• Group: Members
  • Brigade Name:Seaspray

Posted 10 August 2007 - 10:19 AM

View Postrightintheface, on Aug 10 2007, 11:37 AM, said:

View PostBielerga, on Aug 9 2007, 01:12 PM, said:

View Postrightintheface, on Aug 9 2007, 02:55 PM, said:

View PostBielerga, on Aug 9 2007, 11:51 AM, said:

View Postrightintheface, on Aug 9 2007, 02:30 PM, said:

The field where I'm (about to start) reffing uses 'the forty second rule'. They notice that during safety briefings people drift off after about 40 seconds. So every forty seconds during your briefing, you either scream something, tell a joke, or dry fire a rental marker 2-3 times. Brings people right back in. Not saying that'll completely stop the problem, but it does seem to help with attention.

Top 10 reasons why dry firing a marker is bad while giving a safety briefing.... 1 thru 10 YOUR GIVING A SAFETY BRIEFING!

dry firing a marker is one of the most unsafe practices at a paintball field. I would re think doing this. If you speak loud and keep the audience engaged they will pay attention. Telling jokes, stories, or just changing the tone of your voice (public speaking skills people) are all good ideas.

I should clarify...a marker with a barrel condom secured and no hopper attached. And personally checked by the ref giving the talk.

Again still, dry firing a marker is one of the most unsafe practices at a paintball field. I would re think doing this. Anything a ref does should be ok for a player to do. And dry firing is a very slippery slope.

Excuse the potentially stupid question, but what's unsafe about dry firing in this context? I fail to see the danger.

There are no stupid questions in regards to safety man. Here is why dry firing a marker is potentially dangerous. You the ref take the time to check to make sure its unloaded that the barrel bag is on and that your not pointing it at a person. However the number one rule to gun safety is don't shoot at something you don't intend to kill so you really shouldn't pull the trigger in the first place. But since you are pretty sure its unloaded you pull the trigger and fire off a few dry shots. As soon as you dry fire once, it is OK for everyone else to dry fire as well, at least in some peoples minds. So now that its ok to fire a marker when no games are going on some people will, and not think its as big of a deal. However they will most likely have paint in their barrel and hopefully a barrel bag will catch it but there is always a chance it wont. So not only will you have players "attempting" to dry fire which could end up with your rental guns full of paint and potentially people getting shot.

So set the example strait and make people feel that even putting your finger on the trigger when there is not a game going on is a huge deal.
I am an arms dealer, fitting you with weapons in the form of words

BLOOD FEST OCT 27TH HALLOWEEN BIG GAME Oh,IN,KY Teams

#17 User is offline   andrew1987 

• Sophomore Member
  • PipPipPip
  • Brigade Name:beat box

Posted 10 August 2007 - 01:31 PM

View Postrightintheface, on Aug 10 2007, 08:37 AM, said:

The field where I'm (about to start) reffing uses 'the forty second rule'. They notice that during safety briefings people drift off after about 40 seconds. So every forty seconds during your briefing, you either scream something, tell a joke, or dry fire a rental marker 2-3 times. Brings people right back in. Not saying that'll completely stop the problem, but it does seem to help with attention.

Top 10 reasons why dry firing a marker is bad while giving a safety briefing.... 1 thru 10 YOUR GIVING A SAFETY BRIEFING!

dry firing a marker is one of the most unsafe practices at a paintball field. I would re think doing this. If you speak loud and keep the audience engaged they will pay attention. Telling jokes, stories, or just changing the tone of your voice (public speaking skills people) are all good ideas.

I should clarify...a marker with a barrel condom secured and no hopper attached. And personally checked by the ref giving the talk.

Again still, dry firing a marker is one of the most unsafe practices at a paintball field. I would re think doing this. Anything a ref does should be ok for a player to do. And dry firing is a very slippery slope.

Excuse the potentially stupid question, but what's unsafe about dry firing in this context? I fail to see the danger.

the danger is not dry fireing it self, but if players see that then they asume that its ok
the line between a ref dry fireing a empty hopperless barrle baged marker and a player fireing a loaded un baged marker is not a line at all in the eyes of a renter

#18 User is offline   rightintheface 

• Forum Member
  • PipPip

Posted 10 August 2007 - 06:13 PM

View PostBielerga, on Aug 10 2007, 10:19 AM, said:

View Postrightintheface, on Aug 10 2007, 11:37 AM, said:

There are no stupid questions in regards to safety man. Here is why dry firing a marker is potentially dangerous. You the ref take the time to check to make sure its unloaded that the barrel bag is on and that your not pointing it at a person. However the number one rule to gun safety is don't shoot at something you don't intend to kill so you really shouldn't pull the trigger in the first place. But since you are pretty sure its unloaded you pull the trigger and fire off a few dry shots. As soon as you dry fire once, it is OK for everyone else to dry fire as well, at least in some peoples minds. So now that its ok to fire a marker when no games are going on some people will, and not think its as big of a deal. However they will most likely have paint in their barrel and hopefully a barrel bag will catch it but there is always a chance it wont. So not only will you have players "attempting" to dry fire which could end up with your rental guns full of paint and potentially people getting shot.

So set the example strait and make people feel that even putting your finger on the trigger when there is not a game going on is a huge deal.

I would disagree with you...but I've seen too many BOINKing morons out there. You're right.

This post has been edited by ghostinthewood: 13 August 2007 - 09:21 AM
Reason for edit: FIlter Dodge

Share this topic:

• (2 Pages)
  • +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users