Special Ops Paintball: JT WGP to auction off their inventory - Special Ops Paintball

• (2 Pages)
  • +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

JT WGP to auction off their inventory Is it true? Rate Topic: -----

#16 User is offline   Jackson 

• Resident Tiberius Expert
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Members
  • Brigade Name:PvtDBJackson

Posted 08 April 2008 - 06:28 AM

View PostMarauder_Pilot, on Apr 8 2008, 09:16 AM, said:

They never even tried to pull a Smart Parts on them after they patented the autococking design

Actually....

If I remember correctly, they did try sending a cease and desist letter. Or was that to Action Markers? Either way, I know Glenn has responded in the past to some C&D notice with a summarized "TINKLE off. I made the autococking design first, have the evidence to back it up, and you know it."

#17 User is offline   Marauder_Pilot 

• Thrilling Heroics
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Brigade Name:Marauder_Pilot

Posted 08 April 2008 - 06:32 AM

That was Action over the Illusion. However, they called Glen and Glen helped respond. However, Action still shut down over the whole deal (Although the internal issues contributed).

#18 User is offline   Steed 

• PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 08 April 2008 - 06:33 AM

No they sent a letter to everyone, K2 pulled a SP without any actual legal ground, with out the 3rd party support, the AutoCocker line folded, KAPP, AKA, Action Markers, Pro Paintball/FreeFlow and others that support the platform have all since folded.

#19 User is offline   Marauder_Pilot 

• Thrilling Heroics
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 08 April 2008 - 06:35 AM

That was later on, in 2004 though. And it was only to people producing Fockers at the time, which Palmers doesn't (Blazers and Typhoons aren't Fockers). However, THAT is what killed the Autococker.

EDIT: There's a few companies that still produce Autococker-esque markers despite this. Palmers, obviously, as well as CCM have continued forever and never been bugged. Dunno why CCM gets away with it, though.

This post has been edited by Marauder_Pilot: 08 April 2008 - 06:37 AM

#20 User is offline   Jackson 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 08 April 2008 - 06:45 AM

And so you think trying to shut down everyone but the guy you stole the design from is somehow more morally justified than Smart Parts' legal shenanigans? Just curious. Is so much of a stretch to conceive that they might have tried to go after PPS as well if they could have?

#21 User is offline   Marauder_Pilot 

• Thrilling Heroics
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 08 April 2008 - 06:49 AM

Oh, I'm not saying that they're any better-well, OK, maybe a little better, for two reasons. One, they didn't touch Palmers, and two, the year they pulled a Smart Parts on everybody (2004) was the year the 'Cocker died-killing the Focker is what killed the entire market and turned the 'Cocker into a nostalgia piece for 90% of the players.

So, I don't consider them in the same category for that little piece of poetic justice.

And I'm sure they would have gone after PPS if they could. But if they could, that would have meant that there was no theft involved, and therefore no issue. And, again, Glen Palmer has stated that he would have never produced the Typhoon en-masse anyways, so Orr hopped on the market because he could. Patenting it after the fact was dirty, but still.

#22 User is offline   Jackson 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 08 April 2008 - 07:02 AM

So the ends justify the means then? The fact that they ended up shooting themselves in the foot justifies that they tried to shoot everyone else (except Palmers)? I couldn't care less what the outcome was, but the simple fact that they pulled this kind of crap puts them in the same category as SP. I agree it's absolutely hilarious when someone's greed ends up running them into the ground.

#23 User is offline   Marauder_Pilot 

• Thrilling Heroics
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 08 April 2008 - 07:12 AM

No, they're definitely in the same backstabbing crap-group as Smart Parts and Kee. I'm just saying that they got what they deserved by killing the Focker.

Granted, they would have gotten the same thing in a few years since the 'Cocker was already on the way out.

#24 User is offline   slinkyaroo 

• Gravity takes over where brains leave off.
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Administrators

Posted 08 April 2008 - 08:10 AM

View PostSteed, on Apr 8 2008, 09:33 AM, said:

No they sent a letter to everyone, K2 pulled a SP without any actual legal ground, with out the 3rd party support, the AutoCocker line folded, KAPP, AKA, Action Markers, Pro Paintball/FreeFlow and others that support the platform have all since folded.

Folded ? It has nothing to do with the body style being considered outdated to many? Or that they couldn't get $300 for a mech because that was what it had to sell for to be worthy of producing.

Many companies dropped the cocker line because they moved on with things that were to be the next generation of markers. ie - Dye, Planet Eclipse, Odessey and yes .... even WGP now.

Edit - so now WGP killed AKA -- last thread I read it was SP that killed them. Man some people. :) Anybody think that AKA killed themselves because these patents were out before AKA even made a marker.

This post has been edited by slinkyaroo: 08 April 2008 - 08:14 AM

#25 User is offline   Legato 

• AKA reapermen - AKA Legaqua - Resident Brass Whore
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Retired/Inactive Moderator

Posted 08 April 2008 - 11:22 PM

View Postslinkyaroo, on Apr 8 2008, 11:10 AM, said:

Edit - so now WGP killed AKA -- last thread I read it was SP that killed them. Man some people. :laugh: Anybody think that AKA killed themselves because these patents were out before AKA even made a marker.

No AKA was done in by SP. WGP could have taken action against AKA due to the Merlin. That's why when AKA stopped making Excals and Vikings, they stopped making Merlins too. They couldn't pay SP if they were forced too. And there was no way they could pay WGP (even though the merlin was superior to the wgp cocker and didn't use normal threadings that the wgp did) either, so they stopped before they got the C & D letter from K2. Alan from AKA has said he will never make markers again. :)
"I think wearing camo is dishonorable. No honorable player would pretend to be a tree or bush."Posted Image My Gallery - Ninja/Pirate Alliance - Marker Animations Posted ImageSpec Ops Posted Image Pump CrewSig Rules - Gen Rules & Regs - Avatar Rules - Warn Level/Reduction - Forum FAQs - Ultimate Pump Sticky - PDT

Share this topic:

• (2 Pages)
  • +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users