Special Ops Paintball: Food for thought. - Special Ops Paintball

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Food for thought.

#1 User is offline   redarmy27 

• Get a good look now, you won't see me later.
  • PipPipPip
  • Group: Members
  • Brigade Name:redarmy27

Post icon  Posted 01 November 2007 - 11:17 PM

I just thought of this as I read another forum topic about a kid passing out because of dehydration during a paintball match.

Believe it or not, we are athletes too. If you don't believe it, just think of how much we are moving while evading fire, jumping over logs, and sprinting from bunker to bunker. Time and time again I have seen people hurt themselves or their bodies because they don't prepare their bodies for the bombardment a paintball game does to the body. Being a college athlete currently (cross country runner and track and field ), I take my pre-race routine to the field each and every time before I play. Here are some thoughts:

Hydrate, hydrate, hydrate!
Believe it or not, you lose a ton of water when you play paintball. To demonstrate how much water I lose during a game, I weighed myself before and after I played. I lost a total of 5 lbs. 5lbs of water! When you sweat, your body is losing the very thing that keeps it going. For every pound of sweat you lose, it takes over 20 ounces of water to replace that pound. By hydrating a good day before you play, your body prepares itself for the next day. You'll sleep better, you'll be more alert and you'll have more stamina to keep the plays going and helping your team.

If you ever feel faint because of dehydration, don't be afraid to sit out! Each year hundreds of people are brought to the ER while playing paintball because they passed out from dehydration. Playing dehydrated decreases your judgement and accuracy and for every half pound of sweat you lose, you lose 5% of your endurance. Keep hydrating your body throughout the day. If it's a long scenario game, consider getting a camelback. Drink water between matches. Keep the fluids in your body. It all adds up!

Stretch before you hit the field!
There is nothing worse than running for an objective and then stumbling over, not because you were hit, because you pulled a hamstring. Muscle pulls in paintball are one of the leading causes to injury in the sport. To prevent pulling a muscle during your pathway to glory, take just 2 minutes to stretch your legs and arms out. Go for a little jog to get the blood going. Doing this loosens your body up and can actually relax you before a match, meaning you'll be less jittery and ready to do you matrix moves around the opposition. Don't miss a game because you pulled a muscle. Stretching will also reduce the soreness alot of people experience the day after a match. Treat your body right and you'll have a great time.

Eat before you suit up!
Your body is the equivalent of a jet engine. You need fuel, and time after time, I see players come to the field with empty stomachs. If you plan to move around alot and make some killer plays, why do it on an empty tank? Fuel your body with a good breakfast/meal before you play. By keeping your glucose levels at an optimum level, you'll perform at your optimum level. Don't be afraid to bring snacks/ meals to your matches with you. The more you can keep your engine fueled up, the more effecient you will be for your team. So eat up!

No matter how cool your gear is, your body is the best thing you have in a paintball match. Treat it that way. By treating your body properly, win or lose, you'll perform well in your games. You wouldn't run your marker off of poor seals or crappy paint would you? Your body is your best bet to a successful day!

Hope this helps.
Have a good one.

Jake
"I think I'm going to make a broad patent on "crap". Then SP will have to pay me royalties for every marker they make." -JerseyPaint

98% of Teens today have smoked Pot. Only 2% have not. If you are one of the 1% that think these Statistics are bogus... put this in your signature!
9 out of 10 teens listen to rap. If you're one of the few that stay true to progressive metal/classic rock, put this in your signature!
~~Put this in your sig if you are a christian baller~~

My feedback: http://forum.specialopspaintball.com/index...'s+feedback

#2 User is offline   thebostinian 

• SOFA Favorite Member Title 2009
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • Brigade Name:thebostinian

Posted 01 November 2007 - 11:48 PM

this should be moved to safety, IMO. good stuff, though.

"Yeah, but a thread that started out as borderline weird and creepy to begin with has now taken a left turn into 'Deliverance." - Violator
Don't try to pronounce the second "o". Instead, try realize the truth: there is no second "o"

#3 User is offline   GuitarSlave 

• Moutain Bike Racer
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • Brigade Name:GuitarSlave

Posted 02 November 2007 - 12:09 AM

I'm glad someone finnally said something. I always feel strange stretching before a game... not because i think it's a bad thing to stretch before a PB game... but because everyone else is looking at me like i'm retarded

nice to see i'm not alone

#4 User is offline   Ka1iBuR 

• The swagger of an EMPEROR!!!
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • Brigade Name:Ka1iBuR

Posted 02 November 2007 - 05:41 AM

If you don't mind, could you also post this in my Official Newb advice thread? You can find the link in my sig.

#5 User is offline   undeadmouse 

• Look! An undead mouse!
  • PipPipPip
  • Brigade Name:undeadmouse

Posted 02 November 2007 - 07:09 AM

Very good. However I remember something about this in Safety a couple of months ago, though I think that was just hydration.

Hide in shame from my lack of aim! - Pump Member 112 (It's been over 2 years, okay?) ...blah dropped to 54% shot efficiency.
I'm back from a long long long time of no paintball, drooling over markers older then I am.

#6 User is offline   Ka1iBuR 

• The swagger of an EMPEROR!!!
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • Brigade Name:Ka1iBuR

Posted 02 November 2007 - 07:10 AM

View Postundeadmouse, on Nov 2 2007, 10:09 AM, said:

Very good. However I remember something about this in Safety a couple of months ago, though I think that was just hydration.

Yeah, I saw it, too. I think you're right.

#7 User is offline   redarmy27 

• PipPipPip

Posted 02 November 2007 - 10:43 AM

View PostKa1iBuR, on Nov 2 2007, 07:41 AM, said:

If you don't mind, could you also post this in my Official Newb advice thread? You can find the link in my sig.

Ya, no problem :dodgy:
"I think I'm going to make a broad patent on "crap". Then SP will have to pay me royalties for every marker they make." -JerseyPaint

98% of Teens today have smoked Pot. Only 2% have not. If you are one of the 1% that think these Statistics are bogus... put this in your signature!
9 out of 10 teens listen to rap. If you're one of the few that stay true to progressive metal/classic rock, put this in your signature!

#8 User is offline   redarmy27 

• PipPipPip

Posted 02 November 2007 - 10:46 AM

View PostGuitarSlave, on Nov 2 2007, 02:09 AM, said:

I'm glad someone finnally said something. I always feel strange stretching before a game... not because i think it's a bad thing to stretch before a PB game... but because everyone else is looking at me like i'm retarded

nice to see i'm not alone

You may feel strange, but it's way better than having to sit out because you pulled something. I had a guy make a wise-crack about me stretching, and not even 20 minutes later he pulled his groin. That shut him up, he was also out for the season.

#9 User is offline   thebostinian 

• SOFA Favorite Member Title 2009
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • Brigade Name:thebostinian

Posted 02 November 2007 - 11:05 AM

View PostKa1iBuR, on Nov 2 2007, 10:10 AM, said:

that might have been me. i pulled the safety articles off of Durty Dan's pages...one of them was a hydration one.

"Yeah, but a thread that started out as borderline weird and creepy to begin with has now taken a left turn into 'Deliverance." - Violator
Don't try to pronounce the second "o". Instead, try realize the truth: there is no second "o"

#10 User is offline   redarmy27 

• PipPipPip

Posted 02 November 2007 - 01:05 PM

View Postthebostinian, on Nov 2 2007, 01:05 PM, said:

View PostKa1iBuR, on Nov 2 2007, 10:10 AM, said:

that might have been me. i pulled the safety articles off of Durty Dan's pages...one of them was a hydration one.

Nice :happy:. I just got this from my sports trainer here at the college. We got a big schpeal about this stuff two weeks ago after a ton of people went down during a race. Alot of our athletes performed well, but it was a good reminder. I think the same should be applied to paintball as well.

#11 User is offline   WardenWolf 

• Aspie Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Brigade Name:WardenWolf

Posted 02 November 2007 - 01:35 PM

Good advice. Thwacked to Safety!

Kanye: "Yo, Chile, I'm gonna let you finish shakin', but I just got to say Haiti had one of the best earthquakes of all time!"
Save a tree: wipe your ass with a hippie!

#12 User is offline   six one alpha 

• Forum Newbie
  • Pip
  • Brigade Name:six one alpha

Posted 20 December 2007 - 01:59 AM

Easy way to remember Signs/symptoms of dehydration: "Mumble/Grumble/Stumble"-Individual becomes verbally incoherant/ Becomes aggressive,offensive, short-tempered/ Looses co-ordination, falls down.
Get them to a cool shady spot off the field or under cover in a building. Call a ref. 911 may be needed. Get other players to act as a human shield. Normally I would say "NEVER remove your mask on the field", this is one of the few exceptions. Get the players' mask off and get them cooled down, get fluids into them (Gaderade or some other such fluid).
61A-EYES AND EARS
Can one mind make a difference? EVERY difference is made...ONE MIND AT A TIME!

#13 User is offline   gameystar333 

• PipPipPipPip
  • Brigade Name:PYROPAINTBALLER

Posted 26 December 2007 - 10:09 PM

an all too true topic and good help to all
guy "How come you guys didn't arm the bomb"
aimforthetrash "because we all died"
my crowning forum achhivement
Feedback here soon.
I support Mike and TechPb. Put this in your sig if you do too.

#14 User is offline   HOUND1 

• VVVCheese Its!
  • PipPipPip
  • Brigade Name:AMRAAM11

Posted 03 January 2008 - 01:22 PM

i almost threw up once from dehydration in a hot july game.
Posted Image

Share this topic:

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users