• You cannot reply to this topic

You and your gear please use before modding Rate Topic: -----

#1 User is offline   Dark Shadow Hunter 

• Screwball, one each.
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Members
  • Brigade Name:Dark Shadow Hunter

Posted 06 May 2007 - 01:41 AM

A reply I wrote in another thread in this section of the forum inspired me to write this up. Lately I have noticed a lot of newer players wanting to get into the sport and mod or upgrade their marker before their first day of play. I am perfectly fine with people modding their gear to suit them. However how do you know what will suit you on the field of play without even being there? you honestly don't even if you do have prior experience with actual fire arms. The ballistics of a paintball are differant than that of a bullet. Also you get a lot less range out of a paintball marker than out of a fire arm.

I highly suggest that once you decide to get into the sport of paintball that you spend some time and familiarize yourself with your gear and learn how it peforms. I reccomend you spend at least a month of playing with your marker in its stock out of the box configuration. Durring that time frame think about what mods and upgrades you see see people using and how they would apply to situations you personally encounter out there on the field.

Your gear should conform to your style of play instead of your style of play conforming to your gear. Ask yourself how would that mil-sim M-16 stock help me and how would it hinder me? How would that 3 inch barrel help in close encounters and how would it hinder in engagements from longer distances? Not everyone is the same, that is why there are so many differant types of gear available in our sport. If your gear set up ends up being a Tippmann 98 Custom with an M-16 Commando stock, 3 inch barrel, reversed ASA with a 45 cubic inch 4,500 PSI tank and a speedball 3+2 harness and it is comfortable and works with your style so be it. It could even be a Smart Parts Ion with a Deadly Wind DTI2 body, folding stock, 20 inch barrel, running remote and a tactical vest.

Here is a brief history of me and paintball so you can have a bit of an understanding that I know what I am talking about. I started playing in the spring of 2000 with a Brass Eagle Stingray II. I did fairly well with that marker, however after a few months I wanted something with less of a trigger pull and a little higher rate of fire. I decided to get a PMI Piranha and after a few months I decided I wanted a permanant stock on it since I was tired of always using my tank for a stock. I purchased a T-stock and installed it. A couple weeks later I put a gas through foregrip on it for an even more stable shooting platform. I played with that set up until late spring of 2006 minus the year I spent in Iraq of course.

My current set up is a Tippman 98 Custom with Tapco CAR stock, 14 inch barrel, remote coil, and Dead On Rocket Cock II. The reason I got the 98C was because I could put the stock where I felt it belong, above the grip and in line with the internals and barrel. I got the CAR stock because when i was in Iraq I carried an M-4 and the adjustable stock was more comfortable than the fixxed stock on the M-16. I got the marker used and it came with the 14 inch barrel. With the remote coil I can use the stock collapsed when the need arises. The Rocket Cock seals up the internals so I do not have to worry about debri getting into my marker.

There are several differant entry level markers on the market today. All of which can be modded in various differant ways. Thanks to the T2W stock from Spec Ops and similiar products, almost any tourny style marker can have a stock. Also the Ion, which is a very popular entry level electronic marker, has a couple differant body kits that can accept stocks. The most widely known is the Blackcell body kit from Spec Ops, but there is also the DTI2 from Deadly Wind which can accept any stock made for the 98 Custom. No matter what marker you decide to get for you first marker and you decide you want to use a stock on it, you should be able to find a stock that will work for you. I know several rather good players who just use their air tank as stock as well.

As I stated earlier in this post, your gear should conform to your style of play. When your style of play has to conform to your gear you may not be the best player you could be.

--Fixxed a typo.

This post has been edited by Dark Shadow Hunter: 15 August 2007 - 10:49 PM

#2 User is offline   Hammer_and_S 

• I'm fat AND I'm fit!
  • Pip

Posted 06 May 2007 - 02:02 AM

Agreed - If your new, it's understandable when you see someone out there with an A-5 w/ e-grip, 14 inch barrel, some crazy opsgear.com hand guard. collapsing stock, and all those nifty things to make it cool. Of course you'll want to mod you gun to make it look sexy, i know i did when i first got into the sport. started with a Gameface Vexor, played for 4 years or so with that, and decided that it wasn't for me.

I just wasn't set on using a speed ball gun, or getting into that field of paint ball. I just felt that woods ball was more of my calling. So i kept my Vexor and hassled my dad into buying me a Tippmann Model 98, a perfect entry level gun for woods ball. I played with that bone stock for about 2 months and decided i was tired of getting my butt handed to me because i coudn't hit the guys farther than the barrel could shoot, so i bought a Flat line barrel. that gave me the edge i needed, and after a while, i became a textbook marksman, nailing the long balling.

after a while, i got tired of using my tank as a stock, just like Dark Shadow Hunter up there ^. so i invested in a BT 4 position stock, instantly fell in love, and increased my performance through steady aiming. Next came the remote coil, and vest, not only for a bad DUMPER look, but to lighten the gun so i wouldn't fatigue as fast from the weight.

Now my current setup is a brand spanking new Tippmann X7 with a response trigger, and an X7 air through stock, wish is awesome because it allows me (you) to actually see down the gun using the aiming reticles, which is rare unless you have an offset scope mount.

Pretty much the point is, get good witha bone stock marker, and over time, adapt it to your playing style, be it long barrels, stocks or not, coils and vests. let your gear evolve to your style, not vice versa!

ENJOY!

#3 User is offline   Mulletar 

• Emasculator of the puerile
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Brigade Name:Mulletar

Posted 06 May 2007 - 06:31 AM

Fantastic post. Well said!

If there isn't something like this already this should be stickied.

"Your gear should conform to your style of play instead of your style of play conforming to your gear."

Hey! You stole that from me! :P

Fine, I forgive you.

94% of the people on this forum have an annoying statistic in their signature. If you think that's ridiculously stupid, or even if you're a part of the 0.5% that couldn't care less, put this in your sig.

#4 User is offline   Camo Charlie 

• Forum Newbie
  • Pip

Posted 06 May 2007 - 11:34 PM

Well said.

You mean you think it's ridiculous when a newb asks which marker he/she should buy and with what mods...as their first marker? :D

What's funnier is when someone asks for a recommendation and then you tell them to start with something basic, play, then modify as they find necessary, and they look at you like you just smoked crack.

I've been playing with a Spyder Elite for the last seven years before I finally bought a new marker (an A-5)... err, actually three markers. I picked up a slightly used (less than a year old) BT-4 and m98C for dirt cheap from a friend getting out of the business (operating a paintball field.) I primarily use these markers as loaners. My ol' faithful Spyder is my back-up to the A-5.

This post has been edited by Camo Charlie: 06 May 2007 - 11:49 PM

Improvise. Adapt. Overcome.

#5 User is offline   The Stuntman 

• I feel like I'm taking Crazy Pills!
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Administrators
  • Brigade Name:The Stuntman

Posted 06 May 2007 - 11:56 PM

Excellent post - well said.

I like to get the feel of a new gun before I start modding it. Figure it out - what are its particular strengths & weaknesses, how does it feel in the hand, what could be better & what you love as-is.
For 20 years I played with pumps & cheap mechanical semis. Finally, last year I broke down & bought my first electro - a SP Ion. I played with it twice as it was out of the box. Decided I wanted a drop forward ASA like on my other guns, so I got one - its a comfort thing. It was almost 8 months before I pinned down exactly what I wanted for the next round...having experimented with fast shooting for awhile, it was time to give the guts of the gun a boost - a QEV & a rail trigger. I'm happy to say that both work great & do just what I want them too. :ghillie:
Next will be a barrel adapter so I can use some of other barrels...At this time I see no need for a new board or a faster hopper.
The point is I took my time to figure out exactly what I needed before spending hard-earned money. As a result, I have more cash for paint & a gun that I feely truly capable with.

Funny thing...my brother had a top-of-the-line Angel, which he sold off to buy a mid-range Angel model...he "downgraded" because he felt the more expensive, snazier one just had "too much stuff to think about". It was more of a pain that it was worth & had features he would never need...so why bother?
Its something to think about...expensive doesnt always mean better.

#6 User is offline   Dark Shadow Hunter 

• Screwball, one each.
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 07 May 2007 - 04:42 PM

You are very right Stuntman. Expensive does not always mean better. When I got my Piranha brand new in 2000 I paid $170 for it. When I got my used Tippman with a lot of extra parts and upgrade items I paid $100 for it. Your note on the board having features he would never need brings up a good point on aftermarket boards. Just because it costs $100 + for a new board with more features and a higher rate of fire it does not mean that You need it.

Granted there are some things that some people should be done with a marker right after You get it. Many people say the first thing You should do is polish the internals on Your Tippman marker. Some say You should put a quick exhaust valve on Your Ion and get the Virtue board for it. Some say You need to replace the stock barrel as soon as possible. Those are all valid points, but I have encountered people who do extremely well using their markers stock and do not intend to change a thing.

Roanoke sorry for stealing Your line, but it does fit with what I was saying. So does everything else others have said. Thank You all for Your positive feed back and Your input for making this thread better.

This post has been edited by Dark Shadow Hunter: 15 August 2007 - 10:55 PM

#7 User is offline   Gobo Fongo 

• Master of Awesome
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Brigade Name:Gobo Fongo

Posted 07 May 2007 - 08:33 PM

I agree, and I'd like to add one thing;

Suite: Posted Image

Suit: Posted Image

"On the other hand, I WILL buy a Viking, and every time I shoot it I will be symbolically sticking it to Smart Parts."
Me Feedback ALL MY STUFF FOR SALE Multicam Headwrap Sale

#8 User is offline   BlueDragonX 

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Brigade Name:BlueDragonX

Posted 07 May 2007 - 09:11 PM

Yeah, I point that out to the new guys all the time. Use your gear first, then decide what's best.

I would also like to add:

Not good for playing paintball in: Posted Image

Very good for playing paintball in: Posted Image

rofl

Ghost Recon - Chord Mag - E-Mag - Stiffi vs. C-Series
"Smart Parts, Debunking Sir Isaac Newton one paintball at a time." -Arstron (on AO)

#9 User is offline   Dark Shadow Hunter 

• Screwball, one each.
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 07 May 2007 - 09:44 PM

Thanks for pointing that out Gobo. Interesting way of putting it.

I fixxed it.

#10 User is offline   Gobo Fongo 

• Master of Awesome
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Brigade Name:Gobo Fongo

Posted 08 May 2007 - 12:39 AM

No problem, great post and huge help for the newbs, I was just distracted by that.

Newbs, Listen to Dark Shadow Hunter!

"On the other hand, I WILL buy a Viking, and every time I shoot it I will be symbolically sticking it to Smart Parts."
Me Feedback ALL MY STUFF FOR SALE Multicam Headwrap Sale

#11 User is offline   7th Spartan 

• Kill'em Kill'em all
  • PipPip
  • Brigade Name:7th Spartan

Posted 08 May 2007 - 01:39 PM

nice well said

that will definently help our newer players
Team Omega Kansas Ballers Official Ion Owner #52
View My Special Ops Brigade Page What we do in life echos in eternity

#12 User is offline   Hammer_and_S