Special Ops Paintball: Why hydro CO2 tank when new tank only a few dollars more?! - Special Ops Paintball

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Why hydro CO2 tank when new tank only a few dollars more?! Rate Topic: -----

#1 User is offline   blkstne 

• Forum Newbie
  • Pip
  • Group: Members

Posted 22 March 2007 - 06:38 AM

Here is my question:

Why hydro test my out of date CO2 tanks for approx 17 dollars when I can purchase new 16-20 oz tanks for around twenty dollars? i just purchased a used tank ball gun off ebay for my son which came with two out of date 20 oz tanks. When I researched where to send them to get hydro tested, the prices (17 dollars + shipping) seemed about the average price online. I can purchase a New CO2 filled 20 oz for about 22 dollars at my local paintball store.
I can see if I had a 200 dollar 4500 hpa tank the cost is worth it.
It just seems a waste to have several CO2 canisters sitting at my house not being used because it's cheaper to just purchase a new one.

Can anyone explane why this is?

#2 User is offline   euglow54 

• Bring it...
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • Brigade Name:euglow54

Posted 22 March 2007 - 06:43 AM

Because Americans are bred to be consumers. That's why you want to buy a new one instead of having the old one tested.
IPB Image
Kill by Necessity, Capture by Design
"Well, euglow54 might be the exact reason to keep the full head gear... " -Armory

#3 User is offline   Maj Tom 

• This is the funvee. Not the humdrumvee
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Retired/Inactive Moderator
  • Brigade Name:Maj Tom

Posted 22 March 2007 - 06:51 AM

Some don't re-hydro CO2 tanks they just take the Valve off and are either scraped or tossed in the trash.

#4 User is offline   Steed 

• PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 22 March 2007 - 06:59 AM

Most rental fields opt to have the tanks recycled, some CO2 tanks are just better off being replaced, by the time they hit that age the valve may need disks replaced and for $20 a new one is a better deal.

#5 Guest_Dream of Nullification_*

• Group: Guests

Posted 27 March 2007 - 12:26 AM

id say leave some negative feedback for the e-bay buyer who sold you the outdated co2 tanks unless it said in the product description they were outdated.

in my opinion its just easyer and cheaper to recycle old co2 tanks and buy new ones. like you stated it costs somewhere between 15-30 dollars to have a tank hydro tested and for 20oz or under co2 tanks it is not worth it. what they dont tell you is if your tank fails the hydro test they drill a hole in it so it cannot be used again to hold pressure. so now not only have you payed for hydro testing you also now need to pay for a new tank and half the time tanks do fail the testing

who ever sold you the tanks IMO ripped you off and you should try to get a refund or leave bad feedback unless they stated in the description they were out of date.

what you can do with the tanks is recycle them and perhaps make a few dollars off the tank so it will better balance out, im not sure where you could recycle them other than just scrap metal but im sure they have there uses, shop around for things you can do with old co2 tanks or take them by a pro shop and see if they will buy em for a few dollars

#6 User is offline   Legato 

• AKA reapermen - AKA Legaqua - Resident Brass Whore
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Retired/Inactive Moderator

Posted 27 March 2007 - 12:39 AM

Thats why the only co2 tanks i use are ones that fall under the 2 x 2 rule (anything smaller than 9 oz made after '93). Any tank smaller than 2" in diameter and 2' in height is exempt from testing. I only have to hydro two of my hpa tanks.

This post has been edited by Legato: 27 March 2007 - 12:40 AM

"I think wearing camo is dishonorable. No honorable player would pretend to be a tree or bush."Posted Image My Gallery - Ninja/Pirate Alliance - Marker Animations Posted ImageSpec Ops Posted Image Pump CrewSig Rules - Gen Rules & Regs - Avatar Rules - Warn Level/Reduction - Forum FAQs - Ultimate Pump Sticky - PDT

#7 Guest_Dream of Nullification_*

• Group: Guests

Posted 27 March 2007 - 01:21 AM

lol, wish i could get the feilds to refill my 4oz tank, they wont cause its jerry rigged up but works perfectly fine. grumble grumble

yeah, dont bother rehydroing co2 tanks. its just cheaper and quicker to recycle them and buy a new tank. or you can do what i do, buy a new co2 tank at walmart, stick your old co2 tank in the package the new co2 tank came in and return the old pos with the new recipt. hoorah for screwing the system :ninja:

This post has been edited by Dream of Nullification: 27 March 2007 - 01:22 AM

#8 User is offline   WardenWolf 

• Aspie Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Brigade Name:WardenWolf

Posted 27 March 2007 - 03:07 AM

Actually, the rule is even better now. In the U.S., any tank 9 ounces or smaller never needs to be retested. This only applies to new tanks, though; new tanks of this size do not have a hydrotest date on their sticker. If you have an older one with a hydro date stamped on it, it is NOT exempt.

At a certain local field, they were using 9 ounce tanks that were beat all to hell and were visibly WELDED, with no label to indicate brand or hydrotest dates. They were also round bottom tanks, of a kind I've never seen used for paintball. They were clearly in an illegal condition. Needless to say, I didn't go back.

Kanye: "Yo, Chile, I'm gonna let you finish shakin', but I just got to say Haiti had one of the best earthquakes of all time!"
Save a tree: wipe your ass with a hippie!

Share this topic:

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users