• You cannot reply to this topic

Powder Coating CO2 Tanks??? Can It Be done??? Is It Safe??? Rate Topic: -----

#16 User is offline   Piller 

• Piller
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Members
  • Brigade Name:Piller

Posted 30 May 2008 - 12:00 AM

Only if it's incredibly hot outside - maybe in the car it can happen. But at the same time it's not alright for a tank to be 130 degrees. Pressurized it's part of the owners responsibility to ensure they never get that hot.
Automaggot #123 - Pump User #152 - ICE Epic Owner
"Marketing hype in paintball?! The nerve of some people. After all, we paintballers would never throw our hard earned cash into the magic box of marketing hype."

#17 User is offline   Legato 

• AKA reapermen - AKA Legaqua - Resident Brass Whore
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Retired/Inactive Moderator

Posted 30 May 2008 - 12:27 AM

You aren't supposed to leave co2 tanks out in the sun in the first place. You are asking for a blown burst disc doing that. At my field you are not allowed to leave co2 tanks out in the sun at all, they must be in a bag or in the shade.
"I think wearing camo is dishonorable. No honorable player would pretend to be a tree or bush."Posted Image My Gallery - Ninja/Pirate Alliance - Marker Animations Posted ImageSpec Ops Posted Image Pump CrewSig Rules - Gen Rules & Regs - Avatar Rules - Warn Level/Reduction - Forum FAQs - Ultimate Pump Sticky - PDT

#18 User is offline   ProX 

• My primary hobby...
  • PipPipPip

Posted 01 June 2008 - 03:39 PM

View PostPiller, on May 30 2008, 02:00 AM, said:

Only if it's incredibly hot outside - maybe in the car it can happen. But at the same time it's not alright for a tank to be 130 degrees. Pressurized it's part of the owners responsibility to ensure they never get that hot.

View PostLegato, on May 30 2008, 02:27 AM, said:

You aren't supposed to leave co2 tanks out in the sun in the first place. You are asking for a blown burst disc doing that. At my field you are not allowed to leave co2 tanks out in the sun at all, they must be in a bag or in the shade.

I both understand and agree with both of you. I'm saying that the tank alone won't be bothered by 130* temps. Perhaps I should have clarified that a little better.
I may be schizophrenic, but at least I have each other.

"Never play AGAINST your wife on her first day paintballing. Wife gets beat = no more nookie"
Mark that quote down... very important.

When I did tech support for Dell a call came in about a laptop that wasn't working right. The guy insisted that the bullet holes in had nothing to do with the boot issues... -Puzuma

#19 User is offline   sartek 

• Trained Shop Monkey
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • Brigade Name:SARTEK

Posted 09 June 2008 - 08:52 AM

You and I must not be thinking of the same thing, because I have NEVER seen an aluminum tank powder coated, from ANY company. Most steel tanks are not either. The spray paint them, or dip coat the tanks because it involves no heat.

I have seen some custom anno done on tanks, but those require hydrotesting because of the acid bath.

EDIT: The temperature of 130°F is cited in the Title 49 CFR as the upper temperature limit to be used for calculating when a cylinder will become liquid full, and in the definition of a compressed gas. This temperature has been determined to be the maximum temperature normally encountered during the transportation and storage of compressed gases.

Luxfer published a notice in 1997 with regards to refinishing 3AL aluminum tanks stating that the tanks should not be exposed to heat curing temperatures above 250°F. Luxfer themselves use a polyurethane enamel made by DuPont, and recommends either using polyurethane, or acrylic enamel. Be forewarned, however, that MANY hydrotesters will (or at least SHOULD) question the refinishing of older tanks to like new condition. Many people used to refinish scuba tanks to hide tank damage.

This post has been edited by sartek: 09 June 2008 - 09:03 AM

"I tinker, therefore I am" - Doc Nickel
DOT HazMat Geek, Airsmith, Tinkerer

#20 User is offline   ProX 

• My primary hobby...
  • PipPipPip

Posted 11 June 2008 - 07:04 PM

View Postsartek, on Jun 9 2008, 10:52 AM, said:

You and I must not be thinking of the same thing, because I have NEVER seen an aluminum tank powder coated, from ANY company. Most steel tanks are not either. The spray paint them, or dip coat the tanks because it involves no heat.

I have seen some custom anno done on tanks, but those require hydrotesting because of the acid bath.

EDIT: The temperature of 130°F is cited in the Title 49 CFR as the upper temperature limit to be used for calculating when a cylinder will become liquid full, and in the definition of a compressed gas. This temperature has been determined to be the maximum temperature normally encountered during the transportation and storage of compressed gases.

Luxfer published a notice in 1997 with regards to refinishing 3AL aluminum tanks stating that the tanks should not be exposed to heat curing temperatures above 250°F. Luxfer themselves use a polyurethane enamel made by DuPont, and recommends either using polyurethane, or acrylic enamel. Be forewarned, however, that MANY hydrotesters will (or at least SHOULD) question the refinishing of older tanks to like new condition. Many people used to refinish scuba tanks to hide tank damage.

Understood now... Thanks for setting me straight. I guess didn't figure that they were painted - but now that you mention polyurethane, it makes sense.

This post has been edited by ProX: 11 June 2008 - 07:10 PM

I may be schizophrenic, but at least I have each other.

"Never play AGAINST your wife on her first day paintballing. Wife gets beat = no more nookie"
Mark that quote down... very important.

When I did tech support for Dell a call came in about a laptop that wasn't working right. The guy insisted that the bullet holes in had nothing to do with the boot issues... -Puzuma

Share this topic:

• (2 Pages)
  • +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users