• You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Airsoft Discussion Thread Read the Rules Before Posting. Rate Topic: -----

#1 User is offline   Veritech Squad 

• Come at me bro.
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Members

Posted 09 February 2008 - 11:53 AM

We do NOT care what rules your local field has or what it allows. These are the rules you will adhere to HERE. Any arguments over these rules or complaining about the fate of the airsoft section or previous threads will result in this thread being shut down!

Rules:

1. No discussing shooting over 450 FPS. Anything over is considered promotion of unsafe play. We are aware that many fields allow "sniper rifles" to exceed this limit, with certain minimum engagement range rules, but to be considered safe, it must be acceptable to shoot someone at the same close range as non-sniper guns. Additionally, no discussion of guns capable of exceeding 500 FPS out of the box is allowed. Absolutely NO discussion of special engagement range rules that are designed to allow higher-than-normal velocity guns on the field. These rules are a farce, designed to allow a gun firing at an unsafe or more dangerous velocity on the field. To be safe, ALL guns must chronograph the same.

2. No discussion of modifying any gun to shoot at an unsafe velocity. This is defined as modifying a gun to be able to exceed 500 FPS or its designed velocity, whichever is higher. The reason the velocity limit and the gun limit are different is because we recognize that guns need to be capable of exceeding the max velocity in order to account for wear and tear. They can always be dialed down. Being dialed UP is what we worry about.

3. No posting pictures of guns with the orange safety tip removed, or discussion of doing so. It is called a "Safety" tip for a reason: it helps others distinguish your airsoft gun from a real gun. Many states have laws making it illegal to remove the tip, and Federal law requires the tip be present for sale or transport.

4. Stay on topic. If it's not airsoft-related, it belongs elsewhere.

5. Proper eye and face protection MUST be worn at all times. No promoting unsafe play by discussing playing with goggles only, improper paintball masks (those with slat vents or holes large enough for a BB to be forcibly pushed through intact), ski masks, or unapproved eye protection. Only proper airsoft masks with full hard-shelled face protection are allowed. Many paintball masks have facemask vents capable of allowing a BB through. Because of this, these are NOT considered safe for airsoft play. This is NOT open for debate! Playing without a full hard facemask is UNSAFE. Period. Do NOT mention that your local field has different rules. Either this matter is closed, or the thread will be.

6. Because usable airsoft BBs can vary in weight by more than 50%, from .20 to .36, the energy output at a given velocity can vary wildly. Using heavier BBs to lower your velocity to meet lower chronograph limits is NOT safe. It packs the same energy, does the same damage, and travels just as far as the lighter BB would at an illegal velocity. Talk of using heavier ammo to chrony down is NOT safe, and will NOT be allowed! You MUST meet velocity limits with .20 or .25 ammo. The energy a shot packs at a given velocity increases exponentially as weight increases, not linearly. It is NOT safe to use heavier shot unless you take this into account.

And of course, all SOF rules apply here.

This is the official Airsoft Discussions Thread. Things to be discussed are: loadouts, airsoft questions, what to buy, general questions, and anything else airsoft related that follows the rules.

What guns do you guys play with? Loadouts? Terrain?

I use:
Tokyo Marui AK Beta- 285 fps
Echo1/Galaxy Mp5 PDW- 315 fps
CYMA M14- 350 fps*
SRC G36E2- 346 fps
Tokyo Marui Biohazard M9 pistol.- 240 fps.*

*Denotes that they've not been chrono'd yet at the field, but is an approximate guess to what they're firing at.

I play in a woodland area, but wear 3-color-desert camo with a woodland LBV harness. The camo doesn't match, however in the late 90's, it was common to see this in the Middle East.
Posted Image Note that while he is not wearing 3-color-Desert, he is wearing a woodland harness.

So, post away. Got questions as to guns and such? I and a few others are more than happy to answer them. We'll also compile a FAQ list and interesting facts about the game.

This post has been edited by WardenWolf: 10 February 2008 - 08:31 AM

Wretched is the sound of my voice.

IN MY DROPSHIP ZIGZAGS STAY LIT

#2 User is offline   Puzuma 

• That is not dead which can eternal lie,
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Administrators
  • Brigade Name:Puzuma

Posted 09 February 2008 - 11:58 AM

This will be watched closely.
Posted Image
That is not dead which can eternal lie,And with strange aeons even death may die.

#3 User is offline   Veritech Squad 

• Come at me bro.
  • PipPipPipPip

Posted 09 February 2008 - 12:00 PM

View PostPuzuma, on Feb 9 2008, 12:58 PM, said:

This will be watched closely.

Rest assured, WardenWolf and I have talked about this and the guidelines.

#4 User is offline   StealingYerMail 

• always throwin bass
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • Brigade Name:StealingYerMail

Posted 09 February 2008 - 12:25 PM

I use a Flecktarn BDU.

I'm currently running with a 2007 ICS M4 (full stock) that shoots 356fps. I've chronoed it, and I get +/-2fps. It's a beast.
I also have a TM AUG. That chronos in at around 330fps, but it's rof is like 9rps as opposed to the M4's, which is like 15rps.
Maggot #53
MacDev 06 Cyborg, AGD Tac-One
Death before Smart Parts Feedback

#5 User is offline   Veritech Squad 

• Come at me bro.
  • PipPipPipPip

Posted 09 February 2008 - 01:28 PM

What batteries are you running? Also, where did you get your Flecktarn? I'm trying to do a Bundeswehr loadout.

#6 User is offline   Deus Ex Machina 

• Sophomore Member
  • PipPipPip

Posted 09 February 2008 - 02:01 PM

I've considered getting in to airsoft, but to do it I'd need to get people around me to actually play. So I'm looking for some help.

We currently have no restrictions on types of airsoft we can purchase in my state. I'm looking to get 10 people playing, so I've been doing research. I'd like to get a second opinion before I recommend it to everyone in the group.

1. What would be a good starting budget?
2. Inside that starting budget, what would you get?
- Durability is most important.
- High performance doesn't really matter.
- Some variety would be nice.

#7 User is offline   Veritech Squad 

• Come at me bro.
  • PipPipPipPip

Posted 09 February 2008 - 02:59 PM

View Postdeusexmachina55, on Feb 9 2008, 03:01 PM, said:

I've considered getting in to airsoft, but to do it I'd need to get people around me to actually play. So I'm looking for some help.

We currently have no restrictions on types of airsoft we can purchase in my state. I'm looking to get 10 people playing, so I've been doing research. I'd like to get a second opinion before I recommend it to everyone in the group.

1. What would be a good starting budget?
2. Inside that starting budget, what would you get?
- Durability is most important.
- High performance doesn't really matter.
- Some variety would be nice.

1- The best starting budget is a high one. However, that is not possible with everybody. Airsoft is a very expensive sport, just as much as paintball (and often more). There's batteries, bb's, BDU's, harnesses, and of course your gun. This can all add up rather quickly. If you can afford can afford a higher end, go with one from the start. If not, see #2.

2- If durability is most important, then you should be willing to spend $250 or so on a Tokyo Marui. TM makes a large variety of rifles ranging from Steyr AUGs, Mp5s, AKs, and a bunch of others. Stock, they will last longer than any other airsoft gun. They all fire at around 280 fps due to Japanese laws (where they're manufactured). TM is the gold standard of guns, and they will last forever. They're probably the best starting guns available, but their higher price isn't appealing to new players. If you can't go with a nice high-end like TM, my next suggestion would be TSD and Echo1. TSD and Echo1 do not make any guns, but they do rebrand other guns and throw a warranty on them. TSD rebrands mainly guns from Star Rainbow Corp (SRC), and Echo1 primarily rebrands guns from Jing Gong (Golden Bow). I have both an Echo1 Mp5 and TSD G36e2. The G36E2 is probably my favorite of all my guns, even more than my Tokyo Marui. However, it will not last as long as my TM and will need parts replaced long before the TM will.

3-TM's do not come stock with batteries. However, many online websites sell TM's with or without battery packs and kits. Many other high end guns do not come with batteries either, as it is expected that the user will be using a higher end battery with their gun. Echo1's come with half-decent batteries, while SRC's do not come with batteries. Do not let this limit your options though, as a good battery should always be in your planning. Intellect batteries are quite nice.

4- There's plenty of airsoft guns out there. Ranging from AKMs, AK47's, AK74's, G36's of all variants, M4/16's of all variants (including the Will Smith I Am Legend M4), M14's, M24's, M21's, G3's, FN FAL's, and SCAR's. Of course, there's plenty of others out there too.

5- Guns to stay away from: Anything basically under $115 or so, cheapo batteries, Mp7's*, and Mp5's*.

*If you're going to be doing some CQB or close quarters woodland, you'll be all right with those. However, they will fail at long range and accuracy.

If you have more questions, PM me or just post them.

This post has been edited by Veritech Squad: 09 February 2008 - 03:05 PM

#8 User is offline   Deus Ex Machina 

• Sophomore Member
  • PipPipPip

Posted 09 February 2008 - 03:18 PM

Thank you. That helps reaffirm what I was looking for.

One question: Are airsoft grenade launchers worth anything, or should they be avoided? I know they work the same as paintball grenade launchers, but I was wondering if size makes any difference.

#9 User is offline   Veritech Squad 

• Come at me bro.
  • PipPipPipPip

Posted 09 February 2008 - 03:23 PM

Some say they're worth it, others say not. It's a personal preference. I think they're cool as hell. By the way, all the paintball grenade launchers are just rebrands of the airsoft ones. There's tons of shells available though. Ones that shoot bb's, to ones that fire out sponge rockets and foam slugs. Their only downside is their limited range.

#10 User is offline   Deus Ex Machina 

• Sophomore Member
  • PipPipPip

Posted 09 February 2008 - 03:31 PM

Alright. That answers all of my questions.

Thank you.

#11 User is offline   Badmintoner 

• Peace!
  • PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 09 February 2008 - 03:34 PM

Sweet, another airsoft thread. It's really too bad no one really plays out here, though...

Maybe I should bring my airsoft stuff back to CA over spring break. Has anyone else had their bags checked every single time doing this? It makes sense, but I'm just wondering (I've actually had my bags checked with Nerf guns, too, though... :)).

#12 User is offline   kl0wn 

• PipPip

Posted 09 February 2008 - 04:42 PM

What would you suggest for a good sniper rifle or other long ranged weapon? Must be less than $400.

#13 User is offline   Octavious 

• Sophomore Member
  • PipPipPip

Posted 09 February 2008 - 05:58 PM

View PostVeritech Squad, on Feb 9 2008, 03:53 PM, said:

Rules
5. Proper eye protection MUST be warn at all times. No promoting unsafe play by discussing playing with goggles only, paintball masks, or unapproved eye protection. Only proper airsoft masks with full face protection are allowed. Many paintball masks have facemask vents capable of allowing a BB through. Because of this, they are NOT considered safe for airsoft play.

So what exactly is Proper airsoft mask protection? Im rather confused since i've seen goggles, pb masks and just goggles w/ a ski mask....under and i know none are really that safe.

So what is safe and proper mask for airsoft?

-Oct

#14 User is offline   Puzuma 

• That is not dead which can eternal lie,
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Administrators
  • Brigade Name:Puzuma

Posted 09 February 2008 - 06:33 PM

If the airsoft community hasn't come up with a standard, that has got to tell you something of the safety.

The only "airsoft specific" system I've ever seen is something like this: http://www.amazon.com/dp/B000N8NYO8?smid=A...mp;linkCode=asn
Posted Image
That is not dead which can eternal lie,And with strange aeons even death may die.

#15 User is offline   WardenWolf 

• Aspie Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Brigade Name:WardenWolf

Posted 09 February 2008 - 08:51 PM

Some of the commercial systems I've seen are modified paintball masks. These are fine. The problem is that when people pick up any paintball mask off the shelf and expect it to be safe for airsoft. That's just not the case. Paintballs are larger, and the masks often have larger vents. The Spectra, in particular, can accept a BB through any of several vents. As can a few others.

Kanye: "Yo, Chile, I'm gonna let you finish shakin', but I just got to say Haiti had one of the best earthquakes of all time!"
Save a tree: wipe your ass with a hippie!

Share this topic:

• (9 Pages)
  • +
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

2 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users