Motorcycle Discussion Thread

#61 User is offline   jtpaintball70 

• Stock-Class player
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Members
  • Brigade Name:JTPaintball70

Posted 19 September 2007 - 04:44 PM

View PostSplat Pack, on Sep 19 2007, 12:18 PM, said:

yeah, it's me. i love taking the supermoto on a roadrace course because it's so satisfying making a 150hp GSXR look like it's standing still in the corners. :laugh: i get eaten up on the straights but then i have so much fun chasing them down in the tight sections of the track.

i wear the orange vest because i'm a control rider. i help the newer, less experienced riders around the track. :happy:

Cool. I am starting to help out at the local track as a corner worker, and once I get my EMT-B cert in Dec, they want me to be a corner medic :D That means free trackdays in my future :D I hope to get good enough to be a control rider someday.

And I know what you mean about corners. I ride an EX650R, so in straights I have nothing, but corners I'm pretty good at flinging that bike around, so I can make some bigger SS bikes feel jealous :D
☻/ This is Muhammad.
/▌ 
/ \ Copy and paste him

#62 User is offline   jtpaintball70 

• Stock-Class player
  • PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 19 September 2007 - 04:46 PM

View PostMarauder_Pilot, on Sep 19 2007, 12:31 PM, said:

View Postjtpaintball70, on Sep 19 2007, 11:05 AM, said:

View PostMarauder_Pilot, on Sep 19 2007, 12:02 PM, said:

If my textbook sale goes well, I'll be taking a beginner course in a month or so. Woo!

Also, what would you guys recommend for a better stater bike (In terms of handling, insurance and all that): The Honda CMX250C Rebel or CBR125R?

Because you can get the 125R up there I refuse to talk to you! I would love to have that bike :laugh:

But seriously, I'd go with the 125R if you can stand the ergos for it... but I'm not big on cruisers

Heh, Whitehorse, a town of 20,000, has 5 sport vehicle stores (Honda dealership, 3 independent dealers and a Harley dealer).

By ergos do you mean the ergonomics, as in how I like the feel of the bike? I haven't ridden a sport bike before (I've ridden my family's Yamaha...something dirtbike and my friend's GX250 Marauder (Which I might also consider-and, no, not just for the name)).

Actually, a more general question: What's better for a beginner-a 250CC cruiser or a 125-250 Sport Bike?

Yep, that's what I meant by ergos. Have you sat on either bike yet? I know when I was deciding between my 650R and an SV650S, it came down to sitting on both and the 650R just felt right to me.

As for which is better.. I'm not sure. Anything under 600 CCs is a good starter bike for the most part, but I started on an EX500 (Ninja 500R), so I'm a little biased. The Ninja250 might be a good choice, since the rumor is that it's being redesigned for 08.
☻/ This is Muhammad.
/▌ 
/ \ Copy and paste him

#63 User is offline   Marauder_Pilot 

• Thrilling Heroics
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Brigade Name:Marauder_Pilot

Posted 19 September 2007 - 04:50 PM

I've never ridden either the Rebel or the CR125, but I've ridden a GZ250, which is very similar, and I liked it. However, when riding a regular bike, I prefer to have the seat up high and be hunched over a bit, which leads me to think I'd like a sport bike. Plus, I love the look of them versus the cruisers.

Some people have said that I should start on a 500 instead of a 250-opinions? I'm looking for something that would do better in a city-I have no plans to take it on a highway (Country roads, maybe, but not a major 4-lane highway).

#64 User is offline   jtpaintball70 

• Stock-Class player
  • PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 19 September 2007 - 04:54 PM

View PostMarauder_Pilot, on Sep 19 2007, 05:50 PM, said:

I've never ridden either the Rebel or the CR125, but I've ridden a GZ250, which is very similar, and I liked it. However, when riding a regular bike, I prefer to have the seat up high and be hunched over a bit, which leads me to think I'd like a sport bike. Plus, I love the look of them versus the cruisers.

Some people have said that I should start on a 500 instead of a 250-opinions? I'm looking for something that would do better in a city-I have no plans to take it on a highway (Country roads, maybe, but not a major 4-lane highway).

Sportbikes sound right then. And as for starting bigger... I know people who have done X-Country on a 250 Ninja before, so you REALLY don't need anything bigger.
☻/ This is Muhammad.
/▌ 
/ \ Copy and paste him

#65 User is offline   Marauder_Pilot 

• Thrilling Heroics
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 19 September 2007 - 05:01 PM

Truthfully, I'd be afraid on a bigger bike. I know too many people who run out and buy 600-800-1000+ CC crotch rockets and wreck it in a week. My prior driving experience has been Crown Victorias, Tundras, Astro service vans, cube vans, bucket trucks and a bit of time in a Civic-going from driving big vehicles to a motorbike is a bit of a jump for me.

Granted, I've spent a lot of time on dirtbikes and ATVs, but this is still quite different.

#66 User is offline   Splat Pack 

• merc for hire
  • PipPipPip
  • Brigade Name:daddysmut

Posted 19 September 2007 - 05:10 PM

View PostMarauder_Pilot, on Sep 19 2007, 08:01 PM, said:

Truthfully, I'd be afraid on a bigger bike. I know too many people who run out and buy 600-800-1000+ CC crotch rockets and wreck it in a week. My prior driving experience has been Crown Victorias, Tundras, Astro service vans, cube vans, bucket trucks and a bit of time in a Civic-going from driving big vehicles to a motorbike is a bit of a jump for me.

Granted, I've spent a lot of time on dirtbikes and ATVs, but this is still quite different.

the reality of it is that the size (cc) of the bike has nothing to do with people wrecking and getting hurt. a rider can very easily get just as messed up riding a 250 as he can a 1000. it's all about predicting situations, knowing how to react, respecting the bike, the road, and other drivers.

throttle control :dodgy:

#67 User is offline   Marauder_Pilot 

• Thrilling Heroics
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 19 September 2007 - 05:12 PM

That is very true, and I am NOT the type to screw around on a bike by street racing and stunting and such. An armored vest is just not enough insurance for me...meh, a bike is at least a year off for me unless I suddenly get a really good job anyways, so I've got time to try.

#68 User is offline   Splat Pack 

• merc for hire
  • PipPipPip

Posted 19 September 2007 - 05:16 PM

View PostMarauder_Pilot, on Sep 19 2007, 08:12 PM, said:

That is very true, and I am NOT the type to screw around on a bike by street racing and stunting and such. An armored vest is just not enough insurance for me...meh, a bike is at least a year off for me unless I suddenly get a really good job anyways, so I've got time to try.

that's good to know. you sound like you've got your head on right. when you're ready take the MSF course and buy a bike. it's a very liberating feeling. i love it!

#69 User is offline   Marauder_Pilot 

• Thrilling Heroics
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 19 September 2007 - 05:19 PM

Yeah, I'm hoping I can take one this year. I'm on the hunt for a used set of gear (Need gloves, pants, a jacket and a helmet to take the course).
BTW, anybody got a set they're not using they'd let go for cheap-esque? Well, clothes at least-I'll shell out for a good smash hat. I do not want to die because some crappy driver doesn't check for bikes.

#70 User is offline   Splat Pack 

• merc for hire
  • PipPipPip

Posted 19 September 2007 - 05:22 PM

View PostMarauder_Pilot, on Sep 19 2007, 08:19 PM, said:

Yeah, I'm hoping I can take one this year. I'm on the hunt for a used set of gear (Need gloves, pants, a jacket and a helmet to take the course).
BTW, anybody got a set they're not using they'd let go for cheap-esque? Well, clothes at least-I'll shell out for a good smash hat. I do not want to die because some crappy driver doesn't check for bikes.

i have a helmet, gloves, boots and full leathers that i can sell you :panzer:

#71 User is offline   Marauder_Pilot 

• Thrilling Heroics
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 19 September 2007 - 05:23 PM

What size? If they're medium and my money looks good, you may have a customer.

#72 User is offline   jtpaintball70 

• Stock-Class player
  • PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 19 September 2007 - 06:41 PM

View PostMarauder_Pilot, on Sep 19 2007, 06:23 PM, said:

What size? If they're medium and my money looks good, you may have a customer.

But you're Canadan... your money looks weird :angry:

J/K bro! Good luck with this, you sound like the kind of rider we need on the roads
☻/ This is Muhammad.
/▌ 
/ \ Copy and paste him

#73 User is offline   Digital Pirate 

• Commonwealth Expeditionary Force
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Moderators
  • Brigade Name:DigitalPirate

Posted 19 September 2007 - 10:03 PM

What's the deal with these Star-X Bikes? Are they a good name? Because there's a 250CC bike, 2007, for $1849. OR I could go for a 2003 Yamaha YZ 450 F for $3,100.

#74 User is offline   Splat Pack 

• merc for hire
  • PipPipPip

Posted 20 September 2007 - 04:15 AM

View PostDigitalPirate, on Sep 20 2007, 01:03 AM, said:

What's the deal with these Star-X Bikes? Are they a good name? Because there's a 250CC bike, 2007, for $1849. OR I could go for a 2003 Yamaha YZ 450 F for $3,100.

they are super cheapo chinese knock offs. :huh:

#75 User is offline   Philipp122 

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Brigade Name:Philipp122

Posted 20 September 2007 - 04:33 AM

View PostDigitalPirate, on Sep 20 2007, 01:03 AM, said:

Are you looking for your first bike? Personally, I think the '03s are out of date. They made some changes to the bikes in '04, which are the earliest models you can get that are still considered up to date.

Are you looking into starting motocross?

Share this topic:

• (55 Pages)
  • +
  • « First
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • This topic is locked

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users