56 AM, said:

it's not that I hate tippmanns.... it's that I hate the people who use them.

I've rarely met a tippmann owner say "yeah, it works." when referring to their tippmann marker. it's always got to be "this gun is the best out there, and never fails, and is awesome, and is better than your _____."

I hate that.... and it happens just about every time I talk to somebody about their tippmann.

*I also hate that tippmann is going away from making a regular marker, and more toward mil-sim. The X7 is made for the sole purpose of making it look more like a real rifle. I really dislike mil-sim, because it's very hard for me to "pretend" like that, when I've actually done it for "real". It's no longer fun for me. It was fun when I was 13, and didn't know anything.... but not any more. Tippmann is going more and more toward a style of play that I really don't like.

Tippmanns are GREAT for rental guns, because they last quite a while with regular maintenance, and are easy for beginners to use. This weekend when my friends play, they will rent tippmanns, and we'll all have a great time with them. But I'm not going to start raving about how awesome the marker was....

meh.

This, minus the mil-sim part (I haven't done the real thing yet. But I hear that exact sentiment a lot around here.)
We rode on the winds of the rising storm,
We ran to the sounds of the thunder.
We danced among the lightning bolts,
and tore the world asunder.

http://onpaintball.blogspot.com/

#32 User is offline   CdnNinja 

• The enemy cannot push a button, if you disable his hand.
  • PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 05 July 2008 - 07:26 PM

I don't have a problem with them. I just don't like them for the way I play. I like a light, fast marker and well, the Tippmann is kind of the opposite of that. They are still good markers though there is just better stuff out there. I have one I'm using again until I get my PMR.

This post has been edited by xX_jXx: 05 July 2008 - 08:57 PM

Posted Image

#33 User is offline   Moving Grass 

• Forum Newbie
  • Pip
  • Brigade Name:Ben Wachenschwanz

Posted 06 July 2008 - 03:36 PM

I like my tippy because it's simple to maintenance, I don't have a lot of time or cash to shell out on a cocker or a fancy space shooter so it works for me, and when it comes down to it where you put your gun and how you stand makes a lot of difference to even if your oppondent can send twice as much paint in the air then you. It's not the most accurate and it's not the quietest gun, but it's fairly well rounded nd you can do a lot of things with it. Yeah Special Ops and a few other companies blast A-5's and X-7's but that's how they make money and they have to advertize, and that's just the natural way of things. And if they only catch new entry players that's fine to give them something simple and rugged so they won't break it stumbling through the woods in the rain you know?
Eyes on...... Ready............

#34 User is offline   Shalendar 

• The kittens of my bone marrow are pleased
  • PipPip

Posted 06 July 2008 - 05:08 PM

I've rarely met a tippmann owner say "yeah, it works." when referring to their tippmann marker. it's always got to be "this gun is the best out there, and never fails, and is awesome, and is better than your _____."

you havent met me. my a5 is kinda big, kinda loud, and kinda heavy, but it works for my style and my budget. i like how its durable and easy to maintain, but all markers have faults. one marker may work perfectly for one person, but horribly for another. it's all about whats right for the player.

This post has been edited by Shalendar: 06 July 2008 - 05:10 PM

"thats my goal, get sigged by everybody on the forums" - Spades -- "who knows when I'll need a barrel in my ASA?" - MIR Sniper
3 types of people in the world: Sheep, Wolves, and Sheepdogs. I am a Sheepdog. -- My feedback (+3/-0)

#35 User is offline   ^!) 

• ...for tomorrow we die.
  • PipPipPipPip

Posted 06 July 2008 - 05:53 PM

View PostShalendar, on Jul 6 2008, 05:08 PM, said:

you havent met me. my a5 is kinda big, kinda loud, and kinda heavy, but it works for my style and my budget. i like how its durable and easy to maintain, but all markers have faults. one marker may work perfectly for one person, but horribly for another. it's all about whats right for the player.

from your signature:
Tippmann A-5 #108; polished internals; lightweight bolt; e-Trigger; QLoader; Freak Barrel; Bipod; 3-9x40mm scope; adjustable car stock.

I'm glad I haven't met you... because you play the kind of paintball that I don't ever play, and we wouldn't get along at all. If I saw somebody with a bipod and a scope on their tippmann, I'd try to hide my laughter. It's a terrible thing to say... but hey, I'm honest, right?
Do not go gentle into that good night,
Rage, rage against the dying of the light.

#36 User is offline   Long Wood 

• Most people swear by there A-5 I tend to swear at mine instead.
  • PipPip
  • Brigade Name:BOB LONG

Posted 06 July 2008 - 05:58 PM

The way i see it is that most paint ball is hype and it you own a 98c you could probally put the drop onto some one with a angle to me it is all the same on the function scale i think they are all about the same, and it is the skill used to get the shot not the accesories that make that shot a kill.

-LW

#37 User is offline   JKLNHYD 

• OG Newb...
  • PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 06 July 2008 - 06:10 PM

View Post^!), on Jul 6 2008, 05:53 PM, said:

View PostShalendar, on Jul 6 2008, 05:08 PM, said:

from your signature:
Tippmann A-5 #108; polished internals; lightweight bolt; e-Trigger; QLoader; Freak Barrel; Bipod; 3-9x40mm scope; adjustable car stock.

I'm glad I haven't met you... because you play the kind of paintball that I don't ever play, and we wouldn't get along at all. If I saw somebody with a bipod and a scope on their tippmann, I'd try to hide my laughter. It's a terrible thing to say... but hey, I'm honest, right?

Hmmm, this surprises me. I thought you were more of the backseat role model. I kinda thought you would be more like one of those people that sticks up for the kid trying to be excited and get into the game.

By your comment above, you have just explained why most people, even speedballers, don't like speedballers that walk around like they are so much better than everyone else.

And yeah, honesty is overrated...

Oh, and another thing. I personally have never rated someone by the marker or gear that they were able to afford, but by their passion for the game. But, I guess that is just a narrow minded view...

This post has been edited by JKLNHYD: 06 July 2008 - 06:12 PM

My senior member list, Pm me if you think you should be on it. PUZUMA Tyler MurderDeathKill Animal Mother BlackOpsghost Evil Finger Uwannago Weapso Tyger Dr. Wiggy The Stuntman Cops911 Riddick Twistedpsyche Custom Cowboy CamoDeafie Redleg64 ClumsyNinja DigitalPirate Slinkyaroo The Dirty Samurai Neo Enhander AirHOg shadow 772 LONGBOW deltapaintball Styro shadowlord Gunslinger7 Enders War Prodigy evillepaintball Deus Wolf Rifleman ghost93 luke-inator
My New Homie List. PM me
agentM192 nos4atu florentine PhantomAssassin thebostinian T-Freak Ka1iBuR StealingYerMail Not You
My Profile Friend's List, who wants on?
"Calm you down? Done. Enjoy your vacation."- PuzumaClick the link

#38 User is offline   Piller 

• Piller
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Brigade Name:Piller

Posted 06 July 2008 - 06:38 PM

I agree, I can't stand when people get into the groove of shiny, sleek "speedball" image vs. the tough and rough "mil-sim" image. It's kind of a primitive way of looking at things.
Automaggot #123 - Pump User #152 - ICE Epic Owner
"Marketing hype in paintball?! The nerve of some people. After all, we paintballers would never throw our hard earned cash into the magic box of marketing hype."

#39 User is offline   Knightwolf16 

• Master Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Brigade Name:Knightwolf16

Posted 06 July 2008 - 11:05 PM

In my opinion, its just a matter of preference. of course, you have people who don't like someting just because they don't use it. I lvoe my 4 Tippmanns but I don't use them as much because I picked up a Macdev Cyborg. Some people have gotten a bad Tippmann and then because of 1 marker, they hate Tippmann. I've had nothing but good experiences with all my Tippmanns. Parts breaks, its wear and tear but over all my Tippmanns were quick fix issues. I still use my Tippmanns. I had an SP8. A lot of people love the SP8 but I had nothing but problems with them. Do I hate Smart Parts because of it? No. I use a few of their barrels because they are decent barrels. Like I said, its all about preference.
"Cry "Havoc!" and let slip the dogs of war." William Shakespeare
Nous sommes les seigneurs de la guerre, tremblons avant nous
The Lords of War The Lords of War on MySpace The Lords of War MSN Group Page

#40 User is offline   DZ Unit-1 

• Cacophony Pony
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • Brigade Name:DZ Unit-1

Posted 06 July 2008 - 11:16 PM

I never had any quams or grudge for tippmann, they've been outstanding, but time moves on for some of us to upgrade, or having that feel and/or need to upgrade, thus, markers that can outperform older markers gain popularity, and players make the buy to enhance gaming experience, and something I've noticed alot is, (like video games) it's a repeating cycle.
players buy the very first markers, generally the pistols and pumps, bump up to newly advanced markers like the egos, then go back to pump markers, or stockclass, then bump back up to even more newer highends lolz, thats what I've been noticing atleast here in texas
Posted Image
"and DZ, I love that pic so much. If you were a girl, and not just a dude who looked like a girl, I would kiss you." mrwaterbuffalo, 1:17 AM "DZ, what are you?" -SnV- "He are legend." -Veritech Squad-

#41 User is offline   Thalion 

• Probably in the Shooters Thread...
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 07 July 2008 - 07:23 AM

View PostKnightwolf16, on Jul 7 2008, 01:05 AM, said:

In my opinion, its just a matter of preference. of course, you have people who don't like someting just because they don't use it. I lvoe my 4 Tippmanns but I don't use them as much because I picked up a Macdev Cyborg. Some people have gotten a bad Tippmann and then because of 1 marker, they hate Tippmann. I've had nothing but good experiences with all my Tippmanns. Parts breaks, its wear and tear but over all my Tippmanns were quick fix issues. I still use my Tippmanns. I had an SP8. A lot of people love the SP8 but I had nothing but problems with them. Do I hate Smart Parts because of it? No. I use a few of their barrels because they are decent barrels. Like I said, its all about preference.

I used to be the same way about Tippmanns, until the "problem gun," and while you've got a valid point, my "problem gun" is beyond one individual marker. Between my teammates, I can count a minimum of 5 Tippmanns (from 98s to X7s) that have suffered in performance to the point, and four of those 5 were such a massive failure that it removed one from play until it was resolved (and one of those four couldn't be resolved, because it was the receiver).

I don't insult or look down on other people just for using them (though the people who act as if Tippmann is perfect do get irritating), but I will not pick up another one again (well, maybe one of their older guns, such as an SL-68 or a F/A).

DZ, I've seen some of what you're talking about here in MN, but it seems most people here either skip the "pump/stock" phase or they skip the "high end" phase - they go from Tippmann (or other blowbacks) to one or the other. I play with a mix of both high ends and pumps, and I'm not likely to go completely one direction or the other.

This post has been edited by Thalion: 07 July 2008 - 07:27 AM

Member of Team Akkadian

#42 User is offline   kwood 

• Forum Newbie
  • Pip
  • Brigade Name:Hidden Cobra

Posted 07 July 2008 - 08:12 AM

because even thought it won't blast through a case of paint in under 10 seconds. it can survive a nuclear blast.

:)
-Kwood
OP Ivy Minor Threat Choking Victim Sabbath all that good stuff
WTB Autococker/a5/Spyder threaded barrels!!!

#43 User is offline   Piller 

• Piller
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Brigade Name:Piller

Posted 07 July 2008 - 09:53 AM

Actually, Tippmanns can fire just about as fast as many high rof markers, all it takes its an E-Grip or RT trigger. I would say a majority of people buying Tippmanns today get at least one of those. They actually fire faster than what is allowed in many tournaments like the PSP's 13bps cap. It just can't do it in semi-auto mode.

If Tippmanns today can survive a nuclear blast, their pre-Model 98 models can survive 2 nuclear blasts. But then so can a lot of other markers. A lot of people wouldn't believe me if I told them a stainless steel Automag could take a bigger beating than their Tippmann. The same goes for a lot of other markers like Sheridan based markers or a lot of old school blowbacks like VM-68s or Montneel markers.

I'm not hating on Tippmann, but a lot of people throw around the notion that they are somehow superior in reliability and durability. Tippmann puts out an image that they are tough as part of their marketing, but what makes them so reliable? A lot of people just say that because that's what they've heard and toss around an occasional "it's been through this" story to back up their belief. But if you look at them closely they aren't anything special these days. Their bodies are weaker than many other markers, there are more reliable valve systems, and with all of the accessories people put on such as E-Grips they aren't mechanically any more simple.
Automaggot #123 - Pump User #152 - ICE Epic Owner
"Marketing hype in paintball?! The nerve of some people. After all, we paintballers would never throw our hard earned cash into the magic box of marketing hype."

#44 User is offline   Long Wood 

• Most people swear by there A-5 I tend to swear at mine instead.
  • PipPip
  • Brigade Name:BOB LONG

Posted 07 July 2008 - 11:34 AM

I think for the most part that almost every mechanical gun is tough, tough as needed.

#45 User is offline   I.K.E. 

• A Militia of One
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • Brigade Name:I.K.E.

Posted 07 July 2008 - 12:42 PM

View PostPiller, on Jul 5 2008, 04:41 PM, said:

Most markers are capable of handing all positions at once. My classic Automag for example is lightweight enough that it's easy to run with, it's capable of being very consistent, relatively quiet, and if I need to I can throw paint down the tube. All the shoulder stocks, red dots, fancy vests, and other "woodsball" aren't needed for anything. You can use them to fit into Specops' branding, but in the end they're superfluous. It's all part of an image.

I agree. Image is key. Anyone here that doesn't give a crap about image? Nope. Even the guy who says he don't care about image is trying to give you the image of not caring. EVERYONE cares about appearance (unless they are mentally ill, really, look it up). So what if a guy carries a marker that looks like it belongs in Star Wars? And wears brightly colored clothing? Speedball you say? Mebbe. Or a guy with a scope and bipod? And wears camo? Woodsball? Likely, but not guaranteed. When we all were kids, we played with toys, and imagined them to be real, and do real things. So why beat down a guy for getting in touch with his inner child by adding some junk to his marker that he very likely knows does NOTHING for his performance except to make him feel good about what he is doing because he is having fun? Same is true of these Sci-Fi (used tongue-in-cheek...no offense intended) markers. So they anodize the thing to be blue and orange and stick out like a sore thumb....It makes them feel good and have fun.

Ok, now a grain of salt...There sure are some MORONS out there who buy in to all of that junk! Wow! Yeah, I get it. Some people take it too far. But, this ain't just a paintball thing. Think of all the crazies out there who root for NFL teams...I mean...really....what are you rooting for? What makes your team better than another? Nothing really. The best teams have SOME talent and an excellent team atmosphere. All the star players in the world won't make for championships.

Tippmann is as good as any company out there. Each has its advantages and disadvantages. Each company seeks its niche in the market and tries to swell to squeeze out the competition. That is how companies survive...Capitalism, remember? Which company makes a better marker for $130? That works well right out of the box without mods? Not saying they don't exist...but when you all are talking about "better" markers, you're also PAYING for a better marker. So what about BE? They suck right? 'Cause they are cheap. But will they get the job done?

Hmmm...Got to say...Macdev guns INHALE VIGOROUSLY because they cost way too much! Reliable, maybe, but I can get a CAR for what those things cost...

It is all about your perspective. Don't look down on someone because he likes his marker.....Look down on him if he is stupid enough to look down on you for yours.
"I love Kaesie because Florentine said so."Bushball is Australian for Woodsball. SOFA Best Grammar '010
Grammar Police Co-Commander Badge #1 IKE & Ike '09 STUDMUFFIN Debater of the 1st Order of Ashrak ASH123
"Overkill is underrated." -Col. John "Hannibal" Smith
Posted Image ... another Staff granted wish.

Share this topic:

• (4 Pages)
  • +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • This topic is locked

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users