• You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Prone for long periods how do you prevent cramp (and others) Rate Topic: -----

#1 User is offline   Bufger 

• Forum Newbie
  • Pip
  • Group: Members

Posted 23 June 2010 - 12:41 AM

So im not a sniper but ive been in the position before where ive been prone and completely still/silent for an hour whilst giving intel on enemy movements (right place right time so it was the most useful thing i could do). Now im not trained or experienced in this kind of thing so i broke my shape up as good as possible by putting one leg upwards against a tree trunk and the other hooked around it at a weird angle (i figured it may be easier to pick out a normal lying down shape). I was in the shadow of a bigger tree and i had my gun close to me but not in a fire ready position as i was mainly there to call out enemy movements.

About 15 minutes into this position i got the worst cramp in both legs so i moved them and tried to push the balls of my feet against the tree to get rid of it. The next 40 minutes was agony and had me getting constant cramp i couldnt get rid of! I loved the job i was doing and i would certainly be interested in playing the sniper role to improve my all round woodsball skills but the thought of going prone for a long time brings back memories of that pain and discomfort.

Any tips on how i can beat cramp?

I was hydrated before the mission but never take water onto the field (i'd need a camelback which wont fit my vest)
My general level of fitness is just average.

I noticed in one post (with pics on positioning) someone mentioned pointing toes but i couldnt see how and which way (out to sides, out backwards etc) as the pics didnt show it clearly.

I appreciate any advice :rolleyes:

#2 User is offline   The Bear 

• The Bear
  • PipPip
  • Brigade Name:Ghost Bear

Posted 23 June 2010 - 07:43 PM

Probably the best idea is to not have your legs at odd angles, even though it helps to break up your outline. The idea of the prone position is to be completely flat to the ground, legs spread slightly and use your elbows to support yourself and steady your marker. I've been able to stay comfortable this way for a long time, though you may not want to stay on your elbows the whole time. Odd angles and pressure will put your limbs to sleep and trying to hold unnatural positions will give you cramps. Also make sure your drinking plenty of water, dehydration can cause cramps, too.

Bear
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image

#3 User is offline   Down Range Pain 

• Holy Necropost Batman!
  • PipPipPip

Posted 24 June 2010 - 09:47 PM

a pair of binoculars would do dude

but if not, go to ur local surplus store see if they have camo netting or ghilly blankets...hit tht with local foiliage and ur got something to break up outlines good.
Returning hate for hate multiplies hate, adding deeper darkness to a night already devoid of stars. Darkness cannot drive out darkness: only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate: only love can do that.” --Martin Luther King Jr.

"Victory is a very dangerous oppertunity" --General Andre Beaufre

#4 User is offline   Phobeus 

• You can't kill what you can't see...
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Brigade Name:The Bushman

Posted 28 June 2010 - 08:29 AM

do you stretch before the game?
one of my biggest problems comes from not being fully stretched, thats when I get the worst cramps. But also how are you hydrating yourself? Water alone won't keep you from cramping, you need like a 50/50 of gatorade and water (an emt told me this, also it tastes bad).
but as said before don't hold your legs at weird angles

#5 User is offline   The Baroness 

• Forum Member
  • PipPip
  • Brigade Name:Baroness

Posted 28 June 2010 - 08:52 AM

I heard that eating a Banana is a great way of getting quick Potassium into ur system especially when ur running and playing in the scenerio games and it a great way to prevent cramps...I noticed for a while I would wake up in the middle of the night with really bad charlie horses and my doctor friend told me that mabye my Potassium level was low causing me to cramp up...I started eating more banana's and it's really helped.
The object of war is not to die for your country but to make the other bastard die for his.”
CONTRACTED MURDER, DEATH, KILLER
TEAM ON TARGET

#6 User is offline   Bufger 

• Forum Newbie
  • Pip

Posted 29 June 2010 - 07:36 AM

Thanks for the tips everyone.

I played a scenario game on Sunday and spent half an hour prone with no problems. I do think the gatorade/water mix will help and i'll also stock up on the bananas as they're a great quick source of energy too.

Appreciate your help :laugh:

#7 User is offline   Iron__Man 

• My boomstick is bigger than yours...
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Brigade Name:Iron_Man

Posted 17 August 2010 - 12:39 AM

banana banana banana... the 3 secrets to no cramps. ;)

also, peanut butter sammiches with banana will keep you chock full of energy and keep soreness and cramps to a minimum.
Posted Image Posted Image
THE DEATH BUNNIES! - We hate your face!-

#8 User is offline   The Scout 

• Penny for the gurney
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • Brigade Name:The Scout

Posted 19 August 2010 - 02:37 PM

I'm no Sniper or anything like that. I can't claim to be an expert but I can tell you what little I've learned being in the Marines so far. That is this, if its hard as hell and its way more complex than need be, then you probably shouldn't do it. All that Ricky Recon crap where there creeping up crossing their legs and tip toeing around, its all movies. Same should go for setting up in the prone position.

Now as I said before, I'm not a sniper, but I am a Machine Gunner. And when we set up we don't make complicated positions that leave us dying after 15 minutes. Usually you end up with a poor view and it takes you long as all get out to get the hell out of Dodge. Do what works, not what looks cool or what they do in the movies.

If you can't fit a cameback on your vest then take a look at what you've got and see what doesn't belong. I know a lot of gear looks cool and I was same way, I wanted a bunch of crap too before I joined the Corps. But now I only take what I need, the rest gets in the way and just adds more weight. Being effective without having a bunch of fancy gear is better than laying there in the dirt and being lit up wearing your fancy gear. Maybe you don't think you have unnecessary gear but I dunno, I can fit a camelback on MY flak, and I gotta carry lot more than you guys do for paintball.

Just my opinion, to each his own though.
Official Pump Owner #98
"Maybe God keeps us on earth, just like we have beef farms for cows. Then, when we die he eats us... I just freaked myself out. Be right back, I gotta go pray"-Kook

#9 User is offline   milsim berry 

• PUNISHER
  • PipPip
  • Brigade Name:MILSIM_BERRY

Posted 23 September 2010 - 04:42 AM

BANNANANANS
Christian paintballer
USMC Semper Fi
LOOKING FOR A TEAM
Posted Image
Posted Image