• This topic is locked

Bullet shaped paintballs

#1 User is offline   Raving Scot 

• Forum Newbie
  • Pip
  • Group: Members
  • Brigade Name:Raving Scot

Posted 13 February 2008 - 09:34 PM

A buddy and I were discussing paintballs the other day and he said he thought an actual bullet-shaped or as close as possible would be better than the paintballs out now. Is he right?

#2 User is offline   Piller 

• Piller
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Brigade Name:Piller

Posted 13 February 2008 - 09:44 PM

Yes and no, I always thought of that idea too. In fact, there used to be a paintball company awhile back that made a gun as well as paintballs that were slightly football-ish in shape.

There are a few pros and cons. The biggest pro is that it is a more ballistic shape. In theory it should fly straighter and further with less wind resistance.

There are also a few constraints. The first is that you need some form of feed tube or magazine to feed the paint. That isn't a big deal for me, I'm playing with a 10 round stick feed a lot of the time anyways.

The other downside is getting a set of markers and paint pellets out there that actually run that way. It took the industry long enough to settle on .68 caliber paint. It would be rather difficult to get consumers to accept this new idea if they have to pay twice as much for both their marker and their paint. Because they would be specialty items in the market the cost would be considerably higher.

Then you have insurance companies. Because you are being hit with a similar mass but over a smaller area the force of impact when you are hit will be significantly higher.

It's not a bad idea, and if everyone settled on it, it may even be a solid improvement. However, it's rather unreasonable right now to make such a dramatic change. Unfortunately right now it seems to be easier and cheaper to just have accuracy by volume.
Automaggot #123 - Pump User #152 - ICE Epic Owner
"Marketing hype in paintball?! The nerve of some people. After all, we paintballers would never throw our hard earned cash into the magic box of marketing hype."

#3 User is offline   Galihad 

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Brigade Name:Galihad

Posted 13 February 2008 - 09:58 PM

please this has been done to death... it is something we all think about sometime, but please use the search button it can reveal a wealth of knowledge. Here is a couple of links about the subject of more aerodynamically shaped paintballs

http://forum.specialopspaintball.com/index...=new+paintballs

http://forum.specialopspaintball.com/index...=new+paintballs <- biggest link full of all the info you could ever want
Christian paintballers -beating the hell out of satan with tiny balls-
Sabre #117
My feedback!:click here

#4 User is offline   Florentine 

• Group: Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 14 February 2008 - 07:37 PM

View PostGalihad, on Feb 13 2008, 11:58 PM, said:

please this has been done to death... it is something we all think about sometime, but please use the search button it can reveal a wealth of knowledge. Here is a couple of links about the subject of more aerodynamically shaped paintballs

http://forum.specialopspaintball.com/index...=new+paintballs

http://forum.specialopspaintball.com/index...=new+paintballs <- biggest link full of all the info you could ever want

that second link has nothing with the shape of the paint, just the physical attributes. the first one is better.

but to add onto what piller said, having a paintball that is bullet shaped could hurt relaly badly if hit in the right area (ex. neck, forehead, head, man parts, fingers). to avoid that, i though of making it a 2 shell. like a real paintball has 2 sides to it, have the back part be made of normal shells, then have the front slightly weaker so once it hits, it breaks easier without much pain. thats my .02
Hey baby, wanna come over to myspace so i can twitter your yahoo till I google all over your facebook?
Feedback

Becc: "I'm not really a vegetarian, I eat some forms of sausage."

#5 User is offline   Evil Fingers 

• ELITE Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 14 February 2008 - 07:47 PM

Good Lord, not this Topic again!

#6 User is offline   DFRESH 

• Forum Member
  • PipPip

Posted 15 February 2008 - 03:46 PM

I agree, we have all had this thought at some time or another. It would create a lot of possibilities for the paintball industry and it could create a lot of troubles. But until someone or some company goes about testing football/bullet shaped paintballs, this will only be a good idea on paper. If you have an idea that you think will change an industry, try doing your own trials and test (in a safe manner). In the long run, the things necessary for the paint bullet to come into the mainstream, outweigh the benefits of it
The world has achieved brilliance without wisdom, power without conscience. Ours is a world of nuclear giants and ethical infants. We know more about war that we know about peace, more about killing that we know about living. -Omar Bradley

#7 User is offline   WardenWolf 

• Aspie Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Brigade Name:WardenWolf

Posted 15 February 2008 - 03:57 PM

This topic has been discussed several times before, as demonstrated by the links. The innate flaw with all these ideas is that they do not work with a bulk loader. They must be mag-fed or breech-loaded. As a result, they do not work properly with any standard marker we have today, nor would they be practical at all. History has shown that people will not buy proprietary hardware. This is why all the companies that have tried it are now out of business.

Kanye: "Yo, Chile, I'm gonna let you finish shakin', but I just got to say Haiti had one of the best earthquakes of all time!"
Save a tree: wipe your ass with a hippie!

Share this topic:

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • This topic is locked

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users