Special Ops Paintball: Teflon Coated internals - Special Ops Paintball

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Teflon Coated internals

#1 Guest_Cesar_*

• Group: Guests

Posted 13 February 2009 - 11:02 AM

i was just thinking.....why not use some spray-on teflon coating to coat the internals(i was thinking of a 98c or other older blowback marker)....

...in theory it should work.....or am i missing something?.....'cause in my mind, Teflon coating + a bit of oil would produce a nearly friction free system....

This post has been edited by Cesar: 13 February 2009 - 11:02 AM

#2 User is offline   Niceguy74 

• Sophomore Member
  • PipPipPip
  • Group: Members

Posted 13 February 2009 - 11:43 AM

i use spray on white lithium grease.

#3 User is offline   Maj Tom 

• This is the funvee. Not the humdrumvee
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Retired/Inactive Moderator
  • Brigade Name:Maj Tom

Posted 13 February 2009 - 12:06 PM

Well Teflon sprays don't leave a hard coating, it leaves a powdery Teflon residue after it drys.That is the "lubricant" in that product, same with triflow, or and graphite lube. The liquid is just an application medium.

#4 User is offline   Violator 

• The Pirate King / Grammar Cop
  • PipPipPip
  • Brigade Name:The Violator

Posted 13 February 2009 - 02:12 PM

Indeed- real Teflon coating like on pans and such is an involved process involving chemicals and heat, so that's probably why we haven't seen it in any internals (yet.) It would work, just like the pans do with a little oil, but I imagine the cost and difficulty are a bit too much, especially if the marker has any plastic parts.

For now, your best bet is polishing and a good quality lube/oil.
This, is my BOOMSTICK!-Ash... (395 Brownie Pts)...Where do you keep your Bucccaneers? Under Me Buckin' Hat!

Ever fire two guns whilst jumping thru the air? No. Ever fire one gun whilst jumping thru the air? No!

#5 Guest_Cesar_*

• Group: Guests

Posted 13 February 2009 - 02:36 PM

this seems to be a "Spray-on" teflon coating....

#6 User is offline   Violator 

• The Pirate King / Grammar Cop
  • PipPipPip
  • Brigade Name:The Violator

Posted 13 February 2009 - 02:43 PM

It's not as durable as the real thing- more like a glorified spray-on lube. Notice it said, "resists rub-off" which means it will wear off, just not as fast as other lubes. I imagine it would wear off quicker in the high-stress environment of a marker's internals, but it could be a decent in-between solution. I'd just be careful about temperatures that it works in, as you don't want to create clog of frozen crap in your gun, if you're running CO2.

Looks like it's worth investigating, though.

This post has been edited by Violator: 13 February 2009 - 02:45 PM

This, is my BOOMSTICK!-Ash... (395 Brownie Pts)...Where do you keep your Bucccaneers? Under Me Buckin' Hat!

Ever fire two guns whilst jumping thru the air? No. Ever fire one gun whilst jumping thru the air? No!

#7 User is offline   josef_k 

• WWII mod-o-holic
  • PipPipPip
  • Brigade Name:Josef_K

Posted 13 February 2009 - 08:23 PM

While PTFE (what most people know as Teflon) is very "slippery" it isn't the most effective material for all applications. If the goal is a low-friction mechanical surface, the grade of machining/tolerences has to be improved first (i.e. putting a baked-in/fused teflon surface on a Tippmann receiver is asking for failure) but there's no reason a powder lubricant couldn't be used for some applications. However, I very much doubt anybody would see any improvements (if even any improvements that were signficant enough to be measurable) given the typical duty cycles and usage of any given paintball marker product. Atop that, PTFE lube could interfere with gasket sealing and if improperly used could give you some nasty air leaks (I've seen it happen on an Ion). POM (acetal resin), also commonly known as Delrin, is more than a good enough change from using a nylon or HDPE as a mechanical bearing surface and is immensely cheaper than bothering with PTFE. Using a UHMWPE (a step beyond HDPE) is technically superior to PTFE though and typically easier to implement.

This post has been edited by josef_k: 13 February 2009 - 08:27 PM

There are 101 types of people: those who understand binary, those who don't, and those who just can't count.

Share this topic:

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users