Special Ops Paintball: Bruises that won't go away? - Special Ops Paintball

• (3 Pages)
  • +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Bruises that won't go away? Should I be worried?

#1 User is offline   mapexgurl 

• aka code_red
  • PipPip
  • Group: Members
  • Brigade Name:code_red

Post icon  Posted 08 January 2008 - 08:36 AM

I have a couple bruises on my thighs (one on each leg) that won't seem to go away. Both are from a game in Mid-late November. They don't hurt; it just visibly looks like a surface bruise. They were really deep welts. Are there any slider shorts or anything like that I could get to protect my upper thighs? That seems to be where I bruise the worst.

#2 User is offline   flyboy 

• One BPS can still get you out
  • PipPipPip
  • Brigade Name:flyboy

Posted 08 January 2008 - 09:16 AM

Dye sliders work well for that.

Bad welts take time to heal. It's common for some women to bruise easier than others. My wife has a problem with it. Bruises show up and take forever to heel. She doesn't play paintball though.

Next time you have physical, you might want to mention it to your doctor and have the blood tests for it just to rule it out.
Boss Company

#3 User is offline   paintball valley 

• Nazi Mods 4TL
  • PipPip

Posted 08 January 2008 - 09:27 AM

Bruises and Blood Spots Under the Skin

Older adults often bruise easily from minor injuries, especially injuries to the forearms, hands, legs, and feet. As a person ages, the skin becomes less flexible and thinner because there is less fat under the skin. The cushioning effect of the skin decreases as the fat under the skin decreases. These changes, along with skin damage from exposure to the sun, cause blood vessels to break easily. When blood vessels break, bruising occurs.

Women bruise more easily than men, especially from minor injuries on the thighs, buttocks, and upper arms.

A tendency to bruise easily sometimes runs in families.

guessing by your screen name that you are female and this might be helpful.

I know my grandma takes medicine that depletes her B12 and causes her to bruise very easily; so she takes B12 religiously.
EDIT: according to her it also keeps the mosquitos and most blood sucking insect away.

This post has been edited by paintball valley: 08 January 2008 - 09:30 AM

If you can't hit him in 3 shots... You are probably in the way of someone who can... MOVE!!!
If Nikola Tesla had invented a paintball marker it would have been an electro-pnuematic.
"Every facet, every department of your mind needs to be programed by you, and unless you accept your rightful responsibility and begin to program your own mind; the world will program it for you." - Evil Nine: "Cake Hole" (possibly sampled from Timothy Leary)

...Fat chicks need love too, but they gotta pay. - Glen Quagmire

#4 User is offline   Warpaint 

• "Well...Shall We?"
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • Brigade Name:Warpaint537

Posted 08 January 2008 - 10:12 AM

mapexgurl, on Jan 8 2008, 10:36 AM, said:

I have a couple bruises on my thighs (one on each leg) that won't seem to go away. Both are from a game in Mid-late November. They don't hurt; it just visibly looks like a surface bruise. They were really deep welts. Are there any slider shorts or anything like that I could get to protect my upper thighs? That seems to be where I bruise the worst.

From Wiki:

A bruise, also called a contusion or ecchymosis, is an injury to biological tissue in which the capillaries are damaged, allowing blood to seep into the surrounding tissue. It is usually caused by blunt impact. Bruises often induce pain but are not normally dangerous. Sometimes bruises can be serious, leading to other more life threatening forms of hematoma, or can be associated with serious injuries, including fractures and internal bleeding. Minor bruises may be easily recognized, in people with light skin color, by their characteristic blue or purple appearance (idiomatically described as "black and blue") in the days following the injury.

If your bruises are fading, I would think you are probably OK. Sometimes bruises turn brown, yellow, or green, particularly around the edges as these fade. However, if they are not fading, appear to be getting larger or more painful, you should see a doctor immediately, and not play paintball or engage in any other sport which may cause an injury until you get a clean bill of health. Don't take any vitamins or home remedies without the advice of a physician.

If you're prone to bruising, you definitely should invest in more protection. It isn't pretty, and has the potential to be more serious than things look. I am sure others here will provide some good suggestions for protective apparel.
"All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing." ~ Edmund Burke ~ "Well...shall we?" ~ Hoot, Black Hawk Down
Posted Image

#5 User is offline   mapexgurl 

• aka code_red
  • PipPip
  • Brigade Name:code_red

Posted 08 January 2008 - 10:29 AM

Thanks guys, I'm not so worried now. And yes, I am female. I do bruise easy. But, I'm still looking for some good upper thigh protection. The more suggestions the better.

#6 User is offline   Hatchet 

• Certified Pump-Ninja
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Brigade Name:Hatchet88

Posted 08 January 2008 - 11:33 AM

Well some sort of slider shorts, like was said, would do nicely I'd say. I'm not a girl, but I get bruises from paintball that stay around a couple-three months sometimes. Maybe it's just normal, due to the kind of impact. It's a very sharp, focused impact with a paintball, so it probably causes fairly deep bruising. 300 fps = 204 mph...
The signature in this location has been removed due to FORUM RULES VIOLATIONS. Please check this link : FORUM SIGNATURE RULES AND REGS and feel free to repost your signature according to the guidelines set by this forum.

^I think I'll just leave it that way. It suits me.

#7 User is offline   Knightwolf16 

• Master Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Brigade Name:Knightwolf16

Posted 08 January 2008 - 11:42 AM

I've had some bruises last a couple of months. Since you bruise easily, thats gonna be an issue. Slider pants will help a little. What do you normally wear when you play? I've found the my fatigues tend to take a lot of the force out of the paint and reduces bruising. You may want to look into some supplements like iron and anything that can help with blood. Go see a doctor about what you can do to help with the bruising. Don't start a regimen of anything unless you know what you need. People tend to really screw themselves up on supplements.
"Cry "Havoc!" and let slip the dogs of war." William Shakespeare
Nous sommes les seigneurs de la guerre, tremblons avant nous
The Lords of War The Lords of War on MySpace The Lords of War MSN Group Page

#8 User is offline   Puzuma 

• That is not dead which can eternal lie,
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Administrators
  • Brigade Name:Puzuma

Posted 08 January 2008 - 11:49 AM

One of my sisters is very fair skinned and is very easy to bruise, I can cause a bruise just by poking her in the arm. Even those "gently" bruises seem to last 3 or 4 days longer than a normal bruise on me. I can just imagine what a paintball bruise would do to her.

As Knightwolf said, check with your Dr to see if there is anything you an do, aside from slider shorts.
Posted Image
That is not dead which can eternal lie,And with strange aeons even death may die.

#9 User is offline   sartek 

• Trained Shop Monkey
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • Brigade Name:SARTEK

Posted 12 January 2008 - 05:51 AM

witchhazel, vinegar, and arnica can help get rid of the bruises faster. it has something to do with when it soaks into the skin how it helps break up the blood clotting so they dissipate faster.
"I tinker, therefore I am" - Doc Nickel
DOT HazMat Geek, Airsmith, Tinkerer

#10 User is offline   DZ Unit-1 

• Cacophony Pony
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • Brigade Name:DZ Unit-1

Posted 12 January 2008 - 05:54 AM

mapexgurl, on Jan 8 2008, 09:36 AM, said:

it practically always goes away, it just, takes awhile... a long while
i had a few before, but just to be certain, apply aloe E medication around the welt, bruised, or scar'd area, i find it helps very effectively ^.^

i like to refresh up with it after every game
Posted Image
"and DZ, I love that pic so much. If you were a girl, and not just a dude who looked like a girl, I would kiss you." mrwaterbuffalo, 1:17 AM "DZ, what are you?" -SnV- "He are legend." -Veritech Squad-

#11 User is offline   Knightwolf16 

• Master Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 12 January 2008 - 11:40 PM

As strange as this sounds, have you ever heard of the ice cube and comb trick to get rid of a hickey? Well, I've done this. PLace the ice cube on the hickey for a while and then use a fine tooth comb to "comb" out the bruise. It worked for the hickeys, maybe it will work for paintball bruises. If not, nothing ventured nothing gained.

#12 User is offline   mtaylor 

• Lacking Creativity
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Brigade Name:mtaylor

Posted 13 January 2008 - 12:44 PM

there is this herbal stuff, you can get it in Chinese or Japanese markets, i can't quite remember (I'm leaning towards Chinese). I think it's called Jao. You rub it on, it stinks for half an hour or so, and it clears up bruises and sore spots quickly.

<Insert Sig Here>

#13 User is offline   Knightwolf16 

• Master Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 13 January 2008 - 03:22 PM

Tiger Balm or is that for sore muscles?

This post has been edited by Knightwolf16: 13 January 2008 - 03:24 PM

#14 User is offline   lonegunm4n 

• Contract Killer
  • PipPipPip
  • Brigade Name:lonegunm4n

Posted 14 January 2008 - 10:30 AM

I want to say Tiger Balm is for muscles.....
well, it's a futuristic modern world
but things aren't what they seem
someday you'd better wake up
from this stupid fantasy
-Bloodstains by Agent Orange

#15 User is offline   Puzuma 

• That is not dead which can eternal lie,
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Administrators
  • Brigade Name:Puzuma

Posted 14 January 2008 - 10:48 AM

Yeah, Tiger Balm is for muscle pain I've never heard of it being used for bruising.

There are a million and one home remedies out there. Supposedly rubbing Vicks Vap-o-rub works. Take vitamin C and E or Vitamin K. Use a withchazel compress on it. Use cocoa butter. Vitamin E cream. Arnica cream......
Posted Image
That is not dead which can eternal lie,And with strange aeons even death may die.

Share this topic:

• (3 Pages)
  • +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users