Special Ops Paintball: deadly Hpa (nitro) And Co2 Tank Saftey Incidents - Special Ops Paintball

• (3 Pages)
  • +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

deadly Hpa (nitro) And Co2 Tank Saftey Incidents For experienced and new players

#16 User is offline   Badmintoner 

• Peace!
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Members

Posted 27 August 2007 - 01:30 PM

Very informative post. I actually just recently saw pictures (I think on PbN) of someone who had a HPA tank explode (might have been one of your stories). It was pretty creepy, and I'm actually suprised I haven't heard of more of these cases, considering the careless behaviors of a many people, and the very few factors needed...

At my current field, they wont let you take off your tanks because of what happened to that mom, and they fill your tanks for you. At my old field, we could actually fill them ourselves (which saves a lot of time), but I can see serious safety issues there.

Also, thanks for the pin, Teddy. I think this will help a lot of people.

#17 User is offline   Thalion 

• Probably in the Shooters Thread...
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 27 August 2007 - 03:38 PM

Good post.

Just another reason to play stock class :P
Member of Team Akkadian

#18 User is offline   Slivers 

• The charred ghost of Slivers
  • PipPipPip
  • Brigade Name:Slivers

Posted 27 August 2007 - 04:22 PM

View PostRyan J., on Aug 27 2007, 12:12 PM, said:

wow and my field u fill your tanks yourself, i just read this for the first time haha

After reading that, it sounds like they're on to something. :laugh:

Though that's a good argument for N2 instead of a simple "dirty air" fill. Zero chance of explosion (ie: no oxygen...), but don't blame your local field owner if he starts charging $200/case of paint.

This post has been edited by Slivers: 27 August 2007 - 04:24 PM

Posted Image
Flying straight above the steady stream of stars.

#19 User is offline   Huff n Puff 

• Elite Sabre
  • PipPipPip
  • Brigade Name:HUFF N PUFF

Posted 27 August 2007 - 04:43 PM

Very good post. I honestly didn't think that somebody would be stupid enough to put oil in the nipple. I'm glad this was posted I have a lot more to think about now.

One good point that needs to be made is CO2 and HPA tanks is don't leave them in cars, tents, out in the sun, etc. And don't wrap tape around them. I know a kid who has blown 3 20oz CO2 tanks. Luckily the tanks were almost empty so the CO2 was gone quickly. First time he used camouflaged duct tape around the tank and left it in the sun, that made a very large bang thank god the saftey features actually worked. He then left a tank in the sun on a 100+ degree day, because he thought the tank was empty. Then he left one in his tent at a scenario game, guess what it blew. Then we had to let his tent air out so he wouldn't go in there and die from high CO2 levels. He finally has figured it out and always sets his stuff in the shade or in his cooler.
Elite Team 6 Rocks
Fire? Yes Please

#20 User is offline   Ryan J. 

• Life begins at the break and ends at the 50.
  • PipPipPip
  • Brigade Name:TheJudge411

Posted 29 August 2007 - 12:12 PM

View PostHuff n Puff, on Aug 27 2007, 07:43 PM, said:

Very good post. I honestly didn't think that somebody would be stupid enough to put oil in the nipple. I'm glad this was posted I have a lot more to think about now.

One good point that needs to be made is CO2 and HPA tanks is don't leave them in cars, tents, out in the sun, etc. And don't wrap tape around them. I know a kid who has blown 3 20oz CO2 tanks. Luckily the tanks were almost empty so the CO2 was gone quickly. First time he used camouflaged duct tape around the tank and left it in the sun, that made a very large bang thank god the saftey features actually worked. He then left a tank in the sun on a 100+ degree day, because he thought the tank was empty. Then he left one in his tent at a scenario game, guess what it blew. Then we had to let his tent air out so he wouldn't go in there and die from high CO2 levels. He finally has figured it out and always sets his stuff in the shade or in his cooler.

sounds like he needs a new hobby.

#21 User is offline   jag06 

• Sophomore Member
  • PipPipPip
  • Brigade Name:jag06

Posted 08 September 2007 - 07:14 AM

Is it ok to put oil on the thread? I never knew that this could happen, so thanks for the thread. I put oil on the thread from time to time because they get hard to screw on after a while. I just want to make sure that this want cause a flash like that? Thanks,

Jag
My Feedback +7/-0 Gore Family Paintball field
Digitally Dangerous member #3

#22 User is offline   10-shot kid 

• Sophomore Member
  • PipPipPip

Posted 30 September 2007 - 06:02 PM

I've been droping a drop or oil or two into the ASA threads in order to lubricate my gun for years without a problem. The reason this is ok is because there isn't a direct path to the air tank itself, the air is going through your regulator first. With the nipple it is a direct link to your tank and is the full unregulated 3000 PSI.
Edward Thomas Cigar: 104 Limestone Plaza Fayettville, the only place with a proper lounge to buy and smoke well kept premium and rare cigars in syracuse.
Cousins paintball: Top of the line tourny and rec. fields and gear http://www.playpaintball.com/

Professional Internet Poster Sponsered by,
Sean "SP marketing dude" Scott: DESTROYER OF SPECIAL OPS 4 EVAH!

#23 User is offline   SHRIMPED! 

• Sophomore Member
  • PipPipPip
  • Brigade Name:SHRIMPED!

Posted 01 October 2007 - 06:41 PM

My old local (UK) field was a self-fill station, only did 2.5k mind...

But still it isn't exactly hard... attach tank via fill nipple, turn valve to fill tank (slowly), close valve, release trapped air in the main tank, release tank. Done.

#24 User is offline   JAGER TIGER 

• Village Sniper
  • PipPip
  • Brigade Name:JAGER TIGER

Posted 08 October 2007 - 06:34 PM

good reminder but now the self fill station scares me more then ever
In Russia Waldo finds you

#25 User is offline   SubcutaneousPain 

• Forum Newbie
  • Pip

Post icon  Posted 10 October 2007 - 06:44 AM

I can't stand HPA tanks, they look waaay too dangerous in the wrong hands (i don't want a guy with one of those in front of me ha).

When i started paintball i was told the way to oil your C02 gun was to put a few drops of gun oil into the spot on your gun where the C02 tank screws in (not sure of the technical definition heh) then fire 5-7 "dry" shots....

is that a bad idea? or is it only with HPA?

#26 User is offline   10-shot kid 

• Sophomore Member
  • PipPipPip

Posted 11 October 2007 - 03:01 PM

once again,

I've been droping a drop or oil or two into the ASA threads in order to lubricate my gun for years without a problem. The reason this is ok is because there isn't a direct path to the air tank itself, the air is going through your regulator first. With the nipple it is a direct link to your tank and is the full unregulated 3000 PSI.

ASA=where tank screws into gun

The use of oil with HPA tanks is ONLY dangerous if it's placed on the fill nipple. That's the little thing that sticks out that you plug a hose onto in order to fill the tank. That nipple is a DIRECT line into your HPA tank. In other words that little nipple is recieving all 3000-4000 pounds per square inch of pressure. The thing air passage to the part that screws into your gun on the other hand is an INDIRECT line to your tank because it goes through a regulator.

Your also not pushing air through this regulator in order to fill your tank, air is only coming out. Explosions occur inside the tank when a spark gets inside of it and starts a fire. The resulting burst of pressure is extreamly fast and more than your tank can handle. Thus your tank explodes before counter measures kick in and everyone is angry with you.

Personally I think Co2 tanks are far more dangrous than HPA tanks, they are simply less strong, hold equal pressure, and have killed people in the past.
Edward Thomas Cigar: 104 Limestone Plaza Fayettville, the only place with a proper lounge to buy and smoke well kept premium and rare cigars in syracuse.
Cousins paintball: Top of the line tourny and rec. fields and gear http://www.playpaintball.com/

Professional Internet Poster Sponsered by,
Sean "SP marketing dude" Scott: DESTROYER OF SPECIAL OPS 4 EVAH!

#27 User is offline   SubcutaneousPain 

• Forum Newbie
  • Pip

Posted 11 October 2007 - 03:17 PM

thanks.

of course with my Tippmann c-3 i bought (and just received in the mail)... i'm not sure how i'm going to oil it heh... i could put the oil into the ASA, but the propane goes into a combustion chamber and i have this feeling the oil would burn in there ;).... the other option i guess is to take it apart and drop some oil in various places...

the manual that came with it doesn't specify how to oil it... just mentions vaguely "oiling" it :huh:

eh, this isn't the right place to ask that... (maybe i'll just call up tippmann) but oh well.

#28 User is offline   stolz 

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Brigade Name:STOLZ

Posted 11 October 2007 - 03:37 PM

great thread everyone should take a read

#29 User is offline   haddieman 

• Forum Newbie
  • Pip
  • Brigade Name:haddieman

Posted 11 October 2007 - 04:14 PM

to 10-shot: thanks for the thread, awsome palmer

#30 User is offline   Dingo 

• Forum Newbie
  • Pip
  • Brigade Name:That Asian Kid

Posted 23 October 2007 - 03:36 PM

The field i play at has a self fill station. most people seem to be pretty smart about using it. it has a push button setup with a quick disconnect and won't fill more then 4500 or 3000 (there are two different setups next to each other). however it won't stop people from dropping oil into their nipple like stated.

It used to be that there was always a ref there. but you know how local paintball field refs are. usually they are the same kids that play there and sometimes don't pay attention to much detail.

Although we've not had any problems yet with hpa tanks or co2 tanks goin off... it can still happen.

Good to know not to stick your tank in the trunk. I've been doing that but only in the morning and later in the evening when it's getting dark out. cuz normally I play all day. and I usually keep about 1000 psi in it or a full fill sometimes but it slowly leaks out after a few weeks.

I am however going to blue locktite my tank together. The field I go to normally uses red locktite to keep them secure but that last time my bro's tank was busted and had to be fixed because of the locktite they coulding get the reg off. Blue locktite will work just as well but also be able to come off. (only with the help of a wrench).

definately a good read.
Team: Waynesville 1337 (aka "the 1337").
Position: Sabre/sniper and sometimes the "hero"
Setup: see brigade page.

Team field : www.lofpb.com

Share this topic:

• (3 Pages)
  • +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users