Special Ops Paintball: Do you bring your marker when you ref? - Special Ops Paintball

Jump to content


  • (3 Pages)
  • +
  • 1
  • 2
  • 3
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Do you bring your marker when you ref? Why or why not? Rate Topic: -----

Poll: .... (47 member(s) have cast votes)

Do you bring your marker when you ref?

  1. Yes (27 votes [57.45%])

    Percentage of vote: 57.45%

  2. No (20 votes [42.55%])

    Percentage of vote: 42.55%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#31 User is offline   SHADOW SNIPER 

  • masta of disasta
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Members
  • Posts: 1,087
  • Joined: 10-April 05
  • Location:dirty jersey
  • Brigade Name:shadow sniper

Posted 08 July 2007 - 07:28 PM

hey well i have sceen a scenario were a ref baught a gun ontoa field and a reff shot a player.. and that player happend to have a 06 dynasty shocker and paint... so thats all i have to say
www.zjpaintball.com
FREE AGENT
Rangerz ego7 sling trigger zick kit
0

#32 User is offline   ghostinthewood 

  • ELITE Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Retired/Inactive Moderator
  • Posts: 5,414
  • Joined: 22-September 06
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Dub Town, IN
  • Brigade Name:GHOSTINTHEWOOD AKA SERAPH

Posted 11 July 2007 - 11:41 AM

View PostSpectre014, on May 14 2007, 05:30 AM, said:

I own an upped 98 Custom for woodsball and I bring it when I ref. Lots of people will see I own this gun and that I am one of the (two) people that play woodsball at our field. Everyone else has DM's and Shockers and I think by bringing my woodsball marker it is getting more people informed about our comeback. Lots of people own Tippmanns and come to me and my friend when thinking about upgrading them. I think this is good since we are the only two that have had lots of experience with our (Tippmann) markers.

I dont think he meant for shooting cheaters with...
<a href="http://www.specialopspaintball.com/brigade/member_view.asp?id=3077" target="_blank"><img src="http://i23.photobucket.com/albums/b392/Serapiel2/GITW1.jpg" border="0" class="linked-sig-image" /></a>
Guerillas arent endangered, they're just hard to find...sXe
"I dont think you're supposed to call you're girlfriend a n00b..." ~ robin 1:20pm 12/24/08
<3 robin
<a href="http://www.makeittosunday.com/" target="_blank">http://www.makeittosunday.com/</a>
(22:08:48) T-Freak : hey dont laugh at me...im just a dumb pentacostal morman
0

#33 User is offline   Bielerga 

  • The Chemist
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Members
  • Posts: 1,092
  • Joined: 18-May 06
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Cincinnati, OH
  • Brigade Name:Seaspray

Posted 11 July 2007 - 11:46 AM

View PostSpectre014, on May 14 2007, 08:30 AM, said:

I own an upped 98 Custom for woodsball and I bring it when I ref. Lots of people will see I own this gun and that I am one of the (two) people that play woodsball at our field. Everyone else has DM's and Shockers and I think by bringing my woodsball marker it is getting more people informed about our comeback. Lots of people own Tippmanns and come to me and my friend when thinking about upgrading them. I think this is good since we are the only two that have had lots of experience with our (Tippmann) markers.


I think its ok to bring your marker to the field with you when you ref because you never know what may happen. In the winter especially we will have 3 people show up to play and two refs. However on a normal day you can bring your maker to fool around with after the day is over or if you want to work on it in your down time but while you are reffing your maker should be locked away in a car or other area safe from your reach (and any dishonest person's). When you go to ref, you are there to work. Sure it might be fun but having a marker just gives too many bad things a chance to happen.
I am an arms dealer, fitting you with weapons in the form of words

BLOOD FEST OCT 27TH HALLOWEEN BIG GAME Oh,IN,KY Teams
0

#34 User is offline   nuc/et 

  • Forum Member
  • PipPip
  • Group: Members
  • Posts: 220
  • Joined: 30-April 07
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:SW, VA

Posted 18 July 2007 - 06:43 AM

I usually carry a pistol on the field to deal with any body that shoots me intintially thats the fields rule 3 or more times from the same person more than once they are fair game
0

#35 User is offline   -Hoot- 

  • Paintball, its not a game, but a way of life....
  • PipPip
  • Group: Members
  • Posts: 187
  • Joined: 10-July 07
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Lincolnton,GA

Posted 23 July 2007 - 07:47 AM

I always bring my gun but when I'm the ref I never bring my gun on the field
My want list How to Ghille your mask,By Curly fryOfficial Commander #62, Official Broadsword #46
0

#36 User is offline   Bielerga 

  • The Chemist
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Members
  • Posts: 1,092
  • Joined: 18-May 06
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Cincinnati, OH
  • Brigade Name:Seaspray

Posted 23 July 2007 - 07:55 AM

View Postnuc/et, on Jul 18 2007, 09:43 AM, said:

I usually carry a pistol on the field to deal with any body that shoots me intintially thats the fields rule 3 or more times from the same person more than once they are fair game


If someone breaks a rule make them sit out, shooting them solves nothing. Your job is to watch out for the safety of players not start hunting them down yourself.
I am an arms dealer, fitting you with weapons in the form of words

BLOOD FEST OCT 27TH HALLOWEEN BIG GAME Oh,IN,KY Teams
0

#37 User is offline   Fin 

  • Forum Newbie
  • Pip
  • Group: Members
  • Posts: 2
  • Joined: 25-July 07
  • Brigade Name:Finbar

Posted 25 July 2007 - 04:18 PM

View PostBielerga, on Jul 23 2007, 03:55 PM, said:

View Postnuc/et, on Jul 18 2007, 09:43 AM, said:

I usually carry a pistol on the field to deal with any body that shoots me intintially thats the fields rule 3 or more times from the same person more than once they are fair game


If someone breaks a rule make them sit out, shooting them solves nothing. Your job is to watch out for the safety of players not start hunting them down yourself.


I beg to differ, I marshal (ref) on a British site and I completely agree safety is obviously a primary duty however in situations where it doesnt cause a risk to safety ( for instance you obviously never shoot some one who is lifting a mask or close fire upon anyone yourself) it can be the most effective way to communicate. For instance as a marshall you see some one close firing you call it, he doesnt stop, you shoot hes dead he goes out. Similarly you see a wiper you shoot and tell him he IS dead. I don't agree with taking people out of the game and shooting them as a punishment, however if it is explained in the initial safety speech that marshalls will (in game, where you expect to be shot anyway) after an intial warning fire on any one close firing, blind firing, bonus balling or wiping and without warning on anyone close or blind firing where the player who is the victim of the close or blind firing is likely to be hurt. we obviously try to state this as something we dont want to happen and if it does we explain to the eliminated player why it did, but in a busy game shooting a player out and explaining to them after the game what their offence was if they hadnt already clocked is safer than going over to them yelling (especially as much yelling is ignored) while they continue to play unfairly or even dangerously then explain it to them and escort them off, all of which prevents you from keeping your eye on the game and more serious issues particularly mask lifting or injury.

I understand how this could be misused by powertripping refs but if you are well trained and sensible as you should be I think it is a valuable approach to refereeing albeit one that can ONLY be used paintball :excl: :(
0

#38 User is offline   Bielerga 

  • The Chemist
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Members
  • Posts: 1,092
  • Joined: 18-May 06
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Cincinnati, OH
  • Brigade Name:Seaspray

Posted 25 July 2007 - 08:05 PM

View PostFin, on Jul 25 2007, 07:18 PM, said:

View PostBielerga, on Jul 23 2007, 03:55 PM, said:

View Postnuc/et, on Jul 18 2007, 09:43 AM, said:

I usually carry a pistol on the field to deal with any body that shoots me intintially thats the fields rule 3 or more times from the same person more than once they are fair game


If someone breaks a rule make them sit out, shooting them solves nothing. Your job is to watch out for the safety of players not start hunting them down yourself.


I beg to differ, I marshal (ref) on a British site and I completely agree safety is obviously a primary duty however in situations where it doesnt cause a risk to safety ( for instance you obviously never shoot some one who is lifting a mask or close fire upon anyone yourself) it can be the most effective way to communicate. For instance as a marshall you see some one close firing you call it, he doesnt stop, you shoot hes dead he goes out. Similarly you see a wiper you shoot and tell him he IS dead. I don't agree with taking people out of the game and shooting them as a punishment, however if it is explained in the initial safety speech that marshalls will (in game, where you expect to be shot anyway) after an intial warning fire on any one close firing, blind firing, bonus balling or wiping and without warning on anyone close or blind firing where the player who is the victim of the close or blind firing is likely to be hurt. we obviously try to state this as something we dont want to happen and if it does we explain to the eliminated player why it did, but in a busy game shooting a player out and explaining to them after the game what their offence was if they hadnt already clocked is safer than going over to them yelling (especially as much yelling is ignored) while they continue to play unfairly or even dangerously then explain it to them and escort them off, all of which prevents you from keeping your eye on the game and more serious issues particularly mask lifting or injury.

I understand how this could be misused by powertripping refs but if you are well trained and sensible as you should be I think it is a valuable approach to refereeing albeit one that can ONLY be used paintball :excl: :P



Thinking that you have to use a gun to shoot someone shows a lack of control. Just this sunday I was out on the field reffing and I called a guy out but people kept shooting. Without even moving I yelled very forcefully "LET HIM OUT" and everyone of about 25 people left, stopped firing completely. If I would have shot the player over shooting him not only would it have taken longer to solve the problem leading to a continued unsafe situation but it would have also caused me to enter the game and no longer be an observer. In hockey when a fight breaks out the ref doesn't start fighting the players, he sits them out in the penalty box. I can't think of a SINGLE sport where the ref enters the game to stop a player from breaking the rules. If you see someone breaking the rules, sit them out, if they are going to ignore you MAKE THEM LEAVE. So to recap you claim is that shooting a player is more effective... well I can't think of a situation where this is more effective.

1. I can yell through bunkers, trees, woods, and even up and down forts. (you can only shoot in your line of sight)
2. Yelling is instant (shooting takes time, especially if you have to move)
3. I can yell and be heard ANYWHERE on the field (shooting range is very limited)
4. If I yell at a player and pull them out they KNOW they did something wrong (getting shot is just part of the game)
5. By yelling I'm always in the game (when shooting you have to focus on your gun)

You did throw out the scenario of having to escort a player off the field and not being able to pay attention to the game, and somehow shooting them would make them leave despite the fact that they seem to severely not be following the rules as is. I think that if a player is going to be doing something so absurd, dangerous, or crazy that they are not going to leave when you tell them to you NEED to make sure they leave. A little bit of forceful yelling goes a long way. Granted I think its more powerful the louder and stronger you can yell but a player that is not going to listen to the ref should not be on the field.
I am an arms dealer, fitting you with weapons in the form of words

BLOOD FEST OCT 27TH HALLOWEEN BIG GAME Oh,IN,KY Teams
0

Share this topic:


  • (3 Pages)
  • +
  • 1
  • 2
  • 3
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users