• You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

pistol cool to carry one? Rate Topic: -----

#16 User is offline   Ghost_Wolf 

• Silent but Deadly.
  • PipPip
  • Group: Members

Posted 22 February 2007 - 11:58 PM

I think you've got the wrong idea about refs with markers. You all seem to think that we mean the refs are using the markers to make the call, i.e out of laziness, not wanting to walk to the player. All refs at my field always carry, and i do when i help out there, but this is not the reason. I support armed refs as a method of instant assertion of authority. Around here a lot of the refs are semi volunteers. On an average day, there's two pro refs total. One runs speed ball by himself while the other takes groups out to the woods ball fields with one of the more experienced players lending a hand for the game by grabbing an orange mask and a shield. When people see you as a player one game then as a ref the next they view you as a "second rate" ref that they don't really have to listen to. This is when you get their attention using the pistol and make them listen. The other time is when your shot at intentionally. The owner doesn't like us throwing people out unless they do something REALLY stupid and/or dangerous, and if you tell them to sit a game, they usually just sneak off to speed ball for a game, leaving you no real penalty for shooting you. If you call them out for it, they'll generally argue with you and make a nuisance of themselves. Shooting back is simpler and you can just keep your shield in their direction afterwards.

This post has been edited by Ghost_Wolf: 23 February 2007 - 12:21 AM

--Ghost_Wolf
IPB Image
IPB Image
IPB Image

#17 Guest_Dream of Nullification_*

• Group: Guests

Posted 23 February 2007 - 12:14 AM

plus it helps if someone is overshooting someone who is out. a paintball travels faster than running over and drop kicking him cause he wont let up on the trigger so the one who is out can leave

#18 User is offline   emr_ambush_alpha67 

• ambush AkA the law
  • PipPipPip
  • Brigade Name:ambush_alpha67

Posted 23 February 2007 - 01:10 AM

only time iv ever carried a pistol as a ref was when we had a bunch of buff, overbearing, guys in a batchelorparty. our boss was like, theses guys seem a bit rody... if they start any toruble with you like coming at you radio in and try to stop them a.s.a.p.... it was a tiberieus arms pistol so sence there was alot of them we carriend 2 extra clips as well... never had to use them so we had a western style bandit game after it was all done and over wiht... jumping , rolling and diving from barrels and walking like cowboys was fun... lol god would i love to be 12 again....
~RIP~ Owego Outlaws
NJ TITANS!!! HOW WE ROLLL!!!! SOOOOOUUUTTTHHHH SSSIIIDDDEEE!!!!
~I AM THE SLINKEY~

#19 Guest_Dream of Nullification_*

Posted 23 February 2007 - 02:50 AM

you should of done some quickdraw matches

#20 User is offline   Duran 

• "Hey, can I borrow five paintballs?"
  • PipPip
  • Brigade Name:Duran

Posted 23 February 2007 - 04:18 AM

For insurance reasons, I'm going to gave to say no

#21 User is offline   Lament 

• Sophomore Member
  • PipPipPip
  • Brigade Name:Lament

Posted 23 February 2007 - 10:28 AM

View PostGhost_Wolf, on Feb 22 2007, 10:58 PM, said:

I think you've got the wrong idea about refs with markers. You all seem to think that we mean the refs are using the markers to make the call, i.e out of laziness, not wanting to walk to the player. All refs at my field always carry, and i do when i help out there, but this is not the reason. I support armed refs as a method of instant assertion of authority. Around here a lot of the refs are semi volunteers. On an average day, there's two pro refs total. One runs speed ball by himself while the other takes groups out to the woods ball fields with one of the more experienced players lending a hand for the game by grabbing an orange mask and a shield. When people see you as a player one game then as a ref the next they view you as a "second rate" ref that they don't really have to listen to. This is when you get their attention using the pistol and make them listen. The other time is when your shot at intentionally. The owner doesn't like us throwing people out unless they do something REALLY stupid and/or dangerous, and if you tell them to sit a game, they usually just sneak off to speed ball for a game, leaving you no real penalty for shooting you. If you call them out for it, they'll generally argue with you and make a nuisance of themselves. Shooting back is simpler and you can just keep your shield in their direction afterwards.

This is a case where maybe the owner of the field is not as concerned with safety and the customer's having fun as they should be. Again, simply my opinion, but if you have one ref in the woods, and you have more than 20 people playing, how effective can the ref be? And if the paid ref (Not neccesarily a professional ref) needs help, then it should be made clear that the person(s) helping are to be treated with the same respect as the ref that is in charge. I know that I do that with groups that I ref if I am getting help. I also let people know if there is an observer as well.

You don't have to throw anyone out if they are shooting you, as the Ref, intentionally. You can't shoot back at them, but you can call them out.

View PostDream of Nullification, on Feb 22 2007, 11:14 PM, said:

plus it helps if someone is overshooting someone who is out. a paintball travels faster than running over and drop kicking him cause he wont let up on the trigger so the one who is out can leave

But the paintball does not have the authority of a Ref coming over and calling the person out. And there is no reason that a Ref should ever get physical with a player, short of that player getting physical with the Ref in the first place and the Ref simply protecting him or herself.

Understand this, in Football, the Ref's don't go out in pads and a helmet and tackle someone that violates the rules. In Racing, you don't see any of the officials out there in cars that crash into other Racers. As a Ref, you are in charge. If you feel that you have to use a pistol or marker to enforce the rules, then maybe reffing paintball is not for you.

Shooting like there is no tomorrow. For all we know, there is no tomorrow.

Team ForestFire!!!

Team Forest Demons!!!

#22 User is offline   Dr. Wiggy 

• "God. Duty. Honor. Country."
  • PipPipPip
  • Brigade Name:Dr. Wiggy

Post icon  Posted 23 February 2007 - 02:51 PM

Understand this, in Football, the Ref's don't go out in pads and a helmet and tackle someone that violates the rules. In Racing, you don't see any of the officials out there in cars that crash into other Racers. As a Ref, you are in charge. If you feel that you have to use a pistol or marker to enforce the rules, then maybe reffing paintball is not for you.

It doesn't get much plainer than that boys...........

Nice post!

God Bless,
Doc

The honorable freak of nature; Dr. Wiggy presiding.
Posted Image
The "Suicidal Ref"

Become Elite. Don't Cheat.

#23 Guest_Jester3_*

Posted 23 February 2007 - 03:59 PM

I'm not a fan of carrying a pistol, it's just not how a ref should do his job IMO.

#24 User is offline   Lil' C 

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Brigade Name:C

Post icon  Posted 23 February 2007 - 04:20 PM

View PostDream of Nullification, on Feb 21 2007, 08:05 PM, said:

do yall think it would be cool for a ref to carry a pistol on the feild so if you see someone cheating or should be eliminated instead of yelling at him over everything eles you can just pop him with a paintball...

No.
Sigs aren't actually allowed on the Special Ops Forum, so I don't have one.

#25 User is offline   Bielerga 

• The Chemist
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • Brigade Name:Seaspray

Posted 23 February 2007 - 04:35 PM

Seriously, if you telling someone to stop doing something and they don't listen what are 8 shots of paint going to do? Honestly? Now if you used 8 pepperballs you might be able to do something, like get your field into a lawsuit.
I am an arms dealer, fitting you with weapons in the form of words

BLOOD FEST OCT 27TH HALLOWEEN BIG GAME Oh,IN,KY Teams

#26 User is offline   Ghost_Wolf 

• Silent but Deadly.
  • PipPip

Posted 23 February 2007 - 08:17 PM

View PostLament, on Feb 23 2007, 12:28 PM, said:

yes but a pro football player isn't going to lay out the ref over a call, his career will be over (i.e. tossed from the league and the millions he makes are at stake. The player that shoots at you intentionally (and i don't mean pops you once, i mean lays into you as fast as his gun will) has little to lose other than getting called out.

View PostLament, on Feb 23 2007, 12:28 PM, said:

This is a case where maybe the owner of the field is not as concerned with safety and the customer's having fun as they should be

The player that gets shot and stays in is making the game un-fun and unfair to everyone else, let him suffer so the rule-following players can have a good time, and the cheater that overshoots is just as dangerous as a ref with a marker.

View PostSeaspray, on Feb 23 2007, 06:35 PM, said:

Seriously, if you telling someone to stop doing something and they don't listen what are 8 shots of paint going to do? Honestly? Now if you used 8 pepperballs you might be able to do something, like get your field into a lawsuit.

aim for a soft place, and paintballs will work wonders in compliance (and pepperballs = too expensive/hard to come by, and useless unless hitting bare skin, besides, legal issues)
--Ghost_Wolf
IPB Image
IPB Image
IPB Image

#27 User is offline   Bielerga 

• The Chemist
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • Brigade Name:Seaspray

Posted 23 February 2007 - 08:35 PM

I might be wasting my time but you just don't get it, esp since you didn't get the joke I made about the pepperballs. So this player who doesn't care about breaking the rules and isn't going to sit out is some how magically going to stop because he doesn't want you to shoot him with a paintball? No way in hell.

I honestly think lamet said it best, you have more power as a ref than a little paintball pistol can ever give you. And I don't think anyone is trying to say a ref with a marker is dangerous just that all it can lead to is problems. If players break the rules sit them out and watch them, if they continue or make a semi-large break in the rules send them home, if you have a continous problem with the player ban them from the field AND let other fields in the area know to be on the lookout. Finally if they still come back and insist on playing call the police.

Listen I understand if playing with a paintball pistol makes you feel cool, and wearing it gives you a sense of confidence but lets be real, all it can do is cause problems that should be solved by sitting down and talking to a player.
I am an arms dealer, fitting you with weapons in the form of words

BLOOD FEST OCT 27TH HALLOWEEN BIG GAME Oh,IN,KY Teams

#28 User is offline   emr_ambush_alpha67 

• ambush AkA the law
  • PipPipPip
  • Brigade Name:ambush_alpha67

Posted 23 February 2007 - 11:29 PM

im sorry but any amount of shots to the right spot on a person will stop them dead in there tracks. and though i dont cadone the use of a pistol as a ref and like i said i only have carried one once and i was glad i didnt have to use it. but in some situations liek mine... it helps to keep people in like when you are screwing around shooting penuts on the field with the pistol... lol
~RIP~ Owego Outlaws
NJ TITANS!!! HOW WE ROLLL!!!! SOOOOOUUUTTTHHHH SSSIIIDDDEEE!!!!
~I AM THE SLINKEY~

#29 User is offline   loyats 

• Just a Regular Joe
  • PipPipPip
  • Brigade Name:Loyats

Posted 24 February 2007 - 04:34 AM

I am going to have to go with the "no" crew on this one. Although it sounds like it could be handy in some cases, I'd rather ruin business by physically removing a person (since we don't want their kind of business anyhow). And about the legal issue, for one, they're on private property (unless your at an outlaw game), and two, paintball guns are still for all intents and purposes firearms (hence manufacturers ahving to have a firearms permit) and so you've pretty much got a less-than-equivelent force case (he had a gun, you use physcial restraining techniques).

And physically tossing someone out of someplace is always more fun after they don't listen to you when you asked them nicely the first time. B)

#30 User is offline   Meyou 

• Forum Member
  • PipPip
  • Brigade Name:Meyou

Posted 24 February 2007 - 02:40 PM

I'm gonna say no too. Reason being, you only have 8-10 shots, they have 200. And more than likely, their friends have 200 too. I dunno about you, but that doesn't sound fair to me. I'd rather just yell at them, as apparantly I'm very loud and intimidating when Marshalling, having once put the fear of god into a man by yelling "Goggles on" at him loud enough to be heard from the safe zone.

There is a small exception. Sometimes, if I'm getting on well with a group, everythings going good, and I'm taking them out for the final Free-For-All game I usually run to use up any paint they have left over, I'll take two or three paintballs out with me and shoot at those I know will see the funny side of it. I dont mind if they shoot back, because after all, I'm a Ref, and I've been hit a couple dozen times earlier in the day anyway.
IPB Image
IPB Image
IPB Image
IPB Image
Tenacious Needs YOU! | WDR
Aspie 'Baller

Share this topic:

• (3 Pages)
  • +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic