#31 User is offline   Lament 

• Sophomore Member
  • PipPipPip
  • Group: Members
  • Brigade Name:Lament

Posted 24 February 2007 - 08:18 PM

View PostGhost_Wolf, on Feb 23 2007, 07:17 PM, said:

View PostLament, on Feb 23 2007, 12:28 PM, said:

Understand this, in Football, the Ref's don't go out in pads and a helmet and tackle someone that violates the rules. In Racing, you don't see any of the officials out there in cars that crash into other Racers. As a Ref, you are in charge. If you feel that you have to use a pistol or marker to enforce the rules, then maybe reffing paintball is not for you.

yes but a pro football player isn't going to lay out the ref over a call, his career will be over (i.e. tossed from the league and the millions he makes are at stake. The player that shoots at you intentionally (and i don't mean pops you once, i mean lays into you as fast as his gun will) has little to lose other than getting called out.

View PostLament, on Feb 23 2007, 12:28 PM, said:

This is a case where maybe the owner of the field is not as concerned with safety and the customer's having fun as they should be

The player that gets shot and stays in is making the game un-fun and unfair to everyone else, let him suffer so the rule-following players can have a good time, and the cheater that overshoots is just as dangerous as a ref with a marker.

View PostSeaspray, on Feb 23 2007, 06:35 PM, said:

Seriously, if you telling someone to stop doing something and they don't listen what are 8 shots of paint going to do? Honestly? Now if you used 8 pepperballs you might be able to do something, like get your field into a lawsuit.

aim for a soft place, and paintballs will work wonders in compliance (and pepperballs = too expensive/hard to come by, and useless unless hitting bare skin, besides, legal issues)

It does not matter if we are talking rec ball or a competition, the ref's word is final at the time of the incident. If you think that you can get away with reffing a NPPL tournament and carrying a pistol to shoot any players that are breaking the rules, then more power to you. If you feel that you need a pistol to "help" an eliminated player understand that they are out, instead of simply calling out the player (Even from across the field) and going to them to let them know personally, then maybe you should reconsider being a ref. YOU are the person that is in charge. If you are the only ref in a group, and they are not listening to you, then you should talk to the people at your shack (Or whatever name you call the area where players pay field fees, sign insurance waivers, purchase paintballs, get air fills, and so on) and work things out with them. Maybe you will be replaced with another ref that handle the job, maybe the group is too unruly and will be asked to leave. But if you feel that you need a pistol to enforce the rules, then, in all honesty, and this is simply my opinion, perhaps you should not be reffing in the first place.

Also, if you feel that you have to shoot a player to get their attention and let them know that they are out for overshooting and such, then maybe you should get off the sidelines and actually walk the field and keep your eyes open for anything that indicates that people are not being safe or having fun. I am almost always in the middle of the field, and I get shot at a bit. I can take the hits (Plus I wear a bit of padding, since my adrenaline is not pumping like a majority of the paintball players on the field), and if I see someone playing on with a hit, or shooting people into oblivion, I have no problems with going to them (Running if I have to) and calling them out. Further, I will make sure that they don't play the next game with my group, and I will let the other refs know what happened and that the player is sitting out a game. And if they do try to sneak on, then they are done for the day.

Shooting like there is no tomorrow. For all we know, there is no tomorrow.

Team ForestFire!!!

Team Forest Demons!!!

#32 Guest_Dream of Nullification_*

• Group: Guests

Posted 24 February 2007 - 09:04 PM

yall talking about psychialy removing a player, you do realize thats assult and battery right? to touch another person in any way, even if to make them leave your property or business is an assult. the proper action is to call the police. just pointing that out

even threating to touch, harm or threat of using psychial force is considered assult and/or battery

#33 User is offline   Bielerga 

• The Chemist
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • Brigade Name:Seaspray

Posted 24 February 2007 - 10:22 PM

I'm really not sure where anyone said anything along these lines... quote please?
I am an arms dealer, fitting you with weapons in the form of words

BLOOD FEST OCT 27TH HALLOWEEN BIG GAME Oh,IN,KY Teams

#34 User is offline   Ghost_Wolf 

• Silent but Deadly.
  • PipPip

Posted 25 February 2007 - 09:52 AM

Never said i was reffing a pro tourney or anything, and You seem to think i'm some trigger happy tyrant shooting to make my rulings. I do "walk the field", they fields are too big to stand in one place. With two refs to a game, we're spread fairly thin. If i was standing still i wouldn't be doing my job. and someone could get hurt. I don't mind accidentally getting shot, that's what a shield is for. Usually I'm all over the place, field-repairing busted rentals from time to time. Twice i've lent my pistol to to those whose rentals hopelessly failed (i took their rent-a-gun, since you can't sign out without returning it)

Also I've only used my pistol about a half a dozen times. In the cases I've used it it was always after going over to a person and calling them out, but the orange mask REF vest and shield weren't enough authority for the guilty party. I never said anything about physically taking someone out either, that's asking to get sued. The only times i shoot someone are after they've broken the rules and ignored me calling them out.

anther thing i;d like to point out is that nearly all the refs here carry pistols, and ones that don't own one will just sign out a rental for the day.

and in the 10 shots vs 200 thing, I've got a 4 foot tall shield and my pistol's on a Q-loader. Shoot all he wants, he'll get nothing but splatter on me.
--Ghost_Wolf
IPB Image
IPB Image
IPB Image

#35 User is offline   Bielerga 

• The Chemist
  • PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 25 February 2007 - 10:14 AM

You shouldn't be reffin if you can't controll the game. You did have a valid arguement about having a pistol to lend to people if their rentals break but why not just carry an extra rental then? If you told a player to do something and they don't ask them to leave, if they don't leave call the police. A cell phone is a much better tool to a ref than a pistol.

#36 User is offline   TREE FITTY 

• Time to get to business...
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • Brigade Name:TIPPMANN6791

Posted 25 February 2007 - 10:38 AM

Pistols are just for intimidating looks. I'd carry one if I was a ref. It's a deterrant from messing with him. Yes, you should be able to control the game without shooting people. I'm just saying it would be cool to see a ref with a pistol.

did I die for a second there?...

#37 User is offline   Ghost_Wolf 

• Silent but Deadly.
  • PipPip

Posted 25 February 2007 - 02:05 PM

The problem here is that the owner gets mad if we throw someone out, so the cops aren't an option when you just want to get someone off the field. also, tree fiftty hit the nail on the head. In the same way mil-sim gear and hammer guns or a ghillie suit can freak out new people, armed refs can make people think twice about doing something stupid.

I can see what you mean where you say a ref with a pistol can do more harm than good, but bottom line, i'd rather have it and not need it than need it and not have it. (same reason i bring 3 markers and more tools than you find in the average garage to the field with me on game day)
--Ghost_Wolf
IPB Image
IPB Image
IPB Image

#38 User is offline   Firemarine 

• The Drunken Swede
  • PipPipPip
  • Brigade Name:FIREMARINE

Posted 02 March 2007 - 12:05 PM

when me and my friends play, we make a note to give our volunteer refs a pistol. for two reasons.

1) So you won't argue about being out.
2) So they can return fire against anyone trigger happy.
  • 'Former' U.S. Marine 0311 Oorah! - Volunteer Firefighter - Martial Artist

#39 User is offline   emr_ambush_alpha67 

• ambush AkA the law
  • PipPipPip
  • Brigade Name:ambush_alpha67

Posted 02 March 2007 - 12:47 PM

bbbbbbaaaaaddddd idea... dont forget they have more paintballs then you and if u shoot at someone that shot at u on acident then your gona loose buisness
~RIP~ Owego Outlaws
NJ TITANS!!! HOW WE ROLLL!!!! SOOOOOUUUTTTHHHH SSSIIIDDDEEE!!!!
~I AM THE SLINKEY~

#40 User is offline   Ghost_Wolf 

• Silent but Deadly.
  • PipPip

Posted 03 March 2007 - 09:18 AM

View Postemr_ambush_alpha67, on Mar 2 2007, 02:47 PM, said:

bbbbbbaaaaaddddd idea... dont forget they have more paintballs then you and if u shoot at someone that shot at u on acident then your gona loose buisness

^if you read the previous posts, i have a shield and a 100 rounds on my pistol, and i don't mind the occasional accidental shot by a nub, but someone unloading on you because they don't like you deserves to be shot back.
--Ghost_Wolf
IPB Image
IPB Image
IPB Image

#41 User is offline   Bielerga 

• The Chemist
  • PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 04 March 2007 - 03:25 PM

Someone unloading on you as the ref should be kicked off the field. If your owner has a problem with you kicking someone off the field who shoots the ref 30 times... heck anyone 30 times than you should not be reffing and they should not own a field.

#42 User is offline   emr_ambush_alpha67 

• ambush AkA the law
  • PipPipPip
  • Brigade Name:ambush_alpha67

Posted 07 March 2007 - 01:07 PM

ok like i have said in the shield thread... first off what kind are u playing?? if you playing close qouarters then sometimes u can help it. but if your playing on a open speeedball then ya just kick them out. but like at castle conquest you will come out battered scared and bruised with probly 2 or 3 cases shot at your shield.
~RIP~ Owego Outlaws
NJ TITANS!!! HOW WE ROLLL!!!! SOOOOOUUUTTTHHHH SSSIIIDDDEEE!!!!
~I AM THE SLINKEY~

Share this topic:

• (3 Pages)
  • +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users