• You cannot reply to this topic

Canadians for D-Day 2009 Once again, with feeling! Rate Topic: -----

#1 User is offline   Marauder_Pilot 

• Thrilling Heroics
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Members
  • Brigade Name:Marauder_Pilot

Posted 30 June 2008 - 10:21 PM

The 2008 Canadian convoys for OK D-Day 2008 were all stunning successes, with 2 groups coming from Ontario and a third from Winnipeg, along with dozens of independent people making their own ways down by car or plane, to the tune of close to over a hundred Canadians showing up in the Commonwealth alone, with dozens more in other Allied and German units. D-Day 2008 was also a stunning success as well, the best paintball I have ever played, bar none.

So, who's up for a repeat showing? Virtually all of the Commonwealth is intending to return for 2009, money and time willing, and we're looking to see the Commonwealth turned into an honest-to-god Division for 2009. (Not that you have to join the Commonwealth, but if you're going to travel halfway across the continent for some paintball, you might as well get into the best group around, and that's us in the maroon! (Those Germans with the 'Commonwealth Farces' shirts don't count, although you're more then welcome to join us next year))

First off, the costs.
Travel: The Winnipeg convoy, in the end, cost $350 a head. That was the cost of 2 rental minivans for a week, and all the gas it took to drive down there, as well as some other assorted expenses. I believe the Ontario convoy cost similar. Costs will vary, obviously, depending on the cost of gas, how many people are coming, how many vehicles needed to be rented, ect. $350 was for 8 people in 2 vans, BTW (You need both those vans, they were stacked!)
Also, make sure whatever cars you're bringing are in good shape. Change your oil, replace your spark plugs, bring a REAL spare tire (Not a donut!), top up your fluids, check it with your mechanic if you haven't recently. It's not a hard drive, as the roads are good and flat the whole way, but it's long.

Play and Paint: Paint is $65 a case. Registration is $70 a head for pre-registration. Pre-reg lasts until about May usually, at which point it goes up to $100. As for the game itself, I personally went through 2 cases. That was playing in 4 mini-games and the big game itself. I averaged out shooting...well, average-I played some games all-out, and some playing pump. Personally, I'd budget for 3, and buy 2 at the front gate. Have at LEAST a case for the big game-it's a long game, it's a long haul, and there are a LOT of people there. You don't suppress one person in a bunker. You and 20 other guys hiding behind hills supress 100 people re-inserting. Unless you've been there, you can't imagine the scale of the game.

Food: If you at all can, cook as a group. There's 2 on-field restaurants: The D-Day Cafe and the Goulash Canon. Both are very tasty, and very expensive. $10 a meal expensive. At 3 meals a day, plus snacks, that's a lot if you're going to be there for the full week. The 1st Canadian Parachute ran a communal kitchen that cost me $25 for the whole week to eat. And it was tasty, Doubt, Commish and crew are good cooks! Granted, everybody tastes better when you're out in a field, hungry, wearing dirty clothes and stuff, but still. Also, don't forget to budget for 3-ish meals and snacks on the drive down, because it's a long drive. It took us 20 hours down and 16 back from Winnipeg (No stops back, and no flat tires-I'm looking at you, Brad. :ninja:). We stopped at resturants and, again, spent $5-$10 a meal. Also, don't forget to budget for drinks and snacks. And, if you're of the sort, beer. :laugh:

Equipment: Besides all your usual gear (Gun, mask, ect), bring a backup gun. And a backup backup gun. If you own them, that is. Still, even if you just pick up an cheapo Tippmann a week before, that's good. Because NOTHING sucks more then your gun going down the night before. Also bring spares. Lots of spares. And tools. There are a lot of on-site techs, though-the guys at the BT tent were really good.

Playing gear: Pack light. Get in shape. Milsim bad. Tourny good. That solid stock, foregrip and fake mag are gonna really suck after you hump them all over a field the size of a small city for 8 hours in 90-degree heat.:laugh:

D-Day was one of the best experiences of my life. I'm going to register next paycheque, and the 1st Canadian Parachute is already, 2 weeks after the end of 2008, fuller then the entire unit was in 2007. If you can swing it, do it. It is an experience you'll never forget.

This post has been edited by Marauder_Pilot: 30 June 2008 - 10:35 PM

#2 User is offline   Eskimo 

• Igloo Member #1
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • Brigade Name:Mime

Posted 07 July 2008 - 08:00 PM

Dang man...I could do it ( for funds )
I want to do it. But I know I cant.
I'll plan for 2010. Like I posted somewere else, I'll ask yea next year

#3 User is offline   Rev.Travis 

• Forum Newbie
  • Pip

Posted 09 July 2008 - 03:21 AM

View PostMarauder_Pilot, on Jul 1 2008, 01:21 AM, said:

Granted, everybody tastes better when you're out in a field

Sounds like a friendly bunch!!! Sorry had to do it.

Thanks for putting this up, I am with a small group located about two hours north west of Toronto that are gearing for 2009 (first time for all of us) and all this info will be put to very good use.

#4 User is offline   Digital Pirate 

• Commonwealth Expeditionary Force
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Moderators
  • Brigade Name:DigitalPirate

Posted 09 July 2008 - 10:18 PM

Lol, poking fun at Brad eh Don? :D

I back up everything that Marauder Pilot has said. If you are planning on joining the Commonwealth, welcome!

This was my first year at D-Day (2008) and it was the most fun I've had in years. I've met a bunch of good guys who I now consider my friends, and girl watching buddies (yes, Wally, PK and Aaron I'm looking at you guys!).

It's a great experience to be had.

#5 User is offline   VOZ 

• **GHOST**
  • PipPip
  • Brigade Name:**GHOST**

Posted 14 July 2008 - 12:49 AM

Calling all Canadians! Calling all Canadians!

The Krauts will tell you "Fear the Trees!". My response "Beavers EAT trees, sucka."

Join up with 1 CAN PARA, the Royal Winnipeg Rifles, or the Canadian Scottish Regiment, and let the world know how Canada plays paintball!

http://www.youtube.c...h?v=RH5Zohxa0no

#6 User is offline   Marauder_Pilot 

• Thrilling Heroics
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 14 July 2008 - 01:18 PM

That's true. Most of the Canadian contingent wound up in the Commonwealth. The Commonwealth was responsible for a whole third of the Allied points in 2008. They also swept the field in 2007 and were the only Allied unit to accomplish all their objectives in 2006.

Let that sink in. There were...what, 100 Canadians? Plus the 60-ish Brits and Aussies, who rock just as hard, and the 40-odd Americans who wanted to be awesome too. 200 people, 1/10th of the Allied team, who took 1/3rd of the points.

We mean business, and EVERYBODY know it.

If you're a Canadian at D-Day, everybody knows it. Everybody respects you-I mean, you don't travel literally thousands of kilometers because you're some casual player. Hell no, any Canadian there means business. You'll be playing with some of the finest scenario players in the entire country.

#7 User is offline   FrozenCannuk 

• Forum Member
  • PipPip
  • Brigade Name:Sled_Neck270

Posted 18 August 2008 - 08:22 PM

I can afford to go, i really want to but i can't until i'm 18 (parents)
so I'm aiming for 2011 then.
Stupidity killed the cat, Curiosity was blamed.
Vegetarian- (adj) An old Navajo word for "Bad Hunter"
Jesus may be able to walk on water, but chuck norris can swim through dry land
Some people are alive for the simple reason that it is illegal to shoot them
My feedback My Wishlist How To Prevent Gear Theft

#8 User is offline   Digital Pirate 

• PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 20 August 2008 - 02:17 PM

View PostFrozenCannuk, on Aug 18 2008, 10:22 PM, said:

I can afford to go, i really want to but i can't until i'm 18 (parents)
so I'm aiming for 2011 then.

We had a minor coming down last year, if you can get your parents permission, it can be done.

#9 User is offline   Marauder_Pilot 

• Thrilling Heroics
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 20 August 2008 - 09:21 PM

I think one of the stipulations was that minors could only come with their parents (If you're talking about Logan, he's the only minor I think we had), although I can't remember if that's a stipulation of the convoy or the field.

#10 User is offline   JackRock 

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Brigade Name:JackRock

Posted 20 August 2008 - 09:40 PM

The convoy may have that rule, but D-Day doesn't.
This is my sig. There are many like it, but this one is mine. My sig is my best friend. It is my life. I must master it as I must master my life. My sig, without me, is useless. Without my sig, I am useless. I must type my sig true. I must spell better than my enemy who is trying to judge me. I must type before he ridicules me. I WILL... My sig and I know that what counts in this forum is not the rounds we fire, the noise of our burst, nor the splatter we make. We know that it is the hits that count. WE WILL HIT... Before the Admins, I swear this creed. My sig and myself are the defenders of my forum. We are the masters of our enemy. WE ARE THE SAVIORS OF MY PROFILE. - Tippmann Owner #pi

#11 User is offline   druid 

• Celtic Warrior - Mo Anam Cara
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • Brigade Name:druidsdecendant

Posted 20 August 2008 - 11:36 PM

Count 2 for the CanScots......me and my 12yr old daughter Elizabeth
Warped A5; M98; 68 Magnum w/ AGD 6-Pack, Automaggot #92 Custom Modder #5
"Political correctness is a doctrine, fostered by a delusional, illogical minority, and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a turd by the clean end."
I got my OWN smiley...

#12 User is offline   mtaylor 

• Lacking Creativity
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Brigade Name:mtaylor

Posted 24 August 2008 - 09:19 PM

This year's game was smack in the middle of exams. I really wish I could make it down.

2011 might be my year, too. 2010 more likely.

<Insert Sig Here>

#13 User is offline   druid 

• Celtic Warrior - Mo Anam Cara
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • Brigade Name:druidsdecendant

Posted 24 August 2008 - 10:16 PM

Oh suuuuuuuuuuuure.....I finally am able to make it and ya'll run for the Hills .... chickens :D
Warped A5; M98; 68 Magnum w/ AGD 6-Pack, Automaggot #92 Custom Modder #5
"Political correctness is a doctrine, fostered by a delusional, illogical minority, and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a turd by the clean end."
I got my OWN smiley...

#14 User is offline   Digital Pirate 

• PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 24 August 2008 - 10:19 PM

You won't see me runnin' any time soon druid! :D

#15 User is offline   Cassius Allanus 

• Your God
  • PipPip
  • Brigade Name:CassiusAllanus

Posted 24 August 2008 - 10:27 PM

I'm really really really really hoping I can make it down in 2009. I missed this year due to an unplanned lack of money and severe over-abundance of depression and anxiety.
AIM: CassiusAllanus | MSN: Brendon.Allan@shaw.ca | XFire: enlighteneddespot | E-MAIL: Brendon.Allan@shaw.ca | ESO2: HG_CassiusA | Steam: cassiusallanus

The OFFICIAL Tiberius Arms forums are up!

Share this topic:

• (3 Pages)
  • +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users