Special Ops Paintball: Considering an Ion... - Special Ops Paintball

• (4 Pages)
  • +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Considering an Ion... I need well-weatherd advice from y'all...

#16 User is offline   J.W.Pepper 

• Forum Member
  • PipPip
  • Group: Members

Posted 12 November 2007 - 07:08 AM

i just bought an ION and after a weekend of play i would have to say the first upgrade to get would be a good loader. ive got a cheap extreme rage agitated hopper good for 10 bps i was using and it was terrible. I guarante i would have been slinging twice as much paint per snap if i would have had a loader that could keep up with the gun. the feedneck sucks too. Is there any attachment i could get that would offset the hopper? I dont like the fact that the hopper is parallel with the gun, i have to lean out just that little bit extra to look over the gun which i do not like at all.
South Eastern Pennsylvannia Paintball Community www.sepapaintball.com
T-E-A-M R-A-G-N-A-R-O-K WHEN ALL ELSE FAILS...
www.teamragnarok.com
SPONSORS:
http://www.WDP.tv| http://www.JtSports.com| http://www.FogTech.com| http://www.Jassepaintball.com| http://www.HooahBar.com| http://www.HoffmanPaintball.com| http://www.StrategyPlus.com

#17 User is offline   mongoman 

• mongoman
  • PipPipPip
  • Brigade Name:104914

Posted 12 November 2007 - 09:50 PM

I have had a Ion for 2 years and it is my main marker here is what I did and why

1. feedneck-stock is so tight you can break it by pulling out the hopper

2. Hopper-I shoot mine in semi and the ion has good speed stock I love my egg 3 verry good at deflecting paint without breaking and enough speed for the ion.

3. When you can, get a barrel until then the stock unit shoots large dia paint well like marbz, it is brutal with small paint. I have tried several barrels on my a5 and ion and when it comes down to it the freak kit from sp is the best in more conditions. I like the 14" with the aa front it makes the marker quieter and shoots verry tight patterns. I could find a barrel that worked with one paint but if the weather changes or you have to change paint you are out of luck keep the stock until you can get the freak kit.

4. A qev is good if you want to ramp alot and shoot faster but to me shot placement is better then bps so thats why the barrel is before the qev

5. Trigger the stock trigger works ok but you can shoot alot better with the roller bearing units.

6. When you get hard core then you have to get the virtue board, it will get the max out of the ion and make it tourney aproved as the stock ion is not.

The ion is a verry simple unit once you take the time to learn how it works it gives better then average performance for 1/4 the cost. Next thing is the ion is now like the 98 every shop in america has stuff for them so if you do have a problem you can get help. Where as the timmy and pmr you have less chance of getting parts or a tech who knows how to fix them. Any question im me and I will be happy to help if I can.

#18 User is offline   Mighty Mike 

• The Aggorilla is watching you!
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Brigade Name:MightyMike0

Posted 12 November 2007 - 10:10 PM

-what would be a good beginner's speedball setup for an Ion.really just a new feedneck, a electro hopper and HPA
-what is a QEV?Quick Exaust Valve
-is an agitated/electronic hopper necessary? pretty much. get a vlocity, or if you want cheaper the vl force is okay
-why are new feednecks recommended?the stock one is meh
-should I get a reg?its not necessary
-does it come with eyes?yes
-is a new board recommended?stock one works fine

#19 User is offline   DZ Unit-1 

• Cacophony Pony
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • Brigade Name:DZ Unit-1

Posted 12 November 2007 - 10:24 PM

well, even though i no longer have one, i still tend to borrow my friend dex ravens ion for the fun of it, i just like the trigger pull of it and in someways, tinkering with it is pretty fun at times, so me, reynol, and brian are thinking about getting somemore, just for the kick of it, they're pretty nifty and fun to play with
Posted Image
"and DZ, I love that pic so much. If you were a girl, and not just a dude who looked like a girl, I would kiss you." mrwaterbuffalo, 1:17 AM "DZ, what are you?" -SnV- "He are legend." -Veritech Squad-

#20 User is offline   Prodigy 

• Public Enemy #1
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Brigade Name:DavidP1013

Posted 14 November 2007 - 03:42 PM

View PostPhilipp122, on Nov 11 2007, 10:41 PM, said:

View PostProdigy, on Nov 11 2007, 09:37 PM, said:

I really think if you're going to spend extra money the PMR or the SLG are your best bets. Proto>SP any day of the week.

Yeah, PMRs are better of course, but they cost much more than a stock Ion. The fact is, the only basic upgrade you need on an Ion is a barrel. The stock trigger can be easily fixed to reduce side-to-side wobble and the cheap plastic feel. The stock ASA isn't the best, but a drop will fix it. You don't need a QEV, but it's a good upgrade for $20. Basically, it's all a matter of personal opinion. Some people view the 'features' as a neccesity, while others don't want them at all.

I personally do not have a trigger; I fixed my stock one. But I did get an on/off ASA for Christmas, as well as a barrel. My Ion has a total of $130 of upgrades. I bought it for $190 new. That's a total of $320 for an Ion with a barrel, QEV, ASA, and a locking feedneck. I'm never buying another aftermarket part for it again because I love it how it is right now.

Okay, but the SLG is only $250. And all it needs is a new trigger. At least that's what I'd fix on it if I bought one. To each their own, but I just cannot stand the Ion.
Team Krisis
You gas up the marker, put on the gloves, strap on the mask, and walk onto the field.. it doesn't matter that you failed a test, that your girlfriend broke up with you last night, or that you got a ticket on the way there...your world is right for the next couple hours, this is your heaven on earth... live it... love it..

How the hell could you stop me? Why in the world would you try? I go hard forever that's just how I'm designed, that's just how I was built.

#21 User is offline   Philipp122 

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Brigade Name:Philipp122

Posted 14 November 2007 - 04:11 PM

View PostProdigy, on Nov 14 2007, 05:42 PM, said:

I really think if you're going to spend extra money the PMR or the SLG are your best bets. Proto>SP any day of the week.

Yeah, PMRs are better of course, but they cost much more than a stock Ion. The fact is, the only basic upgrade you need on an Ion is a barrel. The stock trigger can be easily fixed to reduce side-to-side wobble and the cheap plastic feel. The stock ASA isn't the best, but a drop will fix it. You don't need a QEV, but it's a good upgrade for $20. Basically, it's all a matter of personal opinion. Some people view the 'features' as a neccesity, while others don't want them at all.

I personally do not have a trigger; I fixed my stock one. But I did get an on/off ASA for Christmas, as well as a barrel. My Ion has a total of $130 of upgrades. I bought it for $190 new. That's a total of $320 for an Ion with a barrel, QEV, ASA, and a locking feedneck. I'm never buying another aftermarket part for it again because I love it how it is right now.

Okay, but the SLG is only $250. And all it needs is a new trigger. At least that's what I'd fix on it if I bought one. To each their own, but I just cannot stand the Ion.

It really depends on the person. I prefer my on over anything, mainly because I'm so used to it. One thing i hate is how much crap the Ion gets from other people. If you can't make the stock Ion work for you, then you're just not very good. The Ion is a great marker and meets all standrads when it comes to professional playing: light weight, compact design, consistency, 15 balls per second without dropoff, etc. All it needs for a tourney player to use it is a barrel, an ASA to shorten up the back, and a low-rise feedneck to shorten up the top.

Oh by the way I'm not saying that you're not good ;). I'm just saying, in general, that if someone says that the Ion sucks, then they just aren't very good and are too lazy to set the marker to their standards.

#22 User is offline   foozeball67 

• Intergalactic Overlord of the United States of Wisconsin
  • PipPipPip

Posted 19 November 2007 - 06:44 PM

Thanks for the help, guys, I just have one more question.

So, in my search of a new gun, I came across the Tac-one as well. I posted a thread yesterday in the 'marker vs. marker' board, but I wanted to know what you guys, the ones with an assumed loyalty to ions, thought of how the Tac shows up next to the Ion.

Bias aside, which is the better gun, regardless of price?

#23 User is offline   Philipp122 

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Brigade Name:Philipp122

Posted 19 November 2007 - 07:35 PM

Tac-One lovers swear by them because of "reliability".

Truth is, an Ion is very reliable if you take care of it and know what you're doing. Also, because of it's spool-valve electropneumatic design, the Ion has only one mivng part, and a light one at that. THis means less kick. The Ion is also generally more consistent. The Ion is lighter, but weight has never really been an issue for me.

Other than that, they're both great markers. You'll love either one.

#24 User is offline   foozeball67 

• Intergalactic Overlord of the United States of Wisconsin
  • PipPipPip

Posted 19 November 2007 - 08:10 PM

now you're making it harder for me to choose B)

actually, I checked it out, and it'll cost me $560 (give or take) for the Tac, and only $300 for the Ion.

Hell, I could get an Xbox 360 and the Ion for the tac's price.

I hope I get some cashola for X-mas...

This post has been edited by foozeball67: 19 November 2007 - 08:11 PM

#25 User is offline   DieHard Baller 

• Ultimatum
  • Pip
  • Brigade Name:DieHard Baller

Posted 20 November 2007 - 05:50 PM

i go with prodigy...i would have gotten the proto slg if it had come out before the ION but it's to late for that now. lol
Buying Trilogy Pump Kit
Buying Trilogy Bolt

"Never argue with an idiot, they will drag you down to thier level and beat you with experience."
My Feedback +5/-0

#26 User is offline   Kingman Tech 

• Kingman Tech
  • PipPipPipPip

Posted 20 November 2007 - 06:22 PM

I'm not a fan of smart parts but I can give them credit for their products.

I've used, not counting their 08 line up, all but 1 of their guns. Havent used the epiphany because its so clsoe to an Ion.
I've owned a few ions and they really arent bad. If you want an ion, then get one. They are getting super cheap and their preformance is very good for their price.

-KT
Pump user #121
Spyder user #97

Feedback +1/-0

#27 User is offline   Prodigy 

• Public Enemy #1
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 21 November 2007 - 09:42 PM

View PostPhilipp122, on Nov 14 2007, 06:11 PM, said:

View PostProdigy, on Nov 14 2007, 05:42 PM, said:

It really depends on the person. I prefer my on over anything, mainly because I'm so used to it. One thing i hate is how much crap the Ion gets from other people. If you can't make the stock Ion work for you, then you're just not very good. The Ion is a great marker and meets all standrads when it comes to professional playing: light weight, compact design, consistency, 15 balls per second without dropoff, etc. All it needs for a tourney player to use it is a barrel, an ASA to shorten up the back, and a low-rise feedneck to shorten up the top.

Oh by the way I'm not saying that you're not good :happy:. I'm just saying, in general, that if someone says that the Ion sucks, then they just aren't very good and are too lazy to set the marker to their standards.

I guess my beef with the Ion is the Ion shooters that try to make their Ion something it's not. They are like yeah "my ion has this that and the other" and my response is "yeah, but it's still an Ion." When I buy a marker I don't want to have to add stuff to make it preform the way I want it to and I'm willing to pay a little extra from the get go to have that.

As your statement was a general statement, mine is too. I'm not calling you out, I'm just stating the reason I don't like the Ion. Because no matter what you do to it, it's still an Ion. They will never be a DM or whatever.
Team Krisis
You gas up the marker, put on the gloves, strap on the mask, and walk onto the field.. it doesn't matter that you failed a test, that your girlfriend broke up with you last night, or that you got a ticket on the way there...your world is right for the next couple hours, this is your heaven on earth... live it... love it..

How the hell could you stop me? Why in the world would you try? I go hard forever that's just how I'm designed, that's just how I was built.

#28 User is offline   mongoman 

• mongoman
  • PipPipPip

Posted 21 November 2007 - 09:48 PM

ok the logic there is not the best, we are talking about an ion vs a dm7. Thats like a mustang vs a viper not really the same type of product here. The ion is a great entry level marker with tons of ways to upgrade. If it were my money I would still get an ion and put 600 into upgrades then buy a dm7. Lets not kid here the ion is not the best marker in the world and no one is saying it is, but with the right parts it can run with your dm for much less $.

#29 User is offline   Prodigy 

• Public Enemy #1
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 21 November 2007 - 09:51 PM

If you buy an Ion, dump $600 into you'll maybe get a return of $300 when you sell it. Ions resells are terrible. And I don't like having to dump $800 into a makerr(after parts + original cost) and have it preform like the Ion does.

Just curious, have you ever shot a DM?
Team Krisis

#30 User is offline   mongoman 

• mongoman
  • PipPipPip

Posted 21 November 2007 - 10:03 PM

I have shot a dm7 before and it was verry nice, whats wrong with the ion performance?

Share this topic:

• (4 Pages)
  • +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users