• You cannot reply to this topic

A Note On First Guns Performance isn't everything Rate Topic: ***** 2 Votes

#1 User is offline   Marauder_Pilot 

• Thrilling Heroics
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Members
  • Brigade Name:Marauder_Pilot

Posted 20 April 2008 - 01:05 PM

I see a lot of posts, both here and in the VS subforum, about what marker is better given a few choices. However, performance shouldn't be the primary factor in buying your first gun. Or second or third or whatever, but this is far more prevalent to first-time buyers.

Keep this in mind: 90% of us will never play this sport in a competitive capacity beyond small local tournies. 9.9% of us will compete in a semi-competitive capacity-maybe your team picks up a few sponsors, goes out of state/province/country/whatever for a few tournies. 0.1% of us will actually compete in a truly professional capacity. That mean, for the other 90-99.9% of us, we don't need to have the top of the line, because we're not playing against that!

Second, your performance has a LOT more due to individual skill then your gear. I'd consider myself a slightly above-average player: I've been playing a while, but not in a hugely competitive manner. (The odd local tourny, but D-Day 2008 will be the first time I've ever gone any real distance for a game, and it's not competitive). Using my old Tippmanns, and even the Brass Eagle I started with, I've wiped the floor with people showing up with the latest and greatest gear, be it a kid with a shiny new DM and Dye clothes or a shiny new milsim Tippmann and Marauders. Using my 'Borg or any of my assorted Palmers guns, I've gotten wiped by some random kid with a beaten old Spyder or Tippmann. All the gear in the world can't make up for you being a crappy shot or not knowing how to use cover or whatnot. Gear helps, but a bad player is going to be a bad player no matter what he uses.

Third, paintball is, for everybody, for one reason: fun. I don't play because I feel obligated, I don't play because someone plays me, I play because I love the game. And you're going to have a lot more fun if you're playing with a gun you enjoy using. Don't go and post 'What's better, (X) or (Y)?', and buy the one more people vote for. Go out to your local field or proshop, try out X and Y and pick whatever one you enjoy playing with more. Yes, enjoyment is directly related to performance for the most part. Does that mean a better gun is always more fun to use? No. I've got my '06 Cyborg, which is generally regarded as one of the best high-end markers ever built. And yet I still love picking up a milsim gun and playing with it sometimes. Or grabbing one of my Palmers guns. I dropped $500 on what is functionally a $150 gun because I loved the look and feel of the gun (Now, granted, it's a $150 gun with $500 of custom work done on it, but that's beside the point.)

My point is, don't buy guns because some random people on a forum tells you to. I mean, chances are, I'll never meet more then a handful of you, and the handful I do meet I'll probably just run into at a scenario game. We're an incredibly diverse group, and what I like playing with isn't necessarily what you'll like. I can't count how many posts I've seen in the B/S/T forums saying 'I bought this gun, and it's really nice, but it's just not my style', causes by people buying based solely on internet recommendations.

Screw the opinions! Well, not completely. Consider them, but make your choice based on a gun you like playing with. If you would rather play with a milsimmed A-5 then a spacegun, then go nuts! Who cares if the spacegun is a functionally superior marker, it's just a game. Games are meant to be fun, and it's a lot more fun to play with something you use because you like the feel rather then you use just because it's supposed to be high-performance.

#2 User is offline   Shadow Sparda 

• Trust me. I have no idea what I'm doing.
  • PipPipPip
  • Brigade Name:Shadow Sparda

Posted 20 April 2008 - 01:13 PM

Hear hear! Good post Marauder. :P It's good information coming from a respected member. Hopefully it wont fall on deaf ears. If anything, I vote for sticky. :)
My Feedback

"So screw that. I ain't dying" - Tree Fitty
You're right bub. You've got a whole community who will never let that happen. In your memory. In your honor.

#3 User is offline   mr.m21 

• Forum Member
  • PipPip
  • Brigade Name:mr.m21

Posted 20 April 2008 - 01:23 PM

View PostShadow Sparda, on Apr 20 2008, 04:13 PM, said:

Hear hear! Good post Marauder. :P It's good information coming from a respected member. Hopefully it wont fall on deaf ears. If anything, I vote for sticky. :)

i seconded that notion!
"Tippmanns are the AK-47s of paintball, Do what ever you want to them they WILL WORK!
I'm the belt feed question machine!!

#4 User is offline   kook 

• leet as the street
  • PipPipPip

Posted 20 April 2008 - 01:27 PM

Good write up. No one should feel obligated to get a new gun because its the shiniest thing on the market. I consider my self to be a fairly good player with my PMR yet a friend I play with a guy who completely owned and bunkered a guy with a dm7 with his 98 in a 1v1.

Just goes to show its the player not the gun.

This post has been edited by kook: 26 April 2008 - 04:12 PM

My SpecOps Feedback

Put This In Your Sig if You Work Long And Hard For Your Paintball Money
I support Mike and TechPb. Put this in your sig if you do too.

#5 User is offline   squeekyclean 

• Forum Newbie
  • Pip
  • Brigade Name:soap mctavish

Posted 20 April 2008 - 04:40 PM

Nice post, definitely will help me out :laugh:
behold my super awesome name (I couldn't think of anything else... really!!)

"Lets use the Property of Equality. a=b, b=c, so a=c
Ion=SP
SP=Sucks
so
Ion=Sucks
Its all in the math."-Jersey Paint

#6 User is offline   Ekima 

• :Grin: I like it when you run!
  • PipPipPip
  • Brigade Name:EKIMA

Posted 20 April 2008 - 04:44 PM

I think that many poeple are competitive and just want to brag about there new stuff to freinds. but then thats the way it is with cars and everything else :laugh: atlest the paintball market is earning money through it.

I admit that i wish i spent less and played more but.....

Ekima

This post has been edited by Ekima: 20 April 2008 - 04:45 PM

#7 User is offline   Hells Punisher 

• Crazy Puppy
  • PipPip
  • Brigade Name:/Punisher\

Posted 20 April 2008 - 06:51 PM

Sticky? Good post ill think of this next time i buy a gun :dodgy:
If it's stupid but works, it isn't stupid.
StealingYerMail - It probably is. But a small amount of OCD + bass player = better bass player
Sniper #38

#8 User is offline   AaronC 

• PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 21 April 2008 - 06:35 PM

I just buy expensive stuff because I have low self-esteem. :P

#9 Guest_TippySnipa_*

• Group: Guests

Posted 22 April 2008 - 05:42 PM

View PostAaronC, on Apr 21 2008, 06:35 PM, said:

I just buy expensive stuff because I have low self-esteem. :laugh:

Me too :mellow:

jk/lol

I vote STICKIE

#10 User is offline   LoopyDood 

• Evacuate the Earth
  • PipPipPip

Posted 22 April 2008 - 06:28 PM

As do I. Great post, MP!

#11 User is offline   MrCow 

• Teh NiNjA
  • PipPipPip
  • Brigade Name:MULGARATH

Posted 22 April 2008 - 06:44 PM

STICKY!!!

#12 User is offline   125blackfire 

• Stock Class
  • PipPipPip
  • Brigade Name:125blackfire

Posted 26 April 2008 - 03:40 PM

i think someone should find a marker they like and stick with. dont buy a $1200 marker, buy a good marker that you like try and upgrade it too keep up with people at tourtys but dont spend all your money upgrading if you never play! i say get out there and play! dont murder yourself with a crappy marker in a very high end torment. set extra money on the side too spend in upgrades and go out and have FUN!
The black of the shadows will hide the awesome fire power of 1BPS about hit you!
http://www.cbf.org/site/PageServer?pagename=homev3

#13 Guest_Cesar_*

• Group: Guests

Posted 26 April 2008 - 04:14 PM

View Post125blackfire, on Apr 26 2008, 06:40 PM, said:

i think someone should find a marker they like and stick with. dont buy a $1200 marker, buy a good marker that you like try and upgrade it too keep up with people at tourtys but dont spend all your money upgrading if you never play! i say get out there and play! dont murder yourself with a crappy marker in a very high end torment. set extra money on the side too spend in upgrades and go out and have FUN!

ide rather spend the money on a good $1200 marker than on a crappy marker and put $1200 into it.

#14 User is offline   125blackfire 

• Stock Class
  • PipPipPip
  • Brigade Name:125blackfire

Posted 26 April 2008 - 07:13 PM

View PostCesar, on Apr 26 2008, 07:14 PM, said:

View Post125blackfire, on Apr 26 2008, 06:40 PM, said:

ide rather spend the money on a good $1200 marker than on a crappy marker and put $1200 into it.

not $1200 in upgrades more like mabey $100-$200 max in upgrades.
The black of the shadows will hide the awesome fire power of 1BPS about hit you!
http://www.cbf.org/site/PageServer?pagename=homev3

#15 User is offline   xexos 

• Forum Newbie
  • Pip
  • Brigade Name:xexos

Posted 29 April 2008 - 07:52 PM

I am sick of little kids who play once then get their mommies to buy them some fancy gun people told them was good. Because we all know you need a Dye or a Planet Eclipse to keep up with all the Tippmanns when you play woodsball...

I think thats why I really enjoyed stock class when I have played it, everyone has the same gun, it's all individual skill.

Share this topic:

• (4 Pages)
  • +
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users