Special Ops Paintball: World's first rotating skyscraper - Special Ops Paintball

• (3 Pages)
  • +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

World's first rotating skyscraper unveiled in Dubai Rate Topic: -----

#16 User is offline   motoguy1251 

• Mustache Afficianado
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Members
  • Brigade Name:motoguy1251

Posted 25 June 2008 - 10:38 AM

i wonder how it handles changin wind gusts.
1Ill be on you like white on rice in a glass of milk on a paper plate in a snow storm!!
2Games: Americas Army, Battlefield 2,2142,1942,vietnam,Fear, CSS,Red Orchestra,DOD, Oblivion,GaryMod,more

#17 User is offline   Becc 

• Target
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • Brigade Name:Beccolter

Posted 25 June 2008 - 11:17 AM

you wouldnt really have to have it right next to the core... thats what plumbing is for... thats like asking what we do with the stuff that comes out of second story bathrooms... OH TEH NOES WHAT DO WE DO THATS IT NO 2 STORY HOUSES! lol. i'm thinking they probably dont rotate all the way around in a circle... maybe a 300* spin... and then spin back. that way, you could have plastic tubes that just bend when you move. also im going to assume they'll have some sort of elevator that opens on multiple sides, and emergency stairs that have a main landing.

maybe there'll be some kind of main lobby on each floor in the core, with things leading down from it... after all itd have to be a pretty dang large core to support all this, and that way they could just have steel poles going up the length with a wall that rotates around... that way any time you open the door, bang theres the core (even if you have to wait 2 seconds for it to rotate far enough for you to squeeze past the poll)

#18 User is offline   Tora 

• Yes, that is Barney. My Barney. No you can't have him.
  • PipPipPip

Posted 25 June 2008 - 11:20 AM

mommy, I'm getting sea sick from my bedroom.
FEEDBACK

My momma raised me the be SHAMELESS!

#19 User is offline   Puzuma 

• That is not dead which can eternal lie,
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Administrators
  • Brigade Name:Puzuma

Posted 25 June 2008 - 12:13 PM

View PostBecc, on Jun 25 2008, 02:17 PM, said:

you wouldnt really have to have it right next to the core... thats what plumbing is for... thats like asking what we do with the stuff that comes out of second story bathrooms... OH TEH NOES WHAT DO WE DO THATS IT NO 2 STORY HOUSES! lol. i'm thinking they probably dont rotate all the way around in a circle... maybe a 300* spin... and then spin back. that way, you could have plastic tubes that just bend when you move. also im going to assume they'll have some sort of elevator that opens on multiple sides, and emergency stairs that have a main landing.

maybe there'll be some kind of main lobby on each floor in the core, with things leading down from it... after all itd have to be a pretty dang large core to support all this, and that way they could just have steel poles going up the length with a wall that rotates around... that way any time you open the door, bang theres the core (even if you have to wait 2 seconds for it to rotate far enough for you to squeeze past the poll)

I poked around a little but didn't find an answer to the plumbing question. I did find out that the core is 30 yards in diameter, more than large enough for a stationary plumbing facilities.

The floors are also designed to rotate a full 360o.
Posted Image
That is not dead which can eternal lie,And with strange aeons even death may die.

#20 User is offline   Octavious 

• Sophomore Member
  • PipPipPip

Posted 25 June 2008 - 12:23 PM

Dubai has way to much money.

Such as building an indoor Ski Hill. Not to mention the Hotel that is shaped like a giant Sailboat Sail..

Pretty cool, but they really have to much money in that area

-Oct

#21 User is offline   Evil Fingers 

• ELITE Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 25 June 2008 - 12:31 PM

Man, Dubai must have some extremely potent Cannibis growing in their area for them to legally build a building like that.

And ya know, looking at the pics in the first post, reminds me of that game called Jenga, which also reminds me of the time during a Company Christmas Party, playing Jenga while intoxicated can really screw up your buzz.

#22 User is offline   WardenWolf 

• Aspie Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Brigade Name:WardenWolf

Posted 25 June 2008 - 12:36 PM

Power isn't as big a problem as you'd think. I can think of a couple of ways to make it work. Remember that we've had skyscrapers with rotating observation floors for years, and even with restaurants up there. As for stairs / elevators, etc., the way those work is the elevator opens up onto a circular landing inside the core. The outside wall is the apartment wall. Then you just walk around the landing to your door. Plumbing is the biggest problem. One way is for each apartment to have a reservoir that's recharged every time it comes in line with a filler pipe, and a containment tank that's purged in the same manner. The other way is obvious, communal or designated bathrooms inside the core itself.

Kanye: "Yo, Chile, I'm gonna let you finish shakin', but I just got to say Haiti had one of the best earthquakes of all time!"
Save a tree: wipe your ass with a hippie!

#23 User is offline   Thorax 

• PipPipPip

Posted 25 June 2008 - 12:56 PM

That's BOINKin sick.

#24 User is offline   Seizureman 

• Designated Idiot
  • PipPip
  • Brigade Name:Seizureman

Posted 25 June 2008 - 01:28 PM

View PostTora, on Jun 25 2008, 02:20 PM, said:

When you think about it... would the spin feel all that noticeable? Or would it depend on where you were, being close to the core would mean you would feel it less, right?

Cant have a Shameless Quote if they won't tell me what it is...
401 BP

#25 User is offline   Becc 

• Target
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • Brigade Name:Beccolter

Posted 25 June 2008 - 02:13 PM

View PostSeizureman, on Jun 25 2008, 04:28 PM, said:

When you think about it... would the spin feel all that noticeable? Or would it depend on where you were, being close to the core would mean you would feel it less, right?

the top of the hub in the prudential center (boston) rotates... im assuming it would be the same as this building. it rotates very slowly, about once around in an hour. its enough that if you look out the window youll barely notice it, but if you glance down for a few minutes and then back up, you see a new view. its cool cause during a dinner you get to see all of boston, but you dont get sick or anything.

note: i absolutely despised my time there. rich butt resteraunt with FOUR different forks and tons of plates and spoons and multiple glasses... and no menu, just one meal. they laughed at me when i asked if they had something vegetarian :laugh: wouldnt even give me extra bread (which ill admit was yummy)... AND I HAD TO DRESS UP! like Dirty Acronym. not worth 100 a plate or whatever ridiculous amount it was... i coulda got a paintball gun with the cost of that dinner. rich family members ftl

#26 User is offline   SabreUK 

• Lounge Monkey
  • PipPip
  • Brigade Name:Who cares?

Posted 25 June 2008 - 02:18 PM

Yeah I've been in a few revolving restaurants, one in Liverpool, I believe it's not a restaurant any more, and one in Germany, and they weren't so bad, the one in Germany was smaller but rotated quicker, it wasn't bad though. You'd have to be really bad with motion sickness to really feel sick.

#27 User is offline   Pheonix250 

• Rec Rookie - POP *snick*
  • PipPip
  • Brigade Name:PHOENIX250

Posted 25 June 2008 - 02:30 PM

View PostSeizureman, on Jun 25 2008, 04:28 PM, said:

As a matter of fact, as long as the floors rotate at a constant speed, you wouldn't notice it at all. Mainly what you feel is the accelleration/decelleration. For example, you don't notice the Earth rotating, despite the fact it revolves in excess of 1000 miles an hour around the equator.

This post has been edited by Pheonix250: 25 June 2008 - 02:32 PM

Automag, 2k3 Autococker, Trilogy Comp. Sniper

#28 User is offline   LoD 

• Lord of Death
  • PipPip
  • Brigade Name:LoD

Posted 25 June 2008 - 02:54 PM

That'd be sweet if they have balconies. Looks cool though.. Not sure how practical it is though... I guess if you're super freaking rich and want to visit Dubai a lot.. Sure.. Dubai is doin some crazy stuff in the last decade or two.

My Feedback Thread
"I look at it as an opportunity to bloody up the hammer some more. Especially now since I replaced the leather wrap and it needs to be worked in." - Puzuma

#29 User is offline   General Biggles 

• The Horde Consumes... And You're Next.
  • PipPip
  • Brigade Name:General Biggles

Posted 25 June 2008 - 02:58 PM

Has anyone ever noticed that Dubai is INSANE!!!!!!!!!! Seriously, these guys have built an entire island shaped like a palm tree and are planning on doin three more that are even more extravagant. They also have the most insane skyscrapers ever.
What is best in life? To crush your enemies, to see them driven before you and to hear the lamentation of their women.

#30 User is offline   Puzuma 

• That is not dead which can eternal lie,
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Administrators
  • Brigade Name:Puzuma

Posted 25 June 2008 - 03:00 PM

View PostGeneral Biggles, on Jun 25 2008, 05:58 PM, said:

Has anyone ever noticed that Dubai is INSANE!!!!!!!!!! Seriously, these guys have built an entire island shaped like a palm tree and are planning on doin three more that are even more extravagant. They also have the most insane skyscrapers ever.

It's 3 total. the smallest is nearly done and the largest is on hold I believe. Not enough big boulders to build the base or something.

Some other Dubai projects: http://www.funonthen...nt/view/127/31/
Posted Image
That is not dead which can eternal lie,And with strange aeons even death may die.

Share this topic:

• (3 Pages)
  • +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users