Special Ops Paintball: Tips for a first time scenario ref - Special Ops Paintball

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Tips for a first time scenario ref Yep, once again a noob Rate Topic: -----

#1 User is offline   goathunter 

• Forum Newbie
  • Pip
  • Group: Members

Posted 05 September 2007 - 06:19 PM

Here is my situation,

The scenario team I play for is going to be hosting a scenario next month.As the hosting team we are going to be reffing.Now I've reffed on and off for quite a while, but this will be my first scenario as a ref.I'm wondering how to handle some of the issues so common to big game reffing.

First is how to stay back and not let body language give off any hints about missions?I know when I'm playing the first thing I do is check the ref.If he's fidgety I know something is up.So how do you all deal with these situations? I know some refs that act like they are on auto pilot and you can't get jack diddle squat from them no matter what.I'd like to learn how to get that right!

Second is wiping.I'm a general hardnose about it.If I catch you wiping you are off the field and sit out a game.How does it work for scenarios?Some fields use punch cards but how effective are they?I've never been accused of wiping so I'm at a disadvantage when it comes to reprimand and their effectiveness.

Third,what is everyones bottom line for a misbehaving player.When does "much" become "too much" and it's time to kick the guy.Should it be the same as recball?More stringent?Or more forgiving?

And if any of you have more suggesions please bring it on.

Thanks

#2 User is offline   andrew1987 

• Sophomore Member
  • PipPipPip
  • Brigade Name:beat box

Posted 06 September 2007 - 04:09 PM

View Postgoathunter, on Sep 5 2007, 06:19 PM, said:

Here is my situation,

The scenario team I play for is going to be hosting a scenario next month.As the hosting team we are going to be reffing.Now I've reffed on and off for quite a while, but this will be my first scenario as a ref.I'm wondering how to handle some of the issues so common to big game reffing.

First is how to stay back and not let body language give off any hints about missions?I know when I'm playing the first thing I do is check the ref.If he's fidgety I know something is up.So how do you all deal with these situations? I know some refs that act like they are on auto pilot and you can't get jack diddle squat from them no matter what.I'd like to learn how to get that right!

Second is wiping.I'm a general hardnose about it.If I catch you wiping you are off the field and sit out a game.How does it work for scenarios?Some fields use punch cards but how effective are they?I've never been accused of wiping so I'm at a disadvantage when it comes to reprimand and their effectiveness.

Third,what is everyones bottom line for a misbehaving player.When does "much" become "too much" and it's time to kick the guy.Should it be the same as recball?More stringent?Or more forgiving?

And if any of you have more suggesions please bring it on.

Thanks

as for wiping i have no idea what to say,
in everything else
0 tolarance even less then in a normal game
we all say kick you out the first time but at one point there is some lee way
in a big game 0 leway, no second chances, take people out, drag them out and make sure they don't get another arm band
no ways no hows nothing0
one toe out of line and your gone

#3 User is offline   Daddy55 

• Forum Newbie
  • Pip
  • Brigade Name:Daddy55

Posted 06 September 2007 - 04:26 PM

1st: Just keep a cool head and don't lead or follow to close. If you are assigned to a fixed position (flag, etc.) make sure you dont stand directly next to it. Stand about 25-50 feet or however far you feel is sufficent, just make sure you have a clear and unobstructed view of your object if your watching one.

For the wiping issue: Make sure when your doing your safety debreif at the start of the scenario to make it clear about the punishments for wiping. If you catch someone pull them immediatly don't wait till the end of the game. And don't let the players sass you about it, the refs word is the final word on wiping.

3rd: Paintball players tend to be very competative and therefor very explosive. Ive seen my fair share of blow-ups after games. If you have someone taunting another person in the field, as long as its not getting too out of hand, go ahead and let it. If someone blows up immediatly after walking off the field, first, politely ask him to take a walk to cool down. If the person(s) continue to curse or start to fight, immediatly warn them of the punishments or kick them off the field for the day (or how you see fit).

These are simply my opinions, use them as you'd like. Have fun reffing!

#4 User is offline   goathunter 

• Forum Newbie
  • Pip

Posted 07 September 2007 - 05:59 PM

Thanks fellas.I really do appreciate your help.
I'm hoping to make this scenario run nice and smooth.

If any of you are in the NC/SC area please stop by.
Adventure Beach paintball

#5 User is offline   emr_ambush_alpha67 

• ambush AkA the law
  • PipPipPip
  • Brigade Name:ambush_alpha67

Posted 17 September 2007 - 03:41 AM

also here's a few tips,
make sure you have a watch on you to right down mission time completed,
pen to sign off mission card,
extra barrel condoms,
water if out for a long excess amount of time.

wipeing- easiest way to deal with it is using a player card or wrist band. player card has 3 penalty spots. lifting mask should be 2 punches if your field is big on safety, wipeing is 1, cheating such as dead man walks, talking when dead is one punch. arguing with a ref 1 punch (remember your word is law on the field!).
excessive chrono (aka high speed) if your chrono speed is 285 a player with a gun that registers over 285 - 290 have leave field and adjust, players with 295-305 1 punch send off field to adjust speed, players with 305 and up 2 whole punches leave field to adjust chrono.
someone shooting illegal materials, aka re-balls, marbles (yes its ben done before) eject from field bring to field owner/ scenario producer.
fighting- eject from field bring to field owner/ manager, call police if necessary.

if the person gets 3 whole punches there gone from the game, and if the scenario is broken up into parts lie mini games, for the entire day/ weekend for longer events.
~RIP~ Owego Outlaws
NJ TITANS!!! HOW WE ROLLL!!!! SOOOOOUUUTTTHHHH SSSIIIDDDEEE!!!!
~I AM THE SLINKEY~

Share this topic:

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users