• You cannot reply to this topic

Automag Good first gun? Rate Topic: -----

#16 User is offline   Z3R0 

• Spontaneous Hate Machine
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Members
  • Brigade Name:Z3R0 (Sledgehammer)

Posted 09 March 2008 - 06:35 PM

If you can spend $300 max on the marker, you're going to need less fancy parts! :P Look for something simple - an Intelliframe, ULE rail and body, Xvalve with Level 10 and ULT, and a gas-through bike grip could probably be found used for just a little over that if you look hard enough. If you get a Classic Valve instead you'll save a bunch of money too.

-Z3R0
Posted Image
Lapco Grey Ghost 2008, Classic Automag, PM8, 06 Cyborg

#17 User is offline   BlueDragonX 

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Brigade Name:BlueDragonX

Posted 09 March 2008 - 08:00 PM

$300 will be borderline for a ULE X-Valved Mag, but it can get you a very nice Classic-valved Mag. Keep an eagle eye out on the B/S/T sections of Automags.org and mcarterbrown.com and you might find some deals that surprise you.

Ghost Recon - Chord Mag - E-Mag - Stiffi vs. C-Series
"Smart Parts, Debunking Sir Isaac Newton one paintball at a time." -Arstron (on AO)

#18 User is offline   Goldenhand 

• SpecOps GFXT #4
  • PipPipPip
  • Brigade Name:Goldenhand

Posted 09 March 2008 - 08:34 PM

Ok, I got another question.
What's the difference between "automags, minimags, Emags, pnuemags" and every other kind of mag there is?

Fox urine nothing! I would rent an elephant from the local circus and give it a massive dose of ex-lax. I would then proceed to "cork it" with an attached string so when the kids show up KABLOOEE!!!!!! See if their parents can sue an elephant for defacating! -ZZaque

#19 User is offline   aqua_scummm 

• one half of the wonder that is legaqua
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Brigade Name:aqua_scummm

Posted 09 March 2008 - 09:06 PM

View PostGoldenhand, on Mar 9 2008, 08:34 PM, said:

What's the difference between "automags, minimags, Emags, pnuemags" and every other kind of mag there is?

Automag- general category. Also refers to the original, closest would be the pro-classic these days

Stainless steel body, twist lock barrels (my favorite, because unlike cocker threads it's a quarter turn and pull to remove, but hard to find. Cocker barrel adapters are available). Stainless steel valve, with built in regulator, level 7 bolt.

Minimag: a body that is actually longer and heavier than a regular mag. Also stainless steel, also twist lock.

Emag: A mag that has an electronic sear tripping solenoid. Can be used in electronic mode, mech mode, or a combo mode (soft trigger pull of an electro, but the RT feel of a RT mech mag)

Pneumag: A mag with a pneuframe. A trigger hits a pneumatic switch which causes an actuator to hit the sear. All the walkability of the electronic guns, none of the batteries.

Micromag: A private label mag body made by PTP. Aluminum, came in powerfeed and centerfeed, some were fixed barrel, most were cocker threaded

ULE mag: A body made by AGD for mags. Cocker threaded barrels, angel feenecks.

tac one: a nice mag body, comes with intelliframe and x valve

RT pro: not compatible with most mag upgrades, the original RT valve/gun.

xvalves, rt valves, etc. the original classic valves, aka minimag valves, automag valves, 68 automag valves, etc are stainless steeel, no RT feel. RT Pro was a new mag, it had a response trigger. Due to the location of the air input, it's not compatible with many mag upgrades. The next was the ReTro valve, which was RT but worked with mag upgrades. The emag and micromag valves were basically this. Last was XValve, all aluminum RT valve with built in level 10 kit.

RT valves are response triggers, higher HPA input pressure to the marker makes them more RT-able. HPA only. They can accept ULT kits to make them walkable, in which case you generally want lower input pressures (800 psi or so). ULTs don't work on classic valves.

keep in mind when pricing out markers, that while a classic mag might seem like a lot new from AGD, they're stainless steel, come with a built in regulator, which would increase the cost of a tippmann by $100, run at medium-low pressure, so they're a bit quieter, and are the lowest maintenance marker you'll ever shoot.

But god they love their gold cup

#20 User is offline   Z3R0 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 10 March 2008 - 08:35 AM

Wasn't the RT Pro the original RT Mag that was compatible with everything else? And the standard RT (or RT Classic) wasn't?

-Z3R0
Posted Image

#21 User is offline   Goldenhand 

• SpecOps GFXT #4
  • PipPipPip

Posted 10 March 2008 - 08:51 AM

I didn't realize Tac-ones are just 'mags with different bodies... Or is there a bigger difference?

Anyways, I saw some really good deals in various places, now I just gotta get the money :)

(PS: If anyone else thinking of selling their automag at a decent price, let me know, I won't have money for like atleast 2 weeks most likely but I'm interested.)

Fox urine nothing! I would rent an elephant from the local circus and give it a massive dose of ex-lax. I would then proceed to "cork it" with an attached string so when the kids show up KABLOOEE!!!!!! See if their parents can sue an elephant for defacating! -ZZaque

#22 User is offline   Z3R0 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 10 March 2008 - 08:53 AM

Different bodies, and of course the Xvalve and Level 10. The Xvalve performs much different than a Classic valve.

-Z3R0
Posted Image

#23 User is offline   aqua_scummm 

• one half of the wonder that is legaqua
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Brigade Name:aqua_scummm

Posted 10 March 2008 - 08:54 AM

There are two types of new mags, Xvalved and Classic valved. The tac one is a tactical body Xvalve marker.

You can also get a tac one classic valved marker for like $360 or something

#24 User is offline   Goldenhand 

• SpecOps GFXT #4
  • PipPipPip

Posted 10 March 2008 - 09:47 AM

Ok, now I gotta ask, though someone might have already Xplained, (lol, a pun!) what's the dif between an Xvalve and a classic valve? Performance and pricewise.

#25 User is offline   Z3R0 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 10 March 2008 - 09:52 AM

Used Classic Valve is probably $50-70, used Xvalve is more like $200+. Xvalve recharges much faster (can shoot faster, 30+BPS range whereas the Classic is stuck under 15) and has the RT-effect trigger, meaning the trigger pushes back harder than you pulled it after you fire. If you do it right, you can hold the trigger in just the right spot and simulate full auto using the RT-effect, the same way people do this on Tippmanns. The Xvalve also comes stock with the Level 10 bolt, and can accept the ULT (ultralight trigger). The ultralight trigger reduces the trigger pull quite a bit and makes it much easier to walk, but still not as easy to walk as an electro or pneumag. The ULT also decreases the RT-effect.

-Z3R0

This post has been edited by Z3R0: 10 March 2008 - 09:54 AM

Posted Image

#26 User is offline   BlueDragonX 

• PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 10 March 2008 - 10:21 AM

A note on the ULT trigger kit: It can be adjusted to tune out the RT effect or you can tune the RT effect into it. If tuned right it has a very light trigger pull without the RT effect. I used my ULT equipped Mag (the one I linked to here) at a speedball tournament this weekend and had no problems keeping up with the high-end electros on the field.

Like I said, a Mag can be configured to be just about anything you want in a paintball gun. It's just up to you to decide what you want.

It's also possible to start small and upgrade along the way. If you want a fast, X-Valved, fully ULE'd Mag but can only afford a Pro Classic, then pick up the Pro Classic for now and when you get the money for an X-Valve it's a direct swap. Then you can save up a little bit more and get a ULT for it, or have it pneumagged if you'd prefer. Eventually if you want to improve the looks, you can pick up a new body, rail, and/or frame for it. In most cases it will all be direct swaps on what you already have. A lot of people go this route.

"Smart Parts, Debunking Sir Isaac Newton one paintball at a time." -Arstron (on AO)

#27 User is offline   Goldenhand 

• SpecOps GFXT #4
  • PipPipPip

Posted 10 March 2008 - 02:28 PM

I'd like to be able to do speedball to some degree too, so I'd like a marker that's decent for that out of the box. Would I be better off getting the extra money for a Ion or and Epiphany or something?

#28 User is offline   AaronC 

• PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 10 March 2008 - 02:48 PM

Automags work just fine for speedball they are small and light and depending on the valve they are fast enough to keep up with most electros. If you are one of those guys that want to attach a bunch of gadgets to your mag like stocks and lights and toaster ovens than yeah you might want to buy an Ion for speedball.

#29 User is offline   Z3R0 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 10 March 2008 - 05:17 PM

View PostGoldenhand, on Mar 10 2008, 05:28 PM, said:

I'd like to be able to do speedball to some degree too, so I'd like a marker that's decent for that out of the box. Would I be better off getting the extra money for a Ion or and Epiphany or something?

If your idea of speedball is just shooting fast, then yes, go for an electro. But the Mag will be much more reliable than an Ion or Epiphany, easier to work on, easier in maintenance, about the same size, close to the same weight, only a little bit slower (if you have a Classic Valve). But if you have an Xvalve and ULT, it will be walkable once you get used to it, meaning about the same rate of fire as an electro on semi.

-Z3R0
Posted Image

#30 User is offline   BlueDragonX 

• PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 10 March 2008 - 07:33 PM

View PostZ3R0, on Mar 10 2008, 07:17 PM, said:

If your idea of speedball is just shooting fast, then yes, go for an electro.

Actually, I'd say go for an Automag even if you're idea of speedball is simply shooting fast. A properly set up Automag can easily keep up with anything else on the paintball field. From a practical sense, all you need is 13.3bps, which a ULT equipped Mag can easily surpass.

Share this topic:

• (6 Pages)
  • +
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users