Special Ops Paintball: Why don't all marker manufactorer put a safety on their markers? - Special Ops Paintball

• (5 Pages)
  • +
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Why don't all marker manufactorer put a safety on their markers? And what happened to teaching kids basic gun safety?

#1 User is offline   foodawg 

• Some days a cynic, Some days a pessimist!
  • PipPip
  • Group: Members
  • Brigade Name:Foodawg

Post icon  Posted 29 April 2007 - 08:37 PM

This is sort of a rant I guess.

I was playing in a scenario game this weekend and was asked to hold a kids marker (this kid was probably 10 and had a hopped up speedball marker). We were in this octagon shaped fort, which will become important in a minute. When he passed it to me, I was holding my marker, a mission brief, and a bunch of other crap. I raised my knee up with my foot on a railing, and laid the end of his marker on my leg pointing at the wall. The marker went off and just missed a team mate by inches.

I looked and couldn't find the safety on the marker. When I asked the kid where the safety was, he said it didn't have one. What kind of company makes a "firearm (as classified by the firearm act of 2000)" as doesn't put a safety on it? To me that is really strange. In fact, it kind of freaks me out!

In addition, we had one other team member shot at no more than two feet in the thigh. A guy was picking his marker up and grabbed the grip and the trigger.

After that, I started looking around. It was routine for the kids in the group to constantly keep their finger on the trigger. They didn't use safeties if they had them, and they didn't pay attention to where their barrel of their markers were pointed.

Maybe it's because I grew up in a time when hunting and guns were pretty much an everyday (or at least frequent) experience. Kids routinely got cap guns, disk guns, and BB guns for birthdays, went hunting with their fathers when they were old enough to keep up, starting shooting when they were able to steady the butt end of the gun while the barrel was in a shooting stick or fence post, and gun safety was something you learned at a very early age.

You can't buy a marker unless you're 18 (at least in my state). You can't go hunting unless you take a hunting safety course if you are under a certain age (maybe because kids aren't being taught gun safety at home anymore?). Why would you buy a little kid a marker and not teach him the basic principle of safety associated with the "gun".

Wouldn't this sort of thing be a good business practice (plus a potential revenue source) for paintball fields to offer a course in basic gun safety?

Is it just simpler to put a canvas bag with elastic on the end of a barrel than it is to teach safety to begin with? (I'm assuming that is the reason we use these barrel condom!)

I hate to put a damper on anyone's fun, and hey, we are out there shooting each other anyway, so why be safe while you're doing it?

I guess it's like the saying goes: "It's all fun and games until someone loses an eye, then it's hilarious!"

This post has been edited by foodawg: 29 April 2007 - 08:43 PM

#2 User is offline   MadBomber 

• Forum Member
  • PipPip
  • Brigade Name:MadBomber

Posted 29 April 2007 - 11:30 PM

I agree with you 100%! I started hunting with my father at the age of 8yrs old. I was taught gun safety the first time I touched a gun . . . . And continued to learn over the years.
Now, 20 years later, I'm passing the same safety guidelines that I had learned down to my sons.

I agree that it is ridiculous that manufacturers are not including a safety on their markers. Although barrel socks are required at most/all fields, accidents happen during game play as well (as you pointed out).

There seriously should be some sort of law governing this.

As a matter of fact, I just bought two Pro-lites and the fact that the safeties were missing was THE first thing I noticed. Already have the replacements on order.
FEEDBACK:Please leave feedback for transactions we've done. 22+ / 0-

98% of people on this forum will say that Tippmann pwns all. If you are one of the 98% that agrees put this in your sig.
Beware my FURY as I quietly watch you from the shadows. . .

#3 User is offline   DanteDevil 

• Most Hated
  • PipPipPip
  • Brigade Name:DanteDevil

Posted 30 April 2007 - 11:51 AM

It would be dumb to put a safety on a speedball gun. Slide into a bunker the safety bumps something and lock the trigger, you bring up the gun to shoot and whoops nothing happens then you get shot. If you don't know how to handle the gun with out shooting off randomly, you shouldn't be handling it anyway,

#4 User is offline   DaggerBurn 

• scratch kitty scratch
  • PipPipPip
  • Brigade Name:Kohburn

Posted 30 April 2007 - 12:06 PM

the most effective safety on a gun is to decock it

#5 User is offline   motoguy1251 

• Mustache Afficianado
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • Brigade Name:motoguy1251

Posted 30 April 2007 - 12:10 PM

So what nothing happens at least your friends face was safe in the dead zone. And sure if you dont know how to handle it then you shouldnt hold one until tought. I play speedball with my tippmann, it has a safety and that has never happened to me.

I guess i would rather be overally safe then not.
1Ill be on you like white on rice in a glass of milk on a paper plate in a snow storm!!
2Games: Americas Army, Battlefield 2,2142,1942,vietnam,Fear, CSS,Red Orchestra,DOD, Oblivion,GaryMod,more

#6 User is offline   slinkyaroo 

• Gravity takes over where brains leave off.
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Administrators

Posted 30 April 2007 - 12:16 PM

It does have a saftey but you are not familiar with his marker. Highenders do not have mechanical sears so there is no mechanical safety.

You just turn the marker off and it's on safety.

#7 User is offline   hunta93 

• Forum Newbie
  • Pip
  • Brigade Name:hunta93

Posted 30 April 2007 - 12:17 PM

its cause on most mid-high end elctros u use the on off as a saftey
proud member of TCP deathsquad sponsered in part by PCS paintball
http://forum.specialopspaintball.com/index...p;#entry1384382 plz buy!

#8 User is offline   foodawg 

• PipPip

Posted 30 April 2007 - 12:40 PM

What gets me is how sensitive the kids gun was. No one appeared to touch the trigger and it discharged.

The main point of my rant was really about how no one teaches general gun safety anymore and apparently that is ok with industry, which quit putting safeties on certain types of markers.

Even in battle or high risk situations (such as police entries), you don't put your finger on the trigger until you are going to fire. Yet these kids fingers are always on the trigger.

No wonder I've been popped in the back before by some of these little turds! Until Saturday, I thought it was a fairly isolated even. But it appears it is way more common that I previously believed.

And when you try to teach them some safety, they basically tell you to get lost (but in not so nice language).

I guess that's what we get for constantly telling our kids that their special and can do anything. Yeah...you're special alright! Just like everyone else.

What? You don't have to get your finger off the trigger? Oh. Hey kid...put you barrel bag on and go to the dead box! Why? Because...POP! There appears to be a stain on your shirt that looks suspiciously like a paintball busted. Hmmm..... Oh...and thanks for shootin' a few of your own team mates!

#9 User is offline   Bielerga 

• The Chemist
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • Brigade Name:Seaspray

Posted 30 April 2007 - 12:47 PM

glock?
I am an arms dealer, fitting you with weapons in the form of words

BLOOD FEST OCT 27TH HALLOWEEN BIG GAME Oh,IN,KY Teams

#10 User is offline   Steed 

• PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 30 April 2007 - 12:55 PM

Yeah not all firearms have safeties either... They've pretty much been reomved from paintball on all electronics (for the most part) becuase a safety isn't 100%, hell in high water if its even 60%. The markers that do have safeties are mechincal since its a mechanical motion that fires the marker, putting one on an electro is difficult and not a major issue as you really shouldn't have a gun on till you're ready to fight. The best saftey is to degas it and kill the power becuase even mechanic safeties fail, anyways you should've asked if it was hot, Ions have HORRIBLE on/offs stock so alot of people actually leave them on all day while Angels and E-Mags have a physical switch, it also takes a second for some electros to boot up and such so people are enclined to have them hot once on the field. Accidents happen and the only true safe thing to do is to unload or degas the marker and have a BBD in if you want safety.

#11 User is offline   foodawg 

• PipPip

Posted 30 April 2007 - 02:25 PM

View PostBielerga, on Apr 30 2007, 02:47 PM, said:

glock?

No thanks. I prefer my tricked out Taurus, my SKS, or my match conditioned M1 Gerand if have to go long distances.

#12 User is offline   Bielerga 

• The Chemist
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • Brigade Name:Seaspray

Posted 30 April 2007 - 02:28 PM

the SKS or M1 don't have safeties either do they?
I am an arms dealer, fitting you with weapons in the form of words

BLOOD FEST OCT 27TH HALLOWEEN BIG GAME Oh,IN,KY Teams

#13 User is offline   foodawg 

• PipPip

Posted 30 April 2007 - 03:36 PM

The SKS has a safety at the back of the trigger guard that flips down that blocks the trigger from coming back in the pulled position.

The M1 Garand has a safety at the front of the trigger guard. You pull it back and it prevents the gun from firing. You can also run a cable through the hole in the safety if it is in a rack or you can put a lock through it to keep it from being taken off safety.

See link for a good picture of the safety on M1 Garand.

http://www.civilianmarksmanship.com/nomenc...turesafety.html
or
http://www.surplusri.../operations.asp for an installed view.

I couldn't find a good picture of the SKS safety. It's just a little lever the flips up behind the trigger on the right hand side of the carbine.

#14 User is offline   gibson0822 

• Distraction
  • PipPipPip

Posted 30 April 2007 - 06:39 PM

View PostBielerga, on Apr 30 2007, 03:47 PM, said:

glock?

Revolver?

#15 User is offline   UWANNAGO 

• Im kind of a big deal, people know me
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Moderators
  • Brigade Name:UWANNAGO

Posted 30 April 2007 - 06:47 PM

Its really easy to turn onn and off most electric markers...and if accidental discharge occurs then you obviously dont know how to hold/use a marker...

Also I have never been a fan of safties on all markers that ive owned with safteys I have always taken them off...its not that unusual to run your finger over the saftey go to shoot and have it not...but with an electric marker you get used to turning your marker on and off each time you enter and exit the field there is basciall no times when you accidentally turn your marker onn or off.

Peace,
UWANNAGO

Share this topic:

• (5 Pages)
  • +
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

2 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users