• You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Modding my ion to woodsball

#1 User is offline   tauman5263 

• Sophomore Member
  • PipPipPip
  • Group: Members

Posted 18 July 2007 - 06:38 PM

i know this is probably not the best place to put this due to many ion haters but oh well. i have an ion and i wanted to make it "tactical", but still have some key characteristics of a speedball gun. what i mean by this is i use my tank as a stock and i don't like tactical stocks, and other stuff too. here's a list of what i have already:

Smart Parts Ion
Ricochet Apache Hopper
48/3000 steel HPA tank
BSA 42mm Red Dot [won't be used until i get the tactical body]

i know its the bare minimum but i will add more as seen in the list below [listed from first to last priority]:

Clamping Feedneck
QEV
12" Palmer Brass Barrel [i was thinking 10" but i don't know]
Deadlywind Hollowpoint Bolt
Deadlywind DT13 Tactical Body w/ BOB [or DT12]
Better Trigger [don't which one though]
Dye Sticky 3 Grips
Dangerous Power RAPS ASA

and to finish it off, i'll get it duracoated spec ops digi to match my fusion ultralites :(

some other things i may consider are:

-Carbon Fiber HPA Tank, I may trade my steel one plus money for my friends carbon fiber one [he has 2 or 3 CF Tanks].
-Apex Tip and Adapter, i'm trying to pump every inch of performance out of this thing.
-Other Tactical Accessories such as flashlights and stuff like that.
-if i decide against the apex, i may get a fake suppressor or shroud for extra "tacticalness"
-a better reg, probably a cp reg or if i have extra cash, an AKA 2 Liter.

what do you think? am i missing any key upgrades that would boost my markers performance?

now you may think "why is the topic called 'modding my ion to woodsball' when he is just going to list upgrades?"
this is where the fun begins. this is also the part that i need your help on. this is just an idea, but i think it just might be crazy enough to work.

Do you think the Blackcell Ion Mag and Feed System will fit on the deadlywind DT12 Body? it mounts on a rail right? if so how?

now for the rest:

if i can put this on, what route should i go:

1) get a qloader.
2) get a warp feed.

the qloader i'm not too sure with, alot of people say they have problems with them and i don't read instructions that come with stuff so i probably wouldn't be able to figure it out.

the only problem i would have with the warp feed is that it will constrict me to shooting with my right hand since th warp would be on the left. is this true?

any other ideas for making my tactical ion?
The signature in this location has been removed due to FORUM RULES VIOLATIONS. Please check this link : FORUM SIGNATURE RULES AND REGS and feel free to repost your signature according to the guidelines set by this forum.

Content inappropriate

#2 Guest_TM SNPR_*

• Group: Guests

Posted 18 July 2007 - 06:41 PM

how much are you willing to spend?

#3 User is offline   vasmir 

• Delta Paintball Team
  • PipPipPip
  • Brigade Name:vasmir

Posted 18 July 2007 - 06:44 PM

Get the 360 QEV for speed, or the up'd bolt for consistency. Getting both will counteract the effect you'd get from having one or the other.

Plus I don't understand what you mean by modding your ION for "woodsball". A paintball gun is a paintball gun. You mean milsim?

#4 User is offline   blackcelldrumr15 

• Group: Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 18 July 2007 - 08:07 PM

View Posttauman5263, on Jul 18 2007, 09:38 PM, said:

i know this is probably not the best place to put this due to many ion haters but oh well. i have an ion and i wanted to make it "tactical", but still have some key characteristics of a speedball gun. what i mean by this is i use my tank as a stock and i don't like tactical stocks, and other stuff too. here's a list of what i have already:

Smart Parts Ion
Ricochet Apache Hopper
48/3000 steel HPA tank
BSA 42mm Red Dot [won't be used until i get the tactical body]

i know its the bare minimum but i will add more as seen in the list below [listed from first to last priority]:

Clamping Feedneck
QEV
12" Palmer Brass Barrel [i was thinking 10" but i don't know]
Deadlywind DT13 Tactical Body w/ BOB [or DT12]
Better Trigger [don't which one though]
Dye Sticky 3 Grips
Dangerous Power RAPS ASA

and to finish it off, i'll get it duracoated spec ops digi to match my fusion ultralites :unsure:

some other things i may consider are:

-Carbon Fiber HPA Tank, I may trade my steel one plus money for my friends carbon fiber one [he has 2 or 3 CF Tanks].
-Apex Tip and Adapter, i'm trying to pump every inch of performance out of this thing.
-Other Tactical Accessories such as flashlights and stuff like that.
-if i decide against the apex, i may get a fake suppressor or shroud for extra "tacticalness"
-a better reg, probably a cp reg or if i have extra cash, an AKA 2 Liter.

what do you think? am i missing any key upgrades that would boost my markers performance?

now you may think "why is the topic called 'modding my ion to woodsball' when he is just going to list upgrades?"
this is where the fun begins. this is also the part that i need your help on. this is just an idea, but i think it just might be crazy enough to work.

Do you think the Blackcell Ion Mag and Feed System will fit on the deadlywind DT12 Body? it mounts on a rail right? if so how?

now for the rest:

if i can put this on, what route should i go:

1) get a qloader.
2) get a warp feed.

the qloader i'm not too sure with, alot of people say they have problems with them and i don't read instructions that come with stuff so i probably wouldn't be able to figure it out.

the only problem i would have with the warp feed is that it will constrict me to shooting with my right hand since th warp would be on the left. is this true?

any other ideas for making my tactical ion?

OK, so I run with an Ion myself and have a lot of mods on it already. So I will give you my set up and some suggestions from experience.

Smart Parts Ion
CP Rake Trigger
New Designz Bolt
New Designz On/Off ASA
Smart Parts Low Rise Feedneck
Blackcell Ion Body
Blackcell Commando Air Thru Stock
Remote Line
HPA
Stiffi Barrel

My suggestions/experience:
(This is if you go with the Blackcell Bodykit)
Now, if you get the Blackcell bodykit you cant have a QEV without modifying the body kit. This is because the body itself is too thick and you cant get the QEV to screw in far enough to seal on the O-Rings. Another thing with the Blackcell, if you have a low rise feedneck you will have to mod the body again in order for it to work. You have to cut off the two closest "nobs" I'll call them, closest to the feedneck hole. I would also recommend getting a little bit larger tank than a 45, unless you are one of those people that don't shoot too much

With your question about using the Blackcell feed system, I'm not completely sure what would work on that because the rails on the top of the blackcell body are very large. If you would like to see some shots of the Blackcell body you can check out my Brigade with the link below this. Other than that you have a nice setup. Although when it all comes down to it, its what you feel most comfortable with and what you can work with the best. Just remember it isn't the gun that matters, its the person. I know this might not have answered all your questions but I hope that if gave you a few things to consider and a little bit of help.
Posted Image
Facebook - Group: Banned #18
PMR - P90 Ion FOR SALE - System X Sniper

#5 User is offline   Philipp122 

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Brigade Name:Philipp122

Posted 19 July 2007 - 02:14 PM

The problem with the Q-Loader is that it only holds a hundred rounds; not a problem if you don't mind carrying six pods around with you. The warp feed may lower your profile by lowering the vertical height, but it also adds width and weight to your marker.

Also, vasmir, i think what he means by "woodsball" modding is that he's less worried about size and weight than he would be if he was trying to design it for speedball. If I made my Ion a "woodball" marker, I would add a stock, a body with rails, and a few rail attachments; maybe a red dot sight or a regular scope.

Also I would personally get a Q-Lock for a feedneck and a NDZ Trigger; they are very good triggers for their price. If I had the money, I would go with a Critical RPM trigger though. It's like the Rolls-Royce of Ion triggers :dodgy:

#6 User is offline   Simmy 

• Forum Member
  • PipPip
  • Brigade Name:Simmy

Posted 20 July 2007 - 06:09 AM

Do the performance mods first. A QEV, new bolt, and an aftermarket board are a must. The clippard style QEV is the better one of the bunch. I use the Lucky version. A bolt is also a must. Lighter, faster cycling, and less chops. A SP firebolt (I use), Warrior, NDZ, Bob Long pillow bolt, or Tech T are all good choices. The other thing at the top of the list is a new board. With lighter internals and faster ROF, you will need a good board. I use the Scenario Dreams T-board with a membrane adaptor. Gives you instant on and various adjustments for dwell, debounce, ROF, and modes of fire. I like the Warrior body myself. I also use a Armson stealth barrel. I use to have an Apex but sold it. I do not like to mess with the Apex during a firefight. Also an aftermarket reg will handle the higher ROF better than the stock reg. Also, I would not mess with a Q loader. A good hopper will handle what you need. I like Evolution II. Here is a pic of mine. Hope this helps.

Posted Image

This post has been edited by Simmy: 20 July 2007 - 06:11 AM

#7 User is offline   Philipp122 

• PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 20 July 2007 - 06:59 PM

That Ion is beautiful! Good job on it. I like that stock.

#8 User is offline   tauman5263 

• Sophomore Member
  • PipPipPip

Posted 22 July 2007 - 10:38 AM

i did tons of research over the weekend and i ended up with a more refined list of what i want. i'm ditching the whole woodsball thing because it costs lots of money and i can get more peformance upgrades with the money i save. so here's the list:

Low-Rise Clamping Feedneck
Clippard QEV
12" Palmer Brass Barrel
CP Sling Trigger
Dye Sticky 3 Grips
Smart Parts On/Off or Dye Airport On/Off [and a rail]

a little later down the road[perhaps a few years],

Virtue Board or Tadao Board - lots of features and all the modes i could ever want.
AKA 2 Liter Regulator -has the fastest recharge rate of any regulator, i think 160 cps.
Crossfire 68/45 HPA Tank - I heard crossfire has the best tank regs. they're also cheaper than most.
DraXxus Pulse Loader - i watched a video [pigtv tech extra] on it and now i want it.

Get the 360 QEV for speed, or the up'd bolt for consistency. Getting both will counteract the effect you'd get from having one or the other.

this statement doesn't even begin to make since. the qev adds to effeciency because it allws you to lower your dwell. the bolt also adds to effeciency by allowing more air flow, which lets you lower your operating pressure. after market bolts are also lighter which allows you to lower your dwell.

if i'm not mistaken, raising your dwell will increase your consistency. if anything, the bolt would make the gun shoot faster because it is lighter.

please explain your reasoning behind this statement.

BTW, the deadlywind hollowpoint bolt is the lightest bolt in the market.
The signature in this location has been removed due to FORUM RULES VIOLATIONS. Please check this link : FORUM SIGNATURE RULES AND REGS and feel free to repost your signature according to the guidelines set by this forum.

Content inappropriate

#9 User is offline   billybob 

• The John Deere of paintball. Nothing mows as nice.
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • Location:Leavenworth County Kansas, everyone's a prisoner here
  • Brigade Name:billybob

Posted 22 July 2007 - 01:06 PM

NOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!! Did someone recommend an Evolution hopper? What's wrong with you? Get a VLocity (or Jr.), Halo, Empire Reloader, or Pulse. I suggest the Pulse if you can find one, I've now been witness to the awesomeness of the Pulse and it hands down whoops everything elses butt. After the Pulse I would suggest a VLocity or Halo. The Reloader is good but I'm not a fan of the sound activation, I see too many possibilites for something to jack it up. Oh and I should probably tell you why you should stay away from the EvLution hoppers. so here's a list

1. too many lid problems. They don't always close, if they do close they don't always stay closed, they are VERY prone to breaking (in more ways than one)
2. battery covers. prone to breaking
3. Eggs don't feed as fast as they are supposed to. Even with the Z board (fastest Egg board) I was able to outshoot it with my stock Ion board.
4. Ugly
5. Mine tended to blend paint rather often
"Life sucks" ~LT
"What the Hell? Is Abercrombie making people now!!!?"~ Vash

#10 User is offline   Cyanidepoison 

• SpecOps's Infamous.
  • PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 22 July 2007 - 01:08 PM

Make it a mech :)
The sun rises to a crisp blanket of snow...

#11 User is offline   Philipp122 

• PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 22 July 2007 - 03:32 PM

View Postbillybob, on Jul 22 2007, 04:06 PM, said:

NOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!! Did someone recommend an Evolution hopper? What's wrong with you? Get a VLocity (or Jr.), Halo, Empire Reloader, or Pulse. I suggest the Pulse if you can find one, I've now been witness to the awesomeness of the Pulse and it hands down whoops everything elses butt. After the Pulse I would suggest a VLocity or Halo. The Reloader is good but I'm not a fan of the sound activation, I see too many possibilites for something to jack it up. Oh and I should probably tell you why you should stay away from the EvLution hoppers. so here's a list

1. too many lid problems. They don't always close, if they do close they don't always stay closed, they are VERY prone to breaking (in more ways than one)
2. battery covers. prone to breaking
3. Eggs don't feed as fast as they are supposed to. Even with the Z board (fastest Egg board) I was able to outshoot it with my stock Ion board.
4. Ugly
5. Mine tended to blend paint rather often

Are you are refering to the original Evolution?

My Evo II is absolutely perfect; it's never broken, it's not cracked (or scratched, for that matter), the lid opens and closes like a car door (it opens at will, and it stays closed whe you close it). Also, I have NEVER changed the battery, even after 5 months of use at least twice a month.

Anyways. nice list, tauman. You could also consider a Trinity Center Mount On/Off; it gets the macro-line out of the way when shooting left-handed. Very comfortable when trying to lower your profile, especially for speedball. Downside: it's expensive.

One more thing: bolts do not raise your ROF; that is a myth. Aftermarket bolts have less kick due to reduced weight and a little bit better efficiency. Also, a bolt with two tail rings instead of one is said to have more efficiency due to properly sealing the firing chamber, but I have never seen actual data to support this; don't go buying a bolt based on the number of tail O-rings :laugh:

This post has been edited by Philipp122: 22 July 2007 - 03:35 PM

#12 User is offline   tauman5263 

• Sophomore Member
  • PipPipPip

Posted 22 July 2007 - 07:01 PM

Anyways. nice list, tauman. You could also consider a Trinity Center Mount On/Off; it gets the macro-line out of the way when shooting left-handed. Very comfortable when trying to lower your profile, especially for speedball. Downside: it's expensive.

the two ASA's that i listed have centermounted macroline, and they look cooler than the trinity ones. i also heard bad reviews of trinity's ASA's. price is also an issue, since i'm also upgrading my camo [getting ultralites :dry: ] and my goggles [getting a vforce grill with chrome gold lense].

One more thing: bolts do not raise your ROF; that is a myth. Aftermarket bolts have less kick due to reduced weight and a little bit better efficiency. Also, a bolt with two tail rings instead of one is said to have more efficiency due to properly sealing the firing chamber, but I have never seen actual data to support this; don't go buying a bolt based on the number of tail O-rings

wouldn't a lighter bolt allow the marker to cycle faster? thus resulting in a higher ROF as long as you have an uncapped board. doesn't matter to me either way, i don't think i'll ever need more than 15 bps except when showing off my new gun :)
BTW, here's a link to the bolt i want for those of you not familar with deadlywinds new bolt:

http://store.deadlywind.com/product/a4ba99...677febce5d.aspx

it weighs in at 7.4 grams making it the lightest bolt ever made for the ion.

NOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!! Did someone recommend an Evolution hopper? What's wrong with you? Get a VLocity (or Jr.), Halo, Empire Reloader, or Pulse. I suggest the Pulse if you can find one, I've now been witness to the awesomeness of the Pulse and it hands down whoops everything elses butt.

if you hadn't noticed the pulse was already on my list. right now i have a ricochet apache which will do until i get a new board.

about the barrel, though, is the barrel any less accurate if i get a shorter one? i was thinking about getting a 10" palmer brass. i think that i have read something somewhere that said that all you need is 7-8 inches of effective barrel length [unported barrel length]. but then last night i was watching some of tygers tip clips to refresh my memory and he said that 12" of effective barrel length is the best. i want the barrel to be as short as can be while still being accurate.

what bore size do you recommend for the barrel? i was thinking about getting the larger one [.690] since i sometimes use large and medium size paints. i plan on using draxxus xball paint alot.

Content inappropriate

#13 User is offline   Philipp122 

• PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 22 July 2007 - 07:20 PM

Longer barrels won't neccesarily add accuracy; the most important thing is that the barrel bore matches your paint. This will result in a better seal, therefore increasing air efficiency and using all of the air to propel the ball forward.

Congrats on getting the Ultralites; I am so jealous :dry: . The best I can afford is regular Advantage camouflage from Wal-Mart, but atleast it gets the job done.

Also, getting the Hollowpoint is a very good desicion; it's the best bolt on the market. Basically, you are going to own my dream Ion, minus the Freak barrel kit :)

#14 User is offline   billybob 

• The John Deere of paintball. Nothing mows as nice.
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • Location:Leavenworth County Kansas, everyone's a prisoner here
  • Brigade Name:billybob

Posted 22 July 2007 - 07:37 PM

As far as my review of the EvLution goes it's based on my experience with mine and what I've witnessed of other peoples' Eggs. I have the II which I upgraded with the Z board. My stock Ion board out shoots it.

As for suggesting the Pulse I hadn't realized that you already had that on your list. If you have your heart set on the Pulse I suggest getting it ASAP!!! They're getting very hard to come by in many places and the RF chips can be even harder to find.

This post has been edited by billybob: 23 July 2007 - 02:57 AM

"Life sucks" ~LT
"What the Hell? Is Abercrombie making people now!!!?"~ Vash

#15 User is offline   Philipp122 

• PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 22 July 2007 - 09:06 PM

IS your Ion stock? I'm not saying I don't believe you, I have just never seen anyone have a problem with the Evo II on their Ion. Oh well,I guess nothing is impossible :P

Share this topic:

• (2 Pages)
  • +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users