• I am SciFi
  • PipPip
  • Group: Members
  • Brigade Name:MASER

Posted 21 June 2008 - 02:02 PM

Posted Image

Its a conspiracy I tell you!

Light bulbs waste oil.
Florescent Lights contain hazardous materials.
LEDs and Halogens Lights give us cancer.

They want us to go back to using candles. The They'll complain that the candles are going to burn us alive.

I say we use what ever we feel like instead of having "Comrade Congress" tell us what to buy and use.

Binary Specter: Scenario Paintball Team
"Haven't you read the Super Villain's Handbook? This is where you're supposed to twirl your mustache and gloat."
"We're not going in circles, nimrod, 'cause we've never been here before. We're completely lost."

#17 User is offline   sartek 

• Trained Shop Monkey
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • Brigade Name:SARTEK

Posted 21 June 2008 - 05:21 PM

http://www.energystar.gov/ia/partners/prom...eet_Mercury.pdf

All i know is that since i swapped every light in my house to CFL's almost 5 years ago, my electric bill has been about 20% of what it was using incandescent, and I've only had to replace 3 bulbs, all in a flourescent torch lamp that keeps getting knocked over.

According to the EnergyStar documetn i linked above, there are more mercury emissions from coal power plants than will be accumulated from CFL's.. besides, mercury is a base element. it's mined, not artificially created, not liek we're generating more from what's already existing.

This post has been edited by sartek: 21 June 2008 - 05:23 PM

"I tinker, therefore I am" - Doc Nickel
DOT HazMat Geek, Airsmith, Tinkerer

#18 User is offline   Evil Fingers 

• ELITE Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 21 June 2008 - 05:45 PM

I have an Idea (insert lightbulb emoticon), why not go back to the Old Ways, by using Candles.

#19 User is offline   Ekima 

• :Grin: I like it when you run!
  • PipPipPip
  • Brigade Name:EKIMA

Posted 21 June 2008 - 05:48 PM

or we can all move to Texas support them and the people who accually think about the laws they create and let the rest of the world go to rot! :dodgy:

GGGOOOOOO TEXAS!!!!!

Ekima

#20 User is offline   -SMITTY- 

• one of the original 27,731 members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • Brigade Name:-SMITTY-

Posted 21 June 2008 - 06:47 PM

My mom just bought one of those lightbulbs. I saw the package "warning, product contains mercury" :o Why the hell would anyone buy one in the first place? :P Look, the planet Earth has been around for a billion some odd years. In the first hundred million years of its life, it was molten. In the next 60 million years, there were constant volcanic eruptions. When Mt. Saint. Helens blew up in the 80's it spewed more toxic gases into the atmosphere than in the entire history of human industry (factories, cars etc). If none of that destroyed the environment, I highly doubt that a little halogen light bulb will. :laugh:

#21 User is offline   Puzuma 

• That is not dead which can eternal lie,
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Administrators
  • Brigade Name:Puzuma

Posted 21 June 2008 - 06:59 PM

Do you guys have any clue how much mercury is in a CFL? 5mg, about the same as the tip of a ball point pen.
Did you know that the older mercury thermometers have 500mg in them? What about older homes with the manual thermostats? Some of those have as much as 3000mg of mercury.

You now that shiny yellow metal your parents have wrapped around their finger or you may have around your neck? Guess what? They use mercury to extract gold.

Dental fillings used to contain mercury too. While most of it has been removed from use there are probably still a few that use it.

Like I'm going to worry about a light bulb.
Posted Image
That is not dead which can eternal lie,And with strange aeons even death may die.

#22 User is offline   Veritech Squad 

• Come at me bro.
  • PipPipPipPip

Posted 21 June 2008 - 07:07 PM

We have had them in our house now for a few months, and haven't replaced a single one. Normally I'd have gone through 2 normal ones by now.
Wretched is the sound of my voice.

IN MY DROPSHIP ZIGZAGS STAY LIT

#23 User is offline   Maj Tom 

• This is the funvee. Not the humdrumvee
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Retired/Inactive Moderator
  • Brigade Name:Maj Tom

Posted 21 June 2008 - 07:30 PM

Every socket in our house has had these for 8 or so years. We go through 4-6 a year. Exterior sconces are hard on them and we have 1 or 2 quit every now and then after 18-20mo of service.

Lets see the bulbs in my room, one installed 5-3-04 the other 7-21-05. The last one I replace was due to my nephew throwing a bouncy ball and cracking it.

#24 User is offline   PhunkyMunky 

• Git'er Done!!
  • PipPip
  • Brigade Name:Gotta change this

Posted 22 June 2008 - 06:31 AM

We have been using them for a few months now and I haven't had an issue. I haven't noticed any decrease in the electric bill, likely due to the fact that we only have a few in use. But our lightbulb bill has gone down. We haven't replace a single one. As for the mercury in it..... IDK. Our thermometers have it in there, I don't think it a big deal. But, I think it's wrong for the Government to tell us that we can only use one type of lightbulb. I'm not going to go off on our supposed lack of freedom.

Even with the Brady Bill, cracking down on guns altogether, and every other dang think I can't think of right now, I feel this is still the land of the free. I've see places personally that don't have freedom.

EDIT: OK I lied....

It drives me nuts to see people whining about the Government. YOU elected them. They didn't just show up and take over. You can always vote for someone else next time. Vote on laws too, it's your right ya know. You want to talk about communism? Try having someone tell you that you can only have one child and it better be a boy. Any more then that get's killed or taken away. How about it being mandatory that ALL men join the military. No longer a volunteer military, but forced. How about spending time in prison just because you stated you dislike for the current administration? Or because you refused to join the service. How about working long days to buy a house you won't own, the Government will. And after you've made it a home, they kick you out and do as they wish with it, while you're on the street in the cold with no compensation.

There are many, many things worse then being a U.S. Citizen. If you disagree, though I have no wish for you to permanantly leave, I do invite you to go visit a country that has stricter laws and policy. See how their people live.

I appologize for the rant. I just don't like to see people complain that this isn't a free Nation. It is, much more so then most other countries. Not that I think it's our Governments place to dictate what we can and can't do with ourselves. Especially in my own home. You can bet I'll be checking a little closer on what's going on and if I don't like what my representitive is doing, I'll vote the fatherless man out.

This post has been edited by PhunkyMunky: 22 June 2008 - 06:32 AM

#25 User is offline   Legato 

• AKA reapermen - AKA Legaqua - Resident Brass Whore
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Retired/Inactive Moderator

Posted 22 June 2008 - 06:43 AM

I've been trying to vote my reps and senators out for years, Kerry and Kennedy, as well as others. I can't though. I am one of maybe 1,000 like minded people in my state. I always vote. But i almost always lose. ;) It's really depressing when you go to the ballots to vote on a candidate, and we will say 10 elections are going on, and 6-8 of them are running unapposed. Write in time for me then. I've voted more for friends and neighbors on more elections than i can count. And as much as i'd like to run for office and help the country, i have waaaaay too many skeletons in the closet that would quickly end any kind of public run for election.
"I think wearing camo is dishonorable. No honorable player would pretend to be a tree or bush."Posted Image My Gallery - Ninja/Pirate Alliance - Marker Animations Posted ImageSpec Ops Posted Image Pump CrewSig Rules - Gen Rules & Regs - Avatar Rules - Warn Level/Reduction - Forum FAQs - Ultimate Pump Sticky - PDT

#26 User is offline   mnm 

• Forum Member
  • PipPip

Posted 22 June 2008 - 07:01 AM

led led led it is not that complicated.As I said before we have let these polititions
think we the american people work for them.This is a misconception they have
They work for us,and to me they are doing a crapy job.If they were running a
business like this country they would have been fired long ago.So I say lets
fire the one that aren't pulling there weight to help the country and it's people
that pay them to run it.

#27 User is offline   Anti-Hero13 

• Never take life seriously. Nobody gets out alive anyway.
  • PipPipPip
  • Brigade Name:kimmle

Posted 22 June 2008 - 07:05 AM

that doesnt sound like they're saving energy at all
aut viam inveniam aut faciam- I'll either find a way or make one

#28 User is offline   PhunkyMunky 

• Git'er Done!!
  • PipPip
  • Brigade Name:Gotta change this

Posted 22 June 2008 - 08:52 AM

View PostLegato, on Jun 22 2008, 06:43 AM, said:

I've been trying to vote my reps and senators out for years, Kerry and Kennedy, as well as others. I can't though. I am one of maybe 1,000 like minded people in my state. I always vote. But i almost always lose. :D It's really depressing when you go to the ballots to vote on a candidate, and we will say 10 elections are going on, and 6-8 of them are running unapposed. Write in time for me then. I've voted more for friends and neighbors on more elections than i can count. And as much as i'd like to run for office and help the country, i have waaaaay too many skeletons in the closet that would quickly end any kind of public run for election.

Touché'! I've concidered running myself a time or two. But normally if I don't like the canidates, I'll vote for Elmer Fud, Daffy Duck, and several others I have up my sleeve. I've even voted for Mr. Sprocket, but now the state of Washington has made it so that I have no choise but to not only pick a party (I'll vote any damn way I want. I'm neither Republican nor Democrat. I feel sorta independant) but once you pick that party, you have to vote only on that party. Kind of a bunch of horse crap if you ask me. Once they started that junk, I quit voting. Maybe I'll move to a state that doesn't force parties down your throat.

#29 User is offline   Fenrisulfr 

• They call me "Opsy."
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Brigade Name:BlackOpsGhost

Posted 22 June 2008 - 08:54 AM

I think that Mercury problem would come from putting that poisonous metal in areas, in fairly noumerous amounts, that we don't see Mercury in. I'd rather not be forced to use a bulb that contains Mercury. Especially with something that's as easily broken as a light bulb.

Also, I'm in agreement with the guy about having the bulbs made in America. I'm sick of putting my money into another country. We need to start becoming more self dependant again. But of course taht would mean some higher prices. But oh well, I wouldn't care. It's help in the long run.

Thank you Wal-Mart.

View PostPhunkyMunky, on Jun 22 2008, 09:52 AM, said:

...I have no choise but to not only pick a party (I'll vote any damn way I want. I'm neither Republican nor Democrat. I feel sorta independant) but once you pick that party, you have to vote only on that party. Kind of a bunch of horse crap if you ask me. Once they started that junk, I quit voting. Maybe I'll move to a state that doesn't force parties down your throat.

Whoa whoa whoa. They FORCE you to do that? What kind of horse crap is that? Take that to the courts. Either that or try and get a protest going. That COMPLETELY stamps out the idea of a democracy.
BOG, that was the most annoying thing I have ever had to endure, and I once watched a whole Teletubbies episode. - Hobo
I don't have MAJOR problems. I have minor annoyances that YOU consider major problems.
WARNING: Extreme sarcasm ahead.

#30 User is offline   Becc 

• Target
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • Brigade Name:Beccolter

Posted 22 June 2008 - 09:00 AM

sure its only 5mg of mercury each... a 2 bed 1.5 bath household has what, 15 lightbulbs (2-3 per room, 7 rooms? my house has more than 2 per room, but im being generous) in it? 5x15=75mg of mercury. times that by 2 lightbulbs per year (this is assuming they really last as long as everyone seems to think). thats 150mg per year. times 10 years until we find something better, 1500mg of mercury. times how many households across the us?

that is a LOT of mercury going into landfills. a LOT

Share this topic:

• (3 Pages)
  • +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users