Special Ops Paintball: Ion? - Special Ops Paintball

• (3 Pages)
  • +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Ion? Rate Topic: -----

#31 User is offline   billybob 

• The John Deere of paintball. Nothing mows as nice.
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Members
  • Location:Leavenworth County Kansas, everyone's a prisoner here
  • Brigade Name:billybob

Posted 21 March 2007 - 08:49 AM

see, paintball markers aren't intended for any position, a player picks what marker they feel comfortable playing with, then their marker becomes part of that position. Intimidation isn't a factor for anyone with any kind of paintballing experience so the a5 loses its advantage there, unless you're playing with a group of newbs. You're right, just because it can pump out 17bps doesn't make it a broadsword gun, a broadsword type of player using it makes it a broadsword gun.

and billy bob, yea your a paintballer just like me, and everyone else in here, but your still no broadsword. theres more to being a broadsword then JUST laying down paint.

The use of suppressive fire is one of the greatest advantages that an organized team has over walk-on players. The militaries of the world rely on suppressive fire to advance their squads and to put enemy heads down. Paintball can work exactly the same way.

The Heavy Rifleman unleashes a sustained rate of fire that freezes the opposition's battle line while lighter elements of his team maneuver for advantage. He's the perfect man for defending the flag or hammering on the opposition's base. With an enormous load of paint and a fully automatic paintgun, the Broadsword isn't the fastest-moving member of his squad.

But, when he gets into position, he provides a hefty base of fire that carves a path for his buddies who will be assaulting. Heavy Riflemen don't always score the most kills, but they are crucial to attacks on entrenched defenses – the same defenses that can cause a squad to bog down in a frustrating stalemate.-quoted from spec ops

I think that description fits me fairly well. Yea I'll make the moves that you'd never expect someone my size to make (and get away with it most of the time) but it's not always my style. A sabre basically adapts to any position when they're needed. I am more of a sabre but the position I adapt to most often is broadsword.
"Life sucks" ~LT
"What the Hell? Is Abercrombie making people now!!!?"~ Vash

#32 User is offline   Painkiller Jane 

• It's a Pirate's life for me!
  • PipPipPip
  • Brigade Name:Painkiller Jane

Posted 22 March 2007 - 06:38 AM

whatever drew. i really dont care
PBP Pirate Ninja Alliance AGWS!
PKJ + Legato = WAFFLES!!!!!!

[I USE DIRTY WORDS TO BOOST MY SELF ESTEEM] according to Spec Ops Forum

#33 User is offline   dillz 

• Badger Brgd. Outcast #1
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • Brigade Name:Reaper_666

Posted 24 March 2007 - 07:18 PM

Wow how the topic has changed in here lmfao but it's all good at least we're using the threads more but all in all i have to back up my sis there is a lot more to being a broadsword that throwing paint in other words walk the walk and talk the talk would be a good way to put it I know from the fields in my area that I've been on that there aren't many of us out there my team has 2 right now but with the new members this year we may have more but again when people see us on the field they know we mean business by either the paint load we carry or the marker we use (tricked out A5 here) or maybe it's just how we carry ourselves on a field I take a lot of pride in being able to do what I do on a field as any position should. Being a broadsword there is a certain level of comedy also involved knowing that someone will eventually ask you if you are the guy with the machine gun (which does happen) or the newbies seeing you walk by carrying around a half a case with you and a tank big enough to scuba dive with and you hear them say "Hey I want that buy on my team".

So yes being a broadsword is all around fun and can be DAMN expensive weather your upgrading your marker or just buying the paint load you'll need for a big game. Yes sabers can "fill in" as broadswords but by no means does that make them a broadsword kind of makes them the teams "jack of all trades master of none" member (no offence intended), but by definition the sabre is to fill in "any" position and at that they do a great job be it commander dagger whatever, but that does not make them that person by any means I have yet to see a sabre carry the paint load we need to carry into battle I mean I carry 8 pods and am still looking for ways to add more for grenades and spare pods for the team (might have found a way to carry 12 but still working the details out on that).
Ok this ends my position rant for now :laugh:
Sic vis pacem para bellum.
If you want peace prepare for war.
When injustice becomes law rebellion becomes duty...

#34 User is offline   Commando7 

• Commando 1 Paintball
  • PipPipPipPip

Posted 24 March 2007 - 07:26 PM

View PostLil' C, on Mar 19 2007, 03:00 AM, said:

View PostBigJess, on Mar 11 2007, 06:55 PM, said:

Is a SmartParts Ion a good gun choice for a Broadsword? :unsure:

An Ion could work, but it wouldn't be my first choice.

An Ion is an excellent gun, mind you, but for heavy suppression fire, being able to have a higher-than-standard (200+) loaded ammo capacity is a distinct advantage. A Tippmann A-5 with an E-Grip, a double trigger (I like JCS), upped internals, and a 350- or 450-round APP hopper on the Cyclone feed would offer you decent rate of fire and extra on-gun ammo capacity for sustained fire. An Ion demands one of a few fairly fast-feeding lower-capacity e-hoppers in order fr it to do is job. Broadswords also do a lot of their work from the prone position, and the A-5's lower shooting profile allows for better face-in-the-dirt shooting than an Ion's design with a regulator foregrip...

Posted Image

Hate to break it to you, but that A-5 doesn't have a low shooting profile at all.
Pump User #90
Automaggot #121
Commando 1 Paintball Team
"If there was a fire in your house and the first thing you would grab would
be your paintball gear, put this in your sig."

#35 User is offline   dillz 

• Badger Brgd. Outcast #1
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • Brigade Name:Reaper_666

Posted 26 March 2007 - 07:01 PM

View Post$ARGE, on Mar 24 2007, 09:26 PM, said:

View PostLil' C, on Mar 19 2007, 03:00 AM, said:

View PostBigJess, on Mar 11 2007, 06:55 PM, said:

Is a SmartParts Ion a good gun choice for a Broadsword? :panzer:

An Ion could work, but it wouldn't be my first choice.

An Ion is an excellent gun, mind you, but for heavy suppression fire, being able to have a higher-than-standard (200+) loaded ammo capacity is a distinct advantage. A Tippmann A-5 with an E-Grip, a double trigger (I like JCS), upped internals, and a 350- or 450-round APP hopper on the Cyclone feed would offer you decent rate of fire and extra on-gun ammo capacity for sustained fire. An Ion demands one of a few fairly fast-feeding lower-capacity e-hoppers in order fr it to do is job. Broadswords also do a lot of their work from the prone position, and the A-5's lower shooting profile allows for better face-in-the-dirt shooting than an Ion's design with a regulator foregrip...

Hate to break it to you, but that A-5 doesn't have a low shooting profile at all.

Ok guys lets leave it at this the only way to give us a great low profile is to use the Q-loader thats a give in but I'm sorry I love having a gallon sized hopper and being able to lay paint on target for loner than most can and besides that the Qloader would be way to much of a pian in the DUMPER to mess with in game for me and by the way since when did we become snipers low profile shouldn't be that big of a concern to us there are a lot of other things for us to worry about like making sure we have enough air and paint to get our guys out of the jams they always seem to find themselves in.
Sic vis pacem para bellum.
If you want peace prepare for war.
When injustice becomes law rebellion becomes duty...

#36 User is offline   billybob 

• PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 27 March 2007 - 04:03 PM

Yes sabers can "fill in" as broadswords but by no means does that make them a broadsword kind of makes them the teams "jack of all trades master of none" member (no offence intended), but by definition the sabre is to fill in "any" position and at that they do a great job be it commander dagger whatever, but that does not make them that person by any means I have yet to see a sabre carry the paint load we need to carry into battle

in general I agree with that but I'll play a sabre type position and carry an 8+1 on my back. Other times I'll fill in as a broadsword only carrying a hopper and 4 pods. It doesn't always allow me to get through the whole game but I'd rather sacrifice myself and get the mission done.

Sorry that I've helped derail this topic but all in all I'd say that the Ion is definitely suitable as a broadsword marker if you find a way to set it up that fits your style.
"Life sucks" ~LT

#37 User is offline   OakeeDoke 

• OakeeDoke
  • PipPipPip
  • Brigade Name:OakeeDoke

Posted 31 March 2007 - 04:59 AM

The SP-8 is an awesome gun for the broadsword position! It's been said already and I'll confirm it again, the only thing it lacks is a hopper that can give you more than 230 rounds. The only thing I've seen that comes close to this is the VL tripod in which you can get the 300 round shell but, the hopper doesn't always keep up with the feed rate of the SP.

Just this week I bought one of the Spyder Fasta hoppers (W.out the LCD) and used it yesterday. Wow, that thing worked like a charm and it seemed like I was constantly dumping paint into it. I don't have anything special done to the SP except for a lighter bolt but, it is quick enough to shoot with two fingers and I keep it set on three-round burst.

On the outside, I have a 20" tactical barrel and have a new Hammerhead barrel kit coming in sometime early next week. The 20" barrel does give you some decent range and the accuracy isn't bad if you don't have a lot of trees and branches hanging around that will break the paint. I've got a forward grip on and the tactical rails to mount my SureFire flashlight with remote button on the grip side.

I use a 88/4500 tank and I can usually get almost 3/4+ case of paint out with one fill so I've got to carry the paint to keep me in play that long.

If they can make a bigger hopper that feeds 300 paintballs at like 25 balls a second, that would be a big hit for people who play the backman or broadswrd positions and make them a whole lot happier. The 450 hoppers for the A-5's are sick and I love 'em!
Imminent Threat Scenario PaintBall Team (ITSPB)
Heavy Rifleman
Squad Leader, Charlie Team
My Feedback Page
Depression affects losers the most!
Proudly Sponsored By Urban Ops Paintball (www.uoarmory.com); Failure is Not an Option

#38 User is offline   Ghost_Wolf 

• Silent but Deadly.
  • PipPip

Posted 04 April 2007 - 08:01 PM

The ION makes a great all-around marker, though it specalizes in the lighter (sabre, dagger, or sniper) positions, it can lay paint too. I play as a sniper most of the time with my Blackcell Ion, but it works wonders as a broadsword too. The only problem is that at nearly 28 BPS, it eats my ammo supply too fast. I carry 1100 rounds (11 Q-pods) on the feild with me and if a game runs too long, i can find myself down to my last half a pod entierly too quickley.

That said: ignore all other boards, go for a T-board. None of the other ion boards out there ate truly honest-to-god uncapped. Without a T-board you're not going as fast as your upgrades can take you. Add a QEV and an Apex (boradsword) or Stiffi(sniper) barrel along with the Blackcell body and whatever stock fits you and you're in business. (a new bolt is a must too, go with an L6 or L7). You'll need a Halo or Q-loader to keep up with it, and the Q gives you a low profile, but to carry a ton of paint you'll be spending a ton on Q-pods ($20-30 a pop)

In all, it's a more expensive route than an A-5, but it;s lighter, faster, and quieter.
--Ghost_Wolf
IPB Image
IPB Image
IPB Image

#39 User is offline   Lil' C 

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Brigade Name:C

Posted 05 April 2007 - 10:28 PM

View Postbillybob, on Mar 20 2007, 10:47 PM, said:

...If you take an Ion and put a q lock (or other low-rise feedneck) on it and run a remote line, you'd have way less of a profile than any a5...

Posted Image
Ion ammo = 190
A-5 ammo = 330+
Sigs aren't actually allowed on the Special Ops Forum, so I don't have one.

#40 User is offline   billybob 

• PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 06 April 2007 - 04:59 PM

for one Lil C, that's not a low rise feedneck like I specified. And two, that's an evolution hopper, not really the smallest hopper in the game. And with the a5 you also have the cyclone sticking out on the side which gives you a higher heads-on profile and the bigger body on the a5 adds to the side profile. So if you go with, lets say a halo and a qlock, you have slightly less of an all around profile than you would with that a5 setup the way it is in your pic. It really doesn't matter though, in the end everyone should just get the setup they feel comfortable shooting.
"Life sucks" ~LT

#41 User is offline   Lil' C 

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Brigade Name:C

Post icon  Posted 07 April 2007 - 01:28 AM

View Postbillybob, on Apr 6 2007, 04:59 PM, said:

for one Lil C, that's not a low rise feedneck like I specified. And two, that's an evolution hopper...It really doesn't matter though, in the end everyone should just get the setup they feel comfortable shooting.

I agree completely with your last line, BB, and for the record I absolutely value your opinion. I'm just trying to separate assertions from facts.

As I implied in my footnote, at 330 rounds that's the second-biggest Cyclone hopper I could have put on the Tippmann, so if you want to shave millimeters off the Ion, at least compare it to an A-5 with a Ricochet R5 hopper (or an X-7 hopper) for a fair comparison. The Tippmann's vertical height will match or come under the Ion's.

Regardless, I still concur with your final conclusion. There are a lot of reasonable Broadsword kits out there, and matching the gun to the style, skill set, and personal preferences of the player is the way to go.
Sigs aren't actually allowed on the Special Ops Forum, so I don't have one.

Share this topic:

• (3 Pages)
  • +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users