• You cannot reply to this topic

Automag Good first gun? Rate Topic: -----

#1 User is offline   Goldenhand 

• SpecOps GFXT #4
  • PipPipPip
  • Group: Members
  • Brigade Name:Goldenhand

Posted 09 March 2008 - 11:04 AM

Ok, so from everything I've heard, automags are supposed to be really good first markers, and I was just wondering if there's anything special I should know about them.

Thanks,
Evan

(PS: Almost all the mags I've looked at were kinda ugly, (no offense) but I saw this one now and was wondering where you get such a sexy one! :P)
(PPS: All credit for this marker goes to Going_home, it's his..)

Phoenix Mag

Posted Image

Posted Image

This post has been edited by Goldenhand: 09 March 2008 - 11:04 AM

Fox urine nothing! I would rent an elephant from the local circus and give it a massive dose of ex-lax. I would then proceed to "cork it" with an attached string so when the kids show up KABLOOEE!!!!!! See if their parents can sue an elephant for defacating! -ZZaque

#2 User is offline   Z3R0 

• Spontaneous Hate Machine
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Brigade Name:Z3R0 (Sledgehammer)

Posted 09 March 2008 - 11:08 AM

That Pheonix Mag would run you several hundred dollars... most of it is custom made. I think Aqua Scumm went over this already in your last thread, but just remember, if you're using CO2 on a Mag, use an expansion chamber. If you have an RT valve in your Mag (including X-Valve), you can't use CO2 at all. That's all you really need to know. They're extremely easy to clean and maintain (only need a single allen key and you can completely disassemble all of the internals). To completely dismantle one takes a screwdriver and one or two allen keys, depending on your exact setup. And always pull the trigger fully back and release it fully forward, otherwise it may not cycle properly.

Did you think my Mag was ugly? :(

:P

-Z3R0

This post has been edited by Z3R0: 09 March 2008 - 11:11 AM

Posted Image
Lapco Grey Ghost 2008, Classic Automag, PM8, 06 Cyborg

#3 User is offline   Goldenhand 

• SpecOps GFXT #4
  • PipPipPip

Posted 09 March 2008 - 11:11 AM

Yikes, pricey! Is there a way to get a similar look cheaper?

EDIT: I know aesthetics aren't everything, but they help :P

This post has been edited by Goldenhand: 09 March 2008 - 11:11 AM

Fox urine nothing! I would rent an elephant from the local circus and give it a massive dose of ex-lax. I would then proceed to "cork it" with an attached string so when the kids show up KABLOOEE!!!!!! See if their parents can sue an elephant for defacating! -ZZaque

#4 User is offline   Mighty Mike 

• The Aggorilla is watching you!
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Brigade Name:MightyMike0

Posted 09 March 2008 - 11:14 AM

most cheaper mags are all going to have about the same look, but you can get them annoed, buy new parts and rebuild it from there, or hunt around ALOT to find one that you think is aesthetically pleasing but also cheaper. i think a mag is a great idea for a beginner or anyone else!

#5 User is offline   Z3R0 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 09 March 2008 - 11:16 AM

The body and rail are $360 I believe (in that ballpark), and the frame is $160. That's just the shell of it, no working internals, which on that one to get it similar would be about $350 for the valve and another $200 or so for the feedneck, rail, ASA, and reg. That Freak is about $90 as well. Those prices might not be exact but I think they're mostly accurate.

There are no really similar looking bodies and rails, and other Mag frames are vaguely similar. Those parts are basically what gives the Mag its appearance.

-Z3R0

This post has been edited by Z3R0: 09 March 2008 - 11:17 AM

Posted Image

#6 User is offline   Goldenhand 

• SpecOps GFXT #4
  • PipPipPip

Posted 09 March 2008 - 11:24 AM

interesting...
I was reading about the lvl 10 upgrade or whatever it is, does the 'mag chop much when you don't have one of those on it?

#7 User is offline   Z3R0 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 09 March 2008 - 11:29 AM

Mine never has, but I only have a single trigger and I don't try to shoot very fast anyway. I imagine if you had a double trigger and tried to start shooting as fast as you could it might chop, but that depends on the speed of your loader. If you have a true forcefeed loader rated for 30+BPS and you're shooting 10BPS on your Mag with a Level 7 bolt, you should still be fine. If you try to shoot 10BPS with a loader rated for 11-12BPS, you might get some chops. If you get an Xvalve and try to RT-effect the gun into full auto, you'll probably want a Level 10. A properly tuned Level 10 is a much more effective anti-chop system than anything else around.

-Z3R0
Posted Image

#8 User is offline   Mighty Mike 

• The Aggorilla is watching you!
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Brigade Name:MightyMike0

Posted 09 March 2008 - 11:44 AM

ive only ever chopped with my lvl7 when i was using a gravity feed so i think you should be okay

#9 User is offline   Z3R0 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 09 March 2008 - 11:45 AM

I never chopped with my Level 7 even with a gravity feed. Now I have a Torque so there's no need for the Level 10 in my case - single trigger on a Classic valve means I can't really get past maybe 5BPS reliably without shortstroking, and the Torque can feed 6-7 times faster than that :P.

-Z3R0
Posted Image

#10 User is offline   Goldenhand 

• SpecOps GFXT #4
  • PipPipPip

Posted 09 March 2008 - 12:09 PM

What exactly is the lvl 10? like how does it work? (My inner geek is wondering :ghillie:)

So, are there any problems I should look out for buying a used mag? Alot of them on ebay say stuff like "Not used in 2 years" and things... is that a bad sign?

#11 User is offline   Z3R0 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 09 March 2008 - 12:11 PM

It can be... but be aware that many people are still using Mags that are older than I am (15) and have only replaced o-rings and seals. It depends on what was done to it when it was still in use, especially in maintenance.

I'll dig up a Level 10 animation for you in a second.

-Z3R0

EDIT: Regular Automag bolt (most common example would be Level 7):
Posted Image

Level 10 bolts:
Posted Image
Posted Image

I just pulled these from ZDSPB. Great resource. Anyway, notice on the Level 10's that the bolt has a small opening where air can escape before the bolt fully cycles forward - if the bolt is blocked, the air will vent out of this opening, whereas with the Level 7, the only exit is through the front of the bolt, so if the ball isn't properly loaded into the breech, the bolt simply moves forward through it due to the expanding air in the powertube. So in the case of a misfire, the Level 7 will simply power through the obstruction, while a Level 10 will stop moving forward and vent the pressure.

This post has been edited by Z3R0: 09 March 2008 - 12:14 PM

Posted Image

#12 User is offline   Goldenhand 

• SpecOps GFXT #4
  • PipPipPip

Posted 09 March 2008 - 12:25 PM

coolio...

Thanks!

#13 User is offline   Ravenlord 

• I am heavy weapons guy!
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Brigade Name:RAVENLORD

Posted 09 March 2008 - 04:05 PM

The automag that I first bought (my first one) was sitting in a Master Corporals closet for 5 years before I bought it. I believe it also had at least 3 owners before I owned it. It is at the very least 15 years old, maybe even older. The only thing that I have done to it is replace the seals, and the sear (I broke it when playing around with it) Other then that just oil and go. These things are built like tanks.

I have chopped with the Lvl 7 bolt, because I was using stupid brittle paint. (no the paint wasnt stupid because it was brittle, it was stupid brittle) and the other time was when I was using a Gravity feed. Most of my chops came from the barrel though.
Funny Signatures Involve Effort, and I am lazy.
Automaggot #74
Team Vinidication

#14 User is offline   BlueDragonX 

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Brigade Name:BlueDragonX

Posted 09 March 2008 - 04:53 PM

View PostGoldenhand, on Mar 9 2008, 01:04 PM, said:

Ok, so from everything I've heard, automags are supposed to be really good first markers, and I was just wondering if there's anything special I should know about them.

Thanks,
Evan

(PS: Almost all the mags I've looked at were kinda ugly, (no offense) but I saw this one now and was wondering where you get such a sexy one! :D)
(PPS: All credit for this marker goes to Going_home, it's his..)

What you've heard is only partly true. Yes, an Automag makes an awesome first marker. But an Automag also makes an awesome last marker. Automags may be had in many different configurations. Whatever you want in a marker, there's an Automag that will fulfill those wants. It's only a question of money and availability. If you give us a price range and a reasonable set of requirements then we can give you an Automag that will fit those requirements.

Ugly is truly in the eye of the beholder. In my mind, a well tuned Mag is one of the most beautiful pieces of equipment on the paintball field, regardless of exterior appearance. Heck, even a poorly tuned Mag will often outclass many of the other markers on the field. To my mind, an Automag is very much a no-nonsense piece of gear. It does exactly what you need it to do without any frills or fussing. It will "just work."

However, all that being said, if you're aesthetics are important to you then an Automag can be made to look like just about anything. There are some very beautiful milled bodies and rails available. In addition, many people have built Automags into rifle stocks. If milsim is your cup of tea, then the Tac-One body can likely fulfill your needs.

Going_home's Phoenix Mag is a great example of how well a Mag can look. If you want another example, bounce on over to my new thread to see pics of the Mag I just put together using a Chord body, Mini-Wave rail, and Triton frame:
http://forum.specialopspaintball.com/index...=144272&st=

Ghost Recon - Chord Mag - E-Mag - Stiffi vs. C-Series
"Smart Parts, Debunking Sir Isaac Newton one paintball at a time." -Arstron (on AO)

#15 User is offline   Goldenhand 

• SpecOps GFXT #4
  • PipPipPip

Posted 09 March 2008 - 06:29 PM

That thing is awesome, how much did that body run you?

I'd prefer not to spend over $300 on the marker, 'cause I'll still need a mask, tank, podpack, etc etc...

Share this topic:

• (6 Pages)
  • +
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users