• You cannot reply to this topic

Dangerous Lightbulbs Thanks Congress Rate Topic: -----

#31 User is offline   PhunkyMunky 

• Git'er Done!!
  • PipPip
  • Group: Members
  • Brigade Name:Gotta change this

Posted 22 June 2008 - 09:08 AM

Yeah, during the prelim they send out a card asking which party you inend to vote for the year. After that, they only send you stuff pertaining to that party, including absentee ballots. Rediculous! PERTURBED me off when they started that. There is a form of protest that's been going on since this started though. LOL, typical Seattle passive-aggressive LOL. We just simply refuse to vote. That's been hurting some of our local elections too. Last Presidential Prelim there was something on the news that had to do with the lack of voting activity in the State of Washington. They also mentioned that it's being looked at as a kind of silent protest, making the votes inaccurate somehow.

#32 User is offline   mrwaffles 

• Part time crazy person
  • PipPip
  • Brigade Name:Mrwaffles

Posted 22 June 2008 - 10:46 AM

I replaced five of the old type light bulbs with the energy saving ones about a year ago and not a single one has blown or broken. I don't know if we're saving any money either though since I don't see the bills, but I'd hope that we are. The light bulbs were only bright for the first week or so. I had four older style light bulbs in my bathroom before and now I have two of the curly ones and they are brighter than the four other light bulbs.

Either way, I will continue to use them since they are saving energy and I've not had any problems with them yet.

#33 User is offline   millhouse 

• Proud Jeep Owner
  • PipPipPip
  • Brigade Name:Millhouse09

Posted 22 June 2008 - 04:09 PM

I keep seeing over and over... LED LED LED LED LED well the fact is that they can be bought, but most are about $20-$50 bucks a piece (from the standard to outdoor floods). I dont know about you, but if our household went all LED, we would literally spend as LITTLE as $2300 on lightbulbs. I know they are awesome, they are just expensive to make, but at least they are supposed to outlast flourescent by 6 times longer. Its just that not many people are willing or have the money to drop that much money into lightbulbs at once even though its cheaper in the long run. And LEDs actually run hotter than you might think. Heat is one of the biggest killers of LEDs. Heat generated by the light emitting chip has to be dissipated which requires a heatsink in order to run a bunch in one array. We are only in the beginning stages of Household LED production for these various reasons, but I love leds just as much as everybody else, they just are far enough along to be worthwhile.

heres some more on this.
http://www.ledinside.com/en/Advantages_and...lication_200712

This post has been edited by millhouse: 22 June 2008 - 04:10 PM

#34 User is offline   slowerpig81 

• This man is a Beast with that Phantom. -thisissparta
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • Brigade Name:slowerpig81

Posted 23 June 2008 - 09:54 AM

I think CFLs are fine, but there are many problems to making them a requirement. Some applications require incandescents for some of their traits. In my kitchen, I use halogens on a dimmer for light and 3 small bulbs in and on the bottom of the microwave to light up the stove. The bulbs in the microwave have to be small, and CFLs might get damaged by the radiation. Inside the fridge and freezer there are incandescents, and the cold temps and short operating times are extremely unsuited for CFLs. If you have ever used a CFL outside in cold weather you know how dim and slow they are. Also, turning a CFL on and off a lot dramatically shortens its life.

Anyone have a reptile? They use halogen lights for warmth and to simulate the sun. Same premise goes for heat lamps in a bathroom. CFLs cannot do these duties.

Many light fixtures in my house are too small to accommodate a CFL of any good light output. I also use a dimmer in my bedroom.

I also use many CFLs in my house, mostly in the basement. My basement is probably 90% fluorescent, with only 1 or 2 incandescents.

#35 User is offline   Fenrisulfr 

• They call me "Opsy."
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Brigade Name:BlackOpsGhost

Posted 23 June 2008 - 10:15 AM

View PostPhunkyMunky, on Jun 22 2008, 10:08 AM, said:

Yeah, during the prelim they send out a card asking which party you inend to vote for the year. After that, they only send you stuff pertaining to that party, including absentee ballots. Rediculous! PERTURBED me off when they started that. There is a form of protest that's been going on since this started though. LOL, typical Seattle passive-aggressive LOL. We just simply refuse to vote. That's been hurting some of our local elections too. Last Presidential Prelim there was something on the news that had to do with the lack of voting activity in the State of Washington. They also mentioned that it's being looked at as a kind of silent protest, making the votes inaccurate somehow.

So... did you HAVE to sign it? It sounds more like a semi-forced party allegience. Meaning, they send you something, and without writing it all out effectivly enough, you're lead to believe that you have to choose a party in order to vote.

But it's still bull crap. Any news on if that will be lifted?

This post has been edited by Fenrisulfr: 23 June 2008 - 10:15 AM

BOG, that was the most annoying thing I have ever had to endure, and I once watched a whole Teletubbies episode. - Hobo
I don't have MAJOR problems. I have minor annoyances that YOU consider major problems.
WARNING: Extreme sarcasm ahead.

Share this topic:

• (3 Pages)
  • +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users