Special Ops Paintball: Considering an Ion... - Special Ops Paintball

• (4 Pages)
  • +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Considering an Ion... I need well-weatherd advice from y'all...

#31 User is offline   Kingman Tech 

• Kingman Tech
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Members

Posted 21 November 2007 - 10:08 PM

You guys do not need to continue an argument into more than 1 thread.

Ion is NOT a bad marker. If you hate the Ion so much, why post? Because that'd be trolling if all you do is flame the Ion and have nothign constructive to say, then why bother posting?

Anyway...For an Ion, I'd only get a new barrel and a feedneck. Maybe grips, but everything else is fine.

-KT
Pump user #121
Spyder user #97

Feedback +1/-0

#32 User is offline   mongoman 

• mongoman
  • PipPipPip
  • Brigade Name:104914

Posted 21 November 2007 - 10:10 PM

just enjoying some brand conversation no problems

#33 User is offline   Prodigy 

• Public Enemy #1
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Brigade Name:DavidP1013

Posted 21 November 2007 - 10:11 PM

We're not carrying the convo over, it just happens to be a similar convo.

I'm not flaming the Ion, I am saying that it cannot compare with a marker similar to a DM. The feedneck, the ASA, the trigger, the reg, the barrel, the plastic body, the lack of an LPR ect all contribute to the Ion being inferior. It can be made into a decent marker, but in the end, it will still just be an Ion with a ton of money dumped into it. And once you've dumped all that money in there, you could have bought a much nicer marker.

just enjoying some brand conversation no problems

No joke. Two intelligent people can disagree and be civil about it. People will not always see eye to eye on subject, and so long as it stays on subject and does not resort to baseless flames or personal attacks, friendly disagreements/debates could even be encouraged.

This post has been edited by Prodigy: 21 November 2007 - 10:14 PM

Team Krisis
You gas up the marker, put on the gloves, strap on the mask, and walk onto the field.. it doesn't matter that you failed a test, that your girlfriend broke up with you last night, or that you got a ticket on the way there...your world is right for the next couple hours, this is your heaven on earth... live it... love it..

How the hell could you stop me? Why in the world would you try? I go hard forever that's just how I'm designed, that's just how I was built.

#34 User is offline   mongoman 

• mongoman
  • PipPipPip
  • Brigade Name:104914

Posted 21 November 2007 - 10:18 PM

No joke. Two intelligent people can disagree and be civil about it. People will not always see eye to eye on subject, and so long as it stays on subject and does not resort to baseless flames or personal attacks, friendly disagreements/debates could even be encouraged.
[/quote]

ditto

#35 User is offline   DZ Unit-1 

• Cacophony Pony
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • Brigade Name:DZ Unit-1

Posted 21 November 2007 - 10:47 PM

View Postfoozeball67, on Nov 11 2007, 11:32 AM, said:

I understand that half of the front page is nothing but Ion help threads, and one more might send some people over the edge, but I couldn't find exactly what I want to know.

now, I am the current owner of a Tippmann custom pro and an avid woodsballer, so you'll have to see where I'm coming from, and not knowing what I'm talking about when it comes to speedball markers. A friend of mine and I are putting together a speedball team, and my tippy is just too big for me to feel comfortable to play with (I have a CAR stock and a 16" SP barrel, so it's crazy-long :)).

I have been looking into getting a new Ion and an All-American barrel (my 98's A.A. kicks butt, so I know it's a good product) as a starting upgrade, and I will be making the jump from CO2 to compressed air, so I'll probably get a CP tank as well.

So, with that all said, please bear with me and please answer my following questions so I can make the best decisions on my future purchase:

-what would be a good beginner's speedball setup for an Ion.
-what is a QEV?
-is an agitated/electronic hopper necessary?
-why are new feednecks recommended?
-should I get a reg?
-does it come with eyes?
-is a new board recommended?

Thanks in advance for all the help.

i understand what you mean, all and all, i've been thinking about getting an ion just for the kick of it, since i have an ego and etek for my speedball needs, an ion is just alot more funner to customize

1. instead of looking for a stock ion, i know various of shops here in texas and online that sell a special kind of ion package only for the price of $240 here in texas, and $279 on various online store, here's what they offer
the ion comes with a two piece all-american barrel,
a dynasty body kit,
a sp on/off asa
a q-lock feed neck
and i can't remember what size compressed aritank it comes with, but i'm fixing to get one from a shop, selling all that for only $240
these are the older version ions tho, no open back access to the bolt

2. qev quick exhuast valve

3. i would strongly advise getting a force fed hopper such as a halo or vlocity

4. stock is crap, and consistant pain to attaching and detaching a hopper

5. i thought the stock one works well, it's not nessessary

6. yes it comes with eyes

7. most people find it hard to believe that i can keep up with most other blackhearted ions with my friend dexs stock one
it too, isn't nessessary, but the blackheart seems to be the most popular

This post has been edited by DZ Unit-1: 21 November 2007 - 10:49 PM

Posted Image
"and DZ, I love that pic so much. If you were a girl, and not just a dude who looked like a girl, I would kiss you." mrwaterbuffalo, 1:17 AM "DZ, what are you?" -SnV- "He are legend." -Veritech Squad-

#36 User is offline   foozeball67 

• Intergalactic Overlord of the United States of Wisconsin
  • PipPipPip

Posted 22 November 2007 - 02:39 PM

alrighty, then, my mind has been made up... I'm getting a new Ion XE. (with the bolt-out back design)

thanks for all the help guys, I truly appreciate it.

#37 User is offline   Kingman Tech 

• Kingman Tech
  • PipPipPipPip

Posted 22 November 2007 - 02:58 PM

View Postfoozeball67, on Nov 22 2007, 04:39 PM, said:

alrighty, then, my mind has been made up... I'm getting a new Ion XE. (with the bolt-out back design)

thanks for all the help guys, I truly appreciate it.
Make sure you write a review about it. :laugh:
Those look nice. Hope you enjoy it.

-KT
Pump user #121
Spyder user #97

Feedback +1/-0

#38 User is offline   airforce 

• Forum Member
  • PipPip
  • Brigade Name:airforce

Posted 22 November 2007 - 07:21 PM

View PostPaintGuido, on Nov 11 2007, 11:44 AM, said:

Just out of personal preference, i would set you up w/ an SP-8 or SP-1, they are more woodsball. Again this is just a preference.

Here, if you are tryin to get into speedball, get the ion. DO not get the sp-8, because the things that are on that and the tac-1 are not necasarry for speedball, so why have them. Make it mean and lean. Yes, the ion does come with eyes. How into speedball are you gettin in, how deep. If you are goin to go in so deep that you need to spend enough to get a board, you will need to get alot of other stuff, so you would be spending so much money, you might as well just get a new marker. It is nice stock with an aftermarket barrel. Also I would say look at an aftermarket bolt, like say a deadlywind hollow point bolt, from deadlywind.com (mabey someday specops will start carryin their stuff) Yes, you need an electric hopper. IT IS A MUST. I have a velocity jr for my ion, and it treats me VERY well. Also, for like 1/3 the price of an all american I got a redz pepper stick, and I would go with that over the all american. I would say the quality is VERY comperable, I have experiance with both. I personally even like the pepperstick better. The ion is good, if you are goin to put alot of money into it, get an ETEK ego, but if you aren't gettin so deep into speedball, the ion is perfect, with a barrel and a good hopper. Hope it helped! :-)
Blessed be the lord who teacheth my hand to war and my fingers to fight Psalm 144-1

#39 User is offline   Philipp122 

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Brigade Name:Philipp122

Posted 22 November 2007 - 08:48 PM

View PostProdigy, on Nov 21 2007, 11:42 PM, said:

View PostPhilipp122, on Nov 14 2007, 06:11 PM, said:

View PostProdigy, on Nov 14 2007, 05:42 PM, said:

View PostPhilipp122, on Nov 11 2007, 10:41 PM, said:

View PostProdigy, on Nov 11 2007, 09:37 PM, said:

I really think if you're going to spend extra money the PMR or the SLG are your best bets. Proto>SP any day of the week.

Yeah, PMRs are better of course, but they cost much more than a stock Ion. The fact is, the only basic upgrade you need on an Ion is a barrel. The stock trigger can be easily fixed to reduce side-to-side wobble and the cheap plastic feel. The stock ASA isn't the best, but a drop will fix it. You don't need a QEV, but it's a good upgrade for $20. Basically, it's all a matter of personal opinion. Some people view the 'features' as a necessity, while others don't want them at all.

I personally do not have a trigger; I fixed my stock one. But I did get an on/off ASA for Christmas, as well as a barrel. My Ion has a total of $130 of upgrades. I bought it for $190 new. That's a total of $320 for an Ion with a barrel, QEV, ASA, and a locking feedneck. I'm never buying another aftermarket part for it again because I love it how it is right now.

Okay, but the SLG is only $250. And all it needs is a new trigger. At least that's what I'd fix on it if I bought one. To each their own, but I just cannot stand the Ion.

It really depends on the person. I prefer my on over anything, mainly because I'm so used to it. One thing i hate is how much crap the Ion gets from other people. If you can't make the stock Ion work for you, then you're just not very good. The Ion is a great marker and meets all standrads when it comes to professional playing: light weight, compact design, consistency, 15 balls per second without dropoff, etc. All it needs for a tourney player to use it is a barrel, an ASA to shorten up the back, and a low-rise feedneck to shorten up the top.

Oh by the way I'm not saying that you're not good :laugh:. I'm just saying, in general, that if someone says that the Ion sucks, then they just aren't very good and are too lazy to set the marker to their standards.

I guess my beef with the Ion is the Ion shooters that try to make their Ion something it's not. They are like yeah "my ion has this that and the other" and my response is "yeah, but it's still an Ion." When I buy a marker I don't want to have to add stuff to make it preform the way I want it to and I'm willing to pay a little extra from the get go to have that.

As your statement was a general statement, mine is too. I'm not calling you out, I'm just stating the reason I don't like the Ion. Because no matter what you do to it, it's still an Ion. They will never be a DM or whatever.

So what if it's still an Ion? Of course it's still an Ion. The only way it won't still be an Ion is if you replaced every part with something not from an Ion.

Also, I don't try to make it something it's not. I simply state what it is. It's a great marker. So what if it's not high-end; that'
s not what it's designed for. It's just a reliable, performance marker that anyone can afford. It's light, small, fast, consistent, quiet, and low-maintenance. Of course it's no DM7, but it's a perfectly good marker that anyone can use effectively.

View PostProdigy, on Nov 21 2007, 11:51 PM, said:

If you buy an Ion, dump $600 into you'll maybe get a return of $300 when you sell it. Ions resells are terrible. And I don't like having to dump $800 into a makerr(after parts + original cost) and have it preform like the Ion does.

Just curious, have you ever shot a DM?

I bought my Ion for $180 and have $180 into it. It now has a QEV, a good barrel, a clamping feedneck, and an on/off ASA. I did some mods to the stock trigger and fixed any problems with it. And now I have a perfectly good paintball marker that can perform just as good as any on a legal field. Here's why:

It can shoot 15 bps with consistency of +/- 3fps. It weighs in at 2 pounds 3 ounces. It has the ASA that helped tighten it up and maker it more compact. It has a clamping feedneck and a good trigger. No one can ever complain about my Ion. You don't have to like it, but you can't complain about it. I pay for all of my own stuff, so I can't afford a DM7. I got my Ion, take good care of it, and it's problem-free because I know what I'm doing.

You say that an Ion with $600 of parts doesn't perform like an $800 marker. Here's why. Only about $350 of that is performance parts. A new board, QEV, barrel, and bolt will cost you about $350. Now, an Ion with these performance parts will have near-perfect consistency, shoot at 30 bps, have no drop off, and will perform like any other amazing marker. The only thing left to spend money on is cosmetics.

If you ask me, anyone who says that Ions suck is just straight up spoiled. They are great markers, especially if you know what you are doing. The reason so many people hate the Ion is because they hear from friends that they suck. The majority of people who dislike Ions have never even held one.

This post has been edited by Philipp122: 22 November 2007 - 08:52 PM

#40 User is offline   Prodigy 

• Public Enemy #1
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 22 November 2007 - 09:00 PM

Okay, I've shot an Ion, they are decent at best. Your Ion will not touch the performance, feel, or ease of use that I have with my DM5 and PM6. Sorry it won't. As for being spoiled, you obviously don't know me. I've never had anyone pay a dime for any of my paintball wants.

Two major set backs the Ion has is that 1. Its got a plastic body, plastic FTL and 2. the fact it takes a PHD to take it apart. If I need to change or lube orings, it's one allen key on the back and the bolt comes out. Turning it on and changing the modes, super easy unlike the Ion. There is a reason the DMs and PMs and the like are more expensive. It's because they are better.

EDIT: I'm done with this thread though. I've said the same thing over and over again, only to be countered with the same thing over and over again. We can argue this till our fingers fall off, I'm not changing my stance, you don't appear to be changing yours.

This post has been edited by Prodigy: 22 November 2007 - 09:05 PM

Team Krisis
You gas up the marker, put on the gloves, strap on the mask, and walk onto the field.. it doesn't matter that you failed a test, that your girlfriend broke up with you last night, or that you got a ticket on the way there...your world is right for the next couple hours, this is your heaven on earth... live it... love it..

How the hell could you stop me? Why in the world would you try? I go hard forever that's just how I'm designed, that's just how I was built.

#41 User is offline   foozeball67 

• PipPipPip

Posted 22 November 2007 - 09:23 PM

View PostProdigy, on Nov 22 2007, 10:00 PM, said:

Okay, I've shot an Ion, they are decent at best. Your Ion will not touch the performance, feel, or ease of use that I have with my DM5 and PM6. Sorry it won't.

of course it won't, if it's stock.

View PostProdigy, on Nov 22 2007, 10:00 PM, said:

Two major set backs the Ion has is that 1. Its got a plastic body, plastic FTL and 2. the fact it takes a PHD to take it apart. If I need to change or lube orings, it's one allen key on the back and the bolt comes out. Turning it on and changing the modes, super easy unlike the Ion. There is a reason the DMs and PMs and the like are more expensive. It's because they are better.

1. the frame is metal. that's all that really matters, you can always replace a body.]

2.the new XE has bolt-out-back, which isn't that hard to disassemble.

#42 User is offline   Prodigy 

• Public Enemy #1
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 22 November 2007 - 09:51 PM

Wonder how long it'll be till SP patents that stolen idea too.....
Team Krisis

#43 User is offline   Philipp122 

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Brigade Name:Philipp122

Posted 22 November 2007 - 10:07 PM

View PostProdigy, on Nov 22 2007, 11:00 PM, said:

Okay, I've shot an Ion, they are decent at best. Your Ion will not touch the performance, feel, or ease of use that I have with my DM5 and PM6. Sorry it won't. As for being spoiled, you obviously don't know me. I've never had anyone pay a dime for any of my paintball wants.

EDIT: I'm done with this thread though. I've said the same thing over and over again, only to be countered with the same thing over and over again. We can argue this till our fingers fall off, I'm not changing my stance, you don't appear to be changing yours.

I wasn't calling you spoiled. Sorry if it came across like that. No, I meant that anyone who says they suck is spoiled, and you clearly just mentioned that they don't match up to a DM7, which, of course, is very true. Sorry 'bout that :huh: .

As for the plastic body, while it is nearly indestructible, I wish they came with aluminum bodies. The upside of the plastic is the light weight, while the downside is the cheap look. Disassembly isn't bad at all once you have done it two or three times. You just have to be careful with the banjo fittings, eye wires, and battery wires, and you're fine.

The way I see it, DMs and PMs are only worth it if you feel that they are worth it. If you want to pay more for better performance, easier disassembly, and better looks, nothing's stopping ya. IF you don't think you need it though, stick with an Ion or a PMR. Buying the more expensive one is not a bad thing at all.

This post has been edited by Philipp122: 22 November 2007 - 10:08 PM

#44 User is offline   Prodigy 

• Public Enemy #1
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 22 November 2007 - 10:13 PM

I'm down with that. Makes sense, to each their own. Mine just happens to be a PM or DM.
Team Krisis

#45 User is offline   foozeball67 

• PipPipPip

Posted 22 November 2007 - 10:31 PM

View PostProdigy, on Nov 22 2007, 10:51 PM, said:

Wonder how long it'll be till SP patents that stolen idea too.....

c'mon, man, give credit where it's due. they made things more convenient for their customers.

you can't bash them for doing something right.

Share this topic:

• (4 Pages)
  • +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users