Number of downloads: 36 low_pressure_mr1_001.jpg (203.76K)
Number of downloads: 28
Number of downloads: 23 low_pressure_mr1_006.jpg (162.36K)
Number of downloads: 19
I was wrong on the last post. It would run at 300psi, but once you de-gassed it and went to air it back up, it would leak severely past the valve. The reason was that the main spring was too strong and would unseat the valve. Some tinkering would get it to run, but really I decided not to bother. I bought the Rap 4 spring kit and ended up using the medium (Silver) drive and the weak (Black) valve springs. It will shoot 280fps at 350psi. Still not too bad.
Lots of info was learned from Otter's
Number of downloads: 20
Number of downloads: 15
Polished Bolt (doesn't really look it)
Number of downloads: 19
End of the bolt is chamfered make it seal better (against paint) and more gentle on the paint
Number of downloads: 18
Venturi is removed. To do this simply remove the o-rings and heat with a propane torch (or gas stove) until the thread locker is loose and stick some long skinny needle nose pliers in there and unscrew it.
All polishing was done at work on the lathe, but can easily be replicated with a dremel, a drill press, or even a hand drill. For more info, send me a message. I used 1000 grit and wet sanded, then 2000 grit (wet), then finished it with a white Scotch Brite pad.
I started out by replacing the stock valve assembly with a 32 Degrees Magnaflow valve. I must say that if I were to do it over, I would have used the New DeSignz HP valve. The Magnaport valve came to me with machine filings on it (not a big deal) and what really struck me as odd was the cup seal - It was brass, with a delrin insert that was held in place by the pin. The brass piece was the same dimensions as a stock Spyder cup seal... I elected to go ahead with the brass/delrin seal assembly. Upon gassing it up, it leaked like no tomorrow! Nothing I did stopped it. Hmmm. So I used the Magnaflow pin and a stock Spyder cup seal. Gassed it up and no problems at all. For 13.00 plus shipping it's cheap alternative to the New DeSignz valve.
Number of downloads: 17
Pictured is the brass/delrin cup seal.
Poor Man's LPC
I really wanted to keep the fake mag, because it completed the "look" of the MR1 and offered some forehand protection. What I was able to do was fit together some pipe and fittings inside the mag. I used an 1/8" close nipple, 1/8"-1/4" adapter, a 3" piece of 1/4" pipe, another 1/8"-1/4" adapter, and finally an 1/8" street elbow. I figure that with all the fittings and pipe I will have about 6.5-7 cc of added volume. NOTE: I remember Evil Fingers converting his to HPA/ quick adapt and swearing that his marker body was threaded 1/4" pipe. So I'm guessing there is some variance to them. If yours is threaded 1/4", then you will need about a 4" piece of pipe instead. This is just an estimate - maybe Fingers can chime in an provide a link to his post.
Number of downloads: 29 0302082120a.jpg (36.56K)
Number of downloads: 19
Important - This adapters have flat sides on them. To get them to fit in the fake mag, they both need to be rotated so that the flats parallel the sides of the mag. It is tight. The mag then just slips right over it and screws to the body of the marker. After the mag is screwed in place, put the street elbow on. The mag will not slip past it otherwise.
Number of downloads: 12 You can see that the combo is almost perfect in length.
Regulator and Line
Since I didn't have a stock, or want to run a remote, I used a Palmers female reg, their ring mount and a 6" braided line. If I could do it again, I would have used a 5.5" line, but I was in a hurry and this is what I found first. The reg was bought used off of e-bay, and I bought the low pressure range gauge and ring mount from Palmer. I doubted the strength of the ring mount at first, but certainly didn't like that the block mount used set screws to secure the reg in the mount. The lady on the other end said in however many years, there has never been a failure of either mount. I took her word for it and made the purchase. She was right, the ring mount was plenty sturdy, and I don't foresee any problems. Besides the 5 1/2"-6" hose and the reg, all I needed was another 1/8" street elbow. Make the hose connections and set the reg in the mount. Make sure to use thread locker on all screws!
Number of downloads: 15 low_pressure_mr1_003.jpg (195.86K)
Number of downloads: 11
The only other thing that I did was to add anti siphon tubes to my PMI 20oz tanks. I know it's not necessary, but the cost to me was quite low so I did it. That will be another write up on another day.
My main goal was to reduce or eliminate "shoot down". This was definitely accomplished. I can shoot as fast as I can manage until I'm out of paint and never see the effects of shoot down.
The marker is little more quiet then when it was high pressure, but nothing to write home about.
The velocities are +/- 5-7fps so I'm not complaining.
All in all if you don't have HPA available like me, and you like to tinker - then for about 120.00 go for it. Except for the anti-siphon tubes I didn't need any special tools. In fact all but the polishing and tightening of pipe fittings was done inside.
If you already have a Palmer's reg, then the cost would only be around 40.00.
Please feel free to give constructive criticism and ask questions.
This post has been edited by ProX: 04 April 2008 - 11:31 AM