• You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

looking for a gun you know more than i do Rate Topic: -----

#1 User is offline   Crae Z Azian 

• Forum Member
  • PipPip
  • Group: Members

Posted 05 November 2007 - 04:37 PM

I am thinking about getting a pump. I am on a budget. Mowing lawns only gets you so far. Anyway i have never played pump before and I heard alot of people that have switched from semi and have really enjoyed it. If you guys could give me a list of guns that would be good for a person who is just trying to get into pump play. I also want a gun that does not cost a whole lot and find out i dont like it as much as i thought i would. Also good sites and things to look for if i decide to get a pump. Thanks for the help.

#2 User is offline   Not_You 

• Lather, Rinse, Repeat as Desired.
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • Brigade Name:98customizer

Posted 05 November 2007 - 05:40 PM

pgp, phantom, buzzard

in order of price

you should probably start with a PGP, you can get pre 2k ones around $80
Group: Banned #2
Pirate - "Seriously, I hope you hit this kid over the head with something very, very heavy. Like a truck."

#3 User is offline   sup909 

• DynamicInterplay.com
  • PipPip
  • Brigade Name:Sup

Posted 05 November 2007 - 07:46 PM

You can pick up a Maverick for around $70-$80
http://www.bulldogpa...m/maverick.html
http://www.anythingxtreme.com/ACI-Maverick...11888C2909.aspx

It is simple and effective and it has good reviews.
http://www.pbreview....cts/reviews/61/

If you are up to a little building, Autocockers are super cheap right now and you can pick up a trilogy tactical for as low as $47 or a Pro Stock for $62 at Actionvillage. Then purchase a pump kit for them for around $40. I suppose the benefit with that is that you will have more options with regards to barrel upgrades.

#4 User is offline   Matt 

• ELITE Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 05 November 2007 - 07:48 PM

View Postsup909, on Nov 5 2007, 08:46 PM, said:

You can pick up a Maverick for around $70-$80
http://www.bulldogpa...m/maverick.html
http://www.anythingxtreme.com/ACI-Maverick...11888C2909.aspx

It is simple and effective and it has good reviews.
http://www.pbreview....cts/reviews/61/

If you are up to a little building, Autocockers are super cheap right now and you can pick up a trilogy tactical for as low as $47 or a Pro Stock for $62 at Actionvillage. Then purchase a pump kit for them for around $40. I suppose the benefit with that is that you will have more options with regards to barrel upgrades.

I believe trillies and regular autocockers take the same barrels that wouldnt be a problem. Just regular cockers have more upgrades when it comes to bolts, choice of pump kits, and a few other things.

#5 User is offline   greezypete 

• IBEW LU 1141 , OKC
  • PipPipPip
  • Brigade Name:greezypete

Posted 05 November 2007 - 07:55 PM

View Postsup909, on Nov 5 2007, 08:46 PM, said:

Definately the way to go right now. As cheap as prostocks are right now , you cant go wrong.

Just get a cheap pump kit for now , just to make sure you like it. I got a team hooptie kit on ebay for $15 last week.

Then upgrade to a better pump kit later if you decide you like it.

#6 User is offline   Aegis 

• Pronounced EE-jis
  • PipPipPip
  • Brigade Name:Aegis

Posted 05 November 2007 - 08:09 PM

Pumps come in two real designs, Nelson Valve and Sheridan. People argue the merits, but that's not really important, as both work well. What is important for a new player is to decide whether they want to go Stock Class or Open Class. Open Class allows for the use of larger air tanks and hoppers. Stock Class has requires that only a 12 gram cartridge and a rock and cock stick feed of only 15 rounds or less be used. There are further differentiations (auto triggers, porting, air placement, etc), but as time goes on, they seem to be less of a concern. So take that into account when looking at pumps.

In order of price:

PGP and PGP 2k: Both go for around 80, stock. PGP 2k would be the better choice for a new player, as it includes a Fasstchanger and RVA stock, as well as easier to mess with internals, while the original PGPs do not. You get more bragging rights with the PGP, though. These are essentially pump pistols. You can't run constant air on them without heavy modifications, and you can't do hoppers without even more modification.

Mavericks or Traccers: Basic, work horse pump markers. Maybe 15 to 20 more than a PGP. These are set up to run on hoppers and usually back bottles, as opposed to a stock feed and a 12 gram; though you can make your own stock feed from PVC and get a 12 gram adapter for 20-30 usually.

Snipers: Auto Cockers with pump kits. With the market bottoming out for older autocockers, you can pick up a new one for around 60 and slap on an economy pump kit for 30-40, or a deluxe one for more, depending (the pump stroke is generally smoother on the more expensive kits). These are generally open class rigs, with hoppers and back bottles. Though like mavericks and tracers, you can change em over without a whole lot of trouble.

SL-68 and SL-68II: Tippmann Pump, its kinda what you would expect from a tippmann. No real frills, but a solid piece of gear. Again, open configuration as opposed to stock class. Generally see em for around 160-180.

Sterlings: Rather uncommon, but another nice pump. Ballpark price range is probably 200 or so, I seldom see these in BST forums and as a result, don't know much about them, other than that they tend to be considered on par with basic phantoms.

Phantom: I kinda think Phantom's are the best buy of the lot listed; Generally, they're considered to be the high-end-before-you-start-paying-ridiculous-amounts-for-a-pump pump. Each one is turned out on a more or less individual basis, and is pretty much everything a pump should be. Lightweight, extremely efficient (30-45 shots per 12 gram on a good day), has a good customer service record, a stock barrel that most never bother replacing, and is easily customizable with well made kits from the maker. You can set it up for 12 grams, vertical air, drop out 12 grams, back bottles, 10 round feeds, 15 round feeds, hoppers, shorter pump arms, undercocker kits, and pump pistol set ups all at very reasonable costs. Switching between styles only takes around 10 minutes or so once you get used to it, and it strips quickly for work on the internals and requires minimal maintenance. Generally, prices range from around 150 (used basic set up) to over 400 (new, VSC custom colored with extras and multiple configurations).

Palmers: Palmers markers in general are largely thought to be some of the best you can get for their type. But you'd be spending an absolute minimum for 370 for a Super Stocker, so just know that if you really like pumps after awhile, this may be where you choose to turn.

Personally, I'd recommend either a PGP 2k marker, or a Phantom, as they're easy to find replacements for, easy to break down for repair, and generally just nice markers.

Best of Luck,
Aegis
"Why is Loud Stupidity so infectious?" Rana, Sa'Aquta Market Fool
Current Armory: {PPS Superstocker][Peacemaker PG][Kingman Hammer Plus][VSC Phantom][ULE Automag][Smartech Knock Off][PM1 d/f][BT TM7][UMS TRGC Tac 8][Tac 8]
Smart Parts, Doc Nickle and Tom Kaye - Nuff Said---MCB Feedback SpecOps Feedback

#7 User is offline   jiu-jitsu fighter 

• Would you rather me barrel tag you or choke you unconscious
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • Brigade Name:Jiu-Jitsu Fighter

Posted 08 November 2007 - 07:13 PM

If you think you will stick with pumps phantom would probably be your best bet. For the simple fact they hold their value alot better if you take care of them. It will take some getting used to but you will love them in the long run.

Heck a year or two ago when I got my first one I hated it (got it really used). I just couldnt see why everyone was "over hyping" them. Got rid of both of them. Was looking around on pbnation. I saw a green and silver acid washed one that I just feel in love with. I looked at the pictures three days before I broke down and bought it. This thing shot like you wouldnt believe. After playing with it a whole day I was hooked.

As a matter of fact I had the phantom, my bro had his dm4 and my buddy had a dm3. We were playing 30 something against three. There were raining down paint and I was picking them off like crazy. Airball was was fun. Up in the 40's. It was so bad that my brother who just stays in the back walked up to the 50. We went in the city and I would be on the opposing teams side picking them off. It was ridiculous how quiet the 14" stock barrel is on it. Well to make a long story short. It was so bad the people were complaining about how unfair teams are. After being told it was 38-3 he was like no wonder they are unfair. Then was informed the three were winning. Better part was they were bragging about the really good guy with the pump (1st day ever using the phantom). It was performing so well the field owner came out and snapped pictures of my brother and I playing on the same team with my buddy on the other. I was one balling people like crazy. The owner goes man you are good (means alot coming from him since he really promotes stock class).

I will say this. If you get you one get a stock. It will help you steady it better. It was so light that I couldnt get aimed on well enough. After you get the feel then you can take off the stock. At least that is what I would do.
Pumpker'd; (V.) When a pump player runs up and shoots you at point blank range because you thought 20bps made you good.

My feedback

#8 User is offline   Zamamee 

• something witty
  • PipPipPip
  • Brigade Name:Zamamee

Posted 09 November 2007 - 01:43 PM

I got a PGP 2K1 for my first pump and I fell in love with pump play. The mobility is the alluring part for me. The only gripe I have with PGP's is the lack of detents, that would be fixed with a trip to Palmer's, but I haven't taken the time. I decided to get a Phantom since I'd heard great things about them, so I found a used VSC Phantom with a 14" barrel and a T-stock. I played a few games with the T-stock and then ditched it. It got in the way for me. Since then I've put an 8" barrel and it's love all over again. My planned up's are an under-cocking kit, and running it island style.

Anyway, if you got the money, go for a Phantom. There are many, many different ways to set up a Phantom to your liking. If you're low on cash go for a PGP, they're great little guns.

#9 User is offline   Diomedes 

• Nerd
  • PipPipPip
  • Brigade Name:Diomedes

Posted 13 November 2007 - 03:18 PM

It might be tough to jump right into stock class, so an open class pump like a Sniper might be a better avenue, but they can be kinda pricey. Something like a Trracer or Maverick could also work, those are extremely inexpensive, under $80, and very reliable.
Lead, follow, or get out of the way.

Read the signs on the front of the desk.

Share this topic:

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users