Special Ops Paintball: Chrono without the Chrono??? - Special Ops Paintball

• (3 Pages)
  • +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Chrono without the Chrono??? How can I chrono my gun without a chronograph???

#1 User is offline   Eagle921 

• Forum Newbie
  • Pip
  • Group: Members
  • Brigade Name:EAGLE921

Post icon  Posted 14 February 2007 - 10:20 AM

Okay. So, I was hosting a game in my back yard and my friend was shooting hot (I didn't know it at the time) and I get shot in the hand. I am bleeding, but nothing serious. I soon have a recurring thought of getting a chronograph. I look online, and those things are EXPENSIVE!!! I'd buy, but I don't get paid much. I know that I need to chrono and it is better to spend a few bucks then to lose an eye, but are there other ways of chronographing your gun like with cardboard or some other material that can only be penetrated or damaged at a certain speed??? Can anyone give me some ideas.

Music is like candy, we should throw out all the rappers.

#2 Guest_TM SNPR_*

• Group: Guests

Posted 14 February 2007 - 10:29 AM

well...you can set up a distance of about 100ft or so, then shoot the gun and see how long it takes the paint to go that distance, then you just divide the distance by the time and that should give you the ballpark of the velocity. but i would invest in a decent chrono though.

#3 User is offline   druid 

• Celtic Warrior - Mo Anam Cara
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • Brigade Name:druidsdecendant

Posted 14 February 2007 - 10:33 AM

you cannot safely chronograph a marker without one. You should not attempt to play without it. You and your friends could chip in $10-15 per person and have a parent order you one on-line or go to a proshop and get one over the counter.
Warped A5; M98; 68 Magnum w/ AGD 6-Pack, Automaggot #92 Custom Modder #5
"Political correctness is a doctrine, fostered by a delusional, illogical minority, and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a turd by the clean end."
I got my OWN smiley...

#4 User is offline   tribe 

• getin the hang of things
  • PipPip
  • Brigade Name:backwoods soldier

Posted 14 February 2007 - 10:39 AM

my local shop sells their chronos for like 70 smacks ( thats a hand held one) you can find them on ebay alittle cheaper..... so if you do like druid said and have your freinds pitch in you can easily afford one.......next to a mask they are one of the most important things to have
IPB Image
IPB Image

If We Cant Do It, It Doesnt Need To Be Done!

#5 User is offline   noobiekilla 

• Get In My Belly!
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • Brigade Name:screemindemon

Posted 14 February 2007 - 10:49 AM

Have everyone split the cost. So you would have to pay about 1/6 of the $60-$80 making it about $10-$20 dollars for you.

#6 User is offline   Gerik Bensing 

• SEPA Paintball Community Leader
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Brigade Name:Gerik Bensing

Posted 15 February 2007 - 08:55 AM

There are theoretical ways of doing it, but you won't be able to accurately measure it. Just have your friends all pitch in some money and buy one.

South Eastern Pennsylvania Paintball Community is dedicated to helping organize games in the area - Join Today!
My Feedback --- All You Need to Know About Filling Your Own CO2

#7 User is offline   oldguny 

• The Chicago type writer.
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • Brigade Name:Oldguny

Posted 18 February 2007 - 06:46 PM

Safely......................NO!

When i see you your in my cross hairs,but when you see me your looking over your sholder still wondering why that tree is waving at you. "Explosives slove everthing"-Sandy WBC I'm going for a Sunday drive Navy Seal Style

#8 Guest_Dream of Nullification_*

Posted 20 February 2007 - 12:17 AM

View PostTM SNPR, on Feb 14 2007, 11:29 AM, said:

well...you can set up a distance of about 100ft or so, then shoot the gun and see how long it takes the paint to go that distance, then you just divide the distance by the time and that should give you the ballpark of the velocity. but i would invest in a decent chrono though.

theroticly yes, but when you consider its moving 300 feet per second that means in .01 of a second its moved 3 foot. thats 1/100th of a second for every meter, even with the worlds best eyesight and the worlds best stopwatch, your never going to get it right, only a machine can do that. thus chronos were invented.

if you dont belive me get any stop watch and stop it on 1 millisecond, see if you can get it. id be surprised if you get below 20 other than sheer luck. then rember thats 3 feet. now factor in you accuratly measured out 100ft and then rember you have to stop it at the very moment the ball crosses that mark

its not an easy feat, its not going to be anywhere close to an accurate measurement and it wont work, sorry.

chronograph is the only way to go. BUT there are ways to do it for free. find a local pro-feild and use there chronograph, most will let you use it without any price or if they do charge a very small fee. have everyone go to the feild and get chronoed. see if the feild has safety devices they will snap over your velocity screw so you cant mess with the velocity. then tada free chronoing.

if your shootin co2, get chronoed at 250 due to heat its gonna spike and that gives 50fps buffer range for spikes. if your shootin hpa anything below 290 is good

#9 Guest_TM SNPR_*

Posted 20 February 2007 - 07:24 AM

i know its not the safest and thats why i told him to get a chrono.

#10 User is offline   100toakill 

• Designed to raise hell.
  • PipPip
  • Brigade Name:100toakill

Posted 20 February 2007 - 07:31 AM

You can't, unless you happen to have a high-speed camera and something who is really good with math.
100toakill says: HAIL TRUE METAL

#11 User is offline   RenegadeSniper 

• "Paintballers do it till their balls explode"
  • Pip
  • Brigade Name:Riceburner

Posted 20 February 2007 - 11:12 AM

enless you have access to ballistics gel & are a physics major
get a CHRONO

#12 User is offline   House of Daggers 

• Arrogance has to be earned
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • Brigade Name:killasnipr

Posted 20 February 2007 - 11:35 AM

Unless you are a Mythbuster, You should get a chrono. Handheld ones are like 60-70 bux.

#13 User is offline   ^!) 

• ...for tomorrow we die.
  • PipPipPipPip

Posted 20 February 2007 - 11:39 AM

if one gun is chrono'd at around 280 or whatever.... and you have to be sure that it's still shooting that speed somehow....

just put the set marker next to a different marker, and shoot them both at the same time... and you'll be able to see the flight of which ball is going faster than the other. Lower the speed of the other marker until it's slower than the set marker.

*this is totally unsafe compared to other ways (like a chrono), but better than nothing.
Do not go gentle into that good night,
Rage, rage against the dying of the light.

#14 User is offline   euglow54 

• Bring it...
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • Brigade Name:euglow54

Posted 20 February 2007 - 11:42 AM

I bought the RadarCHRON online at ebay for fifty bucks (you know, that little triangular yellow chrono?) It works great, it's easy to use. Just check online, you can find a good deal.

Also, I don't think anyone can chrono without a chronograph lol
IPB Image
Kill by Necessity, Capture by Design
"Well, euglow54 might be the exact reason to keep the full head gear... " -Armory

#15 Guest_Aztec Pumper_*

Posted 20 February 2007 - 05:27 PM

I've seen enough shots to determine if its too fast. I usually play, in my backyard or something, with it [safely] so that it doesnt go as far as I'd like it to go, but cause I do not have a chrono, I make it safe. It works well and it still gets the job done. ;)

-Aztec

Share this topic:

• (3 Pages)
  • +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users