Special Ops Paintball: Powertube/Front Bolt Replacement - Special Ops Paintball

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Powertube/Front Bolt Replacement How do you do it, what do you need?

#1 User is offline   Septimus 

• Ninja
  • Pip
  • Group: Members
  • Brigade Name:Septimus

Posted 06 March 2007 - 11:00 PM

Hey everyone. I got a longbow air-thru kit for my 98C and when I went to unscrew the old braided line from my stock powertube, it wouldn't come unscrewed. I mean, it REALLY wouldn't come unscrewed. I've been using extremely tight-fitting crescent wrenches on the bolt to try to unscrew it and it's just completely stripped. I sort of doubt I'll ever get it off of there now.

So, I got a new powertube/front bolt replacement from Dead-On, thinking I'd be able to screw the longbow kit line right into it and be ready to go. No such luck. The pin and such are all still attached to the old powertube and there is no way I'm getting them out of there. How does everyone else deal with this? Is there another Kit I have to buy? Where can I get it, what is it called?

Also, the line that came with the longbow kit is pretty short, so I don't know if it'll turn the corner it needs to in order to attach to the powertube, at least not without kinking. Unfortunately, in my rush to get the gun set up, I put the threaded end piece onto the macroline already and now I can't get it off. Is there a trick to that? I bought new macroline (longer, to allow a gentle curve into the gun) but I don't know how to detach the old one from the longbow stock so I can replace it.

Help!

*If this is better suited to the "Internals" thread, please let me know and I can move it*

*Edit*

Okay, I found the Valve assembly on tippmannparts.com (why doesn't Special Ops sell this?) and have ordered it. So now, adding the air-thru stock to my gun has cost me an extra $50+ just in getting the parts I need to connect the thing. i can't believe that everyone who gets an air-thru stock has to go through this. What's the deal?

*Re-Edit*

I got an e-mail back from Tippmann explaining that the threading is treated with Loctite to seal it, and that I should be able to unscrew it if I put it in a bench vise and use a 7/16" crescent wrench. I'll give it a try, but I don't know that I trust the plastic to survive such an activity, and I was already using that wrench and just holding the piece in my hand, and it was still stripping off the corners of the bolt. I can't imagine that putting it into a vise is going to change that aspect of it much, but I'll give it a try. I'm just glad I have a bench vise. Most people I know don't. What are they supposed to do?

*Re-re-edit*

Tried the bench vise and it worked. The macroline is still too short to fit, as it interferes with my trigger fingers. The thing is, it only needs to be maybe an inch longer to go up and around. Maybe when I get the 90║ elbow I purchased, that'll give it the little bit extra it needs. I now have a new valve on the way, but I'll have to send it back, I suppose. I don't know how to take the valve out of the powertube and put it in the new aluminum powertube I bought, but I'd like to do that at least. If anyone ever decides to respond to this thread, I'd appreciate any help anyone can offer.

*Re-re-re-edit* (It sound like the shower scene from Psycho now)

Okay, I got my new valve from tippmannparts.com and I got it put into the power tube, got everything bolted in, and I should be good to go. It turned out to be a very expensive endeavor, but if nothing else, I'll have two functioning sets of internals, so I won't be completely screwed if something happens to one. I'm still having problems with the macroline being a bit too short. If I could make a suggestion to Special Ops it would be that they extend it a bit and let people trim it to their own liking. I'd rather have the line go down low along the bottom of the trigger guard, than try to hug the gun and interfere with my fingers. I've got a longer piece, so I may try to change it out at some point if I find it gets to me too badly.

This post has been edited by Septimus: 16 March 2007 - 07:18 AM

IPB Image

You'll probably shoot me about 8 times per game, but I will totally have a witty comeback for each shot.

Share this topic:

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users