• You cannot reply to this topic

ANOTHER Crye Combat shirt review wohoo!

#1 User is offline   Mace203 

• Forum Member
  • PipPip
  • Group: Members
  • Brigade Name:Captain Mace

Posted 18 July 2007 - 11:45 PM

Hi all. As many of you can tell, I have since last November been slowly bulding up reserves of money to buy A full set of Crye's field gear. As far as quality goes, you can't do much better, as this small Brooklyn based company's uniforms are on par with my father's MarPat cammies, (though the effectiveness of Crye's camo pattern is questioned by some.) Well last week a friend of mine ordered a combat shirt, and found it to be not to his liking(he didnt like the loss of bagginess it gave him, and decided the compression fit wasn't for him.) Instead of returning it to Crye however, he offered the package to me for $60 and a trade of some gun parts etc., which I quickly snapped up.
Posted Image

The Crye Combat Shirt is desighned to be worn under a combat vest, and as such is made mostly out of a microfiber/ under armour type cloth which would shred easily in the woods without protection. If you're a pod-pack player, stop reading here. This is not for you.

When I got home, I took it back out of its packaging and installed the elbow pads. This was a bit difficult, as the pad is slightly too large for the pad hole, but most of the pad is made out of foam, so I eventually managed to shove them into place. When I put it on, I found it a bit hard to get through, but when I had put it completely on I found it to fit quite nicely, though it feels slightly tighter than UA compression gear(which turns out to be a good thing.. I'm about 5'10", 145lbs. I dont have any fat on me, but I have little muscle either.(working on that :) ) The Medium Long size fits me perfectly.

I then took out my vest and tried out the fit. the first thing I noticed was that I needed to adjust the sizing! The combat shirt is much thinner than your average BDU, and as such you may experience more shifting of your vest than usual. Other than that, there was no problem in shifting from the field shirt to the combat shirt. The arm pockets were bigger than I thought they were, almost the same size as a standard BDU pocket. I did notice it felt slightly cooler than usual under my vest, and I think I have the microfiber body to thank for that. The arm fabric is made of MIL-PRF-MCCUU 50% Nylon 50% Cotton lightweight twill sleeves, and the elbow covering is double stitched to provide extra protection. The cuff has a unique shape, where the palm side is slightly shorter than the opposite side, so that the shirt and your hand kind of meld together. It closes with velcro, and opens up almost all the way to your elbow, to aid in the adjustment of the pads (more on that later), but can also facilitate cooling on hot days. The Garment istself is very light, and feels somewhere between UA Coldgear and a MilSpec BDU.Posted Image
See the empty space?
Posted Image
Image of the cuff fully open.

One thing I was really eager to test out were the elbow pads. I put on my pb kneepads over my jeans, and went from coruched to prone slowly. When I noticed some slight shifting, I undid the molded cuff and reached into the sleve to adjust the elbow pad. The elbow pad stays in the sleeve by attaching to some super strong velcro, and attaches to your forearm via an elastic band. I tightened the pads and tried again, this time they worked perfectly. The cap sections of the pads are slightly rubberized, while the rest of the pad is made of a bendable foam. This allows a lot of venting to go on on your shirt, and I didn't notice excessive sweating from my elbow to my arm.
Posted Image
The elbow pads work REALLY well.
Notice the cuff opening extends down to the elbow.

By the way, any GRAW fans out there should be forewarned not to try Captain Mitchell's superman dive. Yes, I tried this, and though the elbow pads kept in place and kept me safe, doing a dive on concrete is not a pleasurable experience. However, on grass and mud, you will hardly feel a thing, and I encourage you to re-enact your favorite graw scenes there. Back to the review.
Posted Image
Big no-no on concrete

I took my Combat shirt into its initation game at our outlaw field, "nowhere" on Thursday. Though it was about 90 degrees outside, I could feel it keeping me cool all day. I never hesitated to jump down to prone, something I would have only done slowly on dirt or leaves before. I even got one of my three kills first game in the prone position (a gog shot, no less) a testament to the camouflage's effectiveness and the shirt's effectiveness itself.
Posted Image
Goes prone and blends really well

I really can't think of anything bad to say about this shirt, except for the high price, and that you can't wear it without a covering(ie; vest). I only bought it because my friend offered me a steal of a deal. Nobody NEEDS a $115 shirt for paintball, and you can find a cheaper multicam set elsewhere, though you will sacrifice a little quality. However, if you absolutely MUST have a set from crye, I reccommend buying the combat shirt over the field shirt, as it exceeds its field cousin in just about every way. Besides, any shirt that was built for soldiers whose lives depend on their gear easily stands up to any rigor that paintball can throw at it.
You can get cheaper multicam, and cheaper elbow pads, but as an all inclusive package, this beats out any combination of items you can buy.
Posted Image
A really good buy, though it would have been too expensive for me in another case.

This post has been edited by Mace203: 18 July 2007 - 11:46 PM

#2 User is offline   Swamp Thing 

• PipPipPipPip
  • Brigade Name:SwampThing666

Posted 19 July 2007 - 08:52 AM

Thanks for teh review. I really want to consider the Cry multicam both shirt and pants but they are redoing the combat pants right now and they will not have the new design up untill fall or winter (Called Cry Myself). I really like the integrated elbow and knee pad design.

Swamp
Captain Underground Mod Shop Special Operations Guerrillas U.M.S.S.O.G.
SPPL 2nd Place Rookie Division 2008 @ Bearclaw
Executive Officer of the 352nd Panzenjagers OK D Day (2008)
CO of the 709th Artillerie Regiment, OK D Day (2009)

#3 User is offline   jtpaintball70 

• Stock-Class player
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • Brigade Name:JTPaintball70

Posted 19 July 2007 - 10:43 AM

Looks good. I really want to get a full Crye setup soon :laugh:
☻/ This is Muhammad.
/▌ 
/ \ Copy and paste him

#4 User is offline   Z3R0 

• Spontaneous Hate Machine
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Brigade Name:Z3R0 (Sledgehammer)

Posted 19 July 2007 - 11:01 AM

Wow, thanks for those pictures. I've heard that MultiCam works in the woods about as well or better than Woodland, but there are few good pictures of MultiCam in living forests (most of the forest shots on Crye's website are in dry or dead forests), but with those pictures it really shows its effectiveness. Those should help me convince my skeptical friends :laugh:.

-Z3R0
Posted Image
Lapco Grey Ghost 2008, Classic Automag, PM8, 06 Cyborg

#5 User is offline   paintball7410 

• headshot
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Brigade Name:snipingmadcow

Posted 19 July 2007 - 11:25 AM

looks killer sounds like you got a good deal.

#6 User is offline   Mace203 

• Forum Member
  • PipPip

Posted 19 July 2007 - 05:01 PM

View PostZ3R0, on Jul 19 2007, 02:01 PM, said:

Wow, thanks for those pictures. I've heard that MultiCam works in the woods about as well or better than Woodland, but there are few good pictures of MultiCam in living forests (most of the forest shots on Crye's website are in dry or dead forests), but with those pictures it really shows its effectiveness. Those should help me convince my skeptical friends B).

-Z3R0

I've got a few more, if you're interested;
Posted Image

Posted Image
No, I am not the guy on the left.

Posted Image

Posted Image

This post has been edited by Mace203: 19 July 2007 - 05:01 PM

#7 User is offline   Z3R0 

• Spontaneous Hate Machine
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Brigade Name:Z3R0 (Sledgehammer)

Posted 19 July 2007 - 05:09 PM

Wow, it actually does look a little more effective. I wasn't sure because almost non of Crye's photos have the guy standing in a shadow, and I've been told that if you're in the forest that's the only time it really works well, since in the light it appears really brown overall. But in that first pic it does look green tinted and more effective than the woodland... also in the second I think I know where you are, but I'm not sure. In the third it looks amazing, and it looks also awesome in the last. Thanks for the pics :dry:.

-Z3R0
Posted Image
Lapco Grey Ghost 2008, Classic Automag, PM8, 06 Cyborg

#8 User is offline   Pzippy 

• Future Pope
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • Brigade Name:Pzippy

Posted 19 July 2007 - 06:03 PM

Looks great man, but around here, S.O. digi/Marpat seems to blend in more.
AO Search HEMOG

I WANT YOUR XBOX 360!

#9 User is offline   Mace203 

• Forum Member
  • PipPip

Posted 19 July 2007 - 06:41 PM

Yeah, Multicam doesn't work everywhere, though if you're in the right areas, it works amazingly.. Another good reason to check before dropping $200 or more on a set.

#10 User is offline   hellstorm117 

• Forum Member
  • PipPip
  • Brigade Name:hellstorm117

Posted 23 July 2007 - 10:38 AM

I just got a pair of Crye pants, not the awesome ones with the kneepads but the next step down $$$ :rolleyes:

They work so good! its really strange how they seem to blend with almost everything. especialy dead grass and tan stuff and also how they work in a jungle like area. I am dying to get more multicam stuff. I have the spec ops 2 pod dropleg in multicam too.

Multicam is (in my opinion) the best pattern of all, by far. Im going to paint my A5 multicam as soon as I get time
slip out the back before they know you were there

#11 User is offline   Mace203 

• Forum Member
  • PipPip

Posted 23 July 2007 - 12:13 PM

Be careful when trying to paint in MC. If you get it wrong, it just makes it stand out more. Also, dont forget to pick your hiding spots well; now that you're using a primarily brown camouflage, you'll stand out slightly more than MARPAT or woodland if you're trying to hide in a light green area.

#12 User is offline   The Shepherd 

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Brigade Name:The Shepherd

Posted 03 October 2007 - 01:48 PM

View PostMace203, on Jul 23 2007, 02:13 PM, said:

Be careful when trying to paint in MC. If you get it wrong, it just makes it stand out more. Also, dont forget to pick your hiding spots well; now that you're using a primarily brown camouflage, you'll stand out slightly more than MARPAT or woodland if you're trying to hide in a light green area.

But try using those green dominants in the browner areas. They stand out like a sore thumb. Thanks for the pics, I was wondering how Multicam would work in woodland, and this cleared it up. You don't mind if I photoshop you onto a picture of my forest do you?

#13 User is offline   wargames 

• Eat, sleep, bleed the paint
  • PipPipPip
  • Brigade Name:WARGAMES

Posted 07 February 2008 - 12:45 PM

YOU ANSWERED all my questions. I have an R6 multicam shirt and love it. I wasn't sure how the CB shirt would work. Problem solved. Great work.
60 bucks, thats a robbery.

:question: Did you buy your other stuff off the Crye site? They seem to be always out of stock. Great stuff.

Great pics. :D

This post has been edited by wargames: 09 February 2008 - 12:54 PM

I am the Paintball Stig
Do not pain searching for identity, learn to live in your period of history as a human being.
Society accepts tyranny because it fears uncertainty.

#14 User is offline   zanna82 

• Forum Newbie
  • Pip

Posted 25 August 2008 - 10:21 AM

You sell the combat shirt ? I would be interested to acquire NEW some or M/R or M/L are disposed to pay 200$ more expenses than shipment

#15 User is offline   jake9095 

• Forum Member
  • PipPip

Posted 28 March 2010 - 09:22 PM

Very nice! :tup:

Share this topic:

• (2 Pages)
  • +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

2 User(s) are reading this topic