• This topic is locked

Sniping when to shoot Rate Topic: -----

#16 User is offline   Midnight Phenom 

• The Midnight Phenom
  • PipPipPip
  • Group: Members
  • Brigade Name:midnight phenom

Posted 31 July 2007 - 10:50 AM

ace ur wrong dude u should shoot them when there leavin u...in the back...any sniper will tell u the same

#17 User is offline   NOOBIEJUDGE 

• ^^^ OH YEEEEEAAAAAHHHH
  • PipPip

Posted 29 August 2007 - 12:26 PM

:ghillie: He s right the best time is after they are past you :ghillie:

#18 User is offline   Feathers 

• GM1 (SW)
  • PipPip
  • Brigade Name:Feathers

Posted 29 August 2007 - 03:32 PM

Lets try not to dissolve into a wad of banter that is best left alone.

The universally accepted lingo is 'When the OPFOR is leaving the sniper's position.' That is understandably and obviously vague, and I think it is safe to say that there is no hard-line feet-and-inches definition on purpose - peoples' gear and their skill will make the 'sweet spot' different depending on who is behind the trigger.

Personally - I'd rather -not- hit the OPFOR at my parallel because to my target, it will be very obvious where I am shooting from (the target's opposite ear won't be hearing much, but his near ear will hear the whole muzzle report - narrows where I am down quite a bit). When they are slightly -past- me, my muzzle report will be more evenly diveded between their listening ears, making pinpointing me by my muzzle report that much more difficult.

However, as long as the sniper in question hits the OPFOR 'as they are leaving his position,' whatever you want to define that as - he is making the wisest, most tactically sound and productive choice, for his position.

-Feathers
'To be prepared for the eventuality of war, is one of the most effective means of preserving peace.' - Gen. George W. Washington, 1st President of the United States.

#19 User is offline   Mack 

• Forum Member
  • PipPip

Posted 29 August 2007 - 07:39 PM

Feathers - Well said.
-95% of people with a flatline think it makes the gun inaccurate; if you are the part of the other 5%, who take the time to sit down and tune it right, put this in your sig.

#20 User is offline   STAZ211 

• Do it........i dare you
  • PipPipPip
  • Brigade Name:STAZ211

Posted 31 August 2007 - 08:07 AM

it depends on your gun and your skill. most wont take a shot from more than 25-30yrds away, but ive taken shots form up twords 65yrds (no lie) and gotten hits. you just have to know your gun and how it shoots.
"Let he who desires peace prepare for war..."

"Home of the free, because of the brave..."

#21 User is offline   G36C 

• Sophomore Member
  • PipPipPip
  • Brigade Name:G36C

Posted 11 September 2007 - 02:18 PM

the best distance is one that you are confident you can make the shoot from. if you think you only have a 25% chance of a hit wait until the target gets closer. also if you shoot them in the back even if it doesn't break you can get a few more shots off before they can turn around or run for cover.

This post has been edited by G36C: 11 September 2007 - 02:22 PM

A5 I Opsgear SAW Shroud I Opsgear SAW Drum Mag I Opsgear SAW Stock I Opsgear 16" M4 Barrel I APE v2.0 Egrip I Techted Cyclone I Polished Internals I X7 Hopper I Tasco 30mm Red Dot I Palmers A5 Stabilizer I Tiberius Arms Fore Grip I

#22 User is offline   Assasin2213 

• Computer Tech & Love Guru
  • PipPipPip
  • Brigade Name:ASSASIN2213

Posted 13 September 2007 - 07:02 AM

But if the shot hits them in the back and doesnt break, you need to buy some better paint. Snipers should be able to pull of one shot kills without paint bounces. But my say is that when they are leaving you, the farther they are away, the better i say.
04 RX8 is my baby

#23 User is offline   Mankiller 

• Freshman Member... WOO Class of 2011!!!
  • PipPip
  • Brigade Name:mankiller10

Posted 13 September 2007 - 03:37 PM

i wouldn't say the Farther they are, but the closer they are unless they are within about 10 yards. If they are closer than 10 yards ill leave em be till they get farther away so they hear less but with more accuracy than shooting as far away as you can.
Sniper/Marksmen #75
In Loving memory, 9/11/01
Blaming guns on killing people is like blaming my pencil for a mispelled word.

#24 User is offline   Warpaint 

• "Well...Shall We?"
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • Brigade Name:Warpaint537

Posted 13 September 2007 - 05:16 PM

View PostCo-1, on Jul 28 2007, 04:23 PM, said:

I am a new sniper and i always open up too soon what is the best distance to fire from? :D

I come across this post every once in a while, and as I have thought about it, there isn't any one answer to this question. When you decide to shoot is a completely conditional situation based on several variables, such as your position in relation to your target, atmospheric conditions, line of sight, odds of detection and available cover, marker limitations, initial, subsequent, and contingent mission objectives, and other targets of opportunity among other considerations, but probably most importantly, the skills and experience of the shooter.

When you fail, it is important to identify and assess the root causals of your failure. You say you always shoot too soon, but how so, and why do YOU think you do that? Do you mean your targets are too far away for your marker and you end up revealing your position? Do you mean you are too anxious and miss opportunities for additional targets? If your failures are skills or technique related, building familiarity with your equipment and practice are the solution to learning your capabilities and what is beyond you. If your failures are due to anxiety or excitement, only experience will build your confidence, a cool head under stress, and the patient steadiness required of the sniper in the field.

Get yourself a small notebook, and keep track of your field performance. Anything you earnestly seek to improve must be measured. Record the things you do well, and the things you would like to do better. The next time in the field, apply some focus to the things you want to do better at. Compare this trip in the field to the last. Did you improve? If so, continue what you are doing, and maybe work on the next couple of opportunities for improvement. If not, try and understand why. Was it because you had a bad improvement plan, or that you really didn't stick to your plan once you inserted into the field? Be prepared to toss ideas that sound good, but don't yield consistent results, and move on to the next idea.

If you can, maybe a buddy (a nice job for a spotter, or sniper in training) can give you a more objective assessment of your play. Focus on constructive criticism, and accept the criticism or idea without judging before you try it. That keeps things honest, avoids arguments, and fosters an environment that yields many ideas and avoids missing any that might deliver results. If you're going to be a successful sniper, you have to avoid building boundaries for yourself or allowing others to construct them for you, and learn to improvise play to each situation you're presented with. It's better to practice or build skills and techniques, as opposed to scenarios or situations, because situations and field conditions are static...your skills should be solid and consistent. If one unanticipated event occurs, the plan must change, and if you are locked into the plan and have not learned to improvise, you go down with the plan. A plan is a good thing, but you don't need to go down with the ship when it capsizes. Once you have developed your skills or technique to their potential, you have more to work with and more to improvise from, and you will perform better regardless of the circumstances. Good luck.
"All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing." ~ Edmund Burke ~ "Well...shall we?" ~ Hoot, Black Hawk Down
Posted Image

#25 User is offline   The Scout 

• Penny for the gurney
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • Brigade Name:The Scout

Posted 17 September 2007 - 03:58 PM

Umm, usually the easiest way to hit whatever your shooting at is when you know you can, works everytime for me.
Official Pump Owner #98
"Maybe God keeps us on earth, just like we have beef farms for cows. Then, when we die he eats us... I just freaked myself out. Be right back, I gotta go pray"-Kook

#26 User is offline   Reb 

• Forum Member
  • PipPip
  • Brigade Name:No brigade affiliation

Posted 19 September 2007 - 10:32 AM

Snipers have the patience to wait for perfect shots but can't take the time to type words like "You," "Your," and "You're"

Interesting, but not why I'm posting.

------When to shoot?

I'm in agreement with those who say "When they're leaving your position" ie, walking PAST you, as long as we're talking about a single player.
If you've got a solitary player whose approaching your position, it may be best to lay in wait until his back is to you, this allows you greater opportunity for a second shot, should you screw the first one up, which happens, no matter how much of a "master sniper" you may be.

This tactic doesn't lend itself to much success though when you're dealing with a larger group of players.

I don't play the 'sniper' position, I'd rather work with a team, but what I understand based on what I've gathered from this forum, alot of you try to stay as close to the 'sniper' role as possible, by limiting your ammunition, firepower, etc. If you're waiting in 'ambush' and 3 or 4 players walk past you, it is in your best interest to NOT take a shot. You might hit one of them, but odds are, you're gonna get pegged from the 3 other markers. Either that, or you'll end up DD-ing out of there as quick as your little legs can carry you. Remember, since you haven't got the range advantage, if you can hit me, I can hit you.

Probably the smartest thing I've ever seen a 'sniper' do was take to his heels after he popped a few rounds off at my team of 4 guys. He didn't hit anyone, but he realized fast that he was outgunned, and was probably going to make a run for the dead zone before too long if he stuck around. He took off, and when we followed him, he was gone. He might still be running for all I know, or he used his ghillie to go on the defensive and pray that we didn't see him. Either way, he wasn't a threat anymore.

This is why, when dealing with a team that works together, you working as a single operative is the most detrimental thing you can do for your team. Work in close conjunction with your team. You aren't going to pin down or eliminate a whole squad of guys on your own. In the 9 years I"ve been playing, I've never seen it happen.

But I've sort of digressed here. When do you take your shot if indeed you must? Basically, exactly when every other player on the field does- When its an open shot, and it won't compromise the integrity of your position or your ambush.

Vague? Sure, but each scenario should be taken on a case by case basis, not lumped together under an umbrella rule.

This post has been edited by Reb: 19 September 2007 - 10:33 AM

I have never been shot by a player in a ghillie suit.

#27 User is offline   B-boo 

• Behold the Proteus.
  • PipPip
  • Brigade Name:B-Boo

Posted 25 September 2007 - 07:01 PM

View PostCo-1, on Jul 28 2007, 03:23 PM, said:

I am a new sniper and i always open up too soon what is the best distance to fire from? :)

Paintball sniping is not about how far away you can be from a target and still hit it. It is about being able to get accurate, aim once, shoot once, hit once shots from a range that is close enough to ensure that you will get your kill with minimal detection and minimal missing. Many people use the word 'marksman' and though it is mostly the same as 'sniper' it might be a better term for paintball sniping. And as many have said, shoot as they are walking away from you if possible.
"Be not afraid of greatness: some are born great, others achieve greatness, and some have greatness thrust upon them."- William Shakespeare

PTI Certified Basic Airsmith #2773 : UE Paintball Club Member

#28 User is offline   Assasin2213 

• Computer Tech & Love Guru
  • PipPipPip
  • Brigade Name:ASSASIN2213

Posted 02 October 2007 - 06:36 AM

View PostReb, on Sep 19 2007, 12:32 PM, said:

Snipers have the patience to wait for perfect shots but can't take the time to type words like "You," "Your," and "You're"

Interesting

so just cause we dont take the time like the rest of society,what are we now, lazy snipers?
04 RX8 is my baby

#29 User is offline   Reb 

• Forum Member
  • PipPip
  • Brigade Name:No brigade affiliation

Posted 02 October 2007 - 02:16 PM

View PostAssasin2213, on Oct 2 2007, 06:36 AM, said:

Interesting

so just cause we dont take the time like the rest of society,what are we now, lazy snipers?

No, all I'm saying is that you all verbally pride yourselves on patience, stealth and a superior mindset, but can't take the time to throw in an apostrophe or an extra letter or two? Its tough to take someone seriously when they say something like: "U shoot when ur target is close to you but not close enough for him to see u."
I have never been shot by a player in a ghillie suit.

#30 User is offline   The Scout 

• Penny for the gurney
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • Brigade Name:The Scout

Posted 07 October 2007 - 03:53 PM

View PostAssasin2213, on Oct 2 2007, 09:36 AM, said:

Interesting

Duh, everyone knows snipers are lazy. They just wear their ghillie because they just want to be left alone and sleep. :laugh:

This post has been edited by The Scout: 07 October 2007 - 03:54 PM

Official Pump Owner #98
"Maybe God keeps us on earth, just like we have beef farms for cows. Then, when we die he eats us... I just freaked myself out. Be right back, I gotta go pray"-Kook

Share this topic:

• (3 Pages)
  • +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • This topic is locked

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users