• You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

No chrono, so how to stay safe?

#1 User is offline   Mayonnaise 

• Not sure what I am!
  • PipPip
  • Group: Members

Posted 07 August 2007 - 12:03 PM

Our outlaw group needs a chrono. My friend turned his gun all the way up last time, and I got on him for it. He turned it down, but he hit me, and he was still shooting hot. I almost yelled at him, and he turned it down. Mine is shooting a little hot, everyone's gun is. But we've had paintballs break skin. We need a chrono, no doubt. But how should we measure or keep our guns down until then? I'm turning mine all the way down, then turning it up a bit to see where I can get enough velocity to be safe. Dunno how good it will work.
Christian paintballer for life!

I'm a gun totin' scripture quotin' truck lovin' war shovin' meat eatin' liberal beatin' CONSERVATIVE!-THE MENACE
Proud anti-rapper and Christian rock/metal lover! I'm sticking with the 2% here!
98% of people have 98% and 2% in their signature. If you're one of the 2% who doesn't, put this in your sig.
If your parents do not buy you your gear, put this in your sig.

#2 User is offline   UWANNAGO 

• Im kind of a big deal, people know me
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Moderators
  • Brigade Name:UWANNAGO

Posted 07 August 2007 - 12:06 PM

Invest in handheld chrono.

Just get 6 guys to chip in 5-10 bucks and you can get one and keep everyone else out there safe.

Peace,
Teddy K

#3 User is offline   undeadmouse 

• Look! An undead mouse!
  • PipPipPip
  • Brigade Name:undeadmouse

Posted 07 August 2007 - 12:10 PM

^^^^^^^^^^
Hit it right on the nose.

Hide in shame from my lack of aim! - Pump Member 112 (It's been over 2 years, okay?) ...blah dropped to 54% shot efficiency.
I'm back from a long long long time of no paintball, drooling over markers older then I am.

#4 User is offline   motoguy1251 

• Mustache Afficianado
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • Brigade Name:motoguy1251

Posted 07 August 2007 - 12:11 PM

If you have a local field or shop stop there from time to time and see if you can just chrono.
1Ill be on you like white on rice in a glass of milk on a paper plate in a snow storm!!
2Games: Americas Army, Battlefield 2,2142,1942,vietnam,Fear, CSS,Red Orchestra,DOD, Oblivion,GaryMod,more

#5 User is offline   BlueDragonX 

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Brigade Name:BlueDragonX

Posted 07 August 2007 - 12:19 PM

View Postmotoguy1251, on Aug 7 2007, 02:11 PM, said:

If you have a local field or shop stop there from time to time and see if you can just chrono.

That's still not such a great idea, especially if some of you are running CO2. Markers on CO2 are going to change velocity as it gets warmer or cooler.

If you disassemble your markers to clean them then you almost always need to get rechrono'd afterwards.

The only way to be sure you're playing safe is to chrono a couple of times throughout the day. And that means having a chrono. Pick up a handheld. They're the cost of a case of paint. Put off playing for a month to buy the chrono if you can't afford one.

Ghost Recon - Chord Mag - E-Mag - Stiffi vs. C-Series
"Smart Parts, Debunking Sir Isaac Newton one paintball at a time." -Arstron (on AO)

#6 User is offline   motoguy1251 

• Mustache Afficianado
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • Brigade Name:motoguy1251

Posted 07 August 2007 - 12:23 PM

Its better than not chronoing at all.
1Ill be on you like white on rice in a glass of milk on a paper plate in a snow storm!!
2Games: Americas Army, Battlefield 2,2142,1942,vietnam,Fear, CSS,Red Orchestra,DOD, Oblivion,GaryMod,more

#7 User is offline   Puzuma 

• That is not dead which can eternal lie,
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Administrators
  • Brigade Name:Puzuma

Posted 07 August 2007 - 12:26 PM

Easiest way to do it with out a chrono is the "self hit test". How it works: You arrive at the field with your pals, each fires there marker from the same spot at the same target. Next step is to take person A's marker, put him at the target and shoot him with his own gun. Three shots. If he/you think it hurts, turn it down. Do this a few times throughout the day. It's not a guarantee to stop people from shooting hot, but it's a good deterrent.
Posted Image
That is not dead which can eternal lie,And with strange aeons even death may die.

#8 User is offline   Capone5 

• Worlds best Paintballer
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • Brigade Name:CAPONE5

Posted 07 August 2007 - 12:40 PM

View PostPuzuma, on Aug 7 2007, 03:26 PM, said:

Easiest way to do it with out a chrono is the "self hit test". How it works: You arrive at the field with your pals, each fires there marker from the same spot at the same target. Next step is to take person A's marker, put him at the target and shoot him with his own gun. Three shots. If he/you think it hurts, turn it down. Do this a few times throughout the day. It's not a guarantee to stop people from shooting hot, but it's a good deterrent.

Why does that sound unsafe and possibly dangerous and none the less stupid.
You can get cronos for as low as 39$ these days(you get what you pay for but its still safer than nothing)
Id say thats better than some one with three bleeding welts.....

This post has been edited by Capone5: 07 August 2007 - 12:42 PM

CDI- Capone Defense Inc. 2010 CLF

#9 User is offline   Steed 

• PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 07 August 2007 - 12:41 PM

You don't you all chip in a buy a chrono.

#10 User is offline   Puzuma 

• That is not dead which can eternal lie,
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Administrators
  • Brigade Name:Puzuma

Posted 07 August 2007 - 12:49 PM

View PostCapone5, on Aug 7 2007, 03:40 PM, said:

View PostPuzuma, on Aug 7 2007, 03:26 PM, said:

Why does that sound unsafe and possibly dangerous and none the less stupid.
You can get cronos for as low as 39$ these days(you get what you pay for but its still safer than nothing)
Id say thats better than some one with three bleeding welts.....

Yeah it may sound unsafe and stupid, but if you know your marker is cranked to the max are you going to want to be shot by it? I probably should have given a distance for them to stand too, say 50-60 feet away.
Posted Image
That is not dead which can eternal lie,And with strange aeons even death may die.

#11 User is offline   Mayonnaise 

• Not sure what I am!
  • PipPip

Posted 07 August 2007 - 12:51 PM

I've gotten a bleeding neck hit before-no fun. Coulda broke my friends finger too-but it hit his knuckle. I think I'm going to insist we buy a chrono, at our local SA.
Christian paintballer for life!

I'm a gun totin' scripture quotin' truck lovin' war shovin' meat eatin' liberal beatin' CONSERVATIVE!-THE MENACE
Proud anti-rapper and Christian rock/metal lover! I'm sticking with the 2% here!
98% of people have 98% and 2% in their signature. If you're one of the 2% who doesn't, put this in your sig.
If your parents do not buy you your gear, put this in your sig.

#12 User is offline   Capone5 

• Worlds best Paintballer
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • Brigade Name:CAPONE5

Posted 07 August 2007 - 12:54 PM

True but say if the person doesnt like the person down range.... and many spyders,piranhas(a good portion of outlaw people are using low end stuff) and low end guns are extremely easy to crank the velocity up no tools are needed all they would have to do is turn the knob a bit and bang the person down range is in pain.....still not a good idea....

If worse comes to worse and you cant make it to walmart to get the 39$ Crono do the old cardboard test.

Take box of paint. empty of course

If your gun shoots through both sides your over 300
and if it goes through one side your under 300 if im not mistaken thats the rule of thumb and is usually accurate. Id go run a quick test with my crono and a box but I must be off to work.
CDI- Capone Defense Inc. 2010 CLF

#13 User is offline   Millslane 

• i give up
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Brigade Name:Millslane

Posted 07 August 2007 - 12:58 PM

I think you need to demand you get a chrono.

i would never play with a chrono present and every players using it. its just not worth the risk!

#14 User is offline   AaronC 

• PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 07 August 2007 - 01:01 PM

If you are playing outlaw the $10 you are saving in field fees can go towards the chrono if you can afford to play paintball you can afford to do it safely.

#15 User is offline   druid 

• Celtic Warrior - Mo Anam Cara
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • Brigade Name:druidsdecendant

Posted 07 August 2007 - 01:39 PM

Your original thread question: No chrono, so how to stay safe?
The ONLY acceptable answer: Then don't play.

If you cannot play the game safely then don't play...and I don't want to hear any crap about "well...if it doesn't break sheet-rock at ____ feet......" - we did that 20 years ago but it was the ONLY way we had to measure speed.

Today, there's no reason not to have a chrono. Lack of funds is no excuse. You can buy a $70 case of paint+CO2/hpa...you can afford a decent chrono.

Enough said [/thread]
Warped A5; M98; 68 Magnum w/ AGD 6-Pack, Automaggot #92 Custom Modder #5
"Political correctness is a doctrine, fostered by a delusional, illogical minority, and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a turd by the clean end."
I got my OWN smiley...

Share this topic:

• (2 Pages)
  • +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users