Special Ops Paintball: Transitioning between Sniper and Sabre - Special Ops Paintball

• (2 Pages)
  • +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Transitioning between Sniper and Sabre Rate Topic: -----

#16 User is offline   BlackWolf214 

• Tactical EMT
  • Pip
  • Group: Members
  • Brigade Name:BlackWolf214

Posted 04 July 2008 - 06:30 AM

I got my a5 set up as a hybrid, 14" tippmann sniper barrel, a5a2 forgrip, remote coil, CAR 3 position stock, raised sight rail and red dot scope. I run the x7 hopper for the low profile. I frequently float between the the two positions as needed by my team. I will sit and ambush, ghost flank, or longball as needed but I will also step up tho the front line and mix it up with the big boys when it gets heavy. You CAN do both it just a matter of preparation and knowing your environment. If you are going to hybrid good camo is a must. In short "Designated Marksman" works the best for my role on the team. Perhaps SpecOps should look at revising/changing the sniper position IMO.

This post has been edited by BlackWolf214: 04 July 2008 - 06:38 AM

Official Sabre #144 (I guess) "If we can't do it, It doesn't need to be done!"
Slammin' and Sneakin' -- Sabre/Sniper hybrid
Improvise, Adapt, Overcome - Emergency Medical Services motto

#17 User is offline   Marine Scout Sniper 

• Digitaly Sniping one shot at a time
  • PipPipPip
  • Brigade Name:scoutsniper777

Posted 04 July 2008 - 09:17 AM

Well that's just it. Snipers in the real military have been known to travel with larger forces. As Joe Mac our resident real life sniper has said, when that happens they usually like to wear the same camo as the troops they are with. There are also snipers who step into the DM role in the military. Usually a DM will not be operating a fully automatic rifle.

So even in a scenario sense, you don't have to change the name. Designated Marksman is only part of the job but it can be a vital one. We can long ball people to shake up the back of the battlefront while our automatic carrying brothers make it rain up close, and we can end up front conflicts quickly when guys like Sabres or Broadswords have a guy pinned down. We can quickly move in to accurately hit the guy and get the front moving saving players that could be hit on our own team by lending a hand. We can also longball to cover for our other teammates to bag a guy.

All just part of the job. The Ghillie is only optional.

Praise and Complaint Dept. (feedback) Digitally Dangerous [Cocker Owner #77] A5 RT Operator

#18 User is offline   vindex762 

• Forum Newbie
  • Pip
  • Brigade Name:VINDEX308

Posted 05 July 2008 - 01:02 PM

I agree with Marine Scout Sniper here, I am just trying to round out my game. I really like the special ops positions but I really think that people can get hooked into the metality that if my position wouldn't do that then I can't do it beacuse a "fill in position here" is not 'supposed' to do that. I have played as a sniper and train in marksmanship and stealth but I have also been a commander and a rifleman. I think that specialization is for bugs, and everybody should be a well rounded player to fill any tactical gaps that might open up.

#19 User is offline   Marine Scout Sniper 

• PipPipPip

Posted 06 July 2008 - 08:43 PM

Well the military agrees with you because part of the commanders guidelines while in search of candidates for sniper training includes the following words.

"A well rounded infantry troop."

There are other suggestions. But it starts with that.

Those words are the reason I am setting myself up to branch out even more. I have been a commander and a few other things but I view my operational speciality as a means to be able to branch out and not confine myself.

Praise and Complaint Dept. (feedback) Digitally Dangerous [Cocker Owner #77] A5 RT Operator

#20 User is offline   BlackWolf214 

• Tactical EMT
  • Pip
  • Brigade Name:BlackWolf214

Posted 07 July 2008 - 04:42 AM

I was unclear in my post, I was only trying to make the point that you don't need position specific gear. I don't run full auto and I don't wear ghille. The remark about designated marksman was the best term to describe what I do for the team as I don't lock myself into one position. I truly believe to be an effective player you need to be versatile and that was my point. Sorry for any confusion.
Official Sabre #144 (I guess) "If we can't do it, It doesn't need to be done!"
Slammin' and Sneakin' -- Sabre/Sniper hybrid
Improvise, Adapt, Overcome - Emergency Medical Services motto

#21 User is offline   MaDuce 

• Grab your gun and bring the cat in.
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • Brigade Name:MaDuce

Posted 07 July 2008 - 06:05 PM

I don't see why a "Saber"-ish player can't employ "sniper" tactics. A Sabre can quietly lay in wait for an opfor patrol to walk in his (and better yet his team's) killzone. There's no reason a Sabre can't rush foward right after the horn blows to scout out the opfor's deployment. A Sabre is the most versitile player in the field. there isn't alot he can't do.

Then again there isn't a reason a "Broadsword," or a "Dagger" couldn't carry out those tasks...

If you find your gearkit is too heavy or cumbersome for quick manouvers, than wear a pod-pack rather than your loaded-down vest. However, don't spend $ on action ghillie only to find you might like playing a more "dagger"-ish role in the future.
"Its very hard to grasp the idea at first but once you accept it, it makes A LOT of sense!" -- Minnesota Sn1p3r on conspiracy theories
"Everyone instantly jumps the conclusion that the government is out to get us." -- SWAT SAINT
"Bad Duce, bad." -- Ace-014
"Good man, Duce, good man." -- Tryon
"Also accepting female snipers." -- Lt.Col.Vortex

#22 User is offline   vindex762 

• Forum Newbie
  • Pip

Posted 07 July 2008 - 07:10 PM

It is just my crazy opinion that Spec Ops should add a position that is an everything position, not like Chuck Norris level, but somebody that can get the job done and can adapt to any tactical situation and carries equipment to do it.

#23 User is offline   MaDuce 

• Grab your gun and bring the cat in.
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • Brigade Name:MaDuce

Posted 07 July 2008 - 07:58 PM

Or players could stop treating every marketing ploy SpecOps rolls out as if it came from the pope and just play their own style with gear that they are comfortable with.
"Its very hard to grasp the idea at first but once you accept it, it makes A LOT of sense!" -- Minnesota Sn1p3r on conspiracy theories
"Everyone instantly jumps the conclusion that the government is out to get us." -- SWAT SAINT
"Bad Duce, bad." -- Ace-014
"Good man, Duce, good man." -- Tryon
"Also accepting female snipers." -- Lt.Col.Vortex

#24 User is offline   Marine Scout Sniper 

• PipPipPip

Posted 07 July 2008 - 09:49 PM

View PostMaDuce, on Jul 7 2008, 09:58 PM, said:

Or players could stop treating every marketing ploy SpecOps rolls out as if it came from the pope and just play their own style with gear that they are comfortable with.

Nice shot :sick:

I do that anyway. I have some stuff that would take an act of congress for spec ops to get their hands on.

What is it?

Official Issue USMC woodland MCCUU digital cammies.

As it is you have to know someone or be a marine yourself in a lot of cases to get your hands on a set.

I knew someone who knew someone. And it was an act of God that I got it. perfectly matching patterns for the jacket and pants, no blemishes. I'll never sell it so long as I breathe and I'll control it's sale from the grave afterward. :eck:

I'm a lil more on the mil-simmish side. Not everything I have is worn by the military but most of it is or was in some way. I also abide by the military's guidelines on loadout as well. If I know it serves no practical function for the game I don't bother packing it.

Which means I have no cotton-picking flashlights on my markers. I'm more prone to buy x-chambers, regs, barrels, a usable grip like a vertical foregrip or an M4 or AK nature of a non-weaver/picatinny nature. Things that makes my marker function more in some kind of way.

That's me. In the end, I play how I want to play. Team first, selfless and if need be, relentless, hard charging and precise.

#25 User is offline   vindex762 

• Forum Newbie
  • Pip

Posted 12 July 2008 - 10:54 AM

Marine Scout Sniper... You must be like me beacuse that is how I think and play the game. I was also lucky to get a set of offical issue Marpat digis and they are awsome, you are right in saying that you need to be a marine or know someone. I have almost all military surplus or issue gear, in my opinion it is cheaper and lasts longer and preforms better.

#26 User is offline   Eskimo 

• Igloo Member #1
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • Brigade Name:Mime

Posted 19 July 2008 - 11:42 AM

here's my thought on the transition.

Go buy yourself a good hopper that will keep up with your spyder.
on any givin day, take off your 20 round tube and replace it with the hopper.

Voila! Est "Sabre"

but no serously, grab yourself a hopper ( even if its a shake and bake ) and use that when you play "sniper" when your done having Tom. B. Sniper 2 visions then move with the rest of your force and join near then flaking and supressive fire.

And by that I mean flank halfway and start plinking away at someone when they come out. dont take many shots you'll be found quickly.
just when they come up to shot your team mate. put a ball at his head. when he comes back up. put one ball at his head.

You dont need a phonebooth to change clothing. from "sniper" to "sabre"
you just need the opportunity.

#27 User is offline   Spartan Heart 

• Forum Newbie
  • Pip
  • Brigade Name:Spartan Heart

Posted 22 July 2008 - 07:35 AM

im a sabre and that's were i do my magic, but i think it's important (especially if ur one of ur teams leader, commander...what ever u want to call it), u need to be able to adapt and help your team out where it benifits it most.......many times ive had to fall to a ambush sniper or carry out a flank, thats won the game....... being able to fall to diffrent possitions if needed is very beneficial :panzer:
Semper Fidelis- Death before dishoner- Fear is not an Option- Swift, Silent, Deadly
"If we can't do it, it doesn't need to be done" (Saber)
Oorah!

#28 User is offline   C/SMSgt Pearson 

• Forum Newbie
  • Pip

Posted 31 July 2008 - 08:59 AM

View Postlardlad, on Jun 28 2008, 05:20 PM, said:

Between Sniper and.. Sabre?

I don't think a Sniper should carry that much ammo, they should have one of those low profile 30 round hoppers, and thats more than enough.

I play sabre all the time and i have a light pack(6+1) and i can hold 1040 with a full hopper.

#29 User is offline   endurimil 

• Forum Newbie
  • Pip
  • Brigade Name:endurimil

Posted 22 August 2008 - 09:07 PM

New guy, but here is my observation.

All are good info. But what will be the deciding factor of the transition is one's ability to make each shot count. To effectively put rounds on target without wasting any. Spend some time by yourself working on your shot.

Most of the best snipers like Rob Furlong where great shots before they where given a sniper rifle.
4. If your shooting stance is good, you're probably not moving fast enough nor using cover correctly.

15. Flank your adversary when possible. Protect yours.

Share this topic:

• (2 Pages)
  • +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users